Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Arcsquad12 posted:

I honestly couldn't tell you. It was pretty obvious from the interviews about Legacy of the Force that the higher ups had no actual plan for how the storyline would go. John Ostrander wrote Legacy making it a lot further into the future to allow for a change to the status quo. But the old EU crept up on it as the newer books came out where there was only a century or so between the end of "current" EU and the future of Legacy. A century is a long time but when you consider that Jagged Fel is supposed to be the founder of an Empire that has been active for quite a while it puts pressure on the newer EU stuff to set up how the Fel Empire formed. And as I said, they had no plan.

Christie Golden was suppose to write a trilogy focused on Jagged and Jaina post-Fate of the Jedi. It probably would have dealt with the founding of the Fel Empire and Imperial Knights in some way.

Speaking of no plan. It really feels Disney has none for post-Episode IX stories and that's why they decided to do The High Republic since they have a clean slate in that time period.

I really should get around to buying and reading Light of the Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I've read the first ten chapters of Light of the Jedi. Mostly character introductions as the event unfolds, but the more optimistic tone is a refreshing departure from the final old EU books I read which were the Dark Nest trilogy and Betrayal. I stopped reading Star Wars books after those and from what I read online then and here dodged the nadir of Star Wars literature.

Light of the Jedi is also a much easier read than Aftermath. Which I didn't get very far into. The writing style there was just. Don't know the right word. It was difficult.

Edit: Little strange to see the Jedi called "space wizards" in an actual Star Wars novel.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 12, 2021

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I finished Light of the Jedi Order and here are some random thoughts:

• Odd to see someone described as a bastard and no use of the old EU curses or terms.
  • I was a little weirded out to see Shyriiwook placed simply in regular speech quotes instead of it being italicized.
  • Jedi passing out from overexertion in their Force use is new I think. I can only remember there was a dude who died when Luke's apprentices channeled the Force through him to throw a Star Destroyer fleet out of a solar system (god the Jedi Academy trilogy was dumb)
  • Each Jedi seeing the Force in a different way is neat.
  • I'm pretty sure this book has the highest Jedi death toll at sixteen. A High Council member dies rather anticlimactically too. This is pretty high for an order that at its height is ten thousand strong.
  • Had a little chuckle at the mention of Selkath being up in arms about bacta being the new wonder drug. Don't know why they decided to call the old stuff juvan instead of bringing kolto into the new canon.
  • I was surprised to see the Great Sith War name dropped. I wonder if Exar Kun will be returning to canon or they're going to do something different with the same name.
  • They totally referenced KOTOR 2 on the same page as the Great Sith War.
  • I'm a little confused if hyperspace drives need a relay beacon at this point in time or not. The book mentions access zones and such.
  • Where are the Sith and what have they been doing?

Those thoughts aside I think it manages to setup things well enough. The Nihil aren't interesting villains in this book, but I think they and Marchion Ro have a lot of potential.
When Ro was thinking to himself that he viewed Starlight Station not as outreach, but force projection. His whole plan for the Nihil fell into place for me. There's downsides of the Republic expanding into the Outer Rim that haven't been touch on that he can exploit. Mass unemployment as a world's economy is upended by new trade deals or hyperspace lanes that Republic creates that breeds anger. Resentment from the Republic and Jedi meddling in the internal affairs of worlds that don't wish to be part of the galactic community. I could be off base though.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember "bastard" was used in one or two of the late-period EU books. I think Darth Plagueis?

Luke Skywalker dies from overusing the Force.

A number of Mandalorian episodes also have Baby Yoda passing out from using the Force.

Oh right he does. Definitely a new thing though right?

I actually haven’t seen The Mandalorian.

quote:

Exar Kun and him being a Sith Lord is mentioned in Solo (though in writing on the set, not dialogue).

Sweet.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Nckdictator posted:

I’m a tad confused about how a bootleg/unpublished EU book ended up on Amazon

https://youtu.be/pVa_4l8u0xc

The author Kenneth Flint wrote the book in 1992. He rewrote it in 2015 to slot into the old EU and allowed the whole thing to be uploaded online to a fan that's now defunct. You can read the whole thing here via web archive. Someone clearly copied that and published it on Amazon.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

T___A posted:

Bruh, Mara Jade was 67 when she died???

Adjusts glasses

Actually, she was 58.

She was born 17BBY and died 40ABY. Add one due to the year zero in the dumb calendar LucasArts decided to use.

A real life New Republic government would have made their declaration of being after Endor the day one;year one of a new calendar.

We're stuck with this one though.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 3, 2021

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I finished up The Rising Storm. I thought it was pretty good, but since I've only read it and Light of the Jedi there were some things that popped out of nowhere. Such as these killer plants, the Drengir, and I could definitely tell when things were happening not just off the page but in other media. Like when Gios' old apprentice pops up on the comms at the Fair or how Avar is off leading a bunch of Jedi against the Drengir.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

I never read any of the Galaxy of Fear books but reading the descriptions I always felt that I would have loved them as a kid.

For similar shits and giggles I read one or two of the YJKs ten or so years back and I felt like they held up for what they were. Speaking of Kyp Durron, he appears in one of them and I remember thinking that his characterization there being pretty good for a penitent Jedi trying to make up for his past.

Also, looking up the YJK books now, I completely forgot that Raynal Thul originated in them, or that he was the son of some of the characters from the Han Solo Trilogy. Have to hand it to YJK, they really did bring in kid versions of pretty much the entire Bantam-era cast. Also have to give Denning credit for massacring most of the YJK cast in a single book.

Are you referring to Star by Star?

Every Jedi who dies as part of the strike force, except for Anakin, is introduced in NJO instead of YJK/JJK. Master Ikrit from JJK is killed by Greg Keyes the duology before Star by Star though.

Robot Style posted:

I wonder if this will be about Keeve Trennis leaving the Jedi, which was hinted at in the Dooku audiobook.

This is one of the comic characters? I've only read the two adult novels.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Rochallor posted:

Edge of Victory and Star By Star systematically kill off all the major characters from the children's books.

This does not happen! Why do people keep saying this? Lowbacca, Zekk, Tenel Ka, even Raynar all survive the mission and the war!

jivjov posted:

Not seeing anything in the usual places--where'd this one get announced?

They haven't been announced. Edelweiss, a book publishing website, seems to have mistakenly publicly listed their upcoming release.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

There was no hope for horse girl once the higher ups learned she had been topless for the entire childrens series.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

The Legends material for a lot of the movie events is convoluted.

Things are setup like this:

The Emperor, Darth Vader, Grand Admirals Declann, Makati, Takel, and Teshik are aboard the Death Star.

Piett is leading the fleet aboard Executer

Unknown CO on Pride of Tarlandia is second in line.

Admiral Strage aboard Chimaera is third in line.

Admirals Prittick (Truce at Bakura) and Harrsk (Darksaber) are also present.

Things then play out roughly like this:

• Pride of Tarlandia is blown up.
  • Executer crashes into the Death Star II.
  • Admiral Strage is killed as Chimaera comes under fire.
  • The Emperor and Darth Vader kill each other.
  • Grand Admirals Makati and Takel, realizing the situation has gone sideways, flee.
  • Grand Admiral Declann is killed when the Death Star II explodes.
  • Admiral Harrsk is injured and in a bacta tank or hallucinating.
  • Grand Admiral Teshik, having escaped the Death Star II, attempts to assert command from his Star Destroyer.
  • Captain Pellaeon, seeing the situation is hopeless, orders the retreat.
  • As Chimaera is now lead ship and it's unclear how many are aware Admiral Strage is dead. The fleet follows her out.
  • Teshik stays to fight it out until he's captured and executed for war crimes.
  • The Imperial fleet, now safely away, sorts out that Admiral Prittick is now the ranking officer. He can't figure out how to proceed. (and is never mentioned again.)
  • Harrsk decides he's a warlord now and bails.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

Was there another thread? That one cuts off before it actually comes out. Weird to think about how all of that was right around 9/11.

I've also gone and looked through the old TheForce.net threads, but I haven't found any single megathread for the book so far.

There's a ton of 1 to 2 page threads with OPs that are that person's review/reaction to the novel around the time of it's release. It could be megathreads weren't a thing in that forum's culture back then or it went for so long it'll be hard to find with no archive feature.

These are the two longest threads I've uncovered. I'm a little amused the earlier threads had posters calling Anakin "Jimmy" in a bid to avoid spoiling people.

Any speculation on if and how "Jimmy" will come back? (SPOILERS!!)

He is dead (just say it) (SBS Spoilers)

There was another thread around Dark Journey's release where all the people thinking it's a fake out or he's coming back somewhere lose all hope when his body is burned on a funeral pyre.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

M478 was removed for a good reason. It was cut from the game long before Obsidian had to take the hatchet to the game and it shows. There's only a skeleton of what the planet was supposed to be before they cut their losses and folded Lonna Vash into the Korriban plot line. The music music M478 is beautiful though and should have been reused in the main game.

Mark Griskey and Jesse Harlin are seriously underrated when it comes to good Star Wars music.

Yeah and having a whole other planet just annihilates the power curve.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

congrats and thats a genuinely good name. yeah. i feel like much like t-shirts/clothing nerd poo poo works best either stylish and/or subtle.

i kinda assume its gonna play more like dragon age inquisition or DA2 or the FF7 remake.. auto combat with turn based elements from the original game arnt bad but it was always the weakest part of KOTOR.

That's my read as well. It's a R2make/FFVIIR style remake and the gameplay will be more action-oriented. I expect them to copy FFVIIR's three-man party gameplay.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

They released the first five chapters of the Star Wars: Ronin as a preview.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I can't remember if I've read The New Rebellion. If I did I memory holed it completely.

The only things I can remember from The Crystal Star are the Solo kids getting kidnapped, an extra-dimensional square, and Leia lamenting she's not wearing boots as she runs somewhere in high heels.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I only made it a few pages into Aftermath. Never before or since have I bounced off a writing style so viscerally.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Has anyone read The High Republic: The Fallen Star? It seems to have gotten a rather low-key release for the final adult novel of the High Republic project.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

I looked it up, and this new one isn't supposed to be the last High Republic adult book, it's just the last of this "phase". There's going to be 3 phases.

Yeah I worded that poorly.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Now onto Visions of the Future, then Survivor's Quest. I've got the following on my reading list after that.

The Zahn novel about Jorus C'baoth's expedition (can't remember off the top of my head)
Shatterpoint
Revenge of the Sith Novelization
Luke & Shadows of Mindor

After all that, I may try out the New Jedi Order. Maybe.

Outbound Fight is the name.

These are all really good Star Wars books. Although I never read Shadows of Mindor.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

VaultAggie posted:

I finished The Fallen Star and I’m not sure what to think of it. On the one hand, I love Claudia Gray’s writing style, and the book flowed from one chapter to another. Once I picked it up, I couldn’t put it down.

On the other hand, it seems kinda strange to destroy starlight beacon already. I never felt attached to it because we haven’t really seen it do anything, or be a part of the story, since it only came online at the end of the first book. Also, while I enjoy Marchion’s little schemes, it would be nice to flesh him out a little. It’s been three books and I still have no idea what he’s doing or why, besides just being a bad guy.

Still very much enjoying the High Republic, but I almost wish they would slow down the pacing, and take some time to flesh out the setting. Or just give me a FFG High Republic setting book.

I think the pacing is a consequence of the High Republic being in a multi-media format. Each of the novels needs to be focused on the Big Event so the accompanying comics, young reader books, audio dramas, etc can orbit it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Oh huh. Phase II of the High Republic is set 150 years before Phase I.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Well that’s…unexpected.

Oh hell, Phase III will be a sequel trilogy, won’t it? It’s a mirror of the trilogy of trilogies of movies.

You could say it’s…like poetry.

I do expect that's the plan.

Although it'd feel odd narratively if Phase III jumps like 50 years forward instead of directly picking up where Fallen Star left off. It already feels like the brakes got slammed on the current conflict to lay out the backstory.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Robot Style posted:

So they're doing a nu-canon version of The Courtship of Princess Leia, and surprise surprise it's a tie-in novel for the Disney theme park Star Wars hotel..

Not that CoPL was a great book or anything, but the stuff it introduced about Dathomir and Hapes was a huge part of the Legends continuity and is still being referenced all over the place, so it's a little disappointing that the story that laid all that groundwork is being replaced with a promo for the inevitable Disney Star Wars Wedding Package.

It is fascinating which books are cornerstones of the old EU.

Warlord Zsinj is a joke of a villain in Courtship, but then lurks in the background of the Rogue Squadron series before coming to fore as a very dangerous antagonist against Wraith Squadron.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Claudia Gray reveal yourself.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

The Tales of the Jedi comics were great. I loved the ancient Egyptian aesthetic..

RIP Tom Veitch.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I see the next wave of The Essential Legends Collection reprints comes out next month and there's some old EU books I haven't read in it.

How does the thread rate Kenobi, Darth Plagueis, and the Darth Bane trilogy?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Thanks for the reviews goons! I'll pick them all up!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I would certainly put the X-Wing series down as essential Star Wars novels.

Any news on the release date? Seems to late for the KOTOR novels to get a boost from SWTOR's latest expansion and to early to ride any to the KOTOR Remakes hype.

Or maybe they were more popular than I realized since I skipped.them both.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I just finished the Star Wars: Ronin novel. The first two chapters cover the action of the animated short and things transition into an introspective character driven story of the Ronin and the little band that gather around him in a quest to find the lost Imperial capital city.

I enjoyed it being Star Wars-but-feudal-Japan. A lot neat twists on familiarthings like the Force is not light and dark, but described as more Taoist. I would certainly read more novels set in this Star Wars setting.

Especially since it's made very clear that in the background the Imperial heirs are readying for civil war as soon as the Emperor dies.

Oh and I think this is the first portrayal of a trans character in Star Wars. One of the main characters is non-binary too.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

We've also got Sister from Queen's Hope

The turbonerds at Wookieepedia must be slipping. This is the first named Star Wars character I've encountered that doesn't have a page there.

I have noticed that book characters don't seem to getting the meticulous bios like they used to. All the characters from Alphabet Squadron only have info from the first book of the trilogy.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Interesting because when I type Sister into the search and select Sister (clone trooper) it brings me to this

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

jivjov posted:

I'm actually right now trying to get caught up on a bunch of new releases that have come out and I've backburnered due to having something resembling a social life now. I've been prioritizing High Republic stuff but once I'm done with that, what should be my next read? The Ascendancy trilogy finale? Ronin? Brotherhood? Queen's Hope?

Ronin is the only one of these I've read and I'll recommend it. As ecureuilmatrix said it's a very AU world. I really enjoyed it's cast of characters.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I finished Victory's Price yesterday and it left me rather unsatisfied.

I definitely don't agree with the thread's op calling this a spiritual successor to the old Rogue Squadron series. Those are pulpy action books with a fun cast. This trilogy is a serious look at war and genocide and why people would continue to wage the former when the cause is lost and commit the later despite the incomprehensible horror of it. I also didn't really like any of the Alphabet pilots. Three out of five them are just..."bad people" isn't the right wording, but I couldn't find them a team I could root for like I could with the old EU Rogue & Wraith cast.

The fact the sequel trilogy exists undercuts the whole central narrative in my view. Like ok there's a database of all the crimes ever committed by every single person in the Empire and Soran wants to destroy it because he feels it falling into New Republic hands will spark years of civil unrest and more fighting as former Imperials resist what they perceive as victor's justice from New Republic tribunals. , but I already know what's coming. The First Order is going to rise and shatter the peace and New Republic along with it.

Maybe that's just a weakness of inter-film novels. The bigger questions on the status quo and the future are meaningless because we've ready seen what's going to happen. That's fine though. You can tell smaller personal stories in those types of settings, but like I wrote above I didn't like the main cast enough to care about their stories.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 17, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I decided to reread Shatterpoint and got remained even the best of the EU authors have no sense of scale as Matthew Shover writes the CIS is tying down all 1.2 million clone troopers of the GAR across the galaxy.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

1.2 million is the figure given for the contract by Lama Su in Attack of the Clones, so there's only so much you can blame him for that.

It's been a long time since I've watched Episode II, so I didn't remember that.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

Pretty sure that was the figure for the whole war.

I remember it being written as hundreds of trillions killed by the end of the war.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I finished my reread of Shatterpoint and I feel Stover ties things off a little to cleanly at the end. He throws a paragraph in that states the planetary milita has acTuAlLy been fighting the war above board this whole time and all the atrocities are the fault of the jungle prospectors.

Which runs counter to the earlier parts of the book where the planetary milita is described as shooting everything that moves including the herd animals.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Double posting because I blew through Kenobi in a few days and it was really good. Thanks to the goons who recommended it back in March! It’s nice to have a Star Wars story with low stakes.

Orrin’s fate is a great parallel to Anakin’s.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

I will say in slight defense that I think the Coruscant verticality was an invention of TPM. From the 90s EU sources, I think Coruscant was much less built up in terms of continuous 1300 floor tall skyscrapers.

On a completely different note, the preview for the Han & Leia wedding book has Luke and Leia talking about Anakin/Vader, which made me think back to The Truce at Bakura where Anakin's ghost appears to Leia, which I always thought was a great scene. I know Anakin also appears in an issue of the Legacy comic, but does his ghost ever appear anywhere else in the EU? I think he shows up in one of the NJO books, but I can't remember for sure.

He does appear in two of NJO novels to give Jacen some words of encouragement. Although I don't think he takes a visible form.

He pops up briefly in one of the Dark Forces novelizations too, but does not speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Robot Style posted:

Not to mention Han & Leia's daughter married the guy who became the first new Emperor, which must have stung after Leia spent the better part of 50 years fighting against various types of galactic fascism.

I think Princess Leia of House Organa is fine with monarchy.

Although that does make me think about how the Republic seems to have zero criteria when it comes to membership and we seem to rarely see actual democrat societies.

There are a ton of member worlds where the monarch wields actual power, worlds run by corporations like Corellia, to just corporations themselves like the Trade Federation holding membership in the Senate (even during the Clone Wars), to Ryloth with its clan system without any apparent central government.

It's closer to a stronger UN.