Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think I picked Vassell and I would be right if they gave him more minutes :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Thybulle in a zone defense is a totally different player.
https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/1356233355386376194?s=19

I was following the game via phone updates last night...and boy was I surprised with that final score after last seeing the end of the 3Q.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I'm 80% sure the bickerstaff asked him to give him a T. Wolves had just gone on a little run that was 100% hustle and the Cavs looked pretty listless going against an inferior team.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I was following the game via phone updates last night...and boy was I surprised with that final score after last seeing the end of the 3Q.

furkan korkmaz, matisse Thybulle and dwight howard all played the entire 4th quarter

it was incredible

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
LaMelo's middle name is LaFrance??

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Veryslightlymad posted:

Edit
I also expected Ball to fall into the trap of trying to do too much as a rookie scoring wise. Understanding his own (hopefully current) limitations shows a ton of maturity. Charlotte got a good one, I think.

At this point the only thing he's really cut out are the logo-shot threes, and he's snuck a few of those in. Otherwise the limiter is off and everything is just working

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Yeah I wasn't able to watch last night either and I assumed Philly was toast when they were down by like 20. If they can win games without Embiid against good teams that's real cool.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm plum done down in the dumps about the Dallas Mavs

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:lol: KD hates those guys

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
no idea why but I am dying at "Rod is a man of respect, like myself"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

I think I picked Vassell and I would be right if they gave him more minutes :colbert:

not enough minutes to go around; keldon johnson and lonnie walker are both playing pretty decently and derrick white is still starting at shooting guard which is going okay

between them and demar derozan all the minutes at 2/3 are eaten up and while i think vassell could probably defend power forwards they’re probably just waiting for derozan’s contract to expire (i really hope they don’t resign him like they did with richard jefferson)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

not enough minutes to go around; keldon johnson and lonnie walker are both playing pretty decently and derrick white is still starting at shooting guard which is going okay

between them and demar derozan all the minutes at 2/3 are eaten up and while i think vassell could probably defend power forwards they’re probably just waiting for derozan’s contract to expire (i really hope they don’t resign him like they did with richard jefferson)

I'm genuinely surprised they never bailed on Lonnie, but I guess that's not really their style

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

morestuff posted:

I'm genuinely surprised they never bailed on Lonnie, but I guess that's not really their style

they’re lousy with starting level players and are probably the deepest team in the nba just in terms of having 10 guys who could slot in and play 30 mpg on a playoff team, but it’s a bunch of fourth options so far

i’m impressed that they’ve hit on basically every pick but there hasn’t been a superstar among them and they’re not signing one in free agency any time soon

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

morestuff posted:

Walker is their only outside shooter who's currently hitting at an above-league average clip aside from Mills (who really should be mentioned more in the 6MOY conversation) and also their most athletic player.

White and Murray are better players at this time for sure, but Walker just might have the highest ceiling on the team if he can put it together in terms of consistent effort and aggressiveness on both sides of the court. He's worth hanging on to for now, IMO.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

anakha posted:

Walker is their only outside shooter who's currently hitting at an above-league average clip aside from Mills (who really should be mentioned more in the 6MOY conversation) and also their most athletic player.

White and Murray are better players at this time for sure, but Walker just might have the highest ceiling on the team if he can put it together in terms of consistent effort and aggressiveness on both sides of the court. He's worth hanging on to for now, IMO.

Yeah, he seems fine now, but in his first couple years he was barely getting on the court and I saw multiple reports about how Pop hated him. Plus they had a bunch of other young guys at his position

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

morestuff posted:

Yeah, he seems fine now, but in his first couple years he was barely getting on the court and I saw multiple reports about how Pop hated him. Plus they had a bunch of other young guys at his position

His rookie season was spent mostly in Austin, which was pretty much expected for most guys the Spurs draft.

Last year was his second season, and TBH the roster was just badly-built last season. Pop decided to give heavy minutes to noted defensive turnstile Bryn Forbes because they had no other reliable outside shooter outside of Mills, and Trey Lyles was starting at PF because the coaching staff felt they had no other options (insert obligatory gently caress Marcus Morris here). With Mills, Murray, White, Forbes, Belinelli and DeRozan all competing for minutes at the guard/swingman positions, Walker was frequently squeezed out.

The bubble and LMA's and Forbes's absences forcing Pop to go smallball with DeRozan at the 4 finally freed up time for Walker, and that has continued to this season. No more Forbes and Bellinelli also meant the guard rotation this season was much clearer.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

https://twitter.com/DrewHill_DM/status/1356293629120286720?s=20

Anyone know how reliable this guy is? Another month or so until JJJ returns would be pretty disappointing.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I'm plum done down in the dumps about the Dallas Mavs

It's been a bummer but I'm optimistic that an easier February schedule and not having Trey Burke and James Johnson 3-4 in minutes played will do wonders and a month from now we'll all feel a lot better. Offer not valid in GDT

The should probably explore the market for shooters though because Luka can be a bad shooter but he cannot be a bad shooter and the team's 6th best shooter

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
It is February. Probably time for a February thread.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Feb https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957707