Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ViKvHkNyqE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Drone posted:

I don't really get why they don't just recast the character?

I think they are still working out what to do about Rangers of the New Republic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but don't all the big rebel ships get destroyed at the end of Rogue One? If not in the battle itself, then when Vader's ship arrives at the end? For some reason, I always had that in mind.

More or less. We see corvettes and transports escape while one of the Neb Bs is destroyed and the Mon Cal ship is disabled and boarded. The other Neb Bs are unaccounted for though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Someone help me identify a cultural artifact. Back in the late 90s LucasArts released a collection of games in two large box sets for PC. What were these two collections called, exactly? I remember I had the one that came with Xwing, Tie Fighter, Dark Forces and the Jedi Knight demo. The other one I think had Rebel Assault on it.

Was it called The LucasArts Archives or something like that?

Yeah and they ruled.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Slavin's racism was affecting his work in that scene though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I always assumed Antilles was the equivalent of Smith.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Characters like Borsk and Pellaeon are great and help make their respective factions feel like actual organisations run by people.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

pretty self contained, no other backstory required. :confused:

Unnecessary backstory in Star Wars?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Sith originating from the Unknown Regions was in TOR wasn't it?

Cross-Section posted:

I truly wonder where the "Jedi Temple built on top of Sith shrine" bit of lore originated from because I remember reading about that in the Tarkin novel released in 2014. Curiously, I think that's where we got Sheev's first name too.

It was a part of the unfilmed Clone Wars episodes but I don't know if that's where it came from.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

This is the (archived) Let's Read thread for bad Star Wars stuff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anderson's stuff is really dumb but there's a stupid goofiness to it that makes it far harder to hate than the worst bits of the EU.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rochallor posted:

Last time I played through I noticed that the quest you have to follow to get the Tusken chieftain to tell you about Tusken history doesn't have a reward attached to it. All you get is the story itself. I like that a lot.
I think it even requires you to give up one of the more powerful lightsaber crystals too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Honest question, I always get a twinge of confusion reading Zahn when he presents Stormtroopers as the "cream of the crop" of Imperial troops, an Elite fighting force. I know there are some Stormtrooper regiments like the 501st who even in the Lucas-canon are considered top-notch, but I feel like this Zahn-take goes counter to how Stormtroopers are portrayed in the movies; hapless dime-a-dozen soldiers with scary armor. I know that in the movie we mostly only see them when they're up against the protagonists so they're going to lose, but besides the opening to ANH we don't really see Stormtroopers kick butt and take names at any other time, so I'm not sure how Zahn can justify his interpretation.

Not that I disagree with the overall point but they're pretty effective on Hoth as well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

In Revenge of the Sith its heavily implied that Obi Wan knows Padme and Anakin are married. The Clone Wars cartoon removes any doubt by having Obi Wan comment on Anakin and Padme's relationship with a teasing "don't ask don't tell" attitude. Ahsoka on the other hand doesn't really interact with Padme all that much. The only time the two are paired up for a significant amount of time is during the episode where Ahsoka is defending Padme from assassination attempts by Aurra Sing.

I think she did know about the two's relationship eventually. If Ahsoka was ever aware of Obi Wan surviving the purge I'm sure he would have told her the truth had she asked.

There are a few hints through various Clone Wars episodes that Ahsoka knows about Padme and Anakin and Forces of Destiny confirmed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIRtw4WufsA

Given her interactions with Bail Organa in Rebels I figure she doesn't know about Leia though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

It's really funny that, as part of official continuity, Rey and Kylo meet up to fight on a luxury space hotel in between TLJ and TROS. As well as I guess meeting up in Galaxy's Edge. It's like all the various times that Anakin met Dooku again in between AOTC and ROTS.

Watching TCW jump through hoops to avoid having Anakin and Grievous meet was pretty funny.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rochallor posted:

On a possibly related note, does anybody know when it was established that TIE fighters run without shields? It seems so much like a balance issue that I have to assume it was in the original X-wing game, but I'm wondering if that was an idea that might have been pulled out of a sourcebook somewhere. It's weird that something that likely started explicitly as a game mechanic became such an integral part of Star Wars lore.

The basic TIEs didn't have shields in the WEG rpg (which predates X-Wing). I'm not sure if it originated there or in something like the novelisations for the films

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

a sexual elk posted:

Just finished Shadows of the Empire, swear it was longer but might just be my brain filling in stuff with the game on 64. Anyway couldn’t think of what to read next soooooo decided to reread the vong series for first time since 2002.

This was a repost from the last thread but it's a pretty good breakdown of the story was split across the multimedia project and has an interview with one of the game devs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gsmE_hoNsI

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Salvador Larroca is capable of being a decent artist but his work on Star Wars is full of theft and blatant tracing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zoran posted:

In my head I always put the emphasis on the last syllable, so I didn’t notice myself until I listened to the Heir to the Empire audiobook.

Yeah I'd always read it as something like "Fay Liar" which still sounds like an insult.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Did the Trandoshan fall into that "every single member of the specie is pigeonholed into one specific job" trap that a lof of sci-fi aliens fall into, just because Bossk was a slaver/bounty hunter? I remember that in Republic Commandos you were fighting Trandoshan slavers basically non-stop throughout the game.

There's Cid in Bad Batch and a jedi in the High Republic stuff but both of those are recent.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The solution is to pretend that by "units" they meant "military units" so that 1.2M units means billions of clones.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Manhattan has ~30000 residents/square km (and about twice that during the day because of commuters), and the Earth has ~500,000,000 square km of surface area (including the oceans), which would work out at 15T people.

A population of 1T is pretty reasonable by sci-fi standards of accuracy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Trevorrow's script is mostly better for Finn & Rose and for not bringing Palpatine somehow.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

I will say in slight defense that I think the Coruscant verticality was an invention of TPM. From the 90s EU sources, I think Coruscant was much less built up in terms of continuous 1300 floor tall skyscrapers.

It changed a bit over time in the EU.

The WEG book for Heir to the Empire gives the population at 5B and suggests that while the Imperial City is a massive, multi-layered city it occupies "only" one continent and that other areas of the planets are less built up.

The Special Edition sourcebook puts the population at 10B, but has the surface almost entirely covered by cityscape "several km deep" (the population density absolutely does not make sense).

And the one for Shadows of the Empire put the population at 650B, which more or less becomes the accepted figure for a time.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 2, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

Where do Fallen Order and Andor line up on the timeline?

Andor is 5 BBY, Fallen Order is 14 BBY (with the sequel set 9 BBY, around the time of Kenobi and just after Solo).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

“World between worlds”? Some new thing they’re going with?

Edit: I forgot that was a thing in Rebels. Have they done more with it?

Something vaguely similar gets used in the Lego Holiday Special.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah I wasn't suggesting they were canon (though I think they are the closest that Finn's force sensitivity has come to canon?) but rather that the idea is still kicking around.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Found some more of my old Star Wars books at my old place. Really happy to have this one

Also found this first edition hardcover

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Animal Friend posted:

More feet pics pls
><

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Wasn't Qi'ra important in one of the big comic book story arcs? I might be misremembering what I heard.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Also interested

E: Thanks!

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 4, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah there's at least that one deserter in Clone Wars

Cut is the stepdad isn't he?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

What’s the time gap between TLJ and RoS?
Roughly a year.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

A lot of naval battles were over in a few days (or less) too.

The closest the movies get to a siege is the chase in Last Jedi, and I think it would have worked better as a more traditional siege on the surface of Crait.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i always liked that and why i never minded the ending of rogue one. the movie makes it clear that vader and leia both know that the empire caught them red handed but leia is basically trying to bullshit as long as possible to buy time for the plans to get to the rebels. the movie just makes it more explicit.

When Vader is interrogating the rebel officer who is denying all involvement at the start of ANH the dude isn't being lifted into the air, he's just being supported by his enormous balls.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The quadjumper (which shows up briefly in TFA and a little more in Andor) is fine too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I rant about it every time it comes up but Finn, who broke Poe out of prison to help him steal a ship, should not be surprised that Poe can steal a ship.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Slashrat posted:

Basically just Top Gun, But In Space, comes to mind.

Maverick was the Death Star trench assault made into an entire film.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah the image people have of Qui-Gonn doesn't really match with what we see. The first notable thing hr does in TPM is to tell Obi-Wan to ignore the bigger threat working behind the scenes. He's not wise, he's wilfully blind.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

It's been far too long since I've watched Clone Wars, but anything said in that is canon. I don't really remember where all of the Nightsister lore comes from, but I think most of it comes from that, yes?
Yeah lots of it is from there. Some is from Fallen Order and Merrin (from the games) is about as human-looking as Morgan Elsbeth.