Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
So. The company that originally developed the Left 4 Dead co-op shooter series is now reviving the series under a new name. It comes out in June but it's in closed alpha from Dec. 17-21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG8-0UlzrEA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpP7nvIv6SU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys9bVAa9J1Y

Is anyone else playing it in the closed alpha test right now? It only runs until the 21st but I thought it might be more fun to play with someone other than pubbies. I wasn't a big L4D person, so I'm not really the one to put in a whole bunch of effort into a megathread OP, but there didn't seem to be any thread for discussing it.

Marble Hebrons discord has a decent number of goons playing this.

I had Discendo Vox's old Payday discord linked here before and it's still an option but there didn't seem to be a lot of uptake.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Was there another thread I missed?

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pleased to hear there will be a new L4D but unless a game is already out it doesn't exist for me.

Not trying to damper anyone's enthusiasm. Just trying to explain the lack of responses.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

resting bort face posted:

I'm pleased to hear there will be a new L4D but unless a game is already out it doesn't exist for me.

Not trying to damper anyone's enthusiasm. Just trying to explain the lack of responses.

Mainly I was fishing for other goons in the alpha.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
If this drat thing comes out and doesn't suck, I'll probably drop a few thousand hours into it.

Hell, I might even chop my dick off because I won't have any time for sex because who needs that poo poo anyway when you have to kill zombies with the old crew.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ugh, I was very interested until the card system was mentioned. In the video she says they're earned through challenges but what's the betting you can pay money for packs of them on release?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ugh, I was very interested until the card system was mentioned. In the video she says they're earned through challenges but what's the betting you can pay money for packs of them on release?

I'm not interested in it at all if they're going to go with loot box nonsense, but I don't really see any reason to assume that it is. A bunch of the perks are so heavily associated with particular characters in art and concept that I kinda suspect that they're going with something along the lines of Gears horde cards, where you grind out a character to get their cards.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
Wow it's not even out yet and WB already managed to ruin this game. Just drop $90 for the full experience! (Prices are same on the US shop)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The base price is the game (and a preorder skin pack). The digital deluxe is that, four days of early access, and what seems to be a season pass for three DLC, sight unseen. The ultimate pack is that plus some cosmetics and seems stupid to me.

$60 plus $30 more for a season pass out of the gate is pretty standard AAA poo poo. I'm not happy about it but none of it seems unusual except how pointlessly obfuscated it is.

I would absolutely not preorder or bother with the deluxe or ultimate nonsense sight unseen.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Skin monetization is 100% normal and its not like its a competitive shooter, so who cares?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

dogstile posted:

Skin monetization is 100% normal and its not like its a competitive shooter, so who cares?

Unless it's a 2015-era payday 2 thing with stats/boosts directly attached to the skins that can only be gotten with real outside money, and also a big hearty lol @

Lucca Blight posted:

Wow it's not even out yet and WB already managed to ruin this game. Just drop $90 for the full experience! (Prices are same on the US shop)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

EorayMel posted:

Unless it's a 2015-era payday 2 thing with stats/boosts directly attached to the skins that can only be gotten with real outside money, and also a big hearty lol @

Considering what happened after they tried that, they'd have to be braindead to try it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Kinda doubt my computer can play this game that well, but it would be nice to relive the Goon4Dead days again. Have we officially gotten to the point where New Zombie Game can be met with something other than groans?

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
Characters all have unique perks, as if each character has 2 or 3 cards equipped already, so it's not like you're picking between Zoey or Bill a la Left 4 Dead 2.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Momomo posted:

Kinda doubt my computer can play this game that well, but it would be nice to relive the Goon4Dead days again. Have we officially gotten to the point where New Zombie Game can be met with something other than groans?

I didn't play L4D back in the day, but I am enjoying this in the alpha test. The only downside is playing with pubbies and bots, so it's hard to turn up the difficulty at all.

EorayMel posted:

There's some confusion about how the game works here I think. Here's how things work right now:

You pick one of four human characters. Each character has some associated abilities and a starting secondary weapon, as well as a bunch of triggered voice barks. Holly has a bat and a bunch of melee-oriented bonuses, Evangelo has a machete and goes fast, Walker has a Glock handgun and is just generically good at dealing damage with guns, and Hoffman hoards ammo and support items and has an M1911. There are also four blanked-out spots for more characters; they've already previewed one.

The bonuses characters have are fixed, and match their personalities. It kinda sucks when you wanted to play melee but Holly is already taken. In any case, the characters aren't just skins; it's different from L4D that way. I assume from marketing that there will be skins for each character, like in games like Overwatch or Apex. I am almost certain that they also intend to sell people more characters in DLC (judging from the description of the Deluxe edition's season pass), and those characters will have a game impact unless something changes.

You also pick a deck of 15 cards, chosen from your library of about 75-ish. Everyone has the same library in the alpha. I assume but do not know for certain that this is the main thing you'll be grinding for in the game; they have said you unlock cards with "challenges". (I've seen the edges of a non-functional challenge UI in the alpha, as I accomplished things like finishing the first act for the first time or killing X number of ridden zombies.) Generally, cards have an always-on bonus (eg +10% reload speed) or a triggered bonus (everyone heals 75 health when someone goes down). There's also cards to start with a basic primary weapon: a one-star sniper rifle, sawed-off shotgun, AK, or Uzi SMG.

Your deck has one "loadout" card that you always start with at the beginning of a run. This is a good place for a card that's a lynchpin to your build, often a primary weapon to start with. You then draw cards randomly from your remaining deck; three cards to start, then one card before each stage in the run (or every time you fail and hit continue). Some of the cards are so closely tied to certain characters with art and mechanics that I suspect that they're earned by playing that character, possibly similar to perk cards in Gears 5 Horde. If you're playing in the alpha, the non-ADS perk cards are super great, and I don't think two cards that do the exact same thing (eg +10% accuracy and +30% accuracy but no ADS) stack together. However, team based bonuses do stack with each other; if all four players take +10% fatigue, everyone gets +40% fatigue. It's possible that the cards end up some sort of lootbox/CCG system where they're available for real money, but none of the announced DLC stuff with the deluxe edition says anything about that.

Before each stage, there are also Ridden perk cards. This is more or less fixed based on difficulty right now, but I think it'll be a bit more random in the final game. Ridden perk cards change what enemies you face. There's three different speeds of regular zombie, plus an armored zombie wearing police riot armor with helmets that pop off when you shoot them. There's also a chance for the Ogre boss from the trailer to appear in 1-3, where you have to fight him to get by. (He always appears in 1-2, but you just run away like in the trailer.) This seems like an obvious place to graft on more unlockable stuff to mix up the stages you've already done before, or add in new special zombies in later DLC.

The other big changes from L4D, although this may be incomplete since I didn't play L4D:
  • Characters have a fatigue bar that is drained by sprinting or melee attacks. This comes up a lot in the last stage of the alpha act, where you have to set bombs and run away.
  • You're usually faster than the enemies. Running ahead and kiting is effective as long as you don't blunder into things (like snitches, hockers, or birds).
  • You find money laying around. Players can spend that money in safe rooms for consumable items (mostly grenades, healing items, and lockpicks), ammo refills or capacity increases, or mods for their weapons. Money is automatically shared with everyone.
  • There are more weapon types, and all weapons can have up to four stars denoting weapon quality, in addition to weapon mods. (The alpha only seems to have 1-star and 2-star weapons though.) In addition to the starting weapons, I've seen hatchets and fireaxes for melee, M4 and M16 assault rifles, an underwhelming LMG whose name I can't remember, a TEC9 machine pistol secondary (which is super fun but pretty impractical without the infinite ammo perk), a magnum revolver secondary, and a non-sawn-off shotgun. Weapons can also spawn with better mods than you can buy in saferooms. Weapon types seem disconnected from weapon quality; I've seen two-star AKs and one-star LMGs and magnum revolvers, for example.
  • You can find cards laying around. I'm not 100% sure if everyone can pick from a card spawn, though. They just add a temporary generic card for the rest of this single run in the alpha; not sure if that's how they'll work in the final game.
  • Rescue-closet-style respawns are in the actual path, and the respawned player just has the gear they died with.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 20, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the only thing that had any lasting power in l4d and l4d2 was the versus mode and im not sure i trust that mode to be fun with the card and leveling and all that rpg bullshit

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Verviticus posted:

the only thing that had any lasting power in l4d and l4d2 was the versus mode and im not sure i trust that mode to be fun with the card and leveling and all that rpg bullshit
And with new Special Infected Ridden being tied to the season pass DLC...

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So having played the Alpha I'm wondering if anyone had the same impression we did which is that the finale stage is... fuckin ludicrously overtuned. It might've been because we always did it with only 3 humans (we had a fourth pubbie who always dropped by 1-4) but like, even with the minigun trained on the boat it felt like there was absolutely no break whatsoever and you were just permanently buried under 30 zombies at all times. After like, blowing through an entire crowd and switching to melee to make some more progress and take advantage of the card that reloads weapons when they're not out, and then unloading into the crowd again it feels like at no point is there ever a break in the wave. Then sometimes just getting into the boat it decides to spawn like 5 bruisers in a row and you can't advance because they'll punch you off the ramp into the water and insta kill you. Does anyone else have the experience that it just seems straight up impossible, at least if you have a bot? Even the most hectic finales in l4d you could like, limp through if you lost someone.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

You also pick a deck of 15 cards, chosen from your library of about 75-ish. Everyone has the same library in the alpha. I assume but do not know for certain that this is the main thing you'll be grinding for in the game; they have said you unlock cards with "challenges". (I've seen the edges of a non-functional challenge UI in the alpha, as I accomplished things like finishing the first act for the first time or killing X number of ridden zombies.) Generally, cards have an always-on bonus (eg +10% reload speed) or a triggered bonus (everyone heals 75 health when someone goes down). There's also cards to start with a basic primary weapon: a one-star sniper rifle, sawed-off shotgun, AK, or Uzi SMG.

Your deck has one "loadout" card that you always start with at the beginning of a run. This is a good place for a card that's a lynchpin to your build, often a primary weapon to start with. You then draw cards randomly from your remaining deck; three cards to start, then one card before each stage in the run (or every time you fail and hit continue). Some of the cards are so closely tied to certain characters with art and mechanics that I suspect that they're earned by playing that character, possibly similar to perk cards in Gears 5 Horde. If you're playing in the alpha, the non-ADS perk cards are super great, and I don't think two cards that do the exact same thing (eg +10% accuracy and +30% accuracy but no ADS) stack together. However, team based bonuses do stack with each other; if all four players take +10% fatigue, everyone gets +40% fatigue. It's possible that the cards end up some sort of lootbox/CCG system where they're available for real money, but none of the announced DLC stuff with the deluxe edition says anything about that.

Before each stage, there are also Ridden perk cards. This is more or less fixed based on difficulty right now, but I think it'll be a bit more random in the final game. Ridden perk cards change what enemies you face. There's three different speeds of regular zombie, plus an armored zombie wearing police riot armor with helmets that pop off when you shoot them. There's also a chance for the Ogre boss from the trailer to appear in 1-3, where you have to fight him to get by. (He always appears in 1-2, but you just run away like in the trailer.) This seems like an obvious place to graft on more unlockable stuff to mix up the stages you've already done before, or add in new special zombies in later DLC.

This doesn't sound horrible on its face, it sounds somewhat like what Fighting EX Layer has, but widened out.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Glagha posted:

So having played the Alpha I'm wondering if anyone had the same impression we did which is that the finale stage is... fuckin ludicrously overtuned. It might've been because we always did it with only 3 humans (we had a fourth pubbie who always dropped by 1-4) but like, even with the minigun trained on the boat it felt like there was absolutely no break whatsoever and you were just permanently buried under 30 zombies at all times. After like, blowing through an entire crowd and switching to melee to make some more progress and take advantage of the card that reloads weapons when they're not out, and then unloading into the crowd again it feels like at no point is there ever a break in the wave. Then sometimes just getting into the boat it decides to spawn like 5 bruisers in a row and you can't advance because they'll punch you off the ramp into the water and insta kill you. Does anyone else have the experience that it just seems straight up impossible, at least if you have a bot? Even the most hectic finales in l4d you could like, limp through if you lost someone.

Yeah the finale seemed pretty hard. The furthest I got with pubs was getting the bombs planted and then we got crushed by the hordes while trying to escape the blast radius.

I didn't play a whole lot but a lot of the game stuck out to me as "this is just change for the sake of change" and wasn't a huge improvement over L4D2.

I could take or leave the addition of sprint (it was just the syringe powerup before) but the limited stamina thing was definitely present before for melee...maybe just limited to the pushback function.

I hate the lack of flashlight - some areas are pitch loving black and I don't know why we can't have a flashlight as a free item again; maybe it gets added in as a gun attachment. The attachment system is a neat expansion on a system they sorta had in L4D2 and I appreciate guns having randomized attachments as open world drops.

Separated ammo pools/pickups for everything is probably the worst change. I don't know why they did this; maybe to try to force more coordination? But it felt like everybody ran dry on ammo a lot when the director kept spawning sniper ammo while everybody has AKs.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The "spawn more ammo" card is invaluable and benefits everyone and AFAICT stacks. But you never know if anyone but you has it. I don't know why the "spawn more X" card isn't a shared card.

You can also buy ammo refills for fairly cheap in safe rooms.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
https://youtu.be/egKKE8dQC9M

this games going to be a palpatable 8/10 co-op shooter when it releases which im ok with
will the devs improve it with more dev time? who knows

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I'm glad that they came out and explained the card grind poo poo. It was fair to worry that was gonna be really heavily monetized.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

New beta starts tommorow.

Also why is this thread so dead.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Mendrian posted:

New beta starts tommorow.

Also why is this thread so dead.

It'll get some traffic once betas are out there, hopefully more good posts than bad. I feel like i gave a LOT of notes from the last playtest, hope they took feedback to heart.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Beta is pretty fun.

People in the official discord are incredibly salty.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Maybe it's just because I'm playing on PS4 but so far it honestly just feels really half baked compared to L4D2(or other games in the genre like Vermintide 2 or Killing Floor 2) in basically every regard and also has that problem a lot of co-op shooters fall into these days by doing lots of things that add difficulty just for the sake of making it harder rather than it actually being enjoyable to play

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I hope this will have a more traditional versus mode going through the actual campaign levels like L4D had since this survival thing looks okay but will probably not have the staying power L4D because of it.

Also based on the about 45 minutes of watching a streamer play the versus mode the meta is gonna be using the spitting guys and leveling up the slow down on the spit and just spitting on survivors over and over. Not much that can be done about it (at least until people start messing around with survivor builds and seeing how effective whatever counters they have might be)

All the gross monotization stuff is reminding me of Evolved. Why do Turtle Rock games always end up being marketed this way :sigh:

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Played a run on Survivor difficulty on Xbox just now. Overall impressions were that the shooting was good, weapon types are fun, and card/character customization is neat.

Biggest downside to me is the run system. It took us on our first blind run about 2 hours to lose on stage 6/8. We could have quit early, but there was a penalty for leaving. I would be more ok with the run system if the penalty wasn’t there. Makes it hard if you can’t always devote 2+ hours to the game.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The people I'd potentially be playing this with don't play on PC and don't have beta access. Is there a way I'm missing to not touch the pubstove and play solo? I quickly ran through the options this morning but it seemed like even setting games to Closed still plunks you in with randoms from PSN or something.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Mailer posted:

The people I'd potentially be playing this with don't play on PC and don't have beta access. Is there a way I'm missing to not touch the pubstove and play solo? I quickly ran through the options this morning but it seemed like even setting games to Closed still plunks you in with randoms from PSN or something.

There is an option somewhere in preferences for it but it appears to be currently disabled. I'm going to guess the major point of this beta is to test matchmaking.

EDIT: So I wanted to make a somewhat critical post to address some of the impressions I agreed with and some I didn't WRT to this game.

The biggest complaint I've been seeing is that the game "Has no soul" or "Just doesn't feel engaging" and the like. I hate these kinds of criticisms as much as I understand them, they're infuriating because they say absolutely nothing. Like they're valid in so far as a piece of art is supposed to make you feel something and games are a piece of art but it's extraordinarily non-specific. I think if I were to try to crack that open there are definitely some areas that need help.

In that bucket I'd put 'level design'; Area 1-X is just a lot of hallways, tunnels, and small trees accented with concrete and I gotta say as someone who as played a lot of games my brain parses that as just rectangles and boxes. The ship, otoh, is interesting and exciting. The flesh barn and flesh house are equally interesting. If anything I'd say that B4B has some interesting ideas but they string together their cool encounters with a lot of empty roads and such which is loyal to L4D but the model has been iterated on since then. Enemy design too falls into that bucket; the Bruiser my brain parses as scary and special but the others are just bricks. Also I think the game on the whole needs more color. There, that's why it feels like it's empty and has no soul. Oh also the sound design is very samey for enemies.

The second complain I see all the time is that the VS mode sucks and I can't speak to that at all. I played L4D for literal years and never played VS because it stressed me out so I'm going to shrug here and move on

The third complaint I see all over is that the game is 'too easy' to which I say lol you have played too much L4D game is as challenging as its competitors.

There are definitely bones to pick with the game but in terms of tweaking the character of the game they could do a lot with very little adjustment but time will tell if they bother.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 6, 2021

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
Apparently one of the devs confirmed in discord that there won't be Campaign Versus, which makes this game dead on arrival for me unfortunately. Beta, especially the pvp mode, was very meh for me too.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

I actually think Versus Campaign is overated compared to Scavenge/Follow the Liter but I get why people love it. It does feel weird that they won't have it at all considering how much they're clearly designing around l4d otherwise. I hope they at least toss in some sort of objective based mode because if it's just sweaty Survival the PVP is likely gonna be DOA. I wouldn't care that much tbh but if they're gonna do it they should make sure people actually want to play it.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

thewizardofshoe posted:

I actually think Versus Campaign is overated compared to Scavenge/Follow the Liter but I get why people love it. It does feel weird that they won't have it at all considering how much they're clearly designing around l4d otherwise. I hope they at least toss in some sort of objective based mode because if it's just sweaty Survival the PVP is likely gonna be DOA. I wouldn't care that much tbh but if they're gonna do it they should make sure people actually want to play it.

Yeah I agree with that too. I can't care less about PvP in these games, I think it's completely counter to the point, but if you're going to include it, it should be dedicated to your PvP diehards those are the only people interested in the mode. And they're incredibly easy to alienate as a group.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I played a round, until they killed me (first dead in my team, ups).

So… it’s basically Left 4 Dead 3. Which it was always the intention, the title says as much, with the 4 in the middle and the choice of the word ‘back’, back to their original series, but with another name.
This was already clear on the trailers, but playing it made me think how similar is to L4D, even in the visuals, for things like the chosen colors and the lightning. They clearly tried to be reminiscent of how the first two looked, even if they are using a different engine!

Beyond that, well, the level structure & overall pace is also similar to L4D, same as some of the special zombies, same as the safe houses, etc. The novelties?
-weapons are more rpg-y, presented with a card with stats and the overall level.
-They can have attachments.
-In general there is more itemization. Not only there are a good number of different weapons, both melee and ranged, but there are also a good amount of explosives, defensive or offensive items, etc.
-Weapons have different ammo (rifles, smg, pistol, sniper, shotgun, I think), you can take any ammo even if you don’t have that weapon type and you can drop ammo for mates.
-The card system, as a series of random bonuses or mutators for the level (one I’ve seen, fog present in the map). Some of the cards are actually more challenges than anything else, like receive x gold if you don’t die more than 1 time. That kind of stuff. So really the cards are a catch-all system for several different things, like player perks, random level changes, challenges, etc.
-There is a economy, you win money and there is shop in each safe house.
-edit: It's so obvious that I didn't write it, but one of the main differences is that now you have ADS and sprint button.

oh yeah the performance is very good, even in a not top of the line computer.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 6, 2021

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I literally only cared about Versus in L4D and it's all I care about here. What's wrong with it?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So having played some more it's overall feeling less jank than my first try, but still feels incredibly inconsistent regarding difficulty in a way that detracts from the overall experience including what's probably my biggest overall issue with the game; the Ridden are honestly both boring as enemies(as they are very stupid in a way that was acceptable enough back in LFD2 but feels antiquated in a bad way for a game being released in 2021*) and often obnoxious to fight too(the melee hit detection for them is a bit bullshit in both directions), Mutated in particular just plain suck to fight(the whole weak point system just makes them a chore to kill) especially those really tall ones with the club arms cause they take way too much effort to kill and deal way too much damage too, if they show up during a horde event(which I also have problems with in general) in a cramped enough area than you're basically hosed particularly if more than one shows up

*indeed that's an overarching issue with the game, it feels too much like a game from 2009 in a lot of bad ways

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Managed to squeeze in about half a run last night, and yeah it's basically L4D 3. Which is nice, since that's pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. They kept the core formula largely untouched and instead focused on making runs feel more varied, which I'd say is a solid move. The guns feel solid and I appreciate the added variety, and the cards do seem like they could make for interesting builds down the line. I already had a fun combo with the healing on melee kills and the one that turns your shove into a knife melee attack.

My main complaint so far is mostly just that the specials feel a little visually indistinct. The Exploder and retch are big Greyish squares that look pretty similar, and the Stinger (?) is very nearly invisible next to regular infected.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know if I (or my pubbie teammates) am just terrible, but the easiest difficulty setting is dull because there's no challenge, but the next one up is way, way harder to the point that we normally fail on 1-2 or 1-3. I also agree about the visual clarity of the special infected, they don't pop out enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

So having played some more it's overall feeling less jank than my first try, but still feels incredibly inconsistent regarding difficulty in a way that detracts from the overall experience including what's probably my biggest overall issue with the game; the Ridden are honestly both boring as enemies(as they are very stupid in a way that was acceptable enough back in LFD2 but feels antiquated in a bad way for a game being released in 2021*) and often obnoxious to fight too(the melee hit detection for them is a bit bullshit in both directions), Mutated in particular just plain suck to fight(the whole weak point system just makes them a chore to kill) especially those really tall ones with the club arms cause they take way too much effort to kill and deal way too much damage too, if they show up during a horde event(which I also have problems with in general) in a cramped enough area than you're basically hosed particularly if more than one shows up

*indeed that's an overarching issue with the game, it feels too much like a game from 2009 in a lot of bad ways

Agree with a lot of this, the club arm guys were loving obnoxious as poo poo. Every round we'd manage a steady pace until we rolled the dice and got hit with a bunch of those fuckers in a row and we'd just have to suck it up and hope we didn't all get downed if it wasn't somewhere with alot of room to run. It's super difficult to dodge them unless you just sprint as far away as possible, since their swing can hit you from deceptively far and also works through walls, windows, through corners and scenery, etc. It's not even so much that they're difficult it's that they're so much more spongy and damaging than every other enemy type that it felt like a bug or something considering every other enemy type felt either reasonable or slightly too easy.

Anyways me and a friend of mine were super stoked to play this but it feels like one of those F2P mobile game ports or something where it just feels off all across the board. The movement feels really floaty and has weird acceleration and collision that led to us launching ourselves over cliffs and falling off of poo poo when trying to aim over it, and there's a fair amount of scenery that looks like you could jump over it or through it but can't. Guns felt mostly pretty bad. I guess maybe I've been spoiled by more recent games but they just didn't feel satisfying to shoot at all, it again felt very much like a mobile game where it's "AA" level for like 5 years ago but doesn't quite come up to par with what I'd expect.

Honestly really bummed, if this was a $20.00 indie game I'd be holding it to lower standards, but considering the hype I expected it to at least be on par with World War Z or something. This just feels really amateur outside of looking kinda nice. I'm not gonna comment on the card system because I know people love cards and decks and percentages and poo poo so even though it's not for me I can understand why WB would want that in there. Is there going to be a thing where you buy booster packs with Robux and there's a really extravagant animation of you opening them or something?

Hope y'all are able to find more glass half full on this one, I know a lot of people have been waiting for this. Maybe it'll be massively improved after a few patches, isn't that what happened with the other big Gamepass shooter, Outriders? Maybe they can pull an Outriders and it'll be really good after more time in the oven.