Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

GABA ghoul posted:

That's not what the numbers are saying. I've talked to them and they say that rural areas are dying pretty much everywhere in the developed world. The MAGA revolution is basically a last desperate attempt to make these places relevant again before they become totally depopulated wastelands and shooting locations for horror movies about inbred mutants abducting campers or whatever

As a rural liver, the more depopulation the better imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Dr. Quarex posted:

there is seemingly a direct and nearly perfect correlation between "people I know who went to college beyond four years" and "people who moved out of our small Midwestern hometown."
Same. I have two friends (a married couple) left in my small hometown who still live there and like it. But it makes sense why they are happy: they have tons of friends and family in the area, and they are fortunate enough to have jobs they like.

Basically everyone else I know left because that last bit about jobs wasn't a possibility.

I still enjoy visiting there (not this year obvs) but I was bored to the point of tears when I lived there because there's really nothing to do.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

TheAardvark posted:

I'm stuck in the city because of COVID this year, so to make up for it I've been loving around on Google maps/reviews. Here are some of the images I've found to fill the small town void.

that looks like this kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsaSG-0U4mU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

That’s the best. Thanks.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

A good 90s memory here, "Americana" = "big dick club"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2B_er2Bm9k

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/u8uoqMC.mp4

enabling the optional audio not really necessary to experience it. that bitch be chuggin ranch. americana.mp4

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

So many stops at South of the Border over the years. That's where the Blenheim's plant is and that's the best ginger ale and I'll fight about it.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Bronze Fonz posted:

It's a cabane à sucre and it's where you eat some pretty amazing traditional food and lots of maple.

Quebec is a combination of the best parts of Canada with some of the worst parts. It's a beautiful province with a ton of history but it is more racist than Alberta which is saying a lot. There's a strong progressive bent to most of the policies of the province but the ones that are bad are real loving bad.

mikerock fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 26, 2020

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

mikerock posted:

Quebec is a combination of the best parts of Canada with some of the worst parts. It's a beautiful province with a ton of history but it is more racist than Alberta which is saying a lot. There's a strong progressive bent to most of the policies of the province but the ones that are bad are real loving bad.

Yeah, we got it bad racism wise as soon as you leave the city. Not if you ask the average québécois, of course, they'll tell you they're patriotic.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
not enough vietnam era vet hats in these pictures.

snergle fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 26, 2020

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Wheat perv Jesus is watching you

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

TheAardvark posted:

what is going on with that huge ball building??

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

snergle posted:

not enough vetnam era vet hats in these pictures.

Here I've included one in this post. It was literally the first image of a person at this place.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Bronze Fonz posted:

Yeah, we got it bad racism wise as soon as you leave the city. Not if you ask the average québécois, of course, they'll tell you they're patriotic.

My experience is somewhat out of date from a personal perspective, my mom's family are anglos from Gatineau-Hull, and I've been to Montreal a handful of times. I loved visiting and was able to use my really lovely French to communicate so didn't really experience the anti-Anglo sentiment that I understand was still simmering in the early to mid 2000s after the 90s Referendum. I feel the anti-Anglo sentiments have been replaced by anti-Immigrant sentiments and dialed up to 11, but that's my impression from the West Coast. Montreal is still the only other place in Canada I would live if I had to leave the PNW.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

TheAardvark posted:

It's actually not relevant to the thread, it's Orange Julep restaurant in (a suburban part of?) Montreal. I haven't been but my wife stayed at a hotel a block or two away on a business trip last year. It's basically a 60s-era French Canadian Orange Julius.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibeau_Orange_Julep

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sega 32X posted:

It's actually not relevant to the thread, it's Orange Julep restaurant in (a suburban part of?) Montreal. I haven't been but my wife stayed at a hotel a block or two away on a business trip last year. It's basically a 60s-era French Canadian Orange Julius.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibeau_Orange_Julep

I did post I was interested in funny poo poo from other countries with a similar feel :shrug:

I love really stupid tourist attractions like this.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

TheAardvark posted:

I did post I was interested in funny poo poo from other countries with a similar feel :shrug:

I love really stupid tourist attractions like this.

True that. As a dude originally from Kentucky, the existence of the Orange Julep was initially baffling to me until I understood the root of both drinks. And the place is like a weird mini epcot restaurant.

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Link to transcription of the sign below

"For just plain, wholesome fun, it's hard to beat the big swing...and there have been a few not so...ahh, I don't think I'll go there, suffice it to say that there has been plenty of friskin' around on that ol swing over the years."

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 26, 2020

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I've driven past south of the border at least two dozen times but never once stopped in

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

TheAardvark posted:

Answered better already but yeah, the orange julep is still there and I really should go at least once just like trying the Madrid at least once. I've only ever driven in front of the infamous dinosaur restaurant, it's got quite the history.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Revins posted:

I've driven past south of the border at least two dozen times but never once stopped in

You should stop there to at least take a piss.

It deserves it.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

If you told me all of the things in this thread were within 25 miles of me I would be like, "yeah, makes sense". drat. Love it here tho.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tell those old ladies to watch out for jared leto

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone else ever stayed at one of these?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lol so many time capsules gonna be dug up and be immediately forgotten again, although I guess that’s the nature of time capsules

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

1redflag posted:

Lol so many time capsules gonna be dug up and be immediately forgotten again

"Wow, what a bunch of old crap!" will be the collective response. All that energy spent in the hopes that younger generations will be thrilled to see the mass produced goods of their forefathers might amount to a few newspaper articles, some listicles, a handful of Reddit threads, and maybe a half dozen Tiktoks.

Edit: Well, this has to count as Americana.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 26, 2020

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

The Moon Monster posted:

Anyone else ever stayed at one of these?

I stayed in one in cali, the inside is just like a regular motel room but the windows are small :confused:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We need to catalogue the contents then seal it back up inside an even bigger box with some 2025 crap as padding, to be opened in 2075 for round three.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

why are the apples dripping wet what the gently caress

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
We are still in trumps America. They are drenched in piss

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

TheAardvark posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3952814&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#top

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Waterbed Wendy posted:

why are the apples dripping wet what the gently caress

I'm the sacred american flag being used as a table mat

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

there's a couple places like this in the Great Empty between places in kansas, one or two of which have the temerity to self-describe as a 'gentlemen's club'.

one of my day trip ideas is to unironically hang out in one of them just to see how weird of an experience it is.

to be clear, i'm not trying to pretend like i don't belong in horny jail for this post. but after seeing both the best and worst of what strip clubs have to offer in four major cities i find myself unable to quite visualize what to expect from one in the middle of nowhere. does it adhere to the small town america standard of "aggressively average, but also overtly sad and lovely" or is it the horrifying tribute to depression and decay that defines "downtown" in most of these towns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Coolguye posted:

there's a couple places like this in the Great Empty between places in kansas, one or two of which have the temerity to self-describe as a 'gentlemen's club'.

one of my day trip ideas is to unironically hang out in one of them just to see how weird of an experience it is.

to be clear, i'm not trying to pretend like i don't belong in horny jail for this post. but after seeing both the best and worst of what strip clubs have to offer in four major cities i find myself unable to quite visualize what to expect from one in the middle of nowhere. does it adhere to the small town america standard of "aggressively average, but also overtly sad and lovely" or is it the horrifying tribute to depression and decay that defines "downtown" in most of these towns

I wonder if they ever pull on a guys weener if he tips them real good :grin: