Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Kilauea erupted pretty much nonstop (And generally fairly quietly) from 1983 to 2018. In 2018 it stepped up its game, threw out a lot of lava, buried a bunch of houses then abruptly shut down. During this time the crater at the summit collapsed, forming a new crater 1500 feet deep, and since that time a small lake began forming at the bottom.

Tonight, the volcano decided to become active again, and belched out lava that vaporized the lake and is currently forming a new lake of lava in the crater.

The view down into the crater at 12:24 AM local time:

Link to the current view:

Thermal Cam:
https://www.usgs.gov/media/webcams/f1cam-k-lauea-caldera-thermal-hvo-observation-tower

Link to all the cams available at Kilauea:
https://www.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/webcams

And a link to USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory website:
https://www.usgs.gov/observatories/hawaiian-volcano-observatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Gene were you around to see it's formation

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
Hell yeah. Let's find someone with a "brain cloud" to throw in there.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Jose posted:

Gene were you around to see it's formation

Yes. Yes I was. And the formation of the earlier islands as well...

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
You can't fool me that's where they filmed the fight in Revenge of the Sith.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I knew splicer would start posting again once he figured out windows 98

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

If you need to sacrifice a virgin I will gladly volunteer

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm gonna erupt.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Genesplicer posted:

Kilauea erupted pretty much nonstop (And generally fairly quietly) from 1983 to 2018. In 2018 it stepped up its game, threw out a lot of lava, buried a bunch of houses then abruptly shut down.
I don't want to victim blame, but maybe don't buy a house next to an erupting volcano.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone finds good live cams please post them.

Sunswipe posted:

don't buy a house next to an erupting volcano.

Thats the entire of Hawaii, isnt it?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

I don't want to victim blame, but maybe don't buy a house next to an erupting volcano.

https://www.propertycasualty360.com/2018/10/03/volcano-sparks-eruption-of-lawsuits-on-the-big-island/?slreturn=20201121071332

Deep in my heart I knew there was an insurance story to be found here.

quote:

In May of 2018, the Kilauea volcano erupted sending molten lava soaring over 60 meters into the air. Over time, the lava spread to cover over 12 square miles on Hawaii’s Big Island. Over 1,000 homes and other buildings were destroyed by the flowing lava. Hundreds of earthquakes and tremors rocked the island during the volcano’s eruption.

Soon after the initial eruption, Hawaii’s insurance commissioner made it clear that in Hawaii, if a home catches fire and is destroyed due to exposure to molten rock it is considered fire damage, which is covered under a typical homeowners insurance policy.
Homeowners policies don’t cover everything

That being said, due to the increased risk of volcano or lava flow damage on the island, insurance policies are written so there is generally no coverage provided for damage caused by a volcano or by lava flow.

Losses caused by an earthquake, land shock waves or tremors are also not covered under a homeowners policy, so if the home damage is caused by an earthquake or tremor, there will not typically be coverage. If debris can be traced to a covered peril, debris removal coverage will provide funds to dispose of damaged property and toxic volcanic ash. If an insurer is willing to take on this risk, the insured may have the opportunity to purchase a policy that covers lava flow.

Because of the great risk involved in living in some areas in Hawaii, those areas have been designated as lava flow hazard zones. Zones are based on the location of eruptive events, historic lava coverage and topography. Zone 1 and zone 2 represent a particularly high risk. As a result, very few insurers will take on that risk by insuring homeowners in those areas. Lloyd’s of London, the world’s largest insurer, was one of the few options available to homeowners in lava zones 1 and 2. Although Lloyd’s is not licensed by Hawaii to sell insurance in the state, Lloyd’s is a “non-admitted” carrier in Hawaii, meaning that Lloyd’s can write coverage through an excess and surplus lines broker who is licensed in Hawaii.

Being a non-admitted carrier also means that the Hawaii Department of Insurance has less power to regulate the insurer than it has over Hawaii admitted insurers. Non-admitted insurers also do not have guaranty fund protection that helps to pay claims if an insurer becomes insolvent. Some of the home insurance policies that were issued within lava zones 1 and 2 included “lava exclusion” language, sparking huge concern among insureds after the volcano began erupting.
Avoiding bad faith claims

In a recent development, some insureds on the Big Island are suing the companies that provide their homeowners insurance for payment they have not yet received for their losses on their insurance policies, and for bad faith. In some instances, insureds have had to wait up to 60 days just to get a response from their insurer, in some cases denying coverage.

In one instance, Lloyds of London is the insurer being sued. Several residents claim they have lava coverage from Lloyds, but the company has refused to pay for loss of use or for contents, even if both were listed as covered under the applicable policy.
This is an area of contention, as insurance coverage is very specific. Coverage can be taken away in one provision and restored in the next. Although loss of use and contents may be covered property, they may become not covered if the peril that causes the loss is excluded from coverage.

The attorneys who are representing the insureds want to put some pressure on insurance companies to do the right thing for their insureds who have paid millions of dollars in premium payments, and are not receiving the statutorily appropriate response from their insurers. Hawaii Revised Statute §431:13-103 provides definitions of unfair or deceptive acts or practices, and dictates that an insurer licensed in Hawaii must provide the insurance department with adequate response to inquiry, and reply to all pertinent written communications from the claimant within 15 working days.

The insurer has a duty to advise the claimant of the acceptance or denial of their claim within 30 days of the affirmation of liability, and if the claim is being denied, the insurer must promptly provide a reasonable explanation of the basis in the policy on which the claim is being denied, or of the compromise of a settlement. As mentioned earlier though, Lloyd’s is not an admitted insurer in the state of Hawaii, so they may not be held to the same statutory standard as admitted insurers.

Insureds are encouraged to speak with their insurers as soon as possible to see what coverage is available to them, and to ensure that any high risk peril is covered under their policy. Many of the individuals living in lava zones 1 and 2 know of the risk of lava damage, and assume the risk of living in such an area with inadequate insurance coverage.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Genesplicer, did you happen to find a tiki idol and Vincent Price in a cave somewhere?

Volcanoes are loving cool. I remember researching and drawing diagrams of volcanoes in elementary school and writing reports on them. Mt. St. Helens was only a couple of years back at the time (I was a baby when it actually happened) which spurred my interest.

Kilauea is cool.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Cameras captured the scene inside the volcano

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm glad of it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well we couldn't have 2020 end without a volcano as well

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hell yeah

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Volcanos are the Earth trying too hard. It's embarrassing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Boring! Let me know when Yellowstone is causing poo poo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

(it's actually fascinating!)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pick posted:

Well we couldn't have 2020 end without a volcano as well

What's left? Aliens? 2021 is gonna be a long boring slowly fading static of a year.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Outrail posted:

What's left? Aliens? 2021 is gonna be a long boring slowly fading static of a year.

Don't worry, 2021 will have a staggering economic collapse the likes of which we haven't seen for 90 years. Things are sure to remain interesting for the next year at least.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
looks like a big fuckin hot hole in the earth

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Kilauea is erupting again.

So's my dick.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

20 Blunts posted:

looks like a big fuckin hot hole in the earth

I was going to post a hot earth response but google tells me we've been sexualizing this planet for a while now.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Earth poppin its zits again

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

People should be throwing insurance company CEOs into the volcano.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

John_A_Tallon posted:

don't throw garbage into volcanoes

it upsets the gods

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

John_A_Tallon posted:

If I was all hangry and lashing out and someone threw dogshit in my mouth I'd probably lay waste to the entire island.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Outrail posted:

If I was all hangry and lashing out and someone threw dogshit in my mouth I'd probably lay waste to the entire island.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

John_A_Tallon posted:

Insurance companies are fantastic. Creating insurance for things and then not providing coverage for the stuff most likely to happen to the things you're insuring is some high class poo poo.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Here's a 24 hour timelapse of the Infrared camera. Impressive...

https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/last-24-hours-f1cam

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Genesplicer posted:

Here's a 24 hour timelapse of the Infrared camera. Impressive...

https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/last-24-hours-f1cam

no ring 1/5

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
There is a good yo mama joke in here somewhere but it's just not coming to me

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
My tip is bulging and I’m gonna spew

Also the volcano is pretty cool

Also Jose had a good joke

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Derpies posted:

There is a good yo mama joke in here somewhere but it's just not coming to me

Just like your wife!

BOOM GOTTEM HAHA

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Just like your wife!

BOOM GOTTEM HAHA

Owned

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Do you think if you farted into the volcano it would light the fart

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Halloween Liker posted:

Do you think if you farted into the volcano it would light the fart

Technically, yes. However, there is a trade-off. To get the appropriate situation, you'd have to plant your bare rear end no more than 6 inches from the flow. And the flowing lava is capable of delivering burns at 5 or 6 feet. So, if you are willing to turn your rear end into 7 pounds of medium-rare chuck roast, yes, you can light a fart.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Genesplicer posted:

Technically, yes. However, there is a trade-off. To get the appropriate situation, you'd have to plant your bare rear end no more than 6 inches from the flow. And the flowing lava is capable of delivering burns at 5 or 6 feet. So, if you are willing to turn your rear end into 7 pounds of medium-rare chuck roast, yes, you can light a fart.

worth it imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I hope it releases a cloud of consonants