Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hasturtium posted:

Breeding for derived traits that define a breed is always delicate work, and reputable breeders try to balance that. Puppy mills are shitholes that are responsible for a lot of ongoing misery and genetic disease affecting breeds, but they are persona non grata at pet shows.

Cat breeding mirrors that, more or less.
There aren't really any legs to stand on when brachycephalic cat and dog breeds are enshrined in show criteria. The goal is to cripple the offspring, in a cute way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Milo and POTUS posted:

whast so clever about it
Buncha dad's asking "how did they get a Nike sponsorship?"

There's a bunch of Nike Parks across the country, I assume the sites were really easy to clean up while leaving the buildings for park maintenance storage and workshops, or even small museums at some of them.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TheAardvark posted:

hard and hearty [biscuits]
Or as I like to call them, mistakes. Or chewing gum bread.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Hmm, I can probably get some with shell and all.
That's not what raw means. Peanuts as most people know them are always roasted.

You'll know when you've found raw peanuts when the bulk sign has "fer burlin" posted on it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The UP Michigan mines were salted with Cornish immigrants who had worked in similar mines in England and a pasty is basically a perfect mine lunch so they caught on with the whole population. You can find pasties basically anywhere UP Michiganders might have wandered, so all of Michigan and most Michigan border states.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'd be screwed. My dick would never compare to the county's largest ear of corn.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The real american dream is a bar that is a trailer prefab where you feed raccoons out the front door and buy weed from the staff but they also let you kiss ladies and gentlemen of various skin complexions.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
American gravy assimilation is top notch. Posting from the capital of eating bowls of gravy with things in

This is just one tradition of gravy assimilation out of many more.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Woof Blitzer posted:

I went to a meat shoot at the Elk’s club where you had to shoot a target with a rifle and the best score got the best meat.
At least that's somewhat skill based. Back home we had "turkey shoots" which was paper target shooting with shotguns and whoever had the most pellets hit bullseye won a turkey or a ham. Being a shotgun it's all chance (there was a limit on how tight your choke could be) after pointing it in the vicinity of the target.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tiger Crazy posted:

I want the go to a crawfish boil. Do people eat the corn and potatoes or is that just for show and to soak up some of the juices?
All the vegetables are for eating including the ones that shouldn't be for eating. Because people like different vegetables this usually turns into a big round robin where you go around getting the veggies others didn't eat because they think they aren't for eating.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Crawfish is great and Oysters a la Horizon are fine but drat I'd kill for some mussels. All the frozen ones I have access to are always super gritty.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I suppose crawfish are a common bait.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Aardvark! posted:

you're right, we should be calling them crawdads
Crawdad is my father's name. Please call me crawdiddly.

CPL593H posted:

I figured it was novelty thing for Japanese people who want to try American junk sort of like the way weebs can't get enough Pocky and Japanese candy.
I think at least a few of those things are made right there in Monterey and imported into the US anyway.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
im thinkin about thos sea beans.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There were a lot more restaurants back in the day that wouldn't sit you if you weren't in a coat.

Dress codes barely exist today outside of ridiculous dinner clubs. The place you gotta wear a blazer to are like the gimmicky exceptions instead of half your night life choices. Plenty of places the maitre'd gonna give you the stink eye but they gonna sit you and sell you 10x margin drinks anyway.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CPL593H posted:

I'll bet that was mostly so they could have a list of arbitrary reasons to refuse service to certain people.
That's certainly what it's turned into now (in extremely obvious dog whistle ways like "no white tank tops" instead of anything so complicated as a dinner jacket) but I'm pretty sure they just had a sign out front saying "no n*" in the time period I'm thinking of.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Are there ever just aplets or just cotlets? Or can you get 1 aplets and cotlets?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Letting employees eat the fish cracklings and track home bonemeal on their clothes seems unamerican. Those are valuable co products to sell to the cat food factories.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
6 heads of garlic is a nice salad to accompany your meat slab.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BrigadierSensible posted:

This makes me think, given Niagra Falls straddles the border between the US and Canada, which side's authorities have to deal with corpse clean up?
IIRC there's a cove sort of inlet carved out by the drowning machine whirlpool and it's on the canadian side. It tends to be where it will spit up large things that have fallen in like your barrel or your arm attached to a piece of barrel.

E. Being where you want your barrel to come out it's also where the cops set up to arrest you.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
re. bar name chat does anyone else have these awful inn pun bars, I only really remember them from where I grew up

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I remember as a kid in the 90s flea markets already being 75% knives and t shirts they obviously stole from an import container or maybe bought from a wholesaler. I guess the difference now is any body can just order it direct from Ali. Intense copyright infringement Tazmanian Devil energy at every booth.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'd rather have a nice country wine than the pineapple catpiss that comes out of non-traditional wine climates.

Sometimes the stars align in the great lakes or east coast and there's a vintage that rises to the very most average of wine the likes of that coming from climates made for it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My favorite wine americana is a north american wine pest so thoroughly decimated european wine production in the 19th century that just about every old world wine had to be grafted onto resistant north american roots causing a crisis of identity for appellation obsessed french and italians that exists to this day. Its only champagne when it is champagnese grapes grafted onto american roots planted in champagnese soil, everything else is sparkling wine.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you want southern food and don't have your own meemaw you should just like eat at a Popeyes or something.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Milks expensive.

If you do a desperation jiffy mix without water it comes out pretty close to Cracker Barrel. One cornbread trick they don't want you to know.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

uber_stoat posted:

in Louisiana we have Natchitoches meat pies which are empanadas but they changed the name so they could market them better i guess. good stuff though.
In my experience nachitoches meat pies are so named as a warning that they aren't gonna be as good as an empanada. A good empanada and you might only need a dash or two of hot sauce as you go, often optional. Never had a nachitoches meat pie I didn't need to bite the end off and pour the hot sauce bottle in.

But good news you can get crawfish pies in hand pie format so you can double fist a kolache and a crawfish pie at street festivals and Jazz Fest.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Aardvark! posted:

i need a new search term for americana places. I've tried every possible variation on "american restaurant" "family restaurant" "country kitchen" "mom's" "saloon" "line dance" that I can think of
House of
Kountry
Road house
Biker friendly
Bar and grill
Bar be cue
Steak house

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Outrail posted:

These posts need a fuckyeahamericanca.jpg thread and a ohdearnoamericana.jpg tag
They're the same thing. Always have been.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

That’s a lot of fuckin raw onion
Oh, for real? I might have some dinner parties to apologize for.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Aardvark! posted:

I've definitely seen the Eeeeyyyy! I'm walkin' here! style of "NYC Pizza" menu.

But I don't think I've seen a california one. Is there somewhere that does that? "Like, Cowabunga dude! These chicken tenders are totally tubular!"

anybody seen one of these? :thunk: im gonna have to start googling it
I think you're looking for Lucy's Retired Surfers Bar.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Don't let silly things like borders fool you, southern Ohio is actually northern Kentucky.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
At least one of these is <10 years old

Bonus to help you put it all together

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The perfect chicken is an orb containing all the requisite mammal parts to just grow, surrounded by as many wings, thighs, and legs as geometrically possible. The body being a minimized orb would probably meet your noise making requirement while we were at it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Deeters posted:

A concrete statue of the animal you're going to eat is always a good sign

Yes, it's a BBQ restaurant in a gas station/convenience store.
Well where else are they supposed to be?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Did somebody say honey pizza?

Aardvark put this in your trip advisor and smoke it

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

goatface posted:

8lb is quite a lot. Mostly cheese? A really heavy dough? Three foot wide?
Got one for a party once and it's really all of the above.

The reason they give you honey for dipping the crust is because they are small loaves of bread at the end of a slice. I like crust a lot but woof.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Everybody knows garages are for endless chest freezers of meat and extra refrigerators of cases of beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Guessing it's a flood barrier of some sort.
Yeah, if you zoom in you can see the high water marks.