Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Continuing Gobert contract chat--
https://twitter.com/Lockedonsports/status/1341233222299000833?s=20
what he does on offense is really underrated. I'm sure everyone here has read the screen assist article but this stat is pretty wild.

Gobert is a better player than Paul George

the screen assist thing is embarassing and jazz fans/media really need to knock it off

following david locke does explain why you immediadely jumped on the party line and defended drafting Buff Jeremy Evans in the first round though lol

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Luka Nard scored 16 per on 59% ts and shot 40% from 3 on 6.5 attempts per game ,and gave you 4 assists to boot (a stat that surprised me honestly). It's probably a bit of an overpay (how do the bonuses work on his contract?), but he's got an in vogue skill set.

He's a good player it's only a bad contract because he already has super hosed up knees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Are you besmirching NBA Dunk Contest champion Jeremy Evans? He was not good. That was a very malaise era for the Jazz.

He did have really insane efficiency stats from playing like five minutes a game and doing literally nothing but dunking. The Ty Corbin era was not fun.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Rudy is a limited but good and valuable offensive player.
You can be both of those things at the same time. Being the best screen setter and finisher is pretty valuable in a league where most offenses are build around pick and roll. You can think he's a good offensive player without thinking that he's Jokic or something, you do not need to treat every player who isn't the literal best in the league like they're useless trash.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Paul Zuvella posted:

This. Rudy is extremely good at what he does, but that does negate the fact that he has to be setting screens like a mad man to be actually contributing to a half court offense in a meaningful way.

Well you're post came off like being the absolute best in the league at doing this isn't really a big deal and I don't think that's true, it's super valuable. Setting awesome screens and having a lot of gravity as a roll man is a big part of them generating tons of open 3s, he plays a really important role in the offense.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Sure, but there are more factors going on here than just "screen assists good!". For one, he's a huge center who plays 34 minutes a game, and thus has way more opportunities to set picks than most other centers who act exclusively as roll men. Secondly, if he was able to make reads out of the high post and pass at even an average level he would be doing way less pick setting.

e: Also I don't want to sound like Im making GBS threads on Rudy here. I think Rudy is really good, he just is not some elite offensive talent. The fact that he does hyper focus his offensive game so much around the pick and roll is actually worth praising. Tons of guys have Dwight Howard syndrome and try to do more than they can.

he's also genuinely good at setting the screens because he's huge and not afraid of contact (and also knows how to get away with moving screens in a way that doesn't get called) which I agree is a dumb and obnoxious thing to talk up constantly like david locke does but it's still a skill that lots of centers suck at. emiid is a better player overall but he sets lovely screens

no one thinks he's an elite offensive talent, just that he's a good one. most people treat him like he's outright bad because he doesn't post up a ton or shoot jumpers so that's what people are trying to push back on, no one thinks what he does on offense is as valuable as what, like, jokic or kat do on offense.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

he set a thousand more screens than the fourth place guy! i was stoked about the doke draft because im old enough to remember the Tony Bradley and Ed Davis minutes from last year. Locke is a goon who talks himself in circles but you kinda have to follow him if you're a jazz fan

edit--honestly you're not making sense lol, Locke was NOT high on doke and wanted yet another Three and Dee wing

I dunno I don't follow him anymore because he's annoying and usually full on running PR for the team so I assumed he'd jumped on board with their insane claim that he was like a top 5 player in the draft because of his fake vert.

They do in fact need more wings, they're trying to pretend that Miye Oni is a thing and are going to give big minutes to Niang again. You could draft a competent backup center in the second round and there are always guys who are better than tony bradley sitting out there for basically nothing, you don't need to use a valuable resource to get one. They also almost certainly knew the favors thing was going to happen when they did it and that renders Dok even more useless. They're a mostly bad drafting team aside from getting lucky with Rudy and having Mitchell fall into their laps.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 22, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

i definitely agree that the front office for Utah gets sucked off way more than they deserve. doke just looked like an instant upgrade at backup center and none of the other players left were really distinguishable like he was. it's not like Mitchell was some hidden gem only they could identify--he was so obviously good that the media was specifically told to not talk about how obviously good he was. Rudy turning into Rudy at 27 is more of a testament to the player development program than anything. royce oneale was a big hit and I think juwan Morgan will end up being one too.

other than that they have Dante exum, Grayson Allen, uh, jeez it's really fuckin bleak

They are pretty solid at finding useful UDFA and g-league guys they just stink at drafting. I will be mad forever about taking Trey Lyles, who outright sucked in college and didn't have a position, over Devin Booker

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 22, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kingcobweb posted:

It’s kinda unfair to say they’re bad at drafting but you have to exclude they’re two best players, who they drafted themselves. Especially since they traded for those picks from the Nuggets; they bought Gobert for cash and traded Trey Lyles to move up to pick Mitchell. Seems like 100% of the good things about the Jazz are because they fleeced the Nuggets with really smart draft-day decisions in 2013 and 2017

Well sure but they draft guys who can't even make the rotation more often than not which is not great. They're Adam Dunn, they have hit some homers but if they don't do that they're probably striking out. Would be nice to see a couple singles or doubles mixed in there.

Gobert is an unambiguously great pick but Mitchell I don't think was really that amazing a find relative to where he was being projected at the time. He has over performed every expectation for him but he was also pretty much immediately a feature of "biggest draft day steals" lists before he played a game. Trading up to get him was a nice move but once they got there it didn't really take a genius to have him as the best available at that spot.

I guess Hood and Hayward were nice picks too but their early lottery record and everything they've done since Mitchell is really bad.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 22, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

It makes to look worse than it is because the two best picks are both draft day trades but yeah stuff like Grayson Allen or Lyles is tough.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
i mean they are going to be very bad

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

Listen man I'm high on ball movement and sick dunks right now

I meant minnesota. I guess charlotte will also be bad but they'll be fun bad

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

Euphronius please let me use your time machine to go back to 2005

playing world of warcraft and pining to see a center my goodness

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

a new study bible! posted:

Its also safe to assume that Harden isn't the only NBA player making excursions like that regularly.

As we learned last year Lou Williams is a loyal enough customer that he has a menu item named after him at one

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tampa specifically is like 80% strip club

lotta opportunities for me to quote hold steady lyrics if he goes there though so I support it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If anyone tries to tell you he doesn't care about winning just remember that he didn't put Atlanta on his approved trade list

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
the guy who had multiple back surgeries before he turned 21 being completely untouchable for Denver even if the return is James Harden is very funny.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

listen that video could be any 6'5" guy with a gigantic beard who is notorious for loving strip clubs we need to wait for all the facts here

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I stand by my joke

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

a new study bible! posted:

The strip club should have deleted the tapes imo

yeah this feels like a real breach of trust, especially after everything James has done to support them

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

Broke Boy going to make them quarantine in an a Rain Forest cafe. He'll give them 10% off mojo ribs

tbh going to a rainforest cafe is generally a pretty good way to avoid being around other people

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Aye Doc posted:

i bet the first thing every player did when they got out of the bubble was hit up their regular barber and get fixed. crying miserably into their shoulder, talking about how dirty the bubble barbers did 'em. gonna be a lot of haircut-roni problems in the nba this year i think

the Hawks won't need this because they wisely acquired the services of William Rondo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Yukaichiban posted:

BOOOOOO NBA BOOOOOO THEY POSTPONED MY RASSLIN FOR GROSS DRIBBLE BALL BULLSHIT. BOOOO.

what

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

NickRoweFillea posted:

Ja dropped 44! :)
Nobody else scored above 20 :(

Who did this to my beautiful boy I want names

https://twitter.com/fastbreakbreak/status/1341942100968026116?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Algund Eenboom posted:

Hes pulling a devin vassell and displaying horrendously broken shot form as a social experiment

The Vassell one does actually seem like it was just him loving around or shooting for farther away than he's comfortable with because he looked fine in preseason.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jazz got up 50 threes last night. They're really shooting the poo poo out of the ball so far through preseason and the first game

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Katana_Warrior posted:

they literally didn't beat the starters. it's a prime case of why these reports are stupid and misleading.

yeah he made like one basket, yelled a lot, got his rear end kicked by a bunch of people he had just called scrubs, and then went to talk to the reporters his agent told to be there lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

Andrew Wiggins might be bad????

Will never stop being funny that national nba writers went from "Wiggins has the dumbest most toxic contract in the league" to "Wiggins and a pick for Bradley Beal???" overnight when he got traded

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
who exactly do you think was the first option on the 2014 and 2015 teams

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
lebron was a high level passer from basically the moment he stepped on a nba court, the only real weakness in his offensive game when he was younger was that he couldn't shoot.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The Lakers defense does not look very good, that might be difference for the Clippers in the playoffs unless they swing a trade midseason. Because I don't think the Nuggets will be making it back to the WCF this year.

lakers got like two weeks off this year so I imagine they may be coasting to some extent. a big reason they were so good on D last year was that LeBron finally got a summer off and actually tried on defense for the first time in like five years.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 26, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
pg defense doesn't really matter and rondo hasn't been a great defender in like a decade anyway

Gasol was still really good on defense last year despite being slow

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Lebron was a dogshit defender when he was Luka's age

Luka wasn't really that bad on defense last year either, he's fine. He looks out of shape this year but it's been two games people need to chill out lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Yeah, 2 games in but I'm REAL happy with Anthony Edwards as a #1 pick....

Yeah he looks great. Issue with him was always mostly approach to the game if he was just bored at lower levels then he's going to be awesome, tools are all there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
he was also good in detroit once they finally played him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacebump posted:

I haven't watched the Warriors, why is Oubre so bad this year? Is it increased defensive attention or just weirdness due to the start of the season?

His shot selection is trash

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

rip BSO.

Bout time that dude gets taken out of the paint. As the dude who outed Rose's accuser.

he got me too'd a year or two ago too, he loving sucks

still do not understand why people care about larissa pippen or any nba player's kids this much

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I think Oubre will come around, he wasn't like this in Washington or Phoenix.

Wiggins confidence might be permashot though. All throughout the fourth quarter every time he got the ball he was looking for someone to pass it to.

He actually was like this for washington though, that's why the suns got him for basically nothing. The Suns didn't even want him, they were going to flip him to the Grizzles for Wayne Seldon, another player, and second rounders but that part of the trade fell through because the Grizzles thought Dillon Brooks was too much to give up for him.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 28, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

was that the trade that got cancelled after it was agreed to in principle because the teams in question were talking about different players?

Yes they agreed to trade "Brooks" and the Grizzles thought that meant MarShon when the Suns wanted Dillon

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
devasting news for dinwiddie but also for the fake trade industrial complex, keep brian windhorst in your thoughts today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
44 billion made through predatory lending tactics that helped wreck the entire world's economy once already pay your loving janitors you cheap rear end in a top hat