Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Pharnakes posted:

The KB are given their final orders and told to go radio silent. I won’t even click on them in the next turns to avoid potentially generating radio traffic detected reports for him.

Wait, that's seriously a thing? This game, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The Allies have way more different airframes, seeing as Japan is fighting China, the USA, the UK, and the Netherlands simultaneously. Admittedly, I don't think China has its own planes, but that's still three different countries worth of separate plane lineups.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, Big E at Port Moresby with no CAP up is an, ah, interesting tactical decision.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

It seems like it would be incredibly risky to do in a not-in-combat-right-this-second-but-soon situation like this, though. At the very least it would restrict maneuverability and speed.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Is Umikaze a submarine now? 95 flooding damage can't leave much to work with on a destroyer.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I am incredibly impressed that Umikaze is still above water a day later. She's just waiting for a wave to bump into her to capsize or just plain sink her.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Keep in mind that in an unmodded game, Pharnakes would never have had a chance to sink Ark Royal. Hell, in real life (and the base version of the game) Ark Royal is already sunk by the time the game starts. She was torpedoed by a U-Boat in November of 1941. It's hard to say how far ahead or behind he is because the game is modded with extra help given to both sides.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

Looks like neither Indomitable nor New Zealand have gone down.

New Zealand doesn’t surprise me but what the gently caress is Indomitable made of exacty??

Spite. She's made of spite.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Holy poo poo, really? I can understand skimping on ground combat stuff because that's not really the central focus of the game, but ship-mounted radar and fire control were such a huge technological leap in the middle of WW2 that it boggles the mind. How can you make a super grog game like this and pretend that radar and fire control don't exist?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

banzai! did the raiding TF make torp attacks on the TKs or no?

It was all gun fire. Torpedoes are reported separately.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

So he gets to keep all his stupid uber fighters, and you get nothing?

According to Alikchi's twitter, they banned the use of Scythes for sweeping after this.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly, right now it feels mostly like a comp stomp to me. I hope Alikchi starts actually doing things soon. I realize the IJN has a big advantage early on, but I don't think he's actually made a significant move with his navy... ever. I'm not counting the obsolete BBs that tried to engage the initial Ceylon landing forces.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Broken Box posted:

thats a lot of vegemite

The Japanese troops assumed it was some sort of solid(ish) fuel at first. Imagine their surprise when they found out the Aussies eat the stuff.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I just now realized that Atago is classified as a BB here. In real life, she was a heavy cruiser armed with 8 inch dual-purpose guns. Is that a change in the custom scenario? Are all the Takao-class cruisers BBs now?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Oh, it's right there in the first post. Now I feel stupid. Oh well! Thanks for answering anyway.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

Why/how is armor separate from durability? What does durability represent?

Just a guess, but armor probably prevents or mitigates damage, while durability is likely either how much damage a plane can take or a descriptor of how likely a hit is to kill the plane.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Also, keep in mind that this breakout was due to supplies magically appearing out of thin air. Alikchi had Pharnakes's troops in a bad spot and that fight *should* have gone very differently.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

wedgekree posted:

all those planes on ASW have to be good for something!

Using up supply, mostly.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Rudi Starnberg posted:

If there is a reason that isn't it. In general at the moment I feel like he's flailing, looking for something that will work against us and never finding it because he only does each thing for a day or two before giving up.

Or because whenever he does something effective with his planes, it gets banned.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

mercenarynuker posted:

Does Japan have an air training program a la the Allies? I know in Grey's Allied run, he was constantly rotating pilots back as instructors, especially early in the war. Can you do that yourself, or affect new pilot skill in any way?

The mod they're using provides a floor to the Japanese pilots' experience levels so that they're all at least baseline semi-competent.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Gort posted:

I think Pharnakes was saying earlier that he has more pilots than he'll ever need in this scenario, so probably not a big deal on that front

These were Kido Butai pilots, so extremely experienced. Number of pilots isn't an issue, but losing that many elite carrier bomber pilots has to suck.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Holy cow, those USMC stats are crazy compared to the IJA. 11 times the anti-armor? Yikes. Did the IJA not practice combined arms or something? No anti-tank weapons embedded in their infantry units? I mean, to be fair, their main job was to fight the Chinese, who had armor even worse than Japan's where it existed at all, but still.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

These are the stats for an infantry squad only. An infantry squad on its own isn't going to practice combined arms tactics, and the standard anti-tank weapon of the IJA rifle squad was either a mine on a string, a mine on a stick, or nothing.

Oh, duh, that makes sense. I momentarily forgot that this insane game models troops down to the squad level.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Regardless, Tokyo Bay Fortress remains in Tokyo Bay.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

My understanding is that the plane losses report in that big end-of-turn status screen thing is 100% accurate, which is dumb for a number of reasons but that's WitP for you.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, it does. The IJN/IJA should never reach a point where they're forced to field subpar pilots.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Not really. Those were Marine planes, most likely.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

RO-102 continuing her career.

Wait, what the hell. No, not even what. HOW the hell is Terror in Australian waters?

For those who don't know, Terror and her sister ship Erebus were Monitors, which are really bizarre ships that are basically destroyers with a single battleship-grade (15 inch in this case) turret and basically no other armaments. They're utterly useless for anything but shore bombardment against undefended positions, and they were... not very seaworthy. There are also WW2 submarines who can outrun her while submerged.

EDIT: Update on the previous page!

Zurai fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 2, 2022

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Ohhh, that makes way more sense. I got fooled by the M in the class designation (didn't think of minelayers) and the fact that the US Navy is usually extremely boring in its ship names.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm guessing USS Terror is a far more useful kill than HMS Terror would be

Very much so. HMS Erebus and HMS Terror got used a bunch in WW1 to bombard the Belgian coast, but they really weren't very useful by the time WW2 came around. Two 15 inch guns is not very much when America has all those Standards (insert tuba noises) just laying around. And Standards are faster by a whopping 8-10 knots which is saying something.

USS Terror, meanwhile, is (according to Wikipedia) one of only three dedicated minelayers the US built during WW2. There are other means to deploy mines (both subs and planes did minelaying duty IRL, no idea about WitP) but I have to imagine a dedicated ship is much better at it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Can't be a sub; all the explosions were on the pier side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Cimber posted:

hopefully not 'interesting' enough that it's game ending.

I don't think this could be a Midway type situation. Pharnakes has too many carriers not present (this is what, 1/4 or 1/3 of his carriers, if that?) and Alikchi has like 20 Essexes and god knows how many Independences and CVEs rolling off the assembly lines. Even if those carriers are Alikchi's entire available carrier fleet and he loses them all, he's done everything so far with minimal carrier backup and he's still got zillions being produced. Meanwhile, if Pharnakes loses this whole fleet, he's still got the carriers "repairing" in Singapore, the ones currently interdicting India, and whatever's under construction in the home islands or doing tasks elsewhere.

That's not to say it's insignificant. Assuming it actually comes to a carrier vs carrier battle and some flattops get sunk or even badly damaged, it'll have real implications for the continuing battle over the Pacific islands. Pharnakes has more carriers active so can absorb the losses better in the short term, but every one he loses is gone forever. Meanwhile, Alikchi has effectively infinite carriers coming as long as he can drag things out--but he's only got a handful active right now, so it'd be (another) major setback if they get roughed up and would probably force him to reconsider any advances in the region for a while.

And I think if Alikchi was going to quit for morale reasons he'd have done it when it was clear he was going to lose all of India. Which was quite a while back and he's still going strong. I mean, IIRC Pharnakes has already technically won a major victory in game terms, but both players agreed that they wanted to see it out to the end.