Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Long as we’re talking about numbers, that 1 trillion population estimate for Coruscant is insanely low— iirc covering an earth-sized planet with the population density of Manhattan clocks in way north of that before you even take into account the mile-high skyscrapers and hundreds of layers of undercity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Could've sworn Legends Coruscant used to say 1 quadrillion for its population rather than trillion on the ol' Wook

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Depends on how much of the planet is under constant reconstruction. The Works from Episode 2 were widely abandoned as a redevelopment program was underway and that was a huge swathe.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ninjahedgehog posted:

Long as we’re talking about numbers, that 1 trillion population estimate for Coruscant is insanely low— iirc covering an earth-sized planet with the population density of Manhattan clocks in way north of that before you even take into account the mile-high skyscrapers and hundreds of layers of undercity
Depends on which definition of "billion" you use. If you go with the old English meaning then it's a million million, not a thousand million.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Wasent it something in the trillions of sentient lives lost as the grand total for the whole war? and that was over only 5 years!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Manhattan has ~30000 residents/square km (and about twice that during the day because of commuters), and the Earth has ~500,000,000 square km of surface area (including the oceans), which would work out at 15T people.

A population of 1T is pretty reasonable by sci-fi standards of accuracy.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
To go back a page to the clone numbers, it took me a bit of digging to find this since it came up in a different thread a few years back, but the 3 million figure is used for a few different random things, whether it's immediately post-Geonosis or even the size of the clone army at the end of the war, depending on the source.

The Essential Guide to Warfare, which tries to reconcile many of these inconsistences in the old EU and make sense of it where possible, says that the original order by Sifo-Dyas was for 3 million combat troops, not including support personal, ship crews, pilots, and whatnot. That order quickly gets increased by an unknown factor once the war starts, and then you get additional sources like Spaarti clones (Which can be grown in about a year), and IIRC it's also implied the Kaminoans has some facilities elsewhere as well. There's also implied to be various planetary and sector defense forces that would assist the clones, and those may be lumped into the banner of Republic Army and Navy as well (In the old EU, this was done to try and reconcile the many older sources claiming the Republic had a military of some size that formed the basis of the Empire's military, with Dreadnaughts and Victory class ships running around, with the prequels implying the Republic had no real standing army or navy at all), and assorted references to sectors or bases having armies in the hundreds of thousands waiting to be deployed while fighting is going on elsewhere, implying the army (Or clones, depending on how you interpret things) gets very large very quickly.

Regardless, the Republic either has a bottomless supply of clones or they're in short supply, depending on the needs of the individual story area where the fighting is.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I mean Dad Batch did show Kaminoans had some colony worlds with cloning facilities too like on a gas giant planet.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

I mean Dad Batch did show Kaminoans had some colony worlds with cloning facilities too like on a gas giant planet.

Which itself was a neat reference to the early ideas for The Empire Strikes Back, where Lando was hiding out on Cloud City because he was a clone refugee from the Clone Wars, and the planet itself was home to a race of tall, slim aliens who ride flying manta rays:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Not for another 8 seasons

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Lord Hydronium posted:

Pretty sure that was the figure for the whole war.

I remember it being written as hundreds of trillions killed by the end of the war.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

OhFunny posted:

I remember it being written as hundreds of trillions killed by the end of the war.
Yep, you're right, just looked it up. End of The Unifying Force puts it at 365 trillion.

e: For comparison, total galactic population is about 100 quadrillion.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 27, 2022

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I finished Shadow of the Sith

The plot is basically a strung together set of contrivances and the protagonists just consistently having poo poo luck but I enjoyed it for the cool set-pieces and the character moments. It won't magically make you like TROS but nothing really could lol

The good:
- Establishing how the NR 20 years on is essentially a bureaucratic hellhole that gives Luke & Lando basically no help outside the occasional sympathetic contact like Shriv
- Komat; the character, her weird post-nuclear apocalypse planet, her droid companion who reminds Lando of L3, just... all of it
- The CSA's involvement, for all you Brian Daley nerds out there
- Lando, who, in a book that excels at making you feel bad for nearly everyone involved, you truly feel for the most. Poor guy.
- Ochi, who here is maybe a bit too far removed from his wacky comics depiction, but still is a compelling rear end in a top hat villain who meets his end in a way that makes more sense than how TROS originally depicted it

The meh/bad:
- So hopefully at some point Luke and Lando told Rey where her parents are buried, right?
- Rey's parents. They get juuuust enough characterization to make you care about them but the real stars of the story really are Luke & Lando, and I don't know how to feel about that
- The stuff with Kiza and the Acolytes, which constantly made me feel like I had missed a book defining them further beyond the brief bits they get in Aftermath
- All the TROS characters like Beaumont Kin (the "secrets only the Sith knew" guy) and Pryde just kind of being there in the course of events. Though Pryde at least was entertaining.

I'm surprised they didn't just finally come out and say that Jannah is indeed Lando's daughter but I guess they're holding off on that revelation for another time

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 2, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They'll reveal that when they do their equivalent of the Luke Leia kiss except for worse.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I just started it this morning. I thought it took place earlier so I was a little disappointed to see when it takes place.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Worth noting this is also like the third modern SW novel in a row with overt references to the ROTS novelization, which is great

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cross-Section posted:

Worth noting this is also like the third modern SW novel in a row with overt references to the ROTS novelization, which is great

yeah i just started it and i liked that. that book was way way too good for the movie it was based on.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Shadows of the Sith is the first Star Wars book in years I'm tempted to actually read. Something actually about Luke, the Jedi, and the Sith post-ROTJ is exactly what I was hoping for since TFA came out.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I saw that next week's issue of the Star Wars main title is going to be an anthology issue, and one of the stories is going to be a coda to the Poe Dameron comic addressing Snap's unceremonious death in the movie, making it the first canonical story set post-TROS. Which is appropriate given the final arc of the Poe comic was also the first story set post-TLJ.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

I saw that next week's issue of the Star Wars main title is going to be an anthology issue, and one of the stories is going to be a coda to the Poe Dameron comic addressing Snap's unceremonious death in the movie, making it the first canonical story set post-TROS. Which is appropriate given the final arc of the Poe comic was also the first story set post-TLJ.

And I really enjoyed that first issue, too. Just Rey, Finn, and Poe chilling out around the sabacc table and bringing each other up to speed on poo poo

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

And I really enjoyed that first issue, too. Just Rey, Finn, and Poe chilling out around the sabacc table and bringing each other up to speed on poo poo

That was also the first time that Rey, Poe, and Finn appeared together in a Star Wars work in any medium! Unless there's some split second shot at the end of TLJ I'm forgetting.

It's still wild to me that based on the various character interactions in the first two movies, Treverrow's idea was to establish a Rey/Poe romance.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Frankly it's even more wild that two of the three main “new generation” characters didn’t even meet until the very end of the second movie in the trilogy. And yeah, Rey, Finn, and Poe are all together for the first time when Rey lifts the rocks and helps the Resistance evacuate onto the Falcon.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They all meet at the end of TFA when everyone gathers round to watch the map though.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Rey was kidnapped at the time.

e: oh, you mean the R2 scene. Yeah, I guess they're in the same place at the same time, but they don’t say anything to each other, and then Rey leaves immediately

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
And Finn is in a coma

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Zoran posted:

Frankly it's even more wild that two of the three main “new generation” characters didn’t even meet until the very end of the second movie in the trilogy.

And the beat where Rey and Poe actually interact was only included at the request of Colin Trevorrow, who was planning a romance for them in Episode 9.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Which in and of itself is an interesting look into how wildly wrong you can be when trying to explain why people like Star Wars.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

“So China didn’t like what we did in the last one so we’re gonna give Finn a race-appropriate girlfriend in the next movie, and hint that she’s Lando’s long lost daughter.”

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Does Finn even have any romantic tension with Jannah? She was originally conceived as his long-lost sister, so I don't think a romance was necessarily what they had in mind for them. Finn's still clearly super hung up on Rey during the movie, at least.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Robot Style posted:

Does Finn even have any romantic tension with Jannah? She was originally conceived as his long-lost sister, so I don't think a romance was necessarily what they had in mind for them. Finn's still clearly super hung up on Rey during the movie, at least.

Actually I think you'll find he just wanted to tell her he was force sensitive :shepface:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Animal Friend posted:

Actually I think you'll find he just wanted to tell her he was force sensitive :shepface:

Also wouldn't she have probably been able to sense that through The Force already?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The trilogy is schizophrenic as gently caress so who knows where one idea starts and another ends. Is Finn force sensitive, is he in love with her? Could be many combinations because they had no idea what they were doing.

Lando’s daughter feels like they were trying to appease racists by giving Finn a love interest with the same skin color. It’s annoying enough that they too conveniently just had her show up and run into Lando at the end.

I like two things in that movie and hate the rest. Smoke growing in a vat, and Lando’s little pep talk to Finn. That’s it. I’m never watching it again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Casimir Radon posted:

The trilogy is schizophrenic as gently caress so who knows where one idea starts and another ends. Is Finn force sensitive, is he in love with her? Could be many combinations because they had no idea what they were doing.

Lando’s daughter feels like they were trying to appease racists by giving Finn a love interest with the same skin color. It’s annoying enough that they too conveniently just had her show up and run into Lando at the end.

I like two things in that movie and hate the rest. Smoke growing in a vat, and Lando’s little pep talk to Finn. That’s it. I’m never watching it again.

they every very clearly wanted finn to get with rey or maybe poe but then 3 is just awful and shits over any good that the other two had. gently caress even sheeve couldn't save it outside this parody of parody. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svxnf4zNXWI

feel bad for finn and poe, they are loving wasted and rey is just meh outside last of jedi and parts of force.

gonna say og thrawn trilogy holds up even if heir to the empire is kinds overly slow and awkward at points.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 18, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Rey's character is pretty interesting in the EpVII-EpVIII arc, where she starts out being basically a teenaged fangirl of the franchise and gets a chance to isekai herself into it in EpVII, and then she heads off to find the "real heroes" of the setting to fix all the problems and by the end of EpVIII has realised that she can't hand off the responsibility to a grownup and has to pitch in herself to save the galaxy.

Then Ep IX happens and I dunno WTF is going on there.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The intent of Rey's character in 9 was to be like "Okay, so you want to be a Disney Princess, huh? Here you go - I hope everyone you care about still loves you when they find out you're Princess Hitler."

Obviously the movie couldn't actually pull that off in any meaningful way, but at least it's giving her something to deal with in the movie. Episode 8 pretty much had her self actualize as "Rey Nolastname, the last Jedi", so giving her some kind of arc in the next movie without inventing a new plot point was going to be difficult regardless.

Trevorrow's Episode 9 script, while better in some places, didn't really give Rey any personal motivation at all. Her arc in that movie starts with her saying "I think some of the Jedi rules are dumb - why can't I kiss Poe?" and ends with her saying "I will abolish the Jedi rules I think are dumb - I will probably kiss Poe".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Trevorrow's script is mostly better for Finn & Rose and for not bringing Palpatine somehow.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i have to admit palpatine returning dark empire style was something i enjoyed a lot. it was just that literally everything else around that was really dumb

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I don't think it's an inherently bad idea, and I do think that the best way to do it if you're gonna do it is just have him be back and gesture vaguely at cloning or whatever. But what an incredible own-goal to literally put the line "Somehow Palpatine returned" in the movies.

It's a shame that Episode III pretty explicitly kills off every single Trade Federation guy, because that'd be a good choice for an element to bring back to tie all nine movies together. It comes down to that, Palpatine, and maybe Coruscant, which feels very conspicuous in its absence.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Rochallor posted:

It's a shame that Episode III pretty explicitly kills off every single Trade Federation guy, because that'd be a good choice for an element to bring back to tie all nine movies together. It comes down to that, Palpatine, and maybe Coruscant, which feels very conspicuous in its absence.

I remember before Episode 9 came out, one of the more consistent fake leaks / fan theories was that the Resistance would bolster their army by reactivating an old droid factory. It could have been a nice way to bring things full circle and continue the "underdogs defeat a technologically superior enemy" theme by having the previously cutting edge droid army become the ragtag obsolete fighting force.

Coruscant is definitely a weird omission from the sequels, especially since it almost made it in a few times. Abrams originally wanted to blow it up in 7 before being told no and coming up with Hosnian instead. Then Trevorrow was going to include it in his version of 9 as the slum-ridden capitol of the First Order, and Abrams originally had it in his version of the movie as the site of Palaptine's resurrection before creating Exegol like two months before filming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Do they ever actually namedrop Hosnian in TFA? I remember walking out of the theater thinking they exploded Coruscant and getting corrected later by the Wook