Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Your gimmick wasn't as obvious there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sorry, it had to what?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh, I was aware of the Nomi Sunrider thing, but nobody ever made the connection to Jeep before. It was always just mentioned as a vague "oh there's a trademark issue" which made no sense at all whatsoever because that's not how trademarks work.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chairman Capone posted:

The Sunrider Jeep thing definitely isn't a myth. It was repeated forever on fan sites but eventually Lucasfilm people did comment on it. Some of the people involved in TOR have also talked about it, I think.
I went digging and all I've found so far is people confirming that there is an issue with the name "Sunrider", but not what that issue actually is. It's also kind of funny that Wookieepedia links to archive sites that no longer exist, but the original source is still up for a lot of this stuff.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He just gets drunk and goes "hey I bet you could, like, totally mine for flarknarg crystals on the moon of Hermpadermp with Palpatine's nerf-ivory backscratcher collection" and some dude at the bar goes "Lando that's a terrible idea" and then C-3PO is all "the odds of that working are-" and that's it, he's already on the phone to his space bookie.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Drone posted:

Legacy was cool mostly because of Imperial Knights, which were cool and neat. Unlike Jedi, which are dumb and bad.

Hot take central over here.
I did like that their whole deal was "watch the Emperor for signs of evil, apply lightsaber if necessary". Was an interesting spin on the usual red armoured guard dudes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Her Republic Commando books are great. I picked them up over the last couple of years just because the game was so fun and I was curious about the tie-in. Happily the rest of the slapfight is stuff published when I wasn't paying attention and also in series I haven't bothered to go looking for since.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Presumably you did 17 other completely unremarkable patrols.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jivjov posted:

Karen Traviss is one of my favorite Star Wars authors....when she stays off in her own little Mando themed corner. The RepCom books are all real solid, but you have to be willing to go with the fact that everyone who is a POV character REALLY HATES JEDI and is a ride or die Mando lover
Yeah, they're pretty decent books as Star Wars goes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
None of which existed in the old EU so...

Kind of an inescapable conclusion.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Van Dis posted:

One thing I definitely do not conclude when looking at the sequel trilogy is that planning the narrative with an eye towards internal coherence and integrity was a prime goal, so unless there's a source for that claim I remain skeptical.
That's one hell of a goalpost shift you've pulled there, but you'll just have to take Star Wars dot com's word for it.

Chairman Capone posted:

I think the splintering of the EU was obvious to everyone as soon as the Disney purchase was announced, but I think the more surprising element for many was that they just shut the entire EU continuity down rather than keeping it as an ongoing alternate universe, the way the Marvel comics continue to exist in a separate continuity from the MCU.
The story for The Old Republic is still going. There was a small expansion last week.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Van Dis posted:

too complex to explain.

Van Dis posted:

"In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers"

Van Dis posted:

establish their own narrative over which they had control
These are all the same thing.

ETA: well, apart from where you tried to move the goalposts in the first one again.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chairman Capone posted:

It's funny because Bothans have appeared in Disney novels, but with no description of their appearance; and then other visual sources have shown the EU version of Bothans, but without identifying them as such.

I feel like it was a big misstep not to have Bothans in Rogue One, just to confuse even further everyone who thought the "many Bothans" died to get the original Death Star plans.
The response to "What's your call sign?" in Rogue One should have been "Uhhhhh.... Bothans...? Manuel Bothans?" And then Bodhi could have been all "ah poo poo, I should have been cool and said "Rogue One" like a badass :smith:" as he takes off.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
After all of the discussion about the plans for TRoS being better than what we got, it's weird to be reading these thinking "they made the right call". Rogue One really is the best of the new films.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Nebulon B isn't exactly a "big" ship though. Really just the Profundity is at all bigger than a frigate, and that wasn't really a match for a single Star Destroyer unsupported.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A lot of early speculation about High Republic put it from "KotOR is canon now" to where it actually ended up being, via "Yoda as a padawan".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It was okay, but it had the chance to mature at the end of season one and didn't. I feel like this take is pretty much spot on.

Chairman Capone posted:

I think Resistance was flawed from the foundation given it's a show called Resistance where the Resistance never really appears or plays a major part. It clearly started out as two ideas blended together (more lighthearted space racers and a sequel tie-in show) and the best episodes of Resistance were the ones where they leaned fully into only one of those premises.

If they had really been brave they should have made it a prequel-era podracing show. I mean hell they could have just replaced First Order with Separatists and it wouldn't have really made any major difference.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Looks like Felix Silla named there is gonna win it, unless we can find someone else in the original pilot of TOS who was in an earlier Star Wars film than RotJ.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nckdictator posted:

I’m a tad confused about how a bootleg/unpublished EU book ended up on Amazon

https://youtu.be/pVa_4l8u0xc
Same way any topic you can think of has a book up there that's literally just the wikipedia article reformatted and sold via a print on demand vanity publishing outfit. Amazon have gently caress all quality control over what they allow up there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Make it a little shrine.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's an explanation of it in the item description.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rochallor posted:

Corellia is clearly the New Jersey planet.
I really love this idea TBH.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Now that you've spelled it out, that works really well for it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They never stopped printing it. They just didn't release it all at once because that would just clog shelves. They're totally going to "Disney Vault" this poo poo.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Seems like the first order might have left a droid there to keep an eye on the temple etc.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Scoundrels was pretty fun, but I vaguely remember feeling like a few too many characters showed up who we were supposed to know from previous things. Other than that, Zahn had one good new Thrawn book, and then went straight back to the super-special everyone knows how great he is snowflake character that irritated me the first time around.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Casimir Radon posted:

The one true answer.
I will forever love that series for having a droid that everyone calls "Bollux".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Given that the bad guy uses a martial art from a PS2 era fighting game, I think it being an inter-franchise thing is less likely than it being a reference to the old Star Wars stuff.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Exar Kun reference isn't one I would have caught just watching the movie. It's rather slim a link.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
At least that second unnecessary Anakin insertion was to promote the new land at the Disney parks.

Wait, that's not better :negative:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Having started on Light of the Jedi now that the paperback is available, it's nice to see that they brought Monument Plaza back into canon. That's a really niche detail from an old McQuarrie painting that I liked when I saw it in the old Illustrated Star Wars Universe.

Also lol that Yarael Poof is tootling around on the council.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Drenghir turn up in the comics at some point, and they are introduced in a way that makes sense there so I'd guess that's their first appearence.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The thing about Thrawn being "bad at politics" is that it feels like Zahn had to give him some weakness and that weakness doesn't make sense in the context of someone who is supposed to be a highly competent military commander who reads cultural tendencies from their artwork. Also it feels like he's going "see? He's autistic just like you!" to the reader, in the most cack-handed way.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The IDW comics trend towards shorter one-shot kid friendly stories. I got about 20 issues in and then stopped bothering to pirate them. They're not legally availabe over here for "reasons", and when I asked the local nerd shop about them there was much incoherent grunting and angry gesticulating so... :shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not until Bryce Dallas Howard homaged her dad in Mando season 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU6gYnJH2G0
Everyone forgets Revenge of the Sith and the one time that ol' Sheev looked like he might be worried about his plan.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jivjov posted:

Spoiler tagged my thoughts on your review for safety: Much like the greater galaxy's knowledge of the Jedi order being distorted from our POV because 95% of the stories we read and watch concern Jedi or other force users, same with the Nihil threat. Yea they're dangerous, but to most people, even those in power, they're just a slightly larger than normal pirate gang.

I completely agree with you on the overall scale and import of other threats though. I had it in my head when this series was first announced that it was set more like 500-600 years pre TPM rather than like 140 or whatever and that really seems like it'd be a better fit. There so much Big Stuff happening that apparently has completely faded from all memory, and unless there's something like a Jedi purge style disinformation campaign in the third phase of THR, it's gonna feel a bit odd that none of it comes up again in the prequels

The thing that really strikes me about it is the sort of sense of "frontier settlement" of it all. The Outer Rim being brought into the Republic only around the events of the book makes the universe feel a hell of a lot newer and smaller than before somehow.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oppo Rancisis and Yarael Poof are both on the council at the same time too. It doesn't feel like it's the golden age of the Republic so much as a weird combination of the rapid growth era and also five minutes before The Phantom Menace.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Teek posted:

One thing about the "frontier" aspects of the Outer Rim. Basically it's not that all these regions are being newly accessed, just that they're finally getting an interstate out to them. In my mind, it's the change from the classic US Route 66 to the new interstate system. You could get to those places, it's just much easier by the time of the PT era. And the Unknown Regions by the time of the ST, is still even further back in time, like early 1800s western America.
I'm not sure the metaphor holds since a big deal is made about hyperspace navigation and how difficult that is. They sort of seem to imply that astromech droids aren't exactly a thing yet, despite the solution to the problem in the first book, but also that somehow travel is just more inherently dangerous in the area.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Treating that series of books as canon is really silly, since in the first one alone it contradicts itself a couple of times. Every author got complete freedom to just make poo poo up because it's all unreliably narrated. The contradictions were inevitable with them getting 40 stories out of what we saw on-screen. There's only so much you can do there. Also I'm pretty sure the statement that it's "canon" is stretching the concept to appease nerds. It sure is a book that Disney published, but that doesn't mean they give a poo poo about it being consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also the Chimaera was Thrawn's flagship prior to Endor, so it's plausible that as Captain of that Pellaeon bluffed that he was acting with Thrawn's authority and hoped nobody would notice that he was actually deployed elsewhere at the time.