Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
no wireless
less space than a tesla
lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lomarf tv+

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

you can get the lomarf car in any color so long as it’s aluminium

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
timb: so, do they have a full factory going for production?

lackey: they have a tent.

timb: lomarf!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
if Saab were still around and pre-GM conglomeration, that's who Apple would team with for the lomarf car

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

the lomarf car only has one pedal and you press lightly to accelerate and press hard to brake
you can inverse that in the preferences pane to "natural driving"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
will there be right-turning roads in glorious nippon?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

you are driving across train tracks and the car in front of you stops at the second barrier because he’s a moron, leaving you in the path of an oncoming train. you can push him out of the way if you floor it.
serves you right for tailgating!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
nice one, punchy

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

PIZZA.BAT posted:

apparently there's really impressive stuff coming out with liquid metal batteries which we should be able to manufacture at the utility-scale necessary to totally cut over to renewables. can't remember the name of the company but they've already got several installations. they're made out of really basic materials, aren't anywhere near as volatile as lithium-ion batteries, and are designed to be able to withstand orders of magnitude more cycles
biggest problem with liquid metal batteries are they operate at like 500C, so there's still a LOT of work, especially on the materials side, to be done getting them up to any sort of scale

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

PIZZA.BAT posted:

apparently the energy necessary to keep them at temperature is made up for their better efficiency compared to lithium. iirc the big obstacle now is making the ceramics necessary to house the batteries but it's mostly a scale thing, not an engineering or science problem
yeah iirc it's scaling more than proving the general tech behind it. should be ace for grid storage. I've only just started reading about it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cheque_some posted:

cool. this video led me to another one about "Why Hasn't Battery Swapping For Electric Cars Caught On" and one of the other things mentioned in addition to what you all said was that no one wants to standardize on battery sizes when the field is still evolving so rapidly.

apparently it's done in some commercial applications where the vehicles are under constant use and they can do the swaps on-site.
it's part of the plan for those electric semis, they can hit the depot and swap batteries and keep going, vs waiting hours to recharge. makes sense if you have a standardized battery sled package.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

PIZZA.BAT posted:

eyyy i’m lomarfin’ here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe