Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

stickied :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I watched barely any television in English this year! And the 2020 shows I did either ended in January and barely count (and wouldn't have made my list anyway), I still need to finish, or are Westworld (which wouldn't make my list even if I couldn't crack 10 shows).

So this will be an odd list full of shows probably only I watched, and one show everyone needs to fuckin' watch asap tbh.

Anyway enjoy my list, in which the majority of things I talk about will be understood by barely anybody!

10. Canada's Drag Race
The debut season of my dear country's version of Drag Race felt cheap and scrappy as gently caress, and reminded me a lot of what I loved about when the flagship show was also young. Probably not as good as UK was last year, but still edged forward over the mainline seasons for me this year.

9. Record of Youth
There isn't much special about this kdrama, it's pretty much what you would expect from the genre, but Park So-dam is amazing as always and this poo poo is cozy as gently caress. It's been a good year for her tbh as she is also one of the main cast for the next show on my list!

8. Emotional Camping
I'm not entirely through this yet, and there's a couple episodes left yet to air, but this spiritual successor to Fin.K.L.'s Camping Club from last year is a loving blast. The cast is a great mix, and honestly you can't go wrong with a variety show that has Park Na-rae helping guide it.

7. I Live Alone
This show loving owns. 2020 hasn't been as fire as seasons past, with many of the best panelists either gone or far too busy to be on the show every week, but it still delivers every time and I always look forward to watching it while chilling on the weekend.

6. Good Girl: Who Robbed the Station
One of the best music competition shows I've seen since last year's Queendom. Mnet gathered a group of women involved in the rap and hip-hop scene from underground artists to idols and made them work together on different collaborations every week, competing against themed teams comprised of other artists not in the main cast. It was a lot of fun watching the different personalities mix and match, as well as different performance styles. Some good rear end music came out of this show.

5. Hyena
A funny, at times tense, sexy lawyer drama starring badass queen Kim Hye-soo and Ju Ji-hoon of Kingdom! I really don't need to say much more than that, this show was a blast to watch, and the chemistry between the leads is honestly ridiculous.

4. Hangout With Yoo
This show started off as 'What does Yoo Jae-suk do on his days off?' to him doing a bunch of weird rear end projects of an ever growing scale, and the last two heavily involved Lee Hyori. You can't go wrong with a Hyori/Jae-suk combo! The two main arcs of this involved forming temporary music groups, the first one consisting of Rain, Hyori and Jae-suk himself, and the second bringing together four generations of badass women in Uhm Jung Hwa, Hyori, Jessi and Hwasa. It loving owned fam.

3. Private Lives
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this quite as much as I did, I mostly watched it because Seohyun (who has been stepping her drat game up this year) from Girls' Generation was one of the leads. This show is just a super fun romp about con men conning con men and finding themselves wrapped up in things much bigger than their own schemes. It doesn't stray too far from the kdrama formula, but has a lot of fun with the typical format and cliches you'd find in them, and as a show from one of the cable networks it's a bit more mature than a lot of the typical fare. The majority of the leads are pretty drat incredible in their roles, knowing when to lean into the camp or the more serious drama of it all. They know exactly what kind of show they're in and are clearly having a great time doing it.

2. Hello Dracula
This two part mini series from JTBC (the same network as Private Lives) tells three separate but interconnecting stories about people overcoming a major problem in their lives. All three of them are compelling and well done, imho, but the main draw here is the story of An-na (Seohyun again! she's becoming quite the actress tbh) and her mother, Mi-young. An-na just broke up with her girlfriend of 8 years and has nobody to turn to, as her relationship with her mother has been strained ever since she came out to her years ago. Their story focuses on the two coming to terms with that truth and whether Mi-young can learn to even acknowledge something she's known since her daughter was young. It's a great little story and a touching, mature piece of representation very rarely seen on Korean television.

1. Extracurricular
loving watch Extracurricular. If you passed it by thinking it would be full of the trappings of a typical kdrama, do not let that stop you as this show shares far more DNA with western television, and if anything pokes some fun at the usual cliches of South Korean shows. It's an amazing season of television and one of the best things I've watched in years. Oh man and those performances?? Whew lad.

Extracurricular, Private Lives, Hyena and Record of Youth are all available on Netflix. I Live Alone (as Home Alone) and Hangout with Yoo (as How Do You Play?) are both available on KOCOWA, or Rakuten Viki with the KOCOWA add-on, and Emotional Camping (as Camping Vibes) is available on Viki. Good Girl and Hello Dracula are unfortunately not available in English in an official capacity.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 1, 2021

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

VinylonUnderground posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but any Kdrama that you'd recommend for a 3 year old? We've been doing a lot of Pororo/Tayo/Tittipo/Pinkfong/etc. My access to that world (beyond my daughter) is hardcore Korean Protestants, so I'm loathe so seek out their advice.

Hmm, unfortunately I'm not super well versed in Korean programming for kids. I think Pororo may be available on Netflix tho?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Everyone who can't make 10 shows should just but Extracurricular in all of their empty slots, hth

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

MrBuddyLee posted:

10. Extracurricular
Great acting by the young leads, fun plot twists, and served as a solid intro (along with Running Man/The Genius) to Korean TV. Open to many more suggestions! Might inspire your own kids to bankroll their way through college.

Watch Crime Scene if you like The Genius and haven't yet. I would personally recommend season 2 b/c it has the best cast, you should watch all three.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel a strange sense of satisfaction just seeing all these Korean networks even on the list of stuff that didn't make it.

We almost got Extracurricular on the list!!!

Go watch Extracurricular!!!!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Thanks again, Looten! I'll be keeping the thread stickied for a couple more weeks. :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Looten Plunder posted:

2021 Plans

I've got big plans this year. In addition to next years poll going ahead as normal I want to try something else as well. Inspired by all the "best of the decade" lists last year, I want to try a Best TV shows of the TVIV era as next year will mark the 10th Annual Poll.

I'm thinking of launching this and accepting ballots earlier in the year (about July) in an attempt to get solid uptake and because i'll be extending the nominations out to 20 instead of 10 (10 will be mandatory, anything up to 20 will be optional).

The results of this can be shared in December and the results of the 2020 poll will be done in January as normal.

I dig it!