Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Also ring and run

All snipes are beautiful btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
It's called knock-a-door-run, you savages.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I am amused by the name Peaky Blinders, a street gang named for the practice of hiding razors in their hat brims to use as an eye-gouging weapon. Just, the idea of presenting oneself as a terrifying gangster by spreading rumors about your incredibly dangerous peakies. It’s practically baby talk.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
"Knicky-knocky-nine-doors" when I were a lad as you had to jump walls/fences and do it to nine places without getting busted.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

What's the preferred term for the Value Added Tax, is it Vat, like the thing you make multiple large portions of stew in, or Vee-Ay-Tee?

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Elviscat posted:

What's the preferred term for the Value Added Tax, is it Vat, like the thing you make multiple large portions of stew in, or Vee-Ay-Tee?

Vee ay tee.

Also, as soon as I saw the popular game mentioned above, I thought there would probably then be every different possible version of the name which will be different to the name used by the town a few miles down the road because that's how the country operates.

(knock down ginger)

(also it's called a roll or a bap)

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Pretty sure we called the door knock game "chappie".

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Just Knock and Run down my way. Pretty basic.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
There's a lot about this country I don't like, but I do like that for middle aged women "my love" is just something you call a person who's come into your cafe to buy a sandwich.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Or in certain parts 'my lover'

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Dr Christmas posted:

I am amused by the name Peaky Blinders, a street gang named for the practice of hiding razors in their hat brims to use as an eye-gouging weapon. Just, the idea of presenting oneself as a terrifying gangster by spreading rumors about your incredibly dangerous peakies. It’s practically baby talk.

I feel the exact same way. It's like ooooooooo scary peakies. Watch out they don't mash your fingies with their booties.

I've only see the first season and I enjoyed it but I had a hard time taking it seriously. And it is extremely serious.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I wonder if Peaky Blinders parties will become a thing again? I ended up at one once because a friends band played a set at one (they mainly do 50s influenced pop, so I think the organisers just said "eh, close enough" and booked them) and it was just a normal "coke and blue WKDs" lads night except they all wore funny hats. Cults of toxic masculinity pop up around any given crime TV show, but the Peaky Blinders one feels almost cute in regards to how close to cosplay it comes.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Whenever I think of peaky blinders I think of a bunch of british dudes surrounding me saying "lets get a look at those peakies" and it makes me laugh even though it sounds like theyre planning to take out my eyes.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m watching peaky blinders for the first time now, and just found out that Helen McCrory, who played Aunt Polly, just died a week and a half ago from cancer. I also learned that one of her early roles was “2nd Whore” in Interview with the Vampire.

Disco Pope posted:

I wonder if Peaky Blinders parties will become a thing again?

Never heard of one but it sounds fun besides the heavy wool clothes

Mr. Bung
Mar 24, 2005

Get out the pink press threat file
and Um-brrrptzzap the subject.

Tsaedje posted:

Or in certain parts 'my lover'

Cornwall goon reprazent.

Wassmadderboy?

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Whybird posted:

There's a lot about this country I don't like, but I do like that for middle aged women "my love" is just something you call a person who's come into your cafe to buy a sandwich.

I had to get a blood draw the other day, and the phlebotomist nurse repeatedly called me 'my darling'.

And I'm not, of course, but it was clear she was trying to comfort me by doing it.

As a dude though, I'm not dropping anything like that when interacting with female retail or hospitality workers. Not suggesting you are, but just saying it's very much something that's now only acceptable for women, but was common for men to do not that long ago.

The Geordie 'pet' is short for 'petal' rather than calling someone a domestic animal, and I think kind of sweet.

Disco Pope posted:

Pretty sure we called the door knock game "chappie".

'Chap door run' for me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That may be regional because I think it's still relatively gender neutral where I live, or at least I get called it that much that I can't help calling people it back.

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe
The South West has its own selection of delightful phrases. Alongside 'reet m'luvvr?' or 'reet me babber?' (how ya doing) we have a bus driver acknowledgement, 'cheerz drive!' and the old fashioned dismissal of someone you don't like out the corner of your mouth 'prrrck'

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

kecske posted:

where I grew up, people spoke like this

It meanders back and forth between perfectly intelligible and flbrlgrblgibbinny. It's great.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was reminded of the phrase "full of piss and vinegar" and it is a good one. I gather it made it to the americas at some point in the early 20th century.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I was reminded of the phrase "full of piss and vinegar" and it is a good one. I gather it made it to the americas at some point in the early 20th century.

I've only ever heard it used by Grampa Simpson

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My grandmother used to say it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This one’s not really a Britishism, but “piss and vinegar” reminds me of “smoke and oakum”.

RetroEnbyRobot
May 5, 2021
The word "bollocks"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I like "yonks"

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

ReidRansom posted:

I like "yonks"

I would like you to know that this is your fault:

https://twitter.com/Brainmage/status/1390014357589958658

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Oh making GBS threads hell!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Why aye

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Prurient Squid posted:

Do people use the term "Zebra crossing" outside of Britain?

We use 'Zebra path' in Dutch.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxO0UdpoxM

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Egg cups

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

How else can someone have a boiled egg?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

BooDooBoo posted:

Very carefully

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

PipHelix posted:

Zed - British pronunciation of the letter 'Z'

I know this is late but only just wandered into the thread. I work for a company here in the UK that supplies a product called 'EZ Wraps'. They are manufactured by an American company and I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be pronounced 'easy wraps'. You know, because the product is easy to use. This doesn't stop people calling them 'E Zed Wraps' all the time and it's way more irritating than it should be to someone who was also raised to pronounce it like that.

Anyway our best phrase is 'u wot m8' because it can mean so many different things depending on tone, inflection and context. You could have been misheard, confused someone, be getting mocked by a friend, or be about to get glassed.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

What are they called elsewhere?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Egg cups I like. They make it possible to have a soft egg, with a yummy liquid yolk to dip bits of toast into. An absurd thing, really, but nice on a rainy morning, of which I hear they have lot in Britain, so go figure.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/drjessphd/status/1404771990859288580?s=21

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Alaois posted:

this is an absolutely deranged line of posting you've struck on, great job

https://www.theonion.com/guy-who-took-job-making-barrels-in-1400s-didn-t-mean-fo-1847123804

Months on, I am vindicated!

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

BooDooBoo posted:

I love softboiled eggs, and yet as an American I have never had an issue rolling the shell off and eating them by hand, just like hardboiled. Just be careful how you bite. Or if you don't want to snarf them in one or two chomps, cut em up on toast.

Thought your houses were smaller than ours? My kitchen cabinets don't have room for special little cups for one kind of breakfast I have less often than monthly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
You can put other stuff in the same cabinet