Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Another year where most of the shows I watch are reality TV and/or garbage. The Boys had a few too many pointless B plots. I'll Be Gone in the Dark stood out among the many poorly paced 2020 docuseries. The Circle made me watch every single other international version. Survivor's Winners at War season was mid. Westworld... actually sucked this season, and this is coming from someone who defends S2.

10. CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA
“Happy? Often. But content? Always.”
This didn’t initially make my top ten until the fourth-wall-breaking episode where Sabrina travels to an alternate reality to kill the original show’s Salem because he’s an eldritch monster. So stupid it circles right back to being enjoyable. Netflix has banished it to the void so it wasn’t able to wrap many plot threads up but the ending was acceptable enough. Still hoping Michelle Gomez wins an award for her role(s).

9. THE CROWN
“It’s wicked, and it’s cold hearted, and it’s cruel. And it’s entirely in keeping with the ruthlessness I myself have experienced in this family.”
I started watching during season three because I love Olivia Colman but season four made her a tertiary character to a riveting performance by Gillian Anderson playing Margaret Thatcher and meandering Princess Diana quarrels that ultimately went nowhere. It’s a shame that this was the last season for Olivia, Helena Bonham Carter, and the rest of the cast so I’m unsure if I’ll continue watching season five.

8. SEARCH PARTY
“You’re all psychopaths! Just manipulating and killing people all the livelong day!”
This show has the weirdest release schedule. S1 aired in 2016. S2 aired in 2017. S3 was dropped all at once last June. S4 airs next week. So I knew this show existed but didn’t binge until HBO Max bought the series. And binge I did. It’s rare that I call a comedy “wild,” “unpredictable,” and “adrenaline-inducing” but here we are.

7. LITTLE FIRES EVERYWHERE
“You didn’t make good choices. You had good choices. Options that being rich, and white, and entitled gave you.”
This is another adaption of a book I’ve never read. Honestly I came for Reese Witherspoon and stayed for Reese Witherspoon. This show did what Big Little Lies didn’t and gave her a character that she can really chew scenery with. Kerry Washington is also great as a foil and provides an equally soapy performance. I’m overall impressed that this show managed to address so many social issues and not be horribly offensive.

6. CANADA'S DRAG RACE
“Priyanka, the only thing you’re loving is stupid.”
The Drag Race™©® franchise aired 4 renditions last year and this is the one making the cut. The first season of CDR was refreshing because it didn’t have notorious fracker RuPaul hosting. I also expected a bootleg production but they had a budget this time around! This season also can’t be praised without mentioning the incredibly talented cast all worthy of an all-star season. I got a kick out of combining Drag Race challenges with Canadiana and it was the most fun show I watched this year.

5. NORMAL PEOPLE
"I guess we just misunderstood each other."
Another! Book! Adaption! This is one of those shows that is only a couple of episodes but spans a number of years. Normal People beats Riverdale this year for the oldest looking actors playing high school kids. I HATED the high school chapter because I couldn’t suspend disbelief enough but once it advanced to later stages in life it picked up (as much as a show about people wistfully staring out windows can be). I love me a romance story on a collision course with a heartbreaking ending and I just couldn’t stop thinking about it afterwards. If y’all have heard of this it’s probably because of the sex scenes.

4. THE MANDALORIAN
“He means more to me than you will ever know.”
I’m not a Star Wars person. :can: I don’t like either The Last Jedi or Rise of Skywalker. I don’t know why I watched this beyond the insatiable desire to consume every piece of pop culture (or maybe it was Baby Yoda) but I’m glad I did. The Mandalorian is good because it has adventurous world building and believable progression. The only thing I’m worried about now is the inclusion of so many extended universe characters and plot points that’ll just have a very casual fan like me feel like I’m falling behind. Oh and fire Gina Carano.

3. LOVECRAFT COUNTRY
“We’ve both done monstrous things, but that does not make us monsters. We could be the people we see in each other. We just have to choose to be.”
This is a show that gets its merit from the performances rather than the plot. I really expected some more interesting Lovecraftian lore and monsters than what we got. Ultimately what succeeded most were the monster-of-the-week type stories and Meet Me in Daegu may be my favourite episode of TV this year. Shoutout to Jonathan Majors, Jurnee Smollett, Aunjanue Ellis, Wunmi Mosaku, Jamie Chung and Courtney B. Vance for carrying this.

2. SCHITT'S CREEK
“Were the crows nice? My uncle had a pair that kept trying to get me to take my bra off.”
There’s a reason why this swept the entire comedy category at the Emmys. Everything about Schitt’s Creek was loveable down to the final minute. Catherine O’Hara really fastforwarded herself into gay icon status.

1. INSECURE
“The last couple months it just feels like, we've been... off.”
I think Insecure is currently the best and most underrated show on television. The cinematography and lighting are gorgeous. The music immerses you in the Los Angeles that these actors inhabit. Insecure’s done relationship fallouts before but this season focused on the friendship breakup between the two leads and it hurt. Not many shows can illicit the gambit of emotional responses from me but this one did in every episode. Now can we finally give Kelli a storyline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Thanks for hosting this Looten Plunder. I really need to watch WWDITS.