Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

my grandpas house was just like this lol. gave me some serious flashbacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Milo and POTUS posted:

loaded bake potatoes own sorry

Get his rear end

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Milo and POTUS posted:

loaded bake potatoes own sorry

I bet you're not sorry at all!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Americana email I got from Nextdoor:

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

I was wondering how long it would take to see something I recognized from my old stomping grounds in this thread.

Unsurprisingly, the owners announced that they were shutting down that hotel a few years ago and there was some serious fuckin' outcry from the locals - the same locals that would only use it as a landmark to figure out how much longer they'd have to be on that god forsaken death trap that the state called a highway.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
wjere is it i want to visit

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Aardvark! posted:

Americana email I got from Nextdoor:

It lines up perfectly with your avatar, down to the misidentification of the critter.

Anywho, I just wanted to thank you for this thread, it's a lot of fun.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Listen, I'm gonna come down there for two to three days - I got two jeeps full of weights and I'm gonna spreeeeead out. I'm gonna spread em all out and I'm gonna be liftin weights and eating raw meat for two days straight.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Weka posted:

It lines up perfectly with your avatar, down to the misidentification of the critter.

Trying to get to the garbage can on the right.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

wjere is it i want to visit

Williams, Arizona

https://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/arizona/road-trips/2019/06/14/flintstones-bedrock-city-arizona-opens-final-summer/1447633001/

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Man, I had to look that up. I don't know how the hell that's considered Williams because it's much farther north on Highway 64 in the middle of nowhere. Google Maps actually says it's still open.

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Tex Avery posted:

I was wondering how long it would take to see something I recognized from my old stomping grounds in this thread.

Unsurprisingly, the owners announced that they were shutting down that hotel a few years ago and there was some serious fuckin' outcry from the locals - the same locals that would only use it as a landmark to figure out how much longer they'd have to be on that god forsaken death trap that the state called a highway.

There were four Flintstones/ Bedrock City campgrounds, all of which are closed:

Custer, South Dakota
Williams, Arizona
Chilliwack, British Columbia
Kelowna, British Columbia

My family camped at the one in South Dakota when I was a kid, and it was awesome.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Tex Avery posted:

Man, I had to look that up. I don't know how the hell that's considered Williams because it's much farther north on Highway 64 in the middle of nowhere. Google Maps actually says it's still open.

It closed in 2019.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Gutter Phoenix posted:

It closed in 2019.

It sort of closed in 2019. Jenny Nicholson stopped by there in 2020 en route to buy a giant plush spider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CRXUeTmNtE

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i've shot a bunch of americana photos over the years, here's some that i feel map to the "american experience" directly

naem
May 29, 2011

Nigmaetcetera posted:

It sort of closed in 2019. Jenny Nicholson stopped by there in 2020 en route to buy a giant plush spider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CRXUeTmNtE

the perfect woman

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

ansel autisms posted:

i've shot a bunch of americana photos over the years, here's some that i feel map to the "american experience" directly

These are fantastic!

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Aardvark! posted:

love those pics. 50s poo poo is always peak americana

This twitter account has a bunch of gen-u-ine 50s Americana:

https://twitter.com/Kodakforever/status/1359595146434723846?s=19

https://twitter.com/Kodakforever/status/1359221055517315074?s=19

https://twitter.com/Kodakforever/status/1358506867861975043?s=19

https://twitter.com/Kodakforever/status/1358209337857105929?s=19

https://twitter.com/Kodakforever/status/1357759303189483521?s=19

https://twitter.com/Kodakforever/status/1357480349438267393?s=19

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

BalloonFish posted:

This twitter account has a bunch of gen-u-ine 50s Americana:
https://twitter.com/Kodakforever/status/1357480349438267393?s=19

Enjoy seeing a time when every single item on a diner is expressed in cents

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Aardvark! posted:

Enjoy seeing a time when every single item on a diner is expressed in cents

Even adjusting it for inflation, I would kill for a $5 omelette.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

MrQueasy posted:

Even adjusting it for inflation, I would kill for a $5 omelette.

Same. Many restaurants have realized that breakfast is highly profitable and use it to offset the low margins of the rest of the day. That's why a lot of places like Wendy's and Taco Bell have added breakfast menus. And why we've seen an increase in breakfast prices that is well above the increase in non-breakfast prices. Two months ago, I got Mcdonald breakfast for the first time in 5 years and was shocked at how much a simple Sausage/Egg McMuffin costs.

Even the local diners in the area were charging $9+ for an omelet when I went there the last time pre-covid. The cost of the omelet is probably half that (depending on ingredients) so the restaurants are making far more margin on an omelet than most other things.

Hilariously, pizza is the same way and it's hilarious how much places charge for pizzas at menu price. When I worked at a pizza place 15 years ago, pizzas were a 50-75% margin business. I think their price has grown a little slower than other food items but they are still likely very high margin compared to any burger place.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 10, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sorry, but these are Canadiana.

Fred Herzog was a pretty interesting guy.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Gutter Phoenix posted:

There were four Flintstones/ Bedrock City campgrounds, all of which are closed:

Custer, South Dakota
Williams, Arizona
Chilliwack, British Columbia
Kelowna, British Columbia

My family camped at the one in South Dakota when I was a kid, and it was awesome.

Yeah, the one in Custer was legitimately a cool tourist place for kids in the 90s. Half surprised it closed considering much shittier tourist traps in the black hills have thrived in the meantime.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I would say Canadians have their own unique Americana-once-removed

naem
May 29, 2011

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

ansel autisms posted:

What in the Grover-loving gently caress is going on here?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

5er posted:

a living metaphor for fascism

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

5er posted:

americana

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

5er posted:

A neoclassical Palladian cargo cult.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

5er posted:

Groverwhitehaus.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

in terms of capturing a little piece of something that used to be ubiquitous but has now almost completely disappeared, check out the ceiling behind the dude

stamped tin used to be THE interior treatment, for like 40 years (w/ some time outs for wars and depressions where not a lot of new civil construction happened). genuine whole artistic community of pattern designers, stamping the sheets was one of the cottage industries that would be done in-house in the upper floor workshops of a department store

and it was so ubiquitous, like linoleum, that it largely hasn't been considered especially worthy of preservation, but i think its cool af.

McGavin posted:

Sorry, but these are Canadiana.

canada is america dipshit

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Lawlicaust posted:

Even the local diners in the area were charging $9+ for an omelet when I went there the last time pre-covid. The cost of the omelet is probably half that (depending on ingredients) so the restaurants are making far more margin on an omelet than most other things.

In Southern Kommiefornia we're approaching $15 omelettes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBfQgGIYvzA
It's not an omelette, but still.

There was a place called Dean's Cafe that a friend and I would go a couple times a year back in the 90's. For about eight bucks we'd each get bacon swiss tomato bell pepper and avocado omelette about the size of a car muffler. With a side of hash browns. We never finished it, just too much food. Except the last time we went there. My friend was moving to another state, and we sat there for over an hour, finishing our omelettes for the first and last time.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 11, 2021

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

ansel autisms posted:

Are some of these from Oregon?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Bismuth posted:

Are some of these from Oregon?

yeah, the sahara motel is in jordan valley, the mountain mural is in a portland bar, and the neon church is in the willamette valley somewhere

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ansel autisms posted:

yeah, the sahara motel is in jordan valley, the mountain mural is in a portland bar, and the neon church is in the willamette valley somewhere

I think that bar is where Loretta Lynn and Jack White filmed "Portland, Oregon" but I can't find the video any more.

edit: WOW, my memory was way off. Ignore me.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

5er posted:

The Confederate White House under construction, colored, circa 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Ah,yes, the old TWA terminal at JFK. I used to fly in and out of there on my way to/from college. Gorgeous, but by the late 90s it was pretty clear that it had not been built with the actual future of air travel in mind. It seemed perpetually crowded.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, they turned it into a hotel. I had not heard about that. Pretty awesome.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 11, 2021