Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

As I get older I realize that all feelings are chemical poo poo that goes off in our heads. Nothing really matters as we are all just a vapor in this timeline. As a child I recall olde people saying that our lives were like a drop in an ocean. Never realized what it meant but now I do realize it. Time is moving as if on a conveyor belt. There’s no stopping it. I sometimes wonder if on my death bed I will long for those boring times in my life at work when I would wish time to pass by quickly so I could go home. How important those “boring” times were and not to be taken for granted.

I sometimes wake up at night and feel a sense of dread as I realize that death is inevitable. But it makes me feel at the same time happy because I realize the pains and frustrations and uncertainties are just temporary in a sense. Soon it just won’t matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

whenever i feel this way i just eat a hoagie and i'm good for another week

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
The days are long, but the years are short.

I hope you are doing OK, OP. Your post is somewhat ominous. Hang in there.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

We don't know if anything we do in this life matters or not. Death may just be the end, or it may be we move on to another life here on Earth, or maybe we take off our alien headphones and step away from the computer simulation we were playing, or who the hell knows what.

I do admit and accept that what an individual does probably won't matter in the big picture. There are some people who are exceptional for better or worse, but most of us are stuck making sure we can put food on the table and won't accomplish much more than that.

Don't let it get you down OP. Keep food on your table, and do what you can to bring more joy into the world than you bring sadness. Then at least, whether poo poo matters or not, you've done your best.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
A serious young man found the conflicts of early 21st Century America
confusing. He went to many people seeking a way of resolving within himself
the discords that troubled him, but he remained troubled.
One night in a coffee house, a self-ordained Zen Master said to him, "go to the dilapidated mansion you will find at this address which I have written down for you. Do not speak to those who live there; you must remain silent until the moon rises tomorrow night. Go to the large room on the right of the main
hallway, sit in the lotus position on top of the rubble in the northeast
corner, face the corner, and meditate."
He did just as the Zen Master instructed. His meditation was frequently interrupted by worries. He worried whether or not the rest of the plumbing fixtures would fall from the second floor bathroom to join the pipes and other trash he was sitting on.
He worried how would he know when the moon rose on the next night. He
worried about what the people who walked through the room said about him.
His worrying and meditation were disturbed when, as if in a test of his
faith, ordure fell from the second floor onto him. At that time two people
walked into the room. The first asked the second who the man was sitting
there was. The second replied "Some say he is a holy man. Others say he is
a shithead."
Hearing this, the man was enlightened.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Get some therapy OP.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

If there's one thing I've learned about the meaning of life is that there is none. It is entirely about whatever you decide it is. Want to make your mark on the world? then do so. Want to rot in front of your computer? Then do that. We all play our role in things and the effects of our existence will reverberate through time one way or another to varying degrees.
Some people think that line of thinking is nihilism and defeatist but I think it's a positive since there are no preconceived notions about what you must do and leave you with the choice of 'do you want your effect on the world and universe to be positive or negative?'

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

life is like that for you op because you have not discovered thug life

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Life is, imo, ok.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Life.
It ain't easy.
It's so tough.
It ain't easy.
What you gonna do?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRPLaobXG2k

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Counterpoint, OP:

Why does it matter that feelings are just neurochemical reactions inside your head? Your whole subjective experience of the world is basically just a simulation your brain whips up. My favorite way that I have heard it put is “your brain is the universe thinking about itself.”

So, doesn’t matter that it is all just chemical poo poo. Without that chemical poo poo the universe might just as well not exist at all since there is no one around experiencing it. So yeah, we might be an insignificant part. But we are the part that gives existence it’s point.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The answer is to gently caress more

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Humans existed solely for the purpose of writing Smash Mouth's All Star and all the rest of existence is just incidental.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye_iob2MwGw

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

I never associate that feeling you get, when you lie awake, when you realize how small your life is, that your dust exists briefly as the shape of a man, with the tether of a soul to animate it; with dread.

Its an honour to be here at this moment, during this march of the constellations, to witness the moments that pass by. Its a blessing to be here, and the finality of that is further gift.

There's hope for the future, of you, of man, of our souls, or of the dust, who knows what's beyond the veil, could be nothing, bliss, could be another course to set.

Your purpose is yours to choose, and wise men will tell you just as fools, to set your sights on the star they follow. but the choice is yours alone. Listen to their wisdom, from their successes and their failures. And I promise you that we'll all be in the same place, in 80 years time.

and then a leaky pipe dumped poo poo on my head

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Life is trying to tell you to lurk more, OP.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Do you remember old CRT screens? I imagine you do. If you were anything like me, you used to wait (maybe even set an alarm) for that glorious 30 minute mark. Because that's when you could degauss again for a real big FIREWORK explosion. 10 minutes scratched that itch but man, 30 minutes was when poo poo got interesting. Longer was better. I'd leave my screen on all night so I could get a proper "THUMP" that you could see and feel in the morning. Psychedelics can do the same for your brain.

I guess what I'm asking is: have you tried LSD?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Knormal posted:

Life.
It ain't easy.
It's so tough.
It ain't easy.
What you gonna do?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRPLaobXG2k
What a blast from the past. They don't make music like this anymore :corsair:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VinylonUnderground posted:

Do you remember old CRT screens? I imagine you do. If you were anything like me, you used to wait (maybe even set an alarm) for that glorious 30 minute mark. Because that's when you could degauss again for a real big FIREWORK explosion. 10 minutes scratched that itch but man, 30 minutes was when poo poo got interesting. Longer was better. I'd leave my screen on all night so I could get a proper "THUMP" that you could see and feel in the morning. Psychedelics can do the same for your brain.

I guess what I'm asking is: have you tried LSD?

i never actually degaussed. i didnt know it was a thing until well after lcds were popular.

my grandpa and i dumped hundreds of hours in to Doom 2 and Baldurs Gate and never noticed any change so idk maybe we had some fancy model that degaussed its self

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

both my sense of where i am in the universe and my moral code is largely based on xavier's teachings

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease that is 100% fatal

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

The years start coming and they really don't stop coming.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Robo Reagan posted:

i never actually degaussed. i didnt know it was a thing until well after lcds were popular.

my grandpa and i dumped hundreds of hours in to Doom 2 and Baldurs Gate and never noticed any change so idk maybe we had some fancy model that degaussed its self

You didn't have to do it very often and a big part of the "thrumb" of a CRT monitor setting up was a degaussing. But it was a cool thing to see and I miss it. To me that's real computer poo poo. A C:\ and a loud THRUUUMB

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

You were born a slab of thinking meat cursed with a comprehension of your own mortality. You might be lucky and go out in a blink if some catastrophic misadventure happens, but it’s way more likely it will be slow, drawn out, and expensive. You despise your life yet you cling to it desperately. In the end, nothing of this will even matter. You will be annihilated and in a short while nobody will even remember your existence.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
lol if you don't believe in quantum immortality. even cowards live forever. try not to make all futures including you futures where you are an invalid of some sort.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

You were born a slab of thinking meat cursed with a comprehension of your own mortality. You might be lucky and go out in a blink if some catastrophic misadventure happens, but it’s way more likely it will be slow, drawn out, and expensive. You despise your life yet you cling to it desperately. In the end, nothing of this will even matter. You will be annihilated and in a short while nobody will even remember your existence.

I'll remember Piggy Smalls forever, don't listen OP

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Cheer up op!

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just saying 'up op' cheers me up

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
All life, humans included, exists both as a result and in order to replicate. As a result, specialized life exists everywhere there is enough energy to be extracted to power reproduction. Humans approach replication by specializing in processing information, specifically to find patterns, communicating, and cooperating. We can see or conceive of more intricate patterns than other animals and we call that intelligence.

My point is, the only reason you exist is because two organisms reproduced. Your only "purpose" is to reproduce. But you can understand bigger patterns, and you can choose to intentionally dismiss them as drivers in your life. Either way, you have much more mental potential than necessary to exclusively eat and try to reproduce. How you choose to use it is up to you. Ultimately culture is arbitrary, so there is no morally correct or incorrect to way to live. Do what you want. Stick to the script, or don't. I'm leaning into empathy, communication, and cooperation and not really prioritizing reproductio, but that's just what I want to do. Do something else if it makes you happy. Ultimately, that's the best thing you can do with your brain.

Brought to you by my nightly sleepy time bowl of weed.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 20, 2020

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Everything you'll ever be happens in between twin eternities of non-existence. Compared to two infinities of nothingness 100 years (at most) is the same as 0 years. Ipso facto you don't exist so don't worry about it.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

When playing the game of life with my family I would rig the cards so that I always got the police officer profession because it was OP. I would also slam out as many children as possible because they gave you additional money every turn and it compounded until you had so much money you could buy the win.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 20, 2020

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Every generation is born in order to uncover the mystery of the what is the best bbq

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
the purpose of life is to know, love, and serve God in this life, so that we can be with God in the next.

i remember my loving catechism, bitch

also, smoke weed

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Piggy Smalls posted:

As I get older I realize that all feelings are chemical poo poo that goes off in our heads. Nothing really matters as we are all just a vapor in this timeline. As a child I recall olde people saying that our lives were like a drop in an ocean. Never realized what it meant but now I do realize it. Time is moving as if on a conveyor belt. There’s no stopping it. I sometimes wonder if on my death bed I will long for those boring times in my life at work when I would wish time to pass by quickly so I could go home. How important those “boring” times were and not to be taken for granted.

I sometimes wake up at night and feel a sense of dread as I realize that death is inevitable. But it makes me feel at the same time happy because I realize the pains and frustrations and uncertainties are just temporary in a sense. Soon it just won’t matter.

Rust Coyle, huh?

https://youtu.be/A8x73UW8Hjk

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the only time is now, and the only constant is change

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Have you tried being a nihilist? It owns

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Icochet posted:

Just saying 'up op' cheers me up

what's up op

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
sometimes i remember death and have a bit of a panic. but then i think about it and its alright. we all die. it seems like its a lonely thing at first but were all in on it together

DickParasite posted:

The answer is to gently caress more
but not when its more about the cuddle

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ligma balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008