Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My only real complaint about the High Republic so far is how thickly they lay on “We are all the Republic”. This is the least screwed up the galaxy has ever been in a story, at least on the surface, but they overdid it a bit knocking the point home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve never watched an episode. It looked like such a visual downgrade from TCW or Rebels, and aimed much more at kids. Now after the Sequel Trilogy has concluded I can’t really be made to care about poo poo that’s very tied into it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Started it, haven’t gotten very far yet. I’m sure I’ll be happy with it. Alliances wasn’t that great, but otherwise Zahn has been doing pretty good lately.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

From what I remember it was commissioned but then got bumped because another author was friends with someone in licensing. Then it just never came out and the guy quit writing. It was posted online by the author 5 or 6 years ago I think. I never actually read it.

So what do we think of The Bad Batch?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I feel really dumb now because I somehow missed that it was young Kanan

I liked it so far. Rebels never really came close to achieving the same greatness TCW did. I’m hoping this trends closer to that.

If I had to guess about Omega, She looks like a young Satine. Not sure what benefit that would have unless it’s ultimately going to have something to do with the Mandalore succession issue that The Mandalorian season 2 was hinting at

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Amazon themselves, not a third party seller, sold me a bootleg Blu-ray last year. They have fully stopped giving a poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I never got around to reading it when it was online. I’m kind of tempted to grab a copy just to have a weird bootleg that almost was part of the EU.

Looks like it was supposed to be set right after ROTJ. So the likely candidate for bumping it is Kathy Tyler’s whistling dinosaurs.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Because of bad writing that decided everyone on the planet is a rugged cowboy, Texas. Better than half the population down there has delusions about being a cowboy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Look like Amazon took down Heart of the Jedi. I was thinking $10 wasn’t a big deal for a silly little piece of Star Wars history, but I guess I waited too long.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I just noticed that Shatterpoint is getting an unabridged Audible release in July. It specifically mentions that it’s Legends in the title. Could be a good sign. Rogue/Wraith Squadron never had unabridged releases, so they were trimmed down to fit on a couple of cassettes. Choices of One got missed for some reason. Maybe they’re starting to see the value in the old material.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The point is they went to the trouble of producing an unabridged audio version of an 18 year old Legends book. Seeing how old it is I doubt it’s something they had done and were just sitting on.
Might mean more is in the pipeline.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I really wish they’d do Rogue/Wraith. The cutting that went into jamming books onto a couple cassettes was really drastic.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They were supposed to resemble the Vong specifically to make them angry that their image had been replicated onto machines.

loving Denning characters. I was so sick of Alema Rar, Vestara, and Ship by the time Disney finally poo poo things down. What’s funny is Crucible isn’t that bad as far as Denning books go. He just failed to wrap things up despite being told to do so. He did put some stuff in there about how the main three were going to pull back and let the younger generation handle things more. Which is hilarious because that was a big theme in the NJO, and then it didn’t actually happen until a book set 16 years after that conflict was over.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zany was kind of inching towards a view of the proper way a Jedi ought to use the Force in the trilogy. Hand of Thrawn has it front and center as a theme.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

His appearances were ok. Rukh wasn’t handled well.

I’m kind of curious to see if Thrawn’s appearance in Galaxy of Fear is better than Rebels.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I agree Rukh wasn't handled well.

The only thing that made Thrawn a bit different was that he seemed a bit more aggressive and straight up evil than he did in the original books. Made sense for the type of show Rebels was, and the role Thrawn played on it, and it wasn't bad. Just a little different from the Legends trilogy.
He flips out on another officer for being dismissive of Twi’Lek art, and slams him into a wall if I remember correctly. In Dark Force Rising Mara attempts to strangle him and doesn’t get a fraction of that reaction. His cameo in Soldier for the Empire has a couple of officers forget they left a comm channel open and they start talking smack about Thrawn and Jerec. Thrawn breaks in on the conversation to tell them that he doesn’t really care about their xenophobic chauvinism, that is unless it begins to interfere with their work, with a hint of menace. That would have been a better way to handle that scenario.

Rebels’ writing was quite the downgrade from TCW. You didn’t get dumb filler droid episodes or anything, but the highs were just never as good. I think the best episode was the one where Kallus gets stranded on a moon with Zeb and they have to work together to survive. Kallus sees how Zeb’s crew is happy to get him back, and then nobody back in the Empire gives a poo poo that he’s alive.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It’s just the one reference now. But it’s probably going to get more in the next few projects.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Black Fleet Crisis’s mil sci-fi stuff is kind of cool, BUT… It’s a mess. The Luke and Lando storylines are both tacked on wet farts, and a lot of the other writing is pretty bad. There’s some stuff at the beginning of the second book where the alien guy who is the last of his kind wants to be a fighter pilot so Ackbar drops everything he’s doing and bullies the New Republic military until they let him do it.

I read the NJO first and one of those books has a subplot about the Yevetha being wiped out by the Vong, and made the whole conflict sound a lot more interesting than it actually turned out to be.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think it might be the series where she refuses to learn the Noghri guard’s names because they’re just going to die anyway.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One thing that really annoyed me when I moved from young adult novels to adult ones was how much of a non-character Brakiss is. YJK built him up to be some huge bad guy, and his only real appearance is in The New Rebellion. It’s only really a cameo, and of course the book isn’t very good. Stackpole had him as a background character in I, Jedi, to help flesh out the academy portions of the book. But that was more of an afterthought.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Comes back and is made president because of her track record of incompetence and also gently caress you.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just the first book getting unabridged? I’d love to see the whole series since abridgment is a crime.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Someone should ask him if he’d be willing to put a list of annotations out online.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The one true answer.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve listened to a bit of The Rising Storm, it’s been good so far. Picks up about a year after Light of the Jedi.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Worth it for a scene of Anakin getting increasingly angry that Thrawn insists he isn’t pronouncing Mitth'raw'nuruodo correctly, and to just call him Thrawn.

The Ascendancy Trilogy seems very much like Zahn is getting to write what he wants without any sort of mandate from Lucasfilm.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think the novel the Drenghir get introduced in is a YA novel too. So that could be confusing. I accidentally bought one of the kids’ novels on Audible and listened to it. At this rate they’ll probably introduce important stuff in one of those.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The thing that nags at me after the most recent 5 Zahn books, is whether Thrawn is really this bad at politics, or just wants people to think he is. It just keeps getting brought up. Feels like a nod to the list of things Sherlock Holmes is supposedly incompetent at, which included not knowing about heliocentricism.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He has a cameo in the don’t do drugs trilogy in YJK. He mentions he made some mistakes without elaborating, but it s better now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think that only really happens in The Truce at Bakura.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Don’t know that I’ll ever revisit the NJO. It was often overly dark, what followed was dumb as poo poo, and 20 books is a huge commitment. Besides which I originally read them as a depressed high school student, and don’t feel like dredging that period up.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So back when I was a kid I read through all of Galaxy of Fear except a couple that I didn’t see at the bookstore. They were #9Spore and #12The Hunger. The latter of which was the final book in the series.

So for shits and giggles I picked up a copy of Spore and read it. The first 6 books involve the Imperials’ Project Starscream. Which is mostly an excuse for the main characters, the Arranda siblings and their shapeshifting uncle, Hoole, to stumble into Goosebumps in space scenarios. How any of it was ultimately supposed to fit together is never explained, and the guy running it gets killed by one of his creations in book #6. But the horror scenarios don’t cease for 6 more books, they’re just unconnected.

In Spore the Arranda sibling, Tash(Girl with some force potential) and Zak(Boy-Does machines) touch down on Ithor to resupply. But one of the items they require is mineral to repair their engines, and Ithorians aren’t big on mining because it’s bad for the environment. So Fandomar, an Ithorian they met, volunteers to shuttle them out to a nearby asteroid mine. The supply ship gets attacked and damaged by Space Slugs as seen in ESB, and they’re rescued by the miners.

The miners offer to trade the mineral to them if Hoole provides his anthropological insight into something they recently dig up. So everyone takes a spacewalk into vacant slug hole where they find a door carved into a rock and a statue of an Ithorian that’s clearly indicating that they should not open the door. Of course this is a horror story so the head miner opens it anyway and sets off a booby trap that temporarily traps them in the hole. When they get out and make it back to the mining station who else but Jerec has shown up, and is demanding to be taken to the hole.

Cameos from movie and EU characters were pretty common in this series. Like, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, and Boba Fett show up multiple times. Thrawn, and Dash Rendar also get cameos. Fandomar and her mentioned but unseen husband are from a Dave Wolverton story printed in Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina. Though I didn’t remember that.

The head miner bullshits Jerec into waiting a while to go back, and when they do they encounter a dead miner who has had his oxygen line cut. Whatever was behind the door has been stolen. Hoole finds markings alluding to something called “Spore”, but this is a kids’ book so he gets dumb and can’t make an educated guess as to what that means. Jerec is pissed and orders everyone back to the mining complex to figure out who stole it. But on the way back in an explosion depressurizes the station. Jerec and his men escape in their ship, and the Arrandas and miners board Fandomar’s ship. During the escape Fandomar shoves one of the miners out the airlock, albeit in a pressure suit, and tries to introduce sleep gas into the head miner’s oxygen supply. In the confusion they crash into the surface of Ithor.

As it turns out the head miner attempted to go back and steal Spore, and was infected by what turned out to be a failed Ithorian gene splicing project. Being a bunch of space hippies they didn’t want to just kill a deadly space parasite they takes over your brain and makes you infect everyone else you come in contact with. So they stuck it out on an asteroid and hoped nobody would stumble on it. Fandomar admits to having told an Imperial officer of its existence to get them to stop torturing her husband. Which is where Jerec heard about it. Spore infects Zak, Hoole, and an Ithorian medical team responding to the crash.

Jerec shows back up and informs Spore that he has a totally brilliant plan to overthrow the emperor. He just needs Spore to infect his crew, and then a sizable enough portion of the Imperial military so he can challenge Palpatine. Jerec demonstrates that Spore can’t directly infect him by swatting back an assimilation attempt with the force, but this is still clearly a really stupid plan. So Spore, and his infected followers, join Jerec aboard his Star Destroyer, the Vengeance. Tash and Fandomar sneak aboard and kidnap Zak and Hoole. Then steal ships and get Jerec to chase them into the asteroid field. Which is full of slugs who destroy the Star destroyer and everyone on it except Jerec. With the primary host dead everyone else who was infected goes back to normal.

You’re not told exactly how Jerec explained his way out of losing his entire ship and crew while doing something insane. Despite a gently caress up of this magnitude, while trying to do treason no less, he is given another Star Destroyer, and later the unique SSD he has in Jedi Knight.

Because this series is Goosebumps but in space it has to end on a stinger. Which is that Spore is once again dormant, and floating around waiting for the next dumbass to infect.

Given the allowance that this is a grade school level book I can’t be too harsh on it. It does exactly what it sets out to do just fine. I read the two YJK books I missed a few years ago, and despite those ostensibly being more for middle school age kids the writing is incredibly dumbed down, to the point they were painful to read. These elementary level books are honestly written more competently than the couple of YJK books I read as an adult. While it’s easy to poke holes in the plot now, I definitely would have enjoyed this as a kid. I’ll probably grab a copy of The Hunger a little later.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SW and the 90s kids horror craze were a huge part of my childhood so I can’t be overly harsh on them. Despite the silliness of the book I was still relatively entertained.

YJK on the other hand was just a slog to get through two books as an adult. KJA dumbed the reading level on them way down to the point I don’t think JJK could possibly be at a lower reading level.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I read most of JA, and a few of the JQ books but was aging out of them by that point. Jude Watson carved out a nice little niche for herself.

She also co-wrote the two Star Wars Science Adventures books. In which a kid gets stuck in an escape pod with R2 and Threepio, and then treks across an unknown world with them. All while learning scientific principles. It ends on a cliffhanger that is never resolved.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve got to wonder if some of that wasn’t a mandate to slim down the number of Jedi going forward? I heard Marvel did some thing where they had an arc where they de powered a ton of mutants characters because they had too many.

Supposedly Lowbacca’s banishment at the end of Bug Nest Orgy was because George didn’t want Wookie Jedi anymore.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just because it’s navigable doesn’t mean there’s facilities or as much reason to go there.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Leaks suggest that Lars Mikkelsen will be live action Thrawn. He was already the voice actor in Rebels. Mena Massoud will be the live action Ezra Bridger.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

For what it’s worth it was on multiple sites, though they could very well just all be sourcing each other.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lusa, Raynar’s horse girlfriend, is killed off-screen in Star by Star. She was introduced in The Crystal Star, and was later brought back for YJK.

Lyric, a mermaid girl from JJK, got killed off-screen in some other book.

I’m sure there are a lot more examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Ascendancy ones have very little baggage, I like them.