Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I was listening to a local podcast and they mentioned that the Wolves are really frustrated at the whole sinclair thing with Fox Sports North and also that their TV deal with FSN is up at the end of the season. And after thinking "sweet maybe they'll leave FSN" then I actually thought about it and realized: there's really nowhere else for a team to go outside of their RSN anymore is there? Nobody is gonna pay for a team network unless your rates are super low or you have a massive fanbase to justify the hike in rates that everyone else will hate (and the Wolves are uh...not even close to that), and you're not going to get a TBS/WGN type deal on a national channel unless it's another channel that like nobody has. And I'm not sure any local networks would want to preempt their reliable primetime programming on weeknights.

Just random early morning musings stemming from frustration at not being able to watch my favorite team without resorting to spending a bunch of money for something like hehestreams or something even less legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rick posted:

I think local TV would still want the content, although they can only do the road games

wait what, really?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Ryen Rusillo interrupting Simmons on the latest BS podcast to scream "ARE YOU loving NUTS?" was a lotta fun.

(Simmons said he thought Minnesota would be worse than OKC this year)

He's never gonna let it go that they wouldn't entertain his dumb as gently caress idea to be the GM is he

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

listen that video could be any 6'5" guy with a gigantic beard who is notorious for loving strip clubs we need to wait for all the facts here

It reads to me like they're trying to figure out when it was, not who it was

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

this is a jump shot even the ball family sees in their nightmares

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/secretbase/status/1341960417208397824/photo/1

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Didn't the fans actually hate him and not in a heel heat kind of way or was that after he became XPAC?

that was way way way way down the line

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bashez posted:

It's gonna be real hard to walk back.

seems pretty easy to me

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I was talking to a friend and I mentioned that my biggest (no pun intended) takeaway from Edwards this season is how loving huge he is for a 19 year old. Usually I can find the rookies on the floor at a glance because of how skinny they are compared to guys who have been in the league for a while but Edwards looks like he's been in an NBA strength program for half a decade already

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I didn't post all that what did you do

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/barondavis/status/1343616160126812161?s=21

I was curious and I looked and Baron Davis came off the bench his whole rookie year as the third overall pick lol

What’s the rationale for Edwards coming off the bench? Low pressure situations to develop his skills like you’d do for any rookie? I’m sure he’ll start sooner or later. Truthfully,

Blake Griffin and Ben Simmons didn't start a single game their first year in the league

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Declan MacManus posted:

uh, don't you mean anthony edwards??????????? you fool, you dummy, you've fallen into one of the classic blunders, time to start over with a new account

(i think edwards will end up in the starting lineup sooner rather than later but giving him the authority to dominate teams' second units with rubio feeding him seems like a pretty good idea for his development)

Edwards will be in the starting lineup the moment the NBA finally suspends Malik Beasley (and tbqh I am a little surprised they haven't yet but maybe his court stuff isn't official yet?)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Declan MacManus posted:

yeah i thought him pointing a gun "in the direction of" his infant son would've been a bigger deal but :shrug:

I looked it up and couldn't find anything about that (but I *do* remember hearing that at some point) but his sentencing is scheduled for early February and the jail time he has to serve won't happen during the season. So I guess after he's officially sentenced is when the NBA will finally suspend him. I assume this is CBA related to protect players from something like the NFL's bogus system but in this specific case it's a bad look. Fortunately for the NBA it's an out of sight out of mind thing and the Wolves are extremely out of sight for most fans and media lol.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Good thing he very publicly cheated on her a few short months later

She's actually his wife but they were already in the process of divorcing so it doesn't really matter

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

happy birthday to my liege

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

dokmo posted:

is oladipo more or less cooked is a question i was asked today, and i don't have a good answer.

what's the difference between more cooked and less cooked

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Algund Eenboom posted:

Seems really stupid, 2 me, that the rockets are wearing light blue and the kings are wearing black. Happy new year every1

the Lakers were wearing blue against the Wolves a few days ago and I had a similar reaction

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Stagger_Lee posted:

The basketball-reference mvp tracker with early-season low sample sizes is my favorite thing.

stop the season and award the mvp based on this so my hot take in the zogopoll is right

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

one of the replies dubbed this dude as Allah Iverson and I can't stop laughing

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

dokmo posted:

Pyf wolves memory. Mine is Wally getting kicked in the face by Bruce Bowen.

being in the stands for game 7 against the kings

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

The idea that having one of the best offensive players in the league on the team is why they've been bad is insane

As a Wolves fan, boy am I used to this

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

KAT being bad defensively at the 5 is a way bigger liability though. However, KATs been getting better defensively even if he's still pretty bad.

thank you for providing an example of my point

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

he's right though position matters a lot

the one year KAT actually had a decent team around him they were on track to have a top four seed until his co-star missed over 20 games

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

The defense on that team was still bad though. They'd have been a championship contender if their defense was even average.

I think you can absolutely build a very very good team around KAT, but in that case there's truth to the defense argument, as opposed to people who think Curry's defense is some insurmountable problem ignoring the top-5 defenses he played on.

How did we get to championship caliber teams when the starting point was "not being bad"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Declan MacManus posted:

lonzo’s a + player but boy is his fanbase a fuckin headache

Lockback isn't that bad

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Athanatos posted:

What kinda injury does LeVert have?

Dipo cannot play in back-to-back games, it cant be worst than that.

Oops

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

Wolves should have kept him and KG together

he forced his way out because he didn't want to be the second guywas cold

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

a new study bible! posted:

Who stays good longer, Embiid or Paul?

If you're talking about from this day forward then probably Embiid since he's a decade younger.

If you mean who will have the longer period of being good in their career then almost certainly Paul, given Embiid's injury history and general size since big men tend to break down faster as they age.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

R.D. Mangles posted:

you too can get the vaccine just like lebron! note, vaccines currently not available for anyone except congress.

if I wasn't able to work 100% remotely I'd be getting the vaccine tomorrow or thursday and I'm not in congress :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yossarian-22 posted:

How do you all think the Simmons/Ingram/Brown 2016 trifecta will stack up against each other when they all retire? I'm beginning to think Brown will be the best of the lot and also I can't think of another draft so stacked 1-3

2003 and 1984 come to mind

e: 2009 and 2012 are pretty great as well

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Didn't Darko go 2nd in 03 though?

you didn't say that all three of the picks from 1-3 had to be good

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DeimosRising posted:

In three of those drafts the number 2 guy was just marginal and out of league in a decade and mkg probably will be. it's very very rare for the top three guys to all actually end up as all stars, even if none of the three are historic level dudes like lebron or hakeem or jordan.

IcePhoenix posted:

you didn't say that all three of the picks from 1-3 had to be good

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

I can't tell if the Timberwolves are trying or not.

But if they do have the worst record in the league they still have a ~60% chance of dropping out of the top-3 and giving their pick to Golden State so I guess that is working.

We are 100% getting the 4th pick, regardless of what the odds are at the time of the lottery

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Now pots the one where McDaniels sends his shot into the seats

e: or the Rubio alley oop to Naz that was cool too

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 26, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

alternate angle and better court audio

https://twitter.com/Dubs408/status/1353909706582941696

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I live in Minnesota so have never seen or heard of anyone dumb enough to throw hot water on their car to clear off ice or snow, does it break the glass? Or is it just a new sheet of ice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zogo posted:

Here is how NOT to get a car out of the snow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lzSc3CrTrQ

lmao