Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
So, could a WW2 buff tell me how effective PT boats were in the real world? I recall learning that MacArthur escaped the Philippines on one but other than that don't remember much. They seem to be fairly effective here in WitP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Also, as a naive observer, kinda surprised that there wasn't surface combat given that it was a only CVL and a DD vs. multiple Cruisers and a BB. I guess that might be a setting for the carrier groups generally to avoid that? Though I suppose it does make sense to avoid that small risk of a surface engagement for the relatively risk-free naval strike - if only they had actually sent all their strike groups!

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
I have no suggestions, but I am slightly curious about the mechanics of playing this game with a human. How long does it take for you to do a "day"? And how does the gameplay between you two work anyways? Is it like a save file sent in between or a server or something?

Really enjoying this LP by the way. WitP and Dominions are some of my favorite LPs here, but I don't think I have the stomach to play them myself.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

aphid_licker posted:

This game has really given me an appreciation for how something like sneakily evacuating half the garrison of Singapore would be possible. Like how much space is involved and how you have to actively decide to do an LRCAP, or a sweep, or send a submarine or whatever if you want to look at something and you can't be everywhere.

Yeah I was curious about this. In actual WWII are there examples of early airlift operations like this? All I can recall from my history classes is the post-war Berlin Airlift (of supplies, admittedly not troops).

And in WiTP, is it possible to just hop-skotch around defending bases? Like have a strong initial force that you try to quickly or secretly spirit away once the enemy is bogged down/committed? I 'spose you risk losing a lot of valuable transport planes as well, so maybe it's only possible in a niche way where you have very good control over the air?

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

SIGSEGV posted:

I like to imagine that this game has both of you going "I'm losing this war so badly" at the same time, between your Ceylon excursion and his pilot's CVL blindness.

The old trope of a good deal is one where both parties are dissatisfied.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Man, it seems like you have really done a number on his Tankers. How much does this hurt the Allies/what does it mean for them? Less ability to run task forces around/difficulty supplying bases?

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

orangelex44 posted:

Nice job on the tankers. What's the count on those up to now? 10 or so, if we guess that the last two today will be going down?

Last weekish he had ~20 tankers down total. Another poster said that the US starts with 69 tankers, so if he's up to ~25 now that seems like a pretty massive dent (something like 1/3 of his starting force, neglecting whatever the allies have built in the interim).

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Holy cow! Also, ~100 Japanese fighters vs. 3 Scythes for no Allied loses sure is something.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Pardon my ignorance, but why can't you attack now at Palembang? It looks like there's about a 6:1 assault value advantage. Are you waiting for additional forces to make it even better? Are the defense bonuses there good enough that the advantage isn't as large as it seems, so you need to run down supplies or something?

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

Pharnakes posted:

Someone with a T99 propped up on a squad mates' back gets absurdly lucky.

You weren't kidding - from the wikipedia page on the Type 99!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_99_light_machine_gun#/media/File:First_Liutenant_Hajime_Asai_and_His_ten_men_4.jpg

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

Grammarchist posted:

Tokyo Rose just started putting an anachronistic rendition of "It's Raining Men" out on the radio for no particular reason. Nothing for the guys on the transport planes to worry about.

Perhaps I've missed it, but I don't believe I've seen any "combat" or interceptions of the various troop and cargo transport planes. Definitely have seen them destroyed on the ground and as ops losses, but I'm curious how the game models transport planes being shot down? Like Milne Bay has been getting a good proportion of its supplies through the air, and up until recently he was bombing and sweeping it regularly. Did you lose transports to enemy fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
For those of us with a less solid grasp - what is the your carrier strength vs. (your best guess) Alikchi's? Are you guys roughly equivalent now? Or does Japan still have a bit of an edge? When are new ships coming online?

As always thanks for this, glad to see it continue!