Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Corran, as further evidence of being a vessel for Stackpole's wish fulfilment, also had a special lightsaber that could be expanded into a longer blade.

Didn't know consensus on Aftermath was so negative. Should have brought back Kevin J Anderson! He'd slide right in given TFA was all about a new system destroying superweapon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

the Bounty Hunter Trilogy is what you seek, you tough barve

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Also have to give Denning credit
You never have to do this...

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

One in particular ended up leaving because he was really into Mandalorians and got mad when Traviss made some of them gay.

Lmao

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

A 30 year old woman grabbing a 14 year old boy's penis while he's strapped down to a torture rack absolutely is rape.

But TFN doesn't exactly engage in critical thinking, and the insane hoops the later books went through to try and repair Tahiri's image meant that the readers often took it at face value. The book says she's not bad anymore so that's that.

Insane sycophants.

How the gently caress else is that supposed to be read?

Robot Style posted:

I don't know about hyper-religious, but one of the TFN weirdoes I knew from back then suddenly dropped off the face of the earth one day, only to reappear 7 years later after spending time in jail for crossing state lines and sneaking into a 14 year old girl's house to gently caress her.

I'm tired of these Star Wars

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Jaina is a rad name on it's own, normal sounding yet unique to anybody who isn't a huge dork who read too much star wars in the 90s. And those people would just get it, I think. She's a badass throughout the books.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The idea of giving a clone a megalomaniacal personality but then also making multiple copies of them also seems like an opportunity for comedy.

Palpatine keeps sending new Snokes to meet with the one running the first order.

"I'm the supreme commander!"
"No, I'm the supreme commander!"
"You're both wrong, I'm-"

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Jazerus posted:

definitely read I, Jedi right after Jedi Academy

This lmao

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Some glorious poster either in this thread or its last incarnation summarised the Bounty Hunter trilogy along the lines of "never before has my brain so aggressively rejected information. I know I've read those books but no details remain in my memory" and I think about that just as much as I do that chart.

That poster, whoever they were, must have been one though barve.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Rochallor posted:

I just reread the Thrawn trilogy and while Zahn's idiosyncracies are more apparent than ever, it is kind of refreshing to have a Star Wars story where the problem is that everybody is too competent.

Cocking brows never gets old.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Anderson's stuff is really dumb but there's a stupid goofiness to it that makes it far harder to hate than the worst bits of the EU.

I read Darksaber exactly once, in downtime between races at state champtionship rowing regatta at 14 years old, so I was exhausted and distracted.

And I just... remember it all somehow. Maybe because it was so dumb.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Starfighters of Adumar is the perfect little Star Wars side story.

I reread it every couple of years and it holds up so well.

The character's, the banter, the swashbuckling, the stakes being high for the characters but not galaxy changing... it's even got kind of a meta commentary going on about how far the EU is going, being about a primary EU character in Wedge dealing with his history and wondering what future he could possibly have- there's no challenges left and things are just getting absurd for him. Also, "if you keep mapping the unknown regions, you'll have to change the name."

Plus it's just effortlessly funny.
"Tell me you're not putting us in womens clothing."
"Very well. I'm not putting us in womens clothing."

*Chapter break*

"You lied to me."

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

we got a specific reference to Courtship of Princess Leia.

I noticed this too and geeked out for a moment.

But apparently Dathomir was also in Clone Wars (I half remember this) and the game Fallen Order (never played it.)

Still the mention of witches riding rancors was cool.

Warlord Zsinj when

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1489771188637376512

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

VaultAggie posted:

My girlfriend picked me up a copy of The Secret History of Star Wars , after years of wanting it. I think someone, Thrawn maybe, recommended it years and years ago, and I’ve been meaning to pick it up. Very excited to check it out!

I've read parts of it presented as free articles on the author's website and while interesting, they've really got a bone to pick.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Reading through Rogue Squadron from the X-Wing series and it’s quite fun, but the male-gazey writing is a bit off putting: every time a woman character is introduced its “slender leg” this and “alluring brown eyes” that. Guess I was in the target demographic when I originally read it 20+ years ago though. Do the other books get better about this?

every lady is extremely attractive and horney for Corran Horn(ey)

It doesn't really get better until Aalston takes over IIRC

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

I had forgotten they were doing a Rogue Squadron movie! Do we even know she. It’s suppose to take place?

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Is the new Disney timeline anything like the Legends one when it comes to Rogue Squadron?

Legends had it formed by Luke and Wedge after Yavin then had Wedge reforming it a few years after Endor.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Jazerus posted:

the rogue squadron movie should be an adaptation of starfighters of adumar

Yes

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I just cracked up imagining the book being that Bounty Hunter trilogy betrayal chart

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

legend

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Robot Style posted:

Does Finn even have any romantic tension with Jannah? She was originally conceived as his long-lost sister, so I don't think a romance was necessarily what they had in mind for them. Finn's still clearly super hung up on Rey during the movie, at least.

Actually I think you'll find he just wanted to tell her he was force sensitive :shepface:

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Cross-Section posted:

KOTOR remake has been 'indefinitely delayed' according to reports

Aspyr probably not the best choice of dev in retrospect lol

They should bring in Hardsuit Labs to fix it

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Found some more of my old Star Wars books at my old place. Really happy to have this one

Also found this first edition hardcover

More feet pics pls

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The first X-wing book is a pretty good read. Wedges Gamble and Krytos Trap were both just regular pet-character 90s EU and probably why Stackpole's books are less fondly remembered. The Bacta War is just a series of cool battles and payoffs from those books though, resolving everything really well (from memory). Of course then Isard's Revenge happened so...

Also I think if Aalston hadn't also used Wedge as a main character the comparisons wouldn't be as strong. Aalston's Wedge is one of the highlights of the EU - especially in Solo Command and Starfighters of Adumar.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

It's still amazing to me they got the main cast back then didn't have them interact or even refer to each other in any meaningful way.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

fartknocker posted:

Also more Wedge

pls just make a Wedge solo movie.

Please make Starfighters of Adumar...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Radio! posted:

Starfighters of Adumar but only if they stick exactly to the costumes described in the book because I desperately want to see Wes Janson with his stupid LED cape showing pictures of his own face

Oh I long for an exact replica of the text.

Janson taking off a coat of his own replicas doing dancing kicks then slapping a sexist into submission?

Yes please.