Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ForbiddenSock
May 12, 2020

Would using Nike brand socks for my seed be a cool flex?
Hello goons. I'm pretty sure everyone here has developed a palate that desires something more complex than instant mac and cheese. However there are plebs out there that would burn us at the stake for the things we do to food (think about the unreasonable amount of hate pineapple on pizza gets). This thread is for us to share our forbidden knowledge and exchange food combinations/recipes that only the bold seem to appreciate.

My favorites:

Cashews on Pizza - Tried this when I got someone else's pizza and food poisoning by mistake. The texture was weirdly good like burned bacon bits.
Mustard on Chili Dogs - I don't know why people think its weird, the contrast makes the chili go down even easier!
Sliced uncooked bananas in stir fry or spaghetti or with a plate of beans - Shut up it works.
Bread Sandwich - Poverty tip from a friend: Fry up a piece of bread in oil and season heavily with spices meant for chicken. Slap it between two slices of normal bread with mayo. Sad but cheap.
Red Radishes as a Potato substitute in soup - Cook the radish long enough and its like eating red potatoes without the starch. Its good for you and yummy so shut up.
Spaghetti Sandwich - My favorite is the jumbo
Spaghetti Taco - honestly crosses the line, but people I know swear by it
Redneck red eye - Put a spoonful of instant coffee powder into your mug of fresh hot brewed coffee. Your heart will thank you.
Trailer trash nigiri - Take your leftover tuna salad and try to wrap it into a ball of rice. Garnish with sesame seeds and bitter resentment at the baka gaijin that raised you.
PB & J Oatmeal - My SO hates that I make this, but its easier than reaching for the sugar in the cabinet. If you like your sandwiches runny give it a go.
Oranges and Salt - A hispanic and filipino delicacy that has cursed the human race for centuries. Will do if you are out of tajin.
Slice of lunch ham in a corn tortilla - out of bread both literally and figuratively? #justdoit
Coffee Chili - My dad once put coffee grinds in his chili thinking it was a different seasoning. It was a pleasant and unexpected surprise.
Hot Dog Rice - Not forbidden, but if you start adding mustard to your hotdogs and rice you're really pushing the envelope there bud. For fans of Ketchup and not spending money.
Cup of Noodles with Mayo - I personally will throw hands if you serve me this, but some people are masochists and we don't kink shame in this thread
Cereal and Orange Juice - Out of milk, but unwilling to admit how poor you are and settle for tap water? Try this, but don't use sunny D. It's too acidic.
Ketchup and Mustard Pringle Nachos - Microwave pringles with your choice of condiments for about 45 seconds until the mustard starts to brown. Serves 1 disappointed adult on fathers day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Basically all of such combinations are considered totally normal in some region and not even worth mentioning to people there. It took me over 10 years to try a crazy combination I sometimes heard off because I couldn't imagine it being anything but a prank meme. It was peanut butter and jelly.

My list of combos that surprise people:
Smoked salmon on pizza - picked it up in Rome and now it is my favourite-
egg on pizza - crack an egg on your pizza before putting it into the oven.
salt on watermelon slices- japanese staple, amazing once the days reach over 40°C
fried bacon and sesame - sprinkle on the sesame when it is almost done frying.

e:vvvvv I almost forgot, because I don't like it, In my region there is a fashion for putting salad on pizza. Just make a normal pizza and a normal small appetizer salad and dump the salad on the pizza before serving.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 20, 2020

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cheap supermarket potato salad on cheap supermarket frozen pizza is real good (you don't cook the potato salad obvs). Something about that nice combo of the cool potato salad and the warm cheese. This is a Life Hack I discovered when I was real broke about 20 years ago and Tesco Value poo poo was all I could afford.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Using ketchup on a salad when you run out of regular salad dressing.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I ate a half a pound of Toro with Arthur Bryant's bbq sauce. I had so much loving toro, I ran out of ways to eat it that weren't an affront to god.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Chocolate + Starfruit = dead

Durian + soda = dead

Buffalo + Mutton = dead

Milk + Mushrooms = dead

Milk + Fish = vitiligo (Michael Jackson was given this combination as a child)

Parrot + Gourd = dead

Cassava + Peacock = dead

There are many forbidden combinations out there.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5gTx1fVU4

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I'm loving that mayo, chicken, and canned corn topping.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I had a peanut butter and pickle sandwich for the first time last week. And do you know what? It's way better than PB&J.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Peanut butter and vegemite. It doesn't taste like you'd expect. Instead of getting either flavour distinctly, they combine into something new and wonderful.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ForbiddenSock posted:

Mustard on Chili Dogs - I don't know why people think its weird, the contrast makes the chili go down even easier!

This is how they come by default in upstate SC. Chili + mustard + onions.

Sorry, we can probably do this for any food combo like was said earlier:

VictualSquid posted:

Basically all of such combinations are considered totally normal in some region and not even worth mentioning to people there.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Yeah, how is mustard on any kind of hotdog 'forbidden'

Mayo on hotdogs though, *shudders*

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Jack Forge posted:

Yeah, how is mustard on any kind of hotdog 'forbidden'

Mayo on hotdogs though, *shudders*

You better stay out of Chile then.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

How about burger made with SPAM and Oreo cookie crumbles topped with mayo?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
when I was a study abroad student in Japan and didn't know what the gently caress I was doing with regard to cooking, I made this thing that was cooked white rice, doused with this kimchi base:

https://images.japancentre.com/images/pics/10034/large_webp/IMG_0103.webp?1548760895

then topped with raw white onions, cooked sausage, and yellow mustard. It was a loving nightmare and also delicious

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

MH Knights posted:

How about burger made with SPAM and Oreo cookie crumbles topped with mayo?

https://twitter.com/thatbilloakley/status/1341154252303921152?s=20

oooooooh.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
When I was first told some people put cinnamon on their pineapple pizza I thought that HAD to be a joke. It's actually not bad and apparently considered perfectly normal somewhere. Possibly even by you!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My little brother ate spaghetti Bolognese and pineapple several times.

Me, I'm a diehard believer in a grilled cheese and banana sandwich.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Disgusting and perverted

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
garlic powder or curry powder in a grilled cheese sandwich
pepperoni and honey pizza
sweetened-condensed milk over ice cream
PB & cardamom sandwich

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

McCracAttack posted:

I had a peanut butter and pickle sandwich for the first time last week. And do you know what? It's way better than PB&J.

I went through a phase as a little kid where I was crazy for PB & mayo sandwiches. The thought doesn't appeal to me one bit now so I guess it passed :shrug:

I'm pretty boring these days but my wife has unconventional tastes.

SCENE: A diner. It is breakfast.
:v: "And what would you like on your omelet?"
:sun: "Let's see, spinach..."
:v: "ok"
:sun: "feta"
:sun: "and strawberries"
:v: "... um... okay!"

Buttchocks posted:

Excuse me, this is "forbidden combinations" not "awesome combinations I need to try right now"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Discussion Quorum posted:

:v: "And what would you like on your omelet?"
:sun: "Let's see, spinach..."
:sun: "feta"
:sun: "and strawberries"
:v: "... um... okay!"
Strawberries are great with savoury food. Try a ham, cheese and strawberry sandwich.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

Smoked salmon on pizza - picked it up in Rome and now it is my favourite-

Is it put on before or after cooking? Either way I'm game.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Fartington Butts posted:

Is it put on before or after cooking? Either way I'm game.

before and slightly buried by the cheese. Just like ham.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure

McCracAttack posted:

I know this is just a different type of pickle but I've recently realized that peanut butter and kimchi is a decent pairing as well.

Buttchocks posted:

This is two slices of redneck garlic bread (you know, wonder bread, American cheese product, and garlic powder) mushed together. There's nothing bad about that statement.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Flail Snail posted:

I know this is just a different type of pickle but I've recently realized that peanut butter and kimchi is a decent pairing as well.

... oh poo poo!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

bedpan posted:

I'm loving that mayo, chicken, and canned corn topping.

note the unrefrigerated tub of grated cheese that is already halfway to melting

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
This is probably only forbidden for the health concerns but if I have extra bacon from weekend breakfasts I’ll put it on a PB&J and it “slaps” as my niece says.

E: Ooh yeah my wife made a salad with black beans and beets in it over the summer and it looked awful. I didn’t try it cause I can’t do beets but that seemed like it was probably something that should be forbidden.

Wangsucker 69 fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 27, 2020

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like to mix horse radishes with wasabi for the ultimate "kick" !!!

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
When I get Chinese takeout I like to put the hot mustard packets on my egg roll. Regardless of egg roll innards, it pairs amazingly with the greasy crispy egg roll exterior. I've tried the hot mustard on basically everything from Chinese takeout and none of them are as good as putting it on the egg roll.

Close second is if your place has a pu pu platter; it can be pretty good on the shrimp toast. The shrimp donut thing is better with duck sauce tho

I don't know anyone who ever uses the mustard packets for anything, so I have no base of reasonable use. Do people use them elsewhere for other Chinese takeout dishes???

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
make chili however you like to and then coat it with a layer of cold fresh from the fridge applesauce. thank me later.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Pickles dipped in hot fudge sundae.
Onion, peanut butter, pickle and mustard sandwiches, also good with a slice of bologna.
Scrambled eggs topped with pickle relish, ketchup, and crushed potato chips.
Micheladas made with a shot of gin and a splash of grenadine.
Mad Dog Dragon Fruit and Steel Reserve shandies.
Mustard on funnel cakes.
Sour Cream and onion chips dipped in Cool Whip.

jbone
Jan 25, 2004

bigeaux, it's showtime, chah

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I don't know anyone who ever uses the mustard packets for anything, so I have no base of reasonable use. Do people use them elsewhere for other Chinese takeout dishes???

Mix in one packet of spicy mustard per pint of wonton soup.

Mustard? In soup? Crazy. And delicious.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Over lunch I got a pot of pasta water boiling by starting it in my electric kettle. Does that count?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

McCracAttack posted:

Over lunch I got a pot of pasta water boiling by starting it in my electric kettle. Does that count?

When I was at university I knew a guy who used to cook pasta in the little plastic kettles we got in our dorm rooms.

He would then offer you tea, made with his pasta kettle.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

MH Knights posted:

Using ketchup on a salad when you run out of regular salad dressing.

I once saw a Japanese tourist at a bar where I worked in Chicago order a small Caesar salad. I placed a condiment caddy in front of him because I figured he might want pepper, and the food runner would be able to easily see who had ordered food. When the salad came out, he put salt and pepper on it. Okay. He then put a large amount of regular yellow mustard on it in a spiral pattern. I was fairly grossed out but I figured, well I suppose a dijon mustard or something would be a Thing? And this isn't too far off?

He then did a spiral of ketchup.

He ate the whole thing without complaining. To this day it haunts me, wondering whether he was a freak who enjoyed it, or whether perhaps he was so out of his element that he assumed all the condiments presented to him were considered appropriate in America for what he ordered, and was too polite to show his disgust.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I frequently add a scrambled egg to my oatmeal which also has a mashed banana and nut butter.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

jbone posted:

Mix in one packet of spicy mustard per pint of wonton soup.

Mustard? In soup? Crazy. And delicious.

Mustard soup is a really tasty Dutch dish so I'm all about this suggestion.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

eSports Chaebol posted:

I once saw a Japanese tourist at a bar where I worked in Chicago order a small Caesar salad. I placed a condiment caddy in front of him because I figured he might want pepper, and the food runner would be able to easily see who had ordered food. When the salad came out, he put salt and pepper on it. Okay. He then put a large amount of regular yellow mustard on it in a spiral pattern. I was fairly grossed out but I figured, well I suppose a dijon mustard or something would be a Thing? And this isn't too far off?

He then did a spiral of ketchup.

He ate the whole thing without complaining. To this day it haunts me, wondering whether he was a freak who enjoyed it, or whether perhaps he was so out of his element that he assumed all the condiments presented to him were considered appropriate in America for what he ordered, and was too polite to show his disgust.

I remember horrifying my in laws in Michigan putting ketchup on corn on the cob. They asked if it was a British thing. No, just a me thing .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
chocolate and farts

okay...hear me out

there's nothing better, honest. when the heat from your tongue just starts melting the cocoa fat, and that rich, decomposy smell hits you. Quite delectable. And you have the mouth feel and the hole feel. try it, and you'll be like 'have i died, and gone to heaven? this feeling...is this feeling God?'