Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
hey, the last ufc event of the year is here

there are some fights, here is a place to talk about them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Carlton :negative:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

that was intended to be a lil goof about his surname, but uh, he's not looking good at all so far

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CommonShore posted:

Yesterday I threatened to film a “Goon reacts” video for this breakdown because this is literally the first time I have looked at this card. Thankfully, I’m far too lazy to record, edit, upload, and share a video. Nonetheless all of my impressions on these fights are going to be fresh.

Welterweight Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson vs Geoff Neal
This is the kind of matchup that we need to see more often. Multiple-time title challenger Thompson is what I consider a highest-echelon gatekeeper. He’s never going to be champion, but only elite fighters are going to beat him. Last time out we saw him break a 2-fight skid by taking a unanimous decision over Vicente Luque. He’s such a weird style that fighters can even lose to him and have their stock increase. That’s exactly what Geoff Neal needs. He's 5-0 in the UFC with 4 finishes, including the tough Frank Camacho, Mike Perry, and Niko Price. He has a pre UFC loss to Kevin Holland (at 170, apparently). As I recall he has a boxing-centric attack with a bit of kicking thrown in there. Should be a good time, though I think the style matchup strongly favours Wonderboy.

Bantamweight Jose Aldo vs Marlon Vera
This is another pretty good matchup. Aldo is coming off of another very sad title fight loss, this time to Petr Yan, putting him on a 3 fight skid (sorta). If you don’t know Aldo, he’s one of the all-time p4p greats. His featherweight championship run through WEC and UFC is worth watching on its own merit. Stylistically I like thinking of him as an anti-wrestler with leg kicks which he doesn’t throw as much as he used to. Marlon “Chito” Vera is 9-5 UFC, has never been finished, and would be on a 7-fight win streak if not for a contentious split decision loss to Song Yadong at Featherweight. Most recently we saw him TKO Sean O’Malley, whose body fell apart hilariously in the cage, presumably while smelling his own farts, and then telling O’Malley that he was too much of a punk to deserve a rematch, which is true.

:getin::siren:Welterweight Michel Pereira vs Khaos Williams
Get the gently caress in. Pereira is that lunatic guy who throws pretty much nothing but spinning poo poo and who lost a DQ to Diego Sanchez. His last fight he won by a slick scramble back take rnc. Khaos Williams is 2-0 UFC, with 2 KOs, and 57 seconds of fight time. He has put down Abdul Razak Alhassan and Alex Morono, both of whom know how to bang. He has that scary kind of power – he reminds me of Julian Jackson that way, at least in the aesthetics of his KOs. Doesn’t have the cool haircut though.

Bantamweight Marlon Moraes vs Rob Font
I think this is a good one? Moraes is coming off of a knockout of the year contender… loss to Cory Sandhagen, and a contentious split decision win vs Jose Aldo before that, and a TKO loss to Henry Cejudo before that. But before that he was on a 4-fight streak with 3 POTNs. He’s the former WSOF champion and many consider him top-level. He needs to prove it vs Font, though. Font is a pretty good but not great fighter coasting outside the top level of the division. He has only fought in Decembers since 2018, so he hasn’t been active, but those wins are over Ricky Simon and Sergio Pettis. This is definitely a “no you’re a journeyman gatekeeper" fight.

:hmmyes: Flyweight Gillian Robertson vs Taila Santos
Well I am excited for this one. Canadian Robertson is one of those fighters who is flirting with the inner circle of the division. Her last time out against a very large and powerful Poliana Botelho she showed what I’ll call one of the best examples of old-school BJJ I’ve ever seen in MMA. It was a decision, but there’s no doubt in my mind that a finish was inevitable, given time. She’s 6-2 in the UFC overall. Three of her four career losses are to names. Taila Santos is a contender series product from Brazil, and she’s 16-1 overall, 1-1 UFC. She has a win over Molly McCann (which I somewhat remember?) in July. I think that was mostly an outside-striking decision which left McCann all confused. Santos was supposed to fight two weeks ago but her opponent’s corner tested positive for Covid.

:barf: Heavyweight Marcin Tybura vs Gr3g H@rdy
I don’t like either of these guys so I’ll keep it brief. Tybura is 3-0 this year, most recently with a win over Rothwell in October. GH is 2-0 with a TKO over Mo Greene. This is likely going to be a loving awful fight, and not in the “fat light heavyweight fights an even fatter middleweight” kind of way that we like.

Preliminary Card
Welterweight Anthony Pettis vs Alex Morono
Woah Pettis is way down here for the 10th anniversary of his career highlight (someone link the WEC 53 post). He took a decision over Cerrone in May, which I don’t remember, and then has back-to-back losses to Carlos Ferreira and Nate Diaz before that, and Tony Ferguson before that, with an underdog, welterweight upset superman punch KO of Wonderboy shuffled in. Huh. Pettis is late career and definitely on a downswing (he’s 5-7 since losing his title) but I don’t think Morono is much of a threat to his job security. Morono 7-4 UFC (well, 7-3 1NC). He’s one of those guys who has a BJJ black belt but just brawls all the time. He’s fun to watch anyway. In November he took a decision over Rhys McKee which I know I was present for but I think I was paying attention to discord instead.

Bantamweight Sijara Eubanks vs Pannie Kianzad
Augh “Sarge.” She’s definitely a journeywoman. 6-5 overall and 4-3 in the UFC. She has killer BJJ and demonstrated power, but some of the worst fight IQ I’ve ever seen – usually she just tries to brawl instead of getting her grappling going. Last time out she lost an embarrassing decision to Ketlen Viera, two weeks after beating Julia Avilia in a great performance. Pannie Kianzad is a 13-5 Swede who lost in the finals of the TUF: Featherweight tournament (we didn’t get a featherweight division, did we.) She kickboxes, I guess? I remember having enjoyed some of her fights. She has missed weight a few times at 135. Her last fight was a decision win over Bethe.

Catchweight 195lb Deronn Winn vs Antonio Arroyo
Derron Winn was supposed to be Cormier’s protégé. He’s that guy who is like 5’6” and was fighting at 205. He’s 1-2 in the UFC with no good wins. Meerschaert RNCed him a while back and then Winn tested positive for speed. :toot: Arroyo is a 9-2 Brazillian who has had 5 consecutive fights fall apart, most notably vs Eryk Anders in November. Here’s what I wrote then:
Arroyo is a 9-3 Brazilian Contender Series product who is 0-1 in the UFC. Weird matchup. My guess is that Anders is going to be “The biggest betting favourite on the card.”

:shrug:

Bantamweight Aiemann Zahabi vs Drako Rodriguez
Zahabi is the younger brother of Firas, the head coach of Tristar. He’s 1-2 in the UFC and has been in low activity mode for some time, fighting only once since a vicious 2017 KO loss to Ricardo Ramos. Draco is 24 years old, 7-1 and making his debut off of a September contender series win. His only career loss is to Tony Gravely, who is also in the UFC now.

Middleweight Tafon Nchukwi vs Jamie Pickett
Nchukwi is a 4-0 26 year old from Cameroon (Team Lloyd Irvin :barf:) He appeared on the Contender Series in September and head kicked a Samoan dude so hard that the guy didn’t get up for like 10 minutes. Between his 7 total pro and amateur bouts all of his wins are by KO. Pickett is 11-4 making his debut off of a Contender Series fight – he’s actually 1-2 on the Contender Series, which tells its own story.

(note – Wikipedia and Tapology have different info for the rest of the card. Who knows what’s happening with these three, but I’ll :justpost:)
Flyweight Jimmy Flick vs Cody Durden
This was supposed to be on December 5 but “Durden withdrew with a medical issue”. Here’s what I wrote then:
I swear I’m not making these names up. Flick “the Brick” is 15-5 LFA champ and contender series product. This is his first big show fight. A couple of his losses are to guys who are now in, or who have fought in, the UFC. Cody Durden (seriously that’s his name) is 11-2-1 and drew against Chris Gutierrez (who has a win over Flick) in August.

Karl Roberson vs Dalcha Lungiambula
Roberson is 9-3 and came into the UFC off of a 2017 Contender Series in over Ryan Spann. He has a win over Darren Stewart, a loss to Glover, and more recently to Vettori. Roberson is the guy who passed out in the walk-out tunnel back in May. Lungiambula is a 35-year-old Congolese fighter with a 10-2 record. He flattened Dequan Townsend June 2019, but then followed that up with a front kick loss to Ankalaev.

Lightweight TBD vs Carlton Minus
e: TBD evealed as Christos Giagos

Minus was supposed to fight Rick Glenn, but Covid. Minus is 10-2, 0-1 UFC with lots of wins in Alaska FC. Presumably they’re trying to find a replacement for Glenn?

That replacement is Giagos, a 2-2 UFC 17-8 overall journeyman. His losses are to Oliveira and Drakkar Klose.

I've also struck out a cancelled fight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FLYING TRIANGLE

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

how the hell does Nchukwi make 185

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh right, Winn was supposed to be the new Cormier, but apparently he was only trained on Cormier vs. Jones I

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I love Winn

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Oh right, Winn was supposed to be the new Cormier, but apparently he was only trained on Cormier vs. Jones I

He's like the AAA mini of Cormier

OR

He got all of cormiers body shape, half of cormiers talent and 3/4 of his height

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pettis :cripes:

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I wonder if Pettis still bothers to get his hair trimmed multiple times a week. Mindset of a champion.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

How do people get to UFC level that have no idea about cage-cutting

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
What a kick.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Am I crazy or has Pettis given his terrible portrait tattoos a touch-up?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
There's just something about Pettis that stops me from giving the slightest rats rear end about him or his fights or his career. I know he's "Dynamic!™" and has an all time great kick but I just can't get into it for some reason.

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

that Vera highlight of the solid hammerfists to the base of the skull

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big boys doing thangs

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

RIP Prince of War

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Hahahahaha

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
You loving LOVE to see it

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
The PRINCE OF WAR sure does suck

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

yes, ha ha, yes

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Hardy looks like he needs to be on a ventilator immediately.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Greg hardy looks so improved, his most complete 5 minutes, amazing improvement. He's really on the up swing

*gets sat on by fat man and turtles*

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Man, Hardy is a quitter, huh?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

BrotherJayne posted:

Man, Hardy is a quitter, huh?

he like to say he a man, but he put his hands on women

marcin got way more heart than he does

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
god drat! Great fight

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

my bald son :(

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

god drat rob font

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Sick rear end fight man

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Goddamn what a slobberknocker

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

That was savagery and I mean it in a good way

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
crisp striking

did morales get lose consciousness like 4 times

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So is Moraes now 4-4 for his last 8 fights? Ouch.

Edit: oh wait no, he beat Aldo.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
who's the lady in the wizard's cloak

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

the reporter? laura sanko

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
This is the real co main.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just wanted to stop in and say gently caress greg hardy. Thanks Marcin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
williams catching the kicks and returning with heavy punches is so quick and impressive. dude has insane reflexes and athleticism

greg hardy delenda est