Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

generally yes, but with lithium cells it's more about temperature. high charging rates result in high temperatures and that's what kills the cell.

if you could like pump cryogenic fluid through the pack while it was charging and keep the whole thing cool, fast-charging would cause much less damage. cars with liquid cooled batteries do this but they can't remove all the heat fast enough and from deep enough to fully counteract it.

one way to think of it is that charging the entire battery in 30 minutes requires the same current flow as driving fast and hard enough to deplete the entire battery in 30 minutes. it would be kind of ridiculous to size the radiator and cooling system for that scenario since you wouldn't use it 99% of the time. that's why supercharging gradually kills the tesla batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Maybe the fast charger could also have a hookup to a bigger compressor+condenser, so you can have a bigass cooling setup when charging the battery but not have to haul it around all the time while driving.

Would have to be using a cheap and essentially disposable refrigerant though

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

PIZZA.BAT posted:

apparently the energy necessary to keep them at temperature is made up for their better efficiency compared to lithium. iirc the big obstacle now is making the ceramics necessary to house the batteries but it's mostly a scale thing, not an engineering or science problem
yeah iirc it's scaling more than proving the general tech behind it. should be ace for grid storage. I've only just started reading about it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

echinopsis posted:

im sure 500c liquid metal wont be bad to get on your skin or in your eyes

idk. worked for wolverine.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sagebrush posted:

generally yes, but with lithium cells it's more about temperature. high charging rates result in high temperatures and that's what kills the cell.

if you could like pump cryogenic fluid through the pack while it was charging and keep the whole thing cool, fast-charging would cause much less damage. cars with liquid cooled batteries do this but they can't remove all the heat fast enough and from deep enough to fully counteract it.

one way to think of it is that charging the entire battery in 30 minutes requires the same current flow as driving fast and hard enough to deplete the entire battery in 30 minutes. it would be kind of ridiculous to size the radiator and cooling system for that scenario since you wouldn't use it 99% of the time. that's why supercharging gradually kills the tesla batteries.

i was watching one of the insane rally mach e videos where the engineers were walking through everything under the hood and thinking to myself, ‘ok yeah this is all awesome but that much power is gonna generate a shitload of heat how the gently caress are they gonna cool that?’

then they got it ready to drive and dumped giant bags of dry ice into the radiator. it was badass and the cloud of CO2 vapor was the perfect cherry on top for the cyberpunk aesthetic

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

found it- not a mach e

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUwRnBhtevE

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
that is neat and all but the words “hoon” and “hoonigan” make me angry for some reason

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

President Beep posted:

that is neat and all but the words “hoon” and “hoonigan” make me angry for some reason

goonigan

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

goonigan’s aisle (it’s where the mountain dew is)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

President Beep posted:

same but "beep" and "president beep"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

President Beep posted:

goonigan’s aisle (it’s where the mountain dew is)

patrick mcgoonigan in the poster

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

same but "beep" and "president beep"

:negative:

Agile Vector posted:

patrick mcgoonigan in the poster

hell yeah. i loved the prisoner.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol I can't get over how much it sounds like a regular electric model racer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftjWHQO3NME&t=107s

(running the original 80s Tamiya BIGWIG that I owned as a kid)

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
-----DO NOT STEAL THIS IDEA------

I've always wondered, why can't they make the batteries in electric cars modular so that instead of wasting an hour charging them at some service station, they just swap them out for you like they do for propane tanks at the hardware store. Obviously they're big and heavy but I'm imagining some kind of bay you drive into where they use a forklift or something to pull them out and slot the new ones in.

What am I missing?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

same reason we don't have modular batteries in laptops anymore. there's a heavy size and reliability cost that comes with making it swappable

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cheque_some posted:

I've always wondered, why can't they make the batteries in electric cars modular so that instead of wasting an hour charging them at some service station, they just swap them out for you like they do for propane tanks at the hardware store. Obviously they're big and heavy but I'm imagining some kind of bay you drive into where they use a forklift or something to pull them out and slot the new ones in.

What am I missing?

size and weight penalties, impossible to standardize across manufacturers, logistically insane

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

wow. look at these haters.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

cheque_some posted:

What am I missing?
tesla briefly did this: https://youtu.be/H5V0vL3nnHY

i cant remember why they gave up on it but probably for the above reasons

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fuckin cool but god it sounds horrible

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

fuckin cool but god it sounds horrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEzXrDL4F3k

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The genuine look of terror when the presenter goes for a ride in it :discourse:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Word on the street is that the thing that tends to impress/terrify people the most when they’re a passenger in a rally car is the braking

presumably how late they leave it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

there was exactly one location that was open for 18 months and shut down in 2016. it seems it was too labor-intensive to be worth it, plus there was some tech issues in that the cars didn't know the "new" battery packs were different, so if they were degraded, it could potentially lead to a dangerous overcharge situation

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i don't mind swapping bbq propane tanks with whatever pos is at the store but i'm not sure i trust whatever battery tesla has lying around at the charger station in the mcdonalds parking lot

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cheque_some posted:

What am I missing?

a company called Better Place tried this in a few small countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd0WPw3p2MQ

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
how much less mileage does a BEV get in cold weather? I can get >60mpg in my Prius most of the year without paying attention but once it drops below 45F I have trouble staying above 49mpg even if I’m actively trying to drive less wastefully, seems like it’d translate to a pretty significant dropoff in range for a BEV

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i don't mind swapping bbq propane tanks with whatever pos is at the store but i'm not sure i trust whatever battery tesla has lying around at the charger station in the mcdonalds parking lot

yeah this would be my biggest concern with battery swapping. at least I can see if the propane tank is hosed up or old or whatever. also I don’t really trust Tesla’s safety or quality control

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

so many people would drive right into the pit

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

thanks now I feel better knowing it was at least tried and failed

The Management posted:

cool. this video led me to another one about "Why Hasn't Battery Swapping For Electric Cars Caught On" and one of the other things mentioned in addition to what you all said was that no one wants to standardize on battery sizes when the field is still evolving so rapidly.

apparently it's done in some commercial applications where the vehicles are under constant use and they can do the swaps on-site.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted:

man that hook mechanism is naice

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cheque_some posted:

cool. this video led me to another one about "Why Hasn't Battery Swapping For Electric Cars Caught On" and one of the other things mentioned in addition to what you all said was that no one wants to standardize on battery sizes when the field is still evolving so rapidly.

apparently it's done in some commercial applications where the vehicles are under constant use and they can do the swaps on-site.
it's part of the plan for those electric semis, they can hit the depot and swap batteries and keep going, vs waiting hours to recharge. makes sense if you have a standardized battery sled package.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
put the batteries in the wheels

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

very long extension cords.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

solar panels on the roof and a big magnifying glass attached to the hood for fast charging

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

a big sun lamp for cloudy days

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
isn’t the only economical process for making hydrogen at scale incredibly bad for the environment?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Doc Block posted:

isn’t the only economical process for making hydrogen at scale incredibly bad for the environment?

electrolysis is a pretty simple process. it's just a matter of how you generate the electricity. so it's bad for the environment in a roundabout way in how energy intensive it is. the process itself is just water -> hydrogen & oxygen

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah you can get pretty clean hydrogen with wind, solar or hydroelectric, in that order of preference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The current most economical process for making hydrogen is steam reformation of methane, which is economical because of our massive deregulated fossil fuel industry. It's extraordinarily wasteful and it emits carbon dioxide.

Electrolysis is theoretically one-to-one energy storage -- you put 1 million electrons through the circuit and get 1 million hydrogen atoms out, which can later move 1 million electrons in the fuel cell. Obviously there is some efficiency loss but it's better than the steam process. The problem with doing it on an industrial scale is the unimaginably vast amount of electrical power required to meet our needs. Talking like 10 times as many new nuclear plants are as currently operating today, carpet 2/3 of Nevada with solar cells, that sort of thing