Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

remember when the lomarf tv was going to come out any day now for like four solid years

the lomarf tv was just gene munster’s erotic fan fiction. that project never existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

q: why are apple cars the fastest?
a: they're coded in swift :xd:

I have an extremely yospos story about this that I can’t tell for at least a few more years

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

looking forward to accidentally discovering that swiping three fingers on the steering wheel makes the car flip a u turn

you mean the Touch Bar

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
seriously, how the hell do you have twenty thousand variables?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

my stepdads beer posted:

people say this a lot but i can't really think of any that are safer than just braking

you are driving across train tracks and the car in front of you stops at the second barrier because he’s a moron, leaving you in the path of an oncoming train. you can push him out of the way if you floor it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

Surely a better option in that case is just to go around the other car anyway? drive on to the shoulder or up on the sidewalk or whatever

on the sidewalk is a group of children walking to school. but in my car are 2000 doses of COVID vaccine.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Laslow posted:

yeah and they inexplicably speed up while you’re in the process.

when im in my infiniti(w/ skyline guts) i just need to nudge the gas and i’m gonna overtake you anyway without much effort unless you’re driving a hellcat demon. smooth and stress free with fountains of wayne on xm radio.

when im in my ancient mx5 im gonna overtake you even though it has 75hp because it weighs 90lbs., less if i’ve just taken a dump. but it’s like the millennium falcon doing the kessel run as i dramatically shift up.

so you really don’t need a bunch of power but you’ll be glad you have it when you do.

being on the right side of power to weight ratio really helps the mazda. i was on the wrong side of it with a pt cruiser for a while and it suuuucked.

I want to believe this is a real post, but it’s probably a cp from some car meme

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
we can have fully autonomous cars today in urban and suburban areas if we are willing to make the following changes:

no human-driven cars are allowed on roads.
the speed limit on non-highway roads is reduced to 30 mph.
all cars are connected to a central traffic management system.

chances of this happening are probably zero.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

leafs have been air cooled for billion plus years and nissan thought the issue was settled but morons ! it’s a different kind of leaf altogether

air cooled is best

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

they’re not ready for it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
hydrogen is a dead end because of the reasons mentioned above. compressing hydrogen to useable levels take a huge amount of energy. it doesn’t make sense.

it’s clear that battery electric cars are the future, unless some tech breakthrough comes along in the next few years. batteries increase in capacity at about 10% per year. the prices are high now, but they are coming down. by 2030 BEVs should comprise a big majority of new car sales.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

President Beep posted:

that is neat and all but the words “hoon” and “hoonigan” make me angry for some reason

goonigan

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cheque_some posted:

-----DO NOT STEAL THIS IDEA------

I've always wondered, why can't they make the batteries in electric cars modular so that instead of wasting an hour charging them at some service station, they just swap them out for you like they do for propane tanks at the hardware store. Obviously they're big and heavy but I'm imagining some kind of bay you drive into where they use a forklift or something to pull them out and slot the new ones in.

What am I missing?

a company called Better Place tried this in a few small countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd0WPw3p2MQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
burning man is a safe space for white people. it’s not inherently racist, and most of the people that go there think of themselves as non-racist. but if they can’t get high and cuddle in some tent because a black guy is having his turn in there then things will get uncomfortable.