Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Horseshit. You're telling me they didn't have five guys? They should have taken their beating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Athanatos posted:

8 minimum to have the game.

Eight? I could have sworn I saw a Suns game that ran with seven, back in the Nash era.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Algund Eenboom posted:

Lol at the fake crowd booing
:laffo:
Oh, man, they even got out of there like when a wrestling match is won by a sneaky distraction roll-up.

I'm not even sure I'm complaining anymore. I'd be down for a sneaky Heel Sacramento team.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I think my favorite foray into "Small Sample Size theater" this year is Deni Avdija's extremely sustainable Effective Field Goal percentage of 150%.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
If people think the league will rig itself for the Warriors, why the hell were the Warriors terrible for like, forty years?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

I don't care how many millions he's worth, James can't be throwing stones at people for this sort of thing.

(And to be fair, he hasn't! This is just some Twitter nobody making a joke)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Second gameplay glitch this season. Reality needs a patch.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Bulls could beat a couple of bad teams on that list, but would still need to get lucky. They'll also beat at least one of the good teams and cause everyone to overreact about what it means.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Wiggins and Oubre combine to make close to twenty five times what Damion Lee does.

I'm gonna bang this drum until my boy gets himself nice and overpaid in a couple of years, so he can go on to ruin a franchise, too.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

karmicknight posted:

The Cleveland Cavaliers: It's totally sustainable.

Undefeated won't be sustainable, but it looks like Garland and Osman both took big steps in development, which could be all it takes to get a low playoff seed.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It's a tall order, and probably won't happen, but I really, really hope to see Jokic drop a double triple double one day.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

The Glumslinger posted:

Hey, don't you talk poo poo about Sasha Vujacic or else you'll need to plan a road trip out to Temecula

...... someone actually defended Sasha Vujacic before I could. I am among my people here.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Let's visit today's installment of Small sample size theater:

Domantas Sabonis is averaging 22.4/11/7.2/.8/.4 . This somehow trails Nikola Jokic in every category.

Jokic is averaging 24.5/11.5/13.5/1.5/.8 . He's also shooting 62% from the field and 40% from deep.

Totally sustainable production. (.....but what if it is?!)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I could see Jokic averaging like 20/9/11 on 55% shooting and %36-38 from 3. A triple double season isn't out of the picture.

This feels very plausible. It's been a blast.

Imagine the league heading toward a paradigm shift, where the tallest players run the offense, and the smaller guards score the easy points.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Stagger_Lee posted:

Kirk Hinrich has more Win Shares in a Bulls uniform than any other point guard in franchise history.

I feel like a person can accept "This is because Derrick Rose's knees exploded" while also believing/knowing "Kirk Hinrich should have been an All-Star at least once"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

"He was my guard," says Van Gundy, stifling his tears. "I'll do it."

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
That's a hell of a bench celebration.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I didn't immediately recognize the injury, so I google image searched it and several of the early pictures were graphics of elderly people in walkers, which is probably not the best thing to be compared to when you're a teenager.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Clear offensive foul on AD there. Gotta tap out bro.

Gotta get him back up for a Gotch style piledriver. Only way to be sure.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Zogo posted:

The best scorer in 2006:

code:
Player		NP
Gilbert Arenas	326.44
Dirk Nowitzki	323.88
Steve Nash	310.24
Kobe Bryant	298.64
Ray Allen	297.04
LeBron James	296.84
Paul Pierce	296.72
Dwyane Wade	273.68
Shawn Marion	272.88
Elton Brand	268.08

Ryan Bowen	-42.16
Kris Humphries	-43.6
Jim Jackson	-44.72
Jason Collins	-44.84
Zach Randolph	-46.92
Q. Richardson	-48.04
Eric Snow	-48.92
Chris Webber	-57.12
Desmond Mason	-65.88
Eddie Griffin	-82.56

Put Shawn Marion in the drat hall already. Got any cool defense ratings from that season? I would lay odds Marion was on that list, too.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Zogo posted:

A couple of superteams rotating every couple of years that face each other in the finals may be the most ideal scenario but not everyone wants that. e.g. If LBJ had MJJ by his side a few years ago to fight the Warriors. Or if the Jazz had David Robinson and the Bulls had Shaq in the late 1990s. Or if LBJ played with Wilton Chamberlain in his early Cavalier years. Or if the Lakers had Oscar Robertson in the 1960s. The list goes on and on.

Hard pass.

But I'll take "parity" in the form of a number of different super teams with bonkers, lopsided stats in lots of different directions. Has that ever been a thing?

I liked the era of the early to mid 2000s. Teams like the Spurs were always good, the Celtics that did the big three thing "first" were at the top, the Lakers went to the top using classic two man games with Shaq and again with Gasol, the Pistons could lock down any team, but couldn't stop one man, and then in the mix you had these other teams innovating, like the Suns with their offense or the Mavericks with Dirk changing a big man's role.... doing stuff that's incredibly commonplace nowadays, but that's just a testament that they found strategies that actually worked. It felt like parity, but nothing felt the same.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Best on/off player (by far) is, yet again, Damion Lee, but I think this is more a matter of how abysmal Oubre and to a lesser extent, Wiggins, are. The other starters see floor time with tweedledum and tweedledee more than Lee does.

Or maybe his positioning on both ends of the floor is elite. Green's positioning remains elite even if he's not the player he used to be.

......... What if the thing Steph needs to thrive is simply his teammates being in the right spot? Maybe he is "just" a system player, but if everyone actually uses the system, he's unstoppable?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hey, Zogo, can I change my poll response about most underrated player from whatever dumbass wrong answer I put to Damion Lee?

I have no loving idea why he is good, but he's good.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Zogo posted:

No, once a vote has been cast it's set in stone.

Nuts. I understand. Welp, I have been wrong before, and I will be wrong again.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It's ok, this is good for Kyrie. I hear Drake's latest girlfriend is learning about the solar system in her distance learning classes.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
There's a reasonable chance that Durant would have won that year anyhow if he stayed with Westbrook. Which is why his leaving to the Warriors is so legendarily pathetic.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I started laughing about the Knicks during the Marbury/Francis years, and haven't stopped laughing about the Knicks since.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Do not let the fans name a team, it will be dumb.
Do not let the ownership group name a team. It will be dumb and boring.

Just use some kind of random generator to come up with a plural noun or concept.

The Vancouver Brains
The Montreal Legumes
The Louisville Transplantations
The Las Vegas Roosters
The Raleigh Cones

.......ok, my idea is also terrible.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
We're supposed to be looking at growth rate? Is it population or economy?

Either way, Austin and Raleigh, I think? Of cities that are of "about the right size already" and "don't already have teams"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
^^^^Edit: It turns out there was a second girl in the Phoenix Suns story.

~~~~~~~
The best bits of Inside the NBA were never the basketball analysis.

Analysts always seem negative. Who is genuinely excited by basketball that works next to it? Doris Burke? Anyone else?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The wild thing is, his message to the kid wasn't even that bad, just phrased on the most dick-headed way possible.

Like, Mitchell's response was "Aight. ... That's it. I've been hearing you say that since my rookie season. I'm just going to get better and do what I do."

Shaq: "That's what I wanted to hear you say. Love your game, brother. Keep it up"

Like, the message is good, the messaging is dogshit. The whole..... Pre-interview bullying is pointless.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I had never seen a chart use the phrase "by a country mile, folks", and I am blessed to say that now I have.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

donovans high flying style will also not age well. he's already doing a lot less of it. he can't be the best player on a championship team based on what we've seen from him so far.
he's a great player and I'm happy to have him as the face of my team anyway. this entire conversation really doesn't have as much to do with Shaq not watching basketball as it does with COUNT THE RINGS culture. if you're not a top player on a top team then you're not in Ring Contention and thus don't matter. It's a very stupid angle to take for a post game interview but it's what nba culture is.

Someone should gently remind Shaq of that time Chauncey Billups whooped his rear end in the finals. (Also, put Billups in the Hall of Fame)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Oh yeah, absolutely Ben, too. Much love to Fred Van Vleet, but Ben Wallace was an undrafted 4 time DPOY. There's something unique and groundbreaking there that the league must acknowledge at the highest level.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Paul Zuvella posted:

Am I being punked here? Dwade is what, the 20-25th best player in the history of the sport? Do you honestly think its possible for Mitchell to get there?

Possible? Sure. Probable? Not really.

Although, Wade, while a generational talent, was also a silver spoon fed motherfucker who had the fortune to have Shaq and Mourning both jump in the fountain of youth when he was Donnie's age and then LeBron and Bosh a few years later.

Like, if Mitchell found himself on a team with Giannis and.... gently caress I dunno who would sub for Bosh. Porzingis? And won some championships, he would be viewed pretty highly, yeah. So people you play with make a pretty big mark on your own career.
(I am aware an easier comparison would be going to the Lakers with AD and LeBron. Leave me alone.)

I love me some Rudy Gobert, and I think he's one of the very best players alive today, but he ain't those guys.

euphronius posted:

That Detroit team is underrated still

Chauncey was like top 10Player in the league that year and should be in the hall of fame

There are a few advanced metrics where if you go to Basketball Reference and look at the all time career leaderboard, you have an unbroken string of Hall of Famers or currently active players everyone knows will make the Hall of Fame, and then Chauncey Billups and Shawn Marion, and then a second unbroken string of hall of famers.

Put Billups and Marion in the hall.

creamcorn posted:

it's because he didn't use his much cooler real name, Lafayette Lever. (also a pretty short peak)

He saw the success "Magic Johnson" did as a name and decided he wanted in on that action, and ain't a soul alive that blames him.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Wade is probably top 5 and at worst top 7, sure, but I wouldn't say he's a clear #3. Especially because he's behind Reggie Miller (who noone had so much as mentioned) on just about every single advanced metric, despite having had more playoff success.

Championships, I think, color our perceptions of players. And very understandably so.

And Billups is, again, just behind an unbroken string of hall of famers in several categories, and then ahead of an unbroken string of hall of famers. He was really loving good.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'd love to see Carter as a coach. The discipline to completely reinvent his game and remain effective for years is something I think could be passed along. I think he would have the gravitas necessary to get a player to buy into a new role; after all, he did it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

They lost that game by 12.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I think you're discounting the larger frame stories of the process and the continuing saga of getting back up after his injury, so long ago.

Embiid becoming, not just good, not just great, but arguably the league MVP after all that is a very good story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I think it's more "his role has been reduced because he's shooting under 30% from 3," but they don't want to tank his trade value.

Why is his shooting so bad this year? Does it seem like it might return to normal? Bjelica is on a 1 year deal, so it seems like only contenders would want anything to do with him, or people trying to dump salary, although his isn't that high.

If it seems like his rhythm and such is still good, and the shots haven't fallen yet, uh... Philly could make it work with Mike Scott and maybe a second or two? That feels fair.

But if Bjelica's just another guy that can't shoot anymore and that sub 30 gaudiness is here to stay, then that's just another guy they can't use. I'd say it's maybe worth the gamble?