Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Sector Corrector posted:

Just finished the extended universe + WATCHING the Mandalorian. One question. Who's Grand Admiral Thrawn?

Short answer: Watch "Star Wars: Rebels". He's essentially the main bad guy there.

Longer answer: He's the main antagonist of the first trilogy of books that was released in the early 1990s after a long drought of no Star Wars books. The trilogy was touted as an official sequel to the trilogy, which is why it is still so beloved by fans today. Thrawn is a military genius, imagine a sort of Alien Sherlock Holmes who uses his powers for evil. His fascination lies with other species' culture and art, from which he derives a lot of his deductions and predictions in military campaigns. Also, he is one of the few aliens who rose to any sort of rank in the human-centric Empire. All in all he's a pretty cool character, and a lot of old-school fans really like him, so it was kind of a big deal for fans to see him introduced in Rebels, and an even bigger deal to see him brought into the live-action universe via his mention by Ahsoka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Chairman Capone posted:

Episode 2 of the Dark Empire fan animation adaptation has been released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIM76LKh6zs

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i listened to the abridged version and it just kinda ended with a fart if i remember.
Yeah, it went something like

[huge battle]

[more battle]

[even more battle]

[Mace wins]

"Kar Vastor, you're under arrest."

THE END

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Somehow I can't get into the High Republic stuff.

I can't help but think
a) it'll be retconned as soon as the next big thing comes around (see the Dark Horse Old Republic stuff)
b) literally none of the stuff that happens has any impact on the Star Wars I know (i.e. the movies, the TV shows)
c) it's just too far removed from it all, so it may as well be any other random sci-fi franchise.

Now read a lot of EU stuff in my day (all the comics from the early Marvel through Dark Horse up to Marvel about three years ago), loved some of the standalone books (Tales From..., Kenobi, Plagueis, Scoundrels), but somehow this just doesn't grab me, like at all.

People who like the High Republic: I genuinely want to get into it, but find myself extremely reluctant, and even unsure where to start.

Please sell me on the concept.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Animal Friend posted:

The idea of giving a clone a megalomaniacal personality but then also making multiple copies of them also seems like an opportunity for comedy.

As proven by the Mauler Twins in Invincible.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Robot Style posted:

What's funny about Palpatine's first name being Sheev is that it's phonetically very close to the pronunciation of the Irish word sídhe, which is spelled sìth in Scotland.

So his name is just Sith Palpatine.

It's not easy being a German Star Wars fan, because some of the names just sound very weird to us.

Fett is literally the German word for fat, both the adjective and the noun.

Maul means the mouth of an animal, like a muzzle. "Halt dein Maul" also is used as an expression like "shut your trap".

And Sheev sounds like the German word schief, which
https://dict.leo.org/englisch-deutsch/schief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

:allears: Even the dad jokes are enjoyable

Let's not go that far.

"Palpatine promised he would leave us in peace!"
"He said he would leave you in pieces."

I vaguely remember lines like that from reading the novel ages ago, and those jokes stuck out like a sore thumb. They did feel pretty Lucas though.