Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Aardvark! posted:

it'd solve one problem but it wouldn't solve the one of hick family members pulling their guns out and offing grandma on accident at the party

sorry I thought that was the confetti shotgun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Tip posted:

sorry I thought that was the confetti shotgun

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

Port of Miami 20071208
Marc Averette, CC BY 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Cruise ships seem very Americana.

- Not built in America
- Not designed in America
- Not crewed by Americans (well, not from the United States, anyway)

Seriouspost: you're right.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

From the Pocatello Idaho Museum of Clean

Can you guess? Well can you?

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

not my pics but i did go here once. On the Mississippi river.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Aardvark! posted:

check out this place

Where is this and is it still open?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Dear Watson posted:

From the Pocatello Idaho Museum of Clean

Can you guess? Well can you?

A squeegee? A broom? A feather duster?
WHAT WILL IT BE??!!

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
So my parents visited in the late 70's and took some snaps, some of which might suit this thread.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

lil bip posted:

So my parents visited in the late 70's and took some snaps, some of which might suit this thread.

oh man...those freakin' vans!

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

A few more!

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Lazy Robot posted:

Yeah, he gives all his videos awful clickbait titles, but they are mostly wholesome videos of people being really happy to hear their native language from an unexpected source.

As a native English speaker it's kind of sad that I'll never really experience that. Otoh, it's all the better for being the one doing the nice surprise.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
The fact that he learns dialects so fast is the best part for me, like the Chinese-new-year vid was him going to town after loving around with Fujianese for like a week with a friend who was DECENT at it, just asking "what's the word for 'candy'?" and then, poof he's asking street vendors for candy and fireworks and they're like "OH. MY MAN!"

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
This is pure Americana

https://youtu.be/hmoDYCyB5kM

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Awesome!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

hell yeah, that van is hot poo poo. and i bet it was *always rocking*.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I wish I could go to this store:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

These pics are great time capsules.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Edit:
This must have been 1978.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 2, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I wish I could go to this store:

I guarantee you there is a Red Wing out there where an employee sells Elvis memorabilia and isn't shy about doing so on shift.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

zedprime posted:

I guarantee you there is a Red Wing out there where an employee sells Elvis memorabilia and isn't shy about doing so on shift.

Sign me up for a pair of blue suede 2240s.

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

Yeah all of these pics are from 1978.

My Dad made a deal with Mum that if she quit smoking, they would go see Elvis live. Then he died on the shitter. So they went to see his grave instead.

And went to Vegas

And Oakland for whatever reason

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm "Burlesk"

(Was that the proper name of a show or what)

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

So did they drive across the entire country? Or take a bus? One picture is in NYC, one in Memphis, Tennessee, and one in Oakland, California. Those are all pretty far apart.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Mister Travalena, Mister Fred Travalena
Mister Fred Travalena, won't you quit?

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

Gutter Phoenix posted:

So did they drive across the entire country? Or take a bus? One picture is in NYC, one in Memphis, Tennessee, and one in Oakland, California. Those are all pretty far apart.

They drove down from Canada through Oregon, then I think got greyhounds the rest of the way starting at San Francisco.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lil bip posted:

And Oakland for whatever reason

I’ve seen that blue house. I think that is still there.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Found my novelty vacuum-shaped pen going through a drawer and was reminded of my visit to the Vacuum Cleaner Museum (pictures are all from google though)

Gaffe
Mar 22, 2007

Willie's didn't make it, even with the non-smoking restaurant but they rebranded and tried a fresh new look.

Willa's didn't make it either.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Gaffe posted:

Willie's didn't make it, even with the non-smoking restaurant but they rebranded and tried a fresh new look.

I think his mistake was only making the entrance non-smoking.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Friend posted:

Found my novelty vacuum-shaped pen going through a drawer and was reminded of my visit to the Vacuum Cleaner Museum (pictures are all from google though)

Vacuum cleaner museum? I mean it makes sense. But,
Vacuum cleaner museum.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Outrail posted:

Vacuum cleaner museum.

I guess you didn’t see the statue of Big Don from Idaho’s Museum of Clean

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
I don't think I've done a post in here about the Americana of Townes Van Zandt.

Townes was a dude very, very, VERY troubled in many ways about many lovely things in America and the story Americans told themselves long before our current self-hating zeitgeist. He wrote a lot of things from the 1970's (including a track called Pancho and Lefty that was covered several times over the coming decades), all the way until the 1990's.

Townes straight up drifted around the US, living in and playing in dive hotels and bars until his his demons caught up with him on New Years Day 1997. To this day he still has a cult following among Songwriters, Musicians, and Fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmBiNrOeMlQ

This one is predictive of the opioid crisis, 40 years before it happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4zfEkKs2ZM

spookykid fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 3, 2021

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

spookykid posted:

I don't think I've done a post in here about the Americana of Townes Van Zandt.

Townes was a dude very, very, VERY troubled in many ways about many lovely things in America and the story Americans told themselves long before our current self-hating zeitgeist. He wrote a lot of things from the 1970's (including a track called Pancho and Lefty that was covered several times over the coming decades), all the way until the 1990's.

Townes straight up drifted around the US, living in and playing in dive hotels and bars until his his demons caught up with him on New Years Day 1997. To this day he still has a cult following among Songwriters, Musicians, and Fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmBiNrOeMlQ

This one is predictive of the opioid crisis, 40 years before it happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4zfEkKs2ZM

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world, and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that."

~Steve Earle

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Outrail posted:

Vacuum cleaner museum.

I heard the vacuum cleaner museum really sucks!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Thank goodness the girl has training wheels on her bike, otherwise she might hurt herself.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Aardvark! posted:

this place makes me uneasy

The fluorescent lighting really brings out the..... character... of the place

lil bip posted:

A few more!

Dick Smothers lol. Could be a smothering dick or could be instructing you to dick some others. Great two way meaning name

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’ve seen that blue house. I think that is still there.

It's definitely still there, I know that street it's relatively close to downtown Oakland. Lotta crack and heroin around those parts these days

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Have you never heard of the Smothers Brothers? Oh shiiiiiit I'm old af

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Have you never heard of the Smothers Brothers? Oh shiiiiiit I'm old af

Nah I have heard the name before, although I wasn't alive when they were a going concern. Didn't expect to see it on a random billboard of a street shot from someone who visited from abroad in the 70s though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Outrail posted:

Vacuum cleaner museum.

I have been to the Kazoo museum.
http://www.edenkazoo.com/museum.php