Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lomarph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

japan has a really bad problem with 90 year old grandmas driving into storefronts and this is literally their solution. you can buy your mom a Senior Car now that will do brake if you go above half throttle.

i truly wonder how much of this is legit "pedal confusion" and how much is someone whose reasoning and impulse control has declined a bit wondering what it would be like to do it before they kick the bucket

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

japan has a really bad problem with 90 year old grandmas driving into storefronts and this is literally their solution. you can buy your mom a Senior Car now that will do brake if you go above half throttle.

this rules

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

all "normal" cars should work like that tbqh. lots of accidents are caused by people flooring the gas by mistake.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

there are plenty of traffic situations in which you need on demand access to a lot of power to prevent an accident

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

President Beep posted:

one of the wheels will be lower than the others so that when you push down on one corner the other pops up.

this is not a problem if you use Apple Roads Pro™, which are designed with only left turns, the curvature perfectly matching the carefully optimized asymmetry of the Apple Lomarf Car™ suspension for a superior driving experience. We think you're going to love it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
will there be right-turning roads in glorious nippon?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
toyota designed group b rally car based from an mr2 which never saw the field

https://petrolicious.com/articles/the-mr2-based-toyota-222d-was-the-group-s-weapon-that-never-was

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

DuckConference posted:

i truly wonder how much of this is legit "pedal confusion" and how much is someone whose reasoning and impulse control has declined a bit wondering what it would be like to do it before they kick the bucket

the Toyota Unintended Acceleration investigation revealed the software for the throttle control module was 20,000 global variables and no watchdog implementation so possibly all 3

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the toyota software was buggy yes but the loop also would reset when the brake pedal was released. in order to get stuck in unintended acceleration mode, the driver had to floor the brakes and keep them held through the entire event. one pump and it would be over (in fact that's what your girlfriend was complaining about the other night). the people who had these horror experiences pushed the pedal to the floor and didn't let go, didn't try to put the vehicle in neutral, and didn't think to shut the engine off. so you can at least partially blame brain lockup.

also not the same incident but apparently something like half of all cases of irreproducible "brake failure" turn out to be either floor mats bunching up or women kicking off their shoes and having them roll under the pedal.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Jimmy Carter posted:

the Toyota Unintended Acceleration investigation revealed the software for the throttle control module was 20,000 global variables and no watchdog implementation so possibly all 3

code:
ELSE IF Throttle_Position > const_55_prcnt && Throttle_Position < const_56_prcnt && !brake_engaged
    THEN rev_engine(const_55_prcnt)
ELSE IF Throttle_Position > const_56_prcnt %% Throttle_Position < const_57_prcnt && brake_engaged
    THEN rev_engine(const_56_prcnt)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s what a compiler generates when you make a
loop

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
seriously, how the hell do you have twenty thousand variables?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

the toyota software was buggy yes but the loop also would reset when the brake pedal was released. in order to get stuck in unintended acceleration mode, the driver had to floor the brakes and keep them held through the entire event. one pump and it would be over (in fact that's what your girlfriend was complaining about the other night). the people who had these horror experiences pushed the pedal to the floor and didn't let go, didn't try to put the vehicle in neutral, and didn't think to shut the engine off. so you can at least partially blame brain lockup.

also not the same incident but apparently something like half of all cases of irreproducible "brake failure" turn out to be either floor mats bunching up or women kicking off their shoes and having them roll under the pedal.

"buggy"

echinopsis posted:

that’s what a compiler generates when you make a
loop

sort of, but only if you enable loop unrolling. on modern CPUs it doesn't provide as much of a benefit as it used to, and compact code is more cache friendly.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

seriously, how the hell do you have twenty thousand variables?

all variables declared in global scope would be the only way i could see it happening

but that sounds exactly like the kind of poo poo real engineers allowed to do software development do, so... 🤷‍♂️

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
here's the less redacted first copy of the nasa report on the ecu:

http://web.archive.org/web/20110520052900/http://www.nhtsa.gov/UA

i've never heard of the greenhill c compiler...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
haha oh man

code:
#define x(y) x[y]
#define x(y) x_tmp(y)
#define x_tmp(y) x##y()

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
lomarf!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
love the use of hungarian notation and poo poo, giving variable names like:

the actual NASA report posted:

u2s_vpdccstdrnlrn_gnslpavcstdrnl_tbl

edit: no, i am not making that up

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

haha oh man

code:
#define x(y) x[y]
#define x(y) x_tmp(y)
#define x_tmp(y) x##y()

I don't think that's from the actual source code, but just an example of the kind of stuff NASA/JPL's code verification tools explicitly check for.

One fun thing is that many functions were hundreds of lines long, with the largest being 740 loc excluding empty lines and comments.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

there are plenty of traffic situations in which you need on demand access to a lot of power to prevent an accident

people say this a lot but i can't really think of any that are safer than just braking

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

if we can speed limit scoots in cities we should speed limit cars imo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my stepdads beer posted:

people say this a lot but i can't really think of any that are safer than just braking

the bridge is collapsing behind you and you need to speed up to get off the bridge before the collapsing part catches up to you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fart simpson posted:

the bridge is collapsing behind you and you need to speed up to get off the bridge before the collapsing part catches up to you

you're in a michael bay movie and you're already doomed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not me, I'm the main character

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

my stepdads beer posted:

you are driving across train tracks and the car in front of you stops at the second barrier because he’s a moron, leaving you in the path of an oncoming train. you can push him out of the way if you floor it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

you are driving across train tracks and the car in front of you stops at the second barrier because he’s a moron, leaving you in the path of an oncoming train. you can push him out of the way if you floor it.
serves you right for tailgating!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Surely a better option in that case is just to go around the other car anyway? drive on to the shoulder or up on the sidewalk or whatever

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

infernal machines posted:

you're in a michael bay movie and you're already doomed

i was thinking that’s just driving in america but w/e

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

drive [...] up on the sidewalk

:redass:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In many parts of the world this is perfectly normal.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah, in butt land.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

where you are the leader.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

Surely a better option in that case is just to go around the other car anyway? drive on to the shoulder or up on the sidewalk or whatever

on the sidewalk is a group of children walking to school. but in my car are 2000 doses of COVID vaccine.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

my stepdads beer posted:

highway merge when the guy in the oncoming lane is an rear end in a top hat or not paying attention

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

one time a guy ran a red light way too late and my mom was first coming from the other direction. normally shes a terrible and careless driver but something in her brain snapped and she floored it and swung around him

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
hell, just speeding up to pass somebody on the highway is a common example of needing an extra burst of speed for safety

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

install war emergency power in cars, imo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

President Beep posted:

install war emergency power in cars, imo.

it's already there for most people, called "the upper half of the tachometer"

people are so scared to use full throttle that cars are mapped now with like a logarithmic scale on the gas pedal where 80% of the throttle is in the first third of the travel. cause otherwise they tiptoe it and complain that the car doesn't have any power.

idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
hot take, i dont think they're gonna release a fuckin car