Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Honorable Mentions:
Real Time with Bill Maher - Not everyone's cup of tea but consistently makes me laugh. For better or worse Maher is that guy that "isn't afraid to go there" and it results in some bad misses but some glorious hits.

The Amazing Race - Amazing production values, always some memorable teams, and a show that manages to teach its audience a little about the world which is never a bad thing.

10. Tiger King
Early 2020 was a strange, strange time. Tiger King was a perfect fit and a great distraction while we all came to terms with what was happening with coronavirus. Utterly compelling, tragic, and weird.

9. Nature
The bigger docuseries like Our Planet reignited my interest in nature documentaries and Nature is still putting out fantastic stuff on PBS.

8. Westworld
A show that is so close to being brilliant but always manages to stumble. It thinks it has something important to say but it can't quite get it out. Still, it's gorgeous and has some good acting and even if it can't always match its own ambition, it is always entertaining.

7. Modern Family
A show that suffered from an unfair backlash for "winning too many awards" in my opinion. Did it deserve ALL the Emmy's it won? Probably not, but it drat sure earned a bunch of them. Fantastic ensemble cast, smart writing and a bunch of heart. The final season started in 2019 but wrapped up in April 2020. January saw the episode The Prescott which a real standout and kind of a victory lap before the show settled in to saying goodbye for the last time.

6. The Last Dance
This brought back a ton of memories and the footage was remarkable. Although never a huge NBA fan I remember watching this Bulls team and realizing I was watching something special. Come for the cool basketball stuff, stay for a compelling case study on the psychology of greatness.

5. Hawaii Five O
After 10 seasons, McGarrett and the gang hung up their badges and surfed off into the sunset. This show was never cutting edge but always stayed on my list because it was an excuse to look at HD footage of Oahu, had a very likable cast, and it was one of the few shows that my parents and I both watched and could talk about. Oh yeah, and they had a steady stream of appearances from another Oahu show, LOST. It was a good run.

4. Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
Wrapped up in a hilarious comedy show is an ambitious bit of journalism. Oliver and his staff excel at picking up stories that need to be told and making them entertaining.

3. The Mandolorian
Well paced, gorgeous and Star Wars! This show was a lot of fun and man, did the finale hit me right in the nostalgia feels.

2. Queen's Gambit
I just started watching this show 2 days ago and felt compelled to not only include this show, but put at it #2. The story is utterly compelling, acting is top notch, and my lord, is it pretty. That night swimming in the rain in Mexico City was just gorgeous on top of gorgeous. I expected the story and acting to be very good, I wasn't expecting such a visual treat.

1. Better Call Saul
Every once and a while I find a show like Succession (usually i'm late to the party) and think wow, this might be the best show on TV. Then I watch BCS and remember instantly that no, sorry other prestige drama, you haven't taken the title away from the champ. I might like other shows more from time to time (GoT comes to mind) but for me there is no doubt that BCS is a better show. Writing, acting, shooting, this show is always flawlessly put together. Obligatory give Rhea Seehorn and Emmy. Season 5 served up one ace after another.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

This has always fascinated me. Did they just get them on the show for the LOLs or does the entire LOST cast now just live in Hawaii?

Mix of both. Several cast members ended up buying homes there including Terry O'Quinn, Jorge Garcia, Josh Holloway and Evangeline Lily. There might be more but those I know for sure. Five-Oh never had trouble getting guest stars because a lot of people were cool with getting paid to film there. In the later seasons, Michael Imperioli from The Sopranos had a recurring minor role.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 15, 2021

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I can, but at the same time can't believe Westworld is so far down.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This is the best. Thanks so much for putting it together and everyone who voted!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This thread inspired me to watch Ted Lasso and 5 minutes into the first episode I was all in. Who would've thought a show based on a commercial for NBC sports could be this much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Okay, I get it now. The fuss about Ted Lasso. Thank you TVIV Poll!