Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Yeah, if Quickplay A) didnt take forever to get in a game (and another 5 minutes before you even run into anyone) and B) didnt always devolve into guy activating the wellspring and hiding in the 3rd floor tower at Prison, I'd play it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.
Something new I learned last night: Concertina bombs basically provide you a safe wall against bullets. Great for reviving teammates if you can get the wire between said teammate and the other team: https://clips.twitch.tv/WildStupidBeanKAPOW

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

They're also good at preventing rezzes. If you want to be a super rear end in a top hat, you light them on fire and Concertina the body.

Of course, everyone runs choke bombs now anyway.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Drone_Fragger posted:

I mean I'm a brand new player but I don't see the issue with it? It seems to be a way to get some marginally better starting gear and perks for whoever you take into Hunt, right?

That’s how I’ve felt about it. I just started up again last week but it was a good way for me to play solo and get used to the game and get some experience without pissing someone off.

I see how it could take players from the main event though.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Drone_Fragger posted:

I mean I'm a brand new player but I don't see the issue with it? It seems to be a way to get some marginally better starting gear and perks for whoever you take into Hunt, right?

It's also really good practice getting by with different sub optimal loadouts in very skewed circumstances.

It used to be even more so when the med kit wasn't a default item - not having healing entirely swung the game around to every little bit of chip damage potentially proving lethal if it broke a chunk. Also a part of what makes bee bombs and poison so much more deadly as you have less means of recovery and negation.

Treating it as a training ground for new tactics is a good way to get value out of the mode. Winning is a bonus - and you get some nice hunters out of it especially if you gathered clues (each clue gives you a free trait).

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://streamable.com/3d6zgn

:stare:

dude did some sort of 360 mouse flick with the bomb lance but was facing opposite me when it actually swung

also it completely broke my brain

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Gotta love my pubby teammates running up to an immolator and knifing it to death, setting off a billion crows while doing so, attracting another group of hunters to shoot us, agh.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Would quickplay be the best way to get a player into the game then? A buddy of mine bought the game on sale and i was getting a little worried about getting so many free hunters killed while he gets over the learning curve.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The Shame Boy posted:

Would quickplay be the best way to get a player into the game then? A buddy of mine bought the game on sale and i was getting a little worried about getting so many free hunters killed while he gets over the learning curve.

Not really? When you're new your hunters don't perma-die so you might as well throw yourself into the meatgrinder.
QP is more for fooling around (for me) and challenging yourself if you really wanna push to win and escape with toys - otherwise it's not really 'serious' and not really a good representation of the main mode - there's a huge difference between playing vs individuals and vs teams.
It might be more appealing as a 'no pressure' mode, though? Just be ware that you do still level from it, and once you hit I think 20 you start losing your hunters.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Basticle posted:

https://streamable.com/3d6zgn

:stare:

dude did some sort of 360 mouse flick with the bomb lance but was facing opposite me when it actually swung

also it completely broke my brain

wtf is that spin2win

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

wtf is that spin2win

My guess is they thought the attacker was behind him, spun around to melee back.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Gotta love my pubby teammates running up to an immolator and knifing it to death, setting off a billion crows while doing so, attracting another group of hunters to shoot us, agh.

If there's a single thing I could recommend, it would be to not play with randos and instead find a consistent group of people. You'll come to learn each other's styles over time and it will be more predictable.

So you might want to check out that discord linked earlier, and there's the official discord server that has some LFG channels: https://discord.gg/wa3AtZTBDH

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

My guess is they thought the attacker was behind him, spun around to melee back.

The bomb lance does melee damage in a roughly 180 degree arc, I can only assume he was trying to hit in every direction (or does what I do sometimes and jerked his mouse in surprise)

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

This site breaks my brain. It's somehow worse than the UI in Hunt. The same damage numbers apply though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

re: shotguns, there's also that le mat pistol that comes with a shotgun shell in the middle and an ammo-switching button that no other gun in the game uses, getting you killed in your confusion

Dual wielding turns them into a monster. Switch from short range head clickers to clicking people dead at close range. But yeah, it's quite hard to get a kill if you don't have the second shell as a backup.

Also, who said the Specter doesn't do enough damage?
https://streamable.com/8fi33e

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Nobody. My problem with it (and I suspect the other guy who brought it up) is the rate of fire increase over the rival and romero is negligble and I'd rather have that extra 2 meters or whatever of range and just do a quick reload.

(none of this applies to the bayonet or *shudder* compact variants which are just trash)

Basticle fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 2, 2021

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Isn’t the spectre basically just a Romero that you can reload a bit quicker to surprise people who push on you after firing.

Also, dual officer nagants seem pretty good, I managed to push onto a banish and 1 v 3 the team there with a mini crossbow headshot and nagants, before finally charging the last person down with a world axe while he was trying to reload the cut-down Springfield he had.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I don't know the numbers but the Spectre imo has one of the slowest reloads of any gun in the game :shrug:

IDK, far be it from me to tell anyone what to take (other than my teammates, who I will yell at constantly) since I take stupid poo poo sometimes too.

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

AbsoluteLlama posted:

The fact that you can skeet-shoot thrown explosives is an awesome little detail in this game, and I hope I never grow tired of seeing it in clips.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Basticle posted:

I don't know the numbers but the Spectre imo has one of the slowest reloads of any gun in the game :shrug:

IDK, far be it from me to tell anyone what to take (other than my teammates, who I will yell at constantly) since I take stupid poo poo sometimes too.

The spectre has the second highest range of the shotgun

romero is 15 meters
spectre is 12 meters
and rival is 10 meters

It does have a super slow reload but if you need to reload after missing 5 shots you're probably dead anyway.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

this banish at blanchett graves is my favorite in the game after that moment we all collectively realized "it's just completely out in the open?!"

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

My friend had a weird client-side bug where a meathead just disappeared so I made a slight edit to his video https://streamable.com/q97dbq

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

I bought and tried the game but refunded it after 2 hours because this engine is suboptimized doodoo. I got a 1070ti and above recommended specs yet everything is blurry and smudgy out the rear end, and the texture pop in/changes are beyond terrible even at close to moderate distances. This is all with useless options such as motion blur and depth of field turned off. Shame.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Snapes N Snapes posted:

I bought and tried the game but refunded it after 2 hours because this engine is suboptimized doodoo. I got a 1070ti and above recommended specs yet everything is blurry and smudgy out the rear end, and the texture pop in/changes are beyond terrible even at close to moderate distances. This is all with useless options such as motion blur and depth of field turned off. Shame.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Can you post a video. This is one of the best looking games ever, and yes it is demanding (can't hit 144 with my 1080ti)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hunt is more reliant on the CPU for frames, it's very unoptimized. I'm only on a 1660 Ti but still struggle to break 110 frames on lowest settings.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Texture/object polygon count pop in is just inherently part of Cryengine unfortunately, but it is pretty smear-y on lower end cards (I used to play on a 980). I found upping the sharpening and removing film grain effect on the latest drivers in the Nvidia control panel really helped out. I still choked out my 10 year old Xeon system though.

Now I run 60hz v-sync at 4k with a 3080 now with everything maxed out, and it still is kind of smeary texture when you use marksman/sniper scopes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Runs perfectly smooth for me on a GTX 1080 & looks fine except for scope pop-in and water reflections which are super weird and distracting when watching for players, the big problem is actually the absurdly long load times

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

P much the above - 1080ti running 4k 60hz

Load times are on the painful end, even off an M2 - but the game looks pretty drat fine. Mind, it used to look BETTER, but I'm pretty sure they pruned things out for the sake of optimization over the years, alas.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

So we had a couple of absolutely bonkers games tonight.

Highlight was us joking "lmao wouldn't it be great if we used serpent to steal the bounty from people through walls?", and the very next game the trio who killed the boss decided to leave the boss banished as bait, while they fought off the other two trios. We literally walked in quietly through the back, stole it through two walls and ran off while the other team was literally running in circles in the compound trying to find us, while still shooting the other team in there. Absolutely insane plays.

Then we had a couple of kind of insane games where we somehow killed 7 or 8 people between us.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Skyarb posted:

Here is the reticulated splines discord link if anyone wants to try and find other players. https://discord.gg/cVck9ykyHS

Link is expired

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Having great fun with this game. It's good!

anyway, does anyone have any kind of accuracy stats for guns? I want to try and compare some if I can.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Drone_Fragger posted:

Having great fun with this game. It's good!

anyway, does anyone have any kind of accuracy stats for guns? I want to try and compare some if I can.

ADS every gun (shotguns aside) hits exactly where you aim it. It's the recoil and bobbing and handling that throws things off.
Hipfire is a different story, but the reticle is actually a pretty good indication of your expected hit area.
Shotguns need never be ADS as it is strictly a downgrade in FOV with no benefit, conversely - always hipfire them.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Buddy had a feeling that the nearby spawn had players. We move up, keeping an eye out, nothing. They move on, I keep going. What's this? Two AFK players that get bullets to the head, and a third trying to sneak around and hide! A bullet to the head for them too. No regrets and I would be ultra salty if it happened to me.

We're not going to talk about the fact I missed one of the shots on the AFK players

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Really enjoyingh quartermaster with a full size shotgun and the winfield deadeye vandal. I'm really not great at long range with any gun but gives you absolutely amazing midrange and short range options.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

when your banish is at 50% and you’re waiting

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

p.s. I have been busy and will make an effort to update the OP some more this weekend

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Hey I bought this on sale and it's pretty fun. So far been terrorizing the <rank 10 lobbies but am looking forward to the intensity of permadeath and fighting chads soon. The zombie things sure are scary :wth: Anyway just bumping to tell people to give this game a chance.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
My buddy and I just got this on PS4 due to lack of good PC. Are there any console players around? We could use a third.

We're doing pretty well so far, just leaning the ins and outs.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

today I threw a chaos bomb that made exactly 1 gunshot, so apparently that can happen

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://streamable.com/c69kkr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

tonight I cut down a nitro express/mosin nagant obrez mace player with an $18 machete. well that's my story