Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's kind of funny that in a year with nothing but time to waste I fell so behind on what I wanted to watch, but, here we are.

(HM) - Avenue 5 - I wanted to like this show a lot, and it has occasional moments where everything crystallizes into great comedy. It just didn't happen very often, and a lot of the rest felt rough. Maybe to much Josh Gad, I dunno.

(HM) - Rick and Morty - I really enjoy this show and I hate the internet people who enjoy this show.

(HM) - Upload - It's been long enough since I watched it that I can't entirely remember why it disappointed. It's a show that has big and interesting ideas about the future and the afterlife, and it will ask questions about or using those ideas, and then it will move on and focus more on the romantic comedy it wants to be. I found that intensely frustrating. I think. If I am remembering correctly.

(HM) - Schitt's Creek - I'm only on Season 2 or so so I can't really include it but it's really impressive how it builds the characters in such a way that you start to like them all. And it's getting really loving funny so I'm excited to continue.

10. Tiger King - Sometimes you just need a documentary series about weird people. All big cat people are untrustworthy, in my opinion. gently caress Carole Baskin.

9. Harley Quinn - Just a great funny cartoon that's not about Batman except maybe once when it was about Batman. Harley's had a good year.

8. Devs - I don't think this ever fully gels, but it was a captivating mystery.

7. Lovecraft Country - The show is whip smart in the way it combines the actual horrors of racism of the 50s/60s with the mythological horrors of Cthulhu. It doesn't always stick the landing - I thought the Emmitt Till episode wasn't well-handled, and felt like it was the most "putting our sensibilities into that time period". But when it does work, like the potion episode, it is masterful.

6. The Queen's Gambit - This and my #1 were mostly watched in the same week, and let me tell you, it was a good week for watching competent people be good at something. It's just a well told tale, with the right length, and an ending that wraps everything up a far too perfectly.

5. What We Do in the Shadows - It's just a funny, enjoyable show with a great cast.

4. The Boys - I'm tired of appointment television, and most of the shows on this list I watched after they were fully released. The Boys was a weekly watch. It has taken an overly edgy comic and made it a much more interesting and fun experience. Plus, gently caress Nazis.

3. The Mandalorian - I think the Star Wars universe is filled with potentially interesting stories and characters, but I am just so loving tired of the Skywalker and Palpatine families. Mando is at its best when it sticks to the smaller stuff, just one bounty hunter doing a job for some credits to get to the next job. I hope the series sticks closer to that than the in-universe cameos that filled season 2.

2. Taskmaster - It's at its best when the semi-famous-but-not-to-me contestants take whatever challenge they are given, and approach it form a completely different direction. Easily one of the best "how would I handle this" shows.

1. Ted Lasso - Every single critical source I trust loved this show. Friends recommended it. Still, I resisted. A show about football and soccer? No thanks. Jason Sudeikis? Really, no thanks. Finally after enough pressure I caved and gave it a shot, and goddamn. It is a perfect show for 2020, just a delightfully warm sitcom about a genuinely good guy being good to people. Not in an overly saccharine way, just, nice. Almost every single character is fleshed out and developed, and likable. It just left me feeling good, which has been rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU