Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pontificating rear end posted:

simp is used widely everyone online and no one uses it for "simpleton"

Nah it’s just incels say it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I actually meant to type "everywhere" (as opposed to only on twitch)

although simp is often used misogynistically ie. if you watch a female streamer you are a simp

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
A pimp, a gimp and a simp walk into a bar. The bartender refuses to serve them.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Poggers!

edit: I will admit saying poggers is pretty fun.

See, I don't know this word but it has good energy. I'm going to assume its something harmless like minipigs or a subreddit filled with middle-aged men showing off their collections of pogs from the 90s.

Like some dude showing his EDC and it's a photo of a vintage slammer, capri sun and fruit by the foot in a TMNT lunchbox.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 19, 2020

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
ok boomer

Fail
Jan 19, 2006

Clever girl
Not quiet sure what to hate on more the quasi "journalistic" sources or Twitch first.

or myself definitely hate on myself for reading this

Fail fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 19, 2020

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Can I still use the n-word tho?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
As a white, it’s important for me to have my safe space.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

phasmid posted:

I'm at odds with them because they just use it as a stand-in for "cuck" or "beta" or some poo poo which is just dumb caveman cosplay poo poo. I'll go with the original, yes.
It's a modernized "white knight"/"stan" when used on twitch. It rose to prominence on twitch over people who blindly defend, throw money at, or pine for streamers/influencers/anyone who doesn't reciprocate. It isn't really used in a disparaging way on most of twitch. It's more of a joke there. The term is so ingrained into the culture at this point that plenty of streamers refer to their viewers endearingly as simps.

It is a bit more complex if you view it outside of the context of twitch. Elsewhere it may be used so vaguely you could define it as "show you have an interest in someone".

This rule is real poo poo because twitch likes to have vague rules that they use wildly inconsistently. They'll ban one streamer for not even coming close to the rule and will leave others alone for flagrantly violating it. They're also big fans of banning people for really unclear reasons and not explaining the ban.

Also weird the op didn't point out this rule also targets the ever-popular term "coomer".

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 19, 2020

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Coomer sounds racist. What does it mean?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

N. Senada posted:

it started with "coom" as a stand-in for "cum" . It evolved to "coomers" to refer to the people. It's a play on cum + "oomer" referring to a generation (boomer/zoomer) and "cummer". It means horny person or pervert.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 19, 2020

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Empty Sandwich posted:

brb, gotta do a Twitch stream

u forgot to link

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
So, is it banned for streamers to say in particular? Because let me tell you, Twitch chat certainly can't be prevented from using them or any other banned words.

c.f. any stream with a woman, a trans person, a non-white person visible

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

N. Senada posted:

It refers to the battle of Coom Valley. Many good folk died there ambushing their dastardly ambushers.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ok, coomer

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I've asked before but never gotten an answer. Surely it's just a contraction if simpering?

That's what I've always assumed

Also, Kitty Pryde was years ahead of the game:

https://youtu.be/3SDYus7iKC8

"Now you got me simpin and singin' to Frank Ocean..."

That song was recorded 9 years ago. I don't recall hearing "simp" everywhere until like 2 or 3 years ago...

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
From what I can tell "simp" basically means "giving too much attention/support, especially financial, to a pretty person that doesn't care, like, or even acknowledge your interests[wanting to bang said person or get a favor returned] or own existence" but it has to be swaddled in incel context because of course it loving does why wouldn't it

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
telling people they cant get laid is a time honored tradition

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Can you imagine if we couldn't remind each other how we are all going to die alone and sexless?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The best way to use Twitch is to find people with 2-3 viewers on Just Chatting and convince them to take so many shots they pass out on camera.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Holy poo poo this sounds likea new sport

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

TheAardvark posted:

The best way to use Twitch is to find people with 2-3 viewers on Just Chatting and convince them to take so many shots they pass out on camera.

I hope you at least throw them a sub postmortem.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TheAardvark posted:

Now this is some epic gaming!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It was better before COVID because there were usually a few college basement party streams and 100 bits ($1) was enough to convince the streamer to force a whole bunch of people to take a round of shots :thumbsup:

One of my favorite recent ones was a guy and his girlfriend baking a strawberry cake in the kitchen. They started taking shots of everclear because I noticed it in the background and just said "whoa is that everclear? Y'all should take some shots I've never tried that"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That's somehow way more hosed than the regular dumb nerd poo poo people do on twitcher.

Alcohol poisoning isn't cool, kids.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Holy poo poo :pusheen:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

phasmid posted:

It actually just means simple, ie a simpleton. Idiot, fuckbrain, whatever clinical term. People on twitch use it differently because people who use twitch are, with few exceptions, simps.

drat I didn't know we had a time traveler from 1832.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
One time when I watched a stream there was a guy who was casually recommending his viewers to go follow his wife's channel too, and someone started poo poo by accusing him of simping.

A few couple days later he went to go visit his wife's Animal Crossing island and found out she decorated her island with custom designs that said "UR A SIMP"

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Streaming is actually pretty fun? I streamed a bunch of Amazing Cultivation Simulator over a week or so and having a few dozen people watching and commenting whilst I played and explained a chill overly complex game was more fun than just playing it by myself. Apparently I also now have a monetisable channel?

Doing it for an actual job seems like it would loving suck though. I suspect doing literally any other legal job would suck less and pay better.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Maybe I should stream. Wonder if they ever fixed the Quest only streaming to Facebook

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Patrat posted:

Doing it for an actual job seems like it would loving suck though. I suspect doing literally any other legal job would suck less and pay better.

I’m an illegal streamer

I only stream on Facebook :suezo:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Patrat posted:

Streaming is actually pretty fun? I streamed a bunch of Amazing Cultivation Simulator over a week or so and having a few dozen people watching and commenting whilst I played and explained a chill overly complex game was more fun than just playing it by myself. Apparently I also now have a monetisable channel?

It depends how successful the person is and what their earning potential is. Some of the top streamers are making yearly incomes in the million dollar per year range. Especially with the platform contracts that went out with mixer/etc. The average successful full-time streamer is closer to $30k-$50k/yr. Many people try to stream full-time and make pretty much nothing.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 19, 2020

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Do it fit the glory, not the gold

Upcoming stream:
*minecraft and I meet my slender dad for the first time 🙀*

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

bossy lady posted:

Am I losing it or has the word "simp" been around since like the 90s? I've heard it as an urban youth and it was even in a few songs although it was spelled differently back then (symp)

Fatlip uses it in his verse in "passing me by":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48OYTEZQR9U&t=187s

holy poo poo, I know exactly the lyric, but never associated it with current use. that's like 1992ish. :corsair:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Khorne posted:

It depends how successful the person is and what their earning potential is. Some of the top streamers are making yearly incomes in the million dollar per year range. Especially with the platform contracts that went out with mixer/etc. The average successful full-time streamer is closer to $30k-$50k/yr. Many people try to stream full-time and make pretty much nothing.

Yeah, basically streaming is the same as any other "celebrity" profession. Actors, athletes, media personalities, streamers, it's all the same. You have a relatively small number of big shots who make what seems like a comical amount of money continuously, a larger contingent of small timers who do well enough to get by, and an endless legion of hopefuls toiling in obscurity, most of whom will never "make it".

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Patrat posted:

is that game any good i read and enjoyed some terrible cultivation novels back in the day

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I wish there was a way I could stream from my quest and have people type at me and stuff. it would be fun to stream it to a small group of friends and bullshit while playing acrons or something, but I want to play in VR alot of the time and don't like wires

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

is that game any good i read and enjoyed some terrible cultivation novels back in the day

It is like a simplified and more janky version of Rimworld coupled with multiple weird and infinitely complex systems for making some of your little guys into (potentially) comically powerful magical kung fu wizards. And it is ludicrously deep, one person on the Discord wrote a 58 page guide to one relatively obscure mechanic that is limited to high level play and you can if you want ignore entirely. This was not a verbose and excessive guide and skimmed over a lot of details.

I find it a lot of fun to mess around with but it definitely benefits from reading guides and I keep restarting after realizing that if I do X simple thing I can make my dudes Y more powerful! Also mass harvesting of the tortured souls of poor fools who thought they were going to get to join your sect is optimal, you need their souls to infuse herbs and make them more powerful. Feeding pills/herbs that are too powerful will make your guys explode though. Also putting your doors in the wrong walls and thus ruining the feng shui can kill people with heart attacks.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

phasmid posted:

I'm at odds with them because they just use it as a stand-in for "cuck" or "beta" or some poo poo which is just dumb caveman cosplay poo poo. I'll go with the original, yes.

that's not how language works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

From what I understand it Twitch is the medium through which streamers monetize their simps, where simp is often used to describe the type of loser that is overly committed to and supportive of their one-sided parasocial relationship. It makes perfect sense that they would want to cut down on that sort of talk amongst its userbase.

Imagine if an online platform allowed its own community to accept a negative stereotype of itself developed by a subset of its users that, despite still frequenting and commenting on the site, considers the majority of its userbase to be beneath them and deserving of mockery. The community would probably end up propagating that negative stereotype of itself throughout the wider internet. That would most likely make it difficult to recruit new users–eventually sending the platform into a slow death spiral. No one running an online community and depending on it for their livelihood could be so incompetent that they would allow that to happen.