Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Hey goons, I have a question for you who might be involved with the Catholic Church. I grew up going to a mainline Protestant and I’m not really active these days. Most people I grew up going to church with attend this time of year for Christmas Eve and maybe for Easter, but that’s about it.

However, I know quite a few people in my life who are Catholic and despite expressing agnostic beliefs or general indifference, they are pretty loyal to the church. They attend mass at least a couple times a month, and some of them even have kids go to Catholic school. i’ve asked my good friend about this, and for him he goes just because it’s so ingrained in him since childhood he can’t imagine life any other way. It’s just part of life and always will be.

So if you are a practicing Catholic, can I ask why? This is not a thread to debate religion or the history or ethics of any particular Christian denomination, so thanks in advance. I am genuinely curious why Catholics seem to be more loyal to their church as adults than people I know from other Christian traditions. Christmas seemed like a good time to ask this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Similar to Rotary or Freemasonry, its actually just about networking.

(So I have heard. I'm not Catholic never have been, I don't attend any of the above.)

Halloween Liker fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 23, 2020

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I just need a bit more time before im ready for the real thing OK

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
they're bound together by shared suffering

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Catholicism is heresy. Paul corrupted the teachings of Jesus Christ. All of the Church Fathers are heretics. Every mainstream branch of Christianity must be destroyed.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Sorry OP, cpuldnt stop myself

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If I believe Catholicism, it is real. If Catholicism is real, then demons are real. If demons are real, succubi are real. And if succubi are real, then I can make one my girlfriend.

I dare to dream, OP.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Something Awful: You Don't Have to be Catholic to Post Here...But It Helps!

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

There is a living crucifix embedded in my flesh that will torture me with immense pain if I ever am not within a mile of a Catholic church. It also makes me immortal. Praise the lord.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

Meme Poker Party posted:

If I believe Catholicism, it is real. If Catholicism is real, then demons are real. If demons are real, succubi are real. And if succubi are real, then I can make one my girlfriend.

I dare to dream, OP.

The Waifu dogma. Nice.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I just attend for the kinky sex.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I guess I'm just a bit of a masochist that also hates children but not in the superficial sense that I don't like them and don't want them around me I mean in the really hosed up sense that I think people should have like a dozen each to get abused in Catholic institutions to churn out more hate filled victims to continue the cycle exponentially until God says enough is enough and sends another flood which you'd think after everything we've done over the past millennium would have happened already but apparently the big guy has a massive threshold for what he'll tolerate which really makes you wonder exactly what kind of hosed up poo poo the pre-flood people were doing. Should we be barbequing babies instead of baptising them? Would that do it y'think?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

I am genuinely curious why Catholics seem to be more loyal to their church as adults than people I know from other Christian traditions. Christmas seemed like a good time to ask this.

It's a cultural thing. For a lot of descendants of immigrants from predominantly Catholic countries, it's the last bit of the old traditions to get passed down, especially in larger cities where families have spent several generations. For example, I grew up in Chicago. A lot of my great grandparents were Irish immigrants who had settled there, and most of the rest of my family still lives there. They don't have any connection to Ireland or to Irish culture, but they still raise their kids as Catholic and send them to Catholic school, even if they aren't particularly religious.

Catholicism isn't so much a religion for them, it's more just a part of their identity.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I would say a big reason is not wanting to disappoint the parents and other family. Like maybe they are not religious but their parents are super religious. edit: or their spouse

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 23, 2020

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Meme Poker Party posted:

I dare to dream, OP.

You don't have to be specifically Catholic to believe in Succubi. The Daemonologie, In Forme of a Dialogue, Divided into three Books: By the High and Mighty Prince, James are, in my humble opinion, the most definitive religious texts on this particular topic. And if you're using that, it just helps to pair it with the King James Bible, so it all matches.

The Catholics don't use the King James Bible (because, if I remember my Jack Chick, it's too pure and authentic for those idol-loving, Satan-loving, cookie-worshiping heathens).

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

However, I know quite a few people in my life who are Catholic and despite expressing agnostic beliefs or general indifference, they are pretty loyal to the church. They attend mass at least a couple times a month, and some of them even have kids go to Catholic school. i’ve asked my good friend about this, and for him he goes just because it’s so ingrained in him since childhood he can’t imagine life any other way. It’s just part of life and always will be.
How is this a real thing? It's not the first time I've heard it, but... is it hard to imagine doing whatever you want on Sundays instead of going to church? Or not making your kids get taught things you think aren't true by priests?

I've obviously never had religion, but I truly don't get going through the motions, if you already did the hard part of calling the beliefs you were raised with bullshit.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

DONT ACT ALL MOTHER SUPERIOR TO US, OP

SOME OF US just cant KICK THE HABIT

PLAY ME OUT, RANDY

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Infinite Karma posted:

How is this a real thing? It's not the first time I've heard it, but... is it hard to imagine doing whatever you want on Sundays instead of going to church? Or not making your kids get taught things you think aren't true by priests?

I've obviously never had religion, but I truly don't get going through the motions, if you already did the hard part of calling the beliefs you were raised with bullshit.

That's a pretty common sentiment for people who weren't indoctrinated into a religion at a young age. If you can get to someone between 2-7 you can own their brain for life. It's literally part of who they are and the effort they would have to go through to fully undo it is just not practical for most people.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

did you know that inciting religious unrest in the buddhist tradition is an offense so damaging to your karma that it is almost guaranteed to banish you to naraka, the coldest and deepest of all hells?

of course you didnt, because you have infinite karma

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 23, 2020

GAYIDS
May 3, 2020

by Pragmatica
Still hoping that a priest will eventually molester me someday :sigh:

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
"To go to a protestant service you have to believe. To go to mass, you just have to be italian." Is how it's always been explained to me. Insert whichever enthic group you'd like. It's a core orthodox vs orthoprax distinction.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It’s the one western faith you see a lot of in anime.

Yes, I am a practicing Catholic.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

So if you are a practicing Catholic, can I ask why? This is not a thread to debate religion or the history or ethics of any particular Christian denomination, so thanks in advance. I am genuinely curious why Catholics seem to be more loyal to their church as adults than people I know from other Christian traditions. Christmas seemed like a good time to ask this.

I'm absolutely not a practicing catholic, but I would say that like the joke about the atheist in north ireland, I'm an atheist but specifically a catholic atheist. I genuinely believe that part of this is that there's still a stand (admittedly fairly low level) of anti-Catholicism enmeshed in American culture, and the loyalty is a pushback against that. It pretty much took one fellow student saying that Catholics weren't Christian to shift my edgy teen atheist rear end from "want nothing to do with the chruch" to "hey gently caress you, that's what I grew up with."

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Giving money in the form of tithes and offerings to the Catholic Church while they still to this day continue to shift pedo priests around and use their power and influence to silence victims and cover up misdeeds while the whole world is aware it’s happening is basically using your own money to aid and abet child sexual abuse and super hosed up that people still do it

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

So if you are a practicing Catholic, can I ask why?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866331&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Here's a link to the A/T religion thread. Feel free to ask there!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Weka posted:

I just attend for the kinky sex.

Hmm that might get you on some watchlists father...

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
As a kid in a Protestant family, Catholicism always seemed super witchy. All the black robes and chanting and rituals and worshiping mummified corpses and body parts by candlelight? Buncha witches.

Isn't there a church with a holy foreskin, or am I confusing this with someone else's mummy penis?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Das Boo posted:

As a kid in a Protestant family, Catholicism always seemed super witchy. All the black robes and chanting and rituals and worshiping mummified corpses and body parts by candlelight? Buncha witches.

Isn't there a church with a holy foreskin, or am I confusing this with someone else's mummy penis?

It IS witchy. Catholicism is the direct marriage between classical polytheism and Judaism. All of the other sects of Christianity are the children of that marriage and so contain more or or less of those classical pagan roots depending but the thing they're all birthed from is a meeting between the ideas of monotheism polytheism.

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Witchy? Common, I mean all we do is just perform a complicated magical ritual on a weekly basis that summons our God in physical form and then we devour his flesh and blood.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Protestants build boring piece of poo poo churches, Catholics build fucken cathedrals. If you gotta be either for some reason, it seems obvious which one is cooler. Orthodox churches tend to be pretty badass and covered in gold too, also an acceptable choice.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

This is not a thread to debate religion or the history or ethics of any particular Christian denomination, so thanks in advance.

"Hey tell me why you're loyal to a major historical religious institution but you can't talk about history or religion while doing it thanks."

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
hey guys so you're an open neo-nazi in 2020 so what's up with that?

This is a judgement free zone and please refrain from bringing up the history like the ethics and stuff of nazism this just a free place for people to chill and give their opinions.

Yes I'm directly associating Nazism with Catholicism. I just want to be very clear that I am completely aware of, and deliberate in making that connection. If you are a practicing catholic I personally view you as no better than a nazi.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Seems a tad bit extreme

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's not though. It's totally fair.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's not and you're being reactionary to make yourself feel special.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Why is a direct comparison not fair? Why is Catholicism as an ideology not open the same degree of scrutiny that Nazism is?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You're the one making the assertion. Not me, pal.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Yeah and you're disagreeing with it. If I'm not being fair by making a direct comparison then why am I not being fair in doing that?

I guess if you just disagree and don't want to say why, then ok.

Banana Republican
Jul 12, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

hey guys so you're an open neo-nazi in 2020 so what's up with that?

This is a judgement free zone and please refrain from bringing up the history like the ethics and stuff of nazism this just a free place for people to chill and give their opinions.

Yes I'm directly associating Nazism with Catholicism. I just want to be very clear that I am completely aware of, and deliberate in making that connection. If you are a practicing catholic I personally view you as no better than a nazi.

This is the answer to the OPs question, BTW. Normally people are pretty shy about telling you about how much of a psychopath they are, but if you're Jewish or Catholic or a white Muslim (racists assume all non-whites are Genetically Muslim for some reason) it pops something in their brain and they just out themselves as someone to avoid in like 30 seconds.

It's a big time saver!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
being an edgy gently caress YOU DAD atheist is alive and well on Something Awful so long as you find a way to couch it in leftist/anti-Nazi language I guess