Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

There was a UFO themed diner in my town in New Hampshire. I couldn't find any pictures, but they also had pamphlets from the local alien abductee support group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Back in July. I was also sad because their food was great. It was fun taking people from out of town who didn't know what to expect.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Same name, different bar:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

This particular Broken Spoke is a biker bar in Laconia, NH, so more than likely not satire.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

500excf type r posted:

Lol what the gently caress, I assumed wyoming or some garbage

Well, they have bars in Sturgis and Daytona too. I've never been to Laconia during bike week, but this place always looks dead any other time I've been by.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's a calzone.

According to the menu, it was a meat lovers pizza with a second pizza crust on top. $38

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

From http://moyockpizza.com/menu.html

quote:

PAPA G
Double Meat-lovers, Meatballs, with a Crust on Top!

The filenames were Papa G.jpg

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Maybe you've read it, but the book "A Tale Of Two Subs" was pretty dope.

If you liked that, you might also like The Terrible Hours by Peter Maas. It's essentially a prequel to that as it's the story of the Squalus sinking and rescue.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Revins posted:

the chesapeake bay bridge tunnel owns. I've driven back and forth across it maybe a dozen times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRVS4JOa6JU

I managed to time it once that a container ship was going over the tunnel right as I was going in. Driving under a boat is cool.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

You guys wanted some lobstah?

They got tanks of it:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The Bloop posted:

New England Clambake variants ahoy

I have now given myself serious cravings and hunger

I feel like those beers should be Narragansetts if we're going full new england

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Thanks for taking the pictures. I've driven by a few times heading to Georgia and SC, and always knew it wasn't worth my time to stop, but wanted to know how junky the place was.

I wonder what will replace the billboards for the 180 miles in either direction if it ever closes.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Americans love ranch so much that Hidden Valley had to make it without milk:

https://www.hiddenvalley.com/products/bottled-dressings-dips/light-fat-free-organic-and-plant-powered/plant-powered-ranch/

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

A concrete statue of the animal you're going to eat is always a good sign

Yes, it's a BBQ restaurant in a gas station/convenience store.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

You guys like really big, really mediocre pancakes?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Outrail posted:

Vacuum cleaner museum? I mean it makes sense. But,
Vacuum cleaner museum.

Umbrella Cover Museum

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I feel like Western NY has come up multiple times, but no one mentioned the garbage plate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzcCIKelaho

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Here's what I've done to pull images from google maps in Chrome, on Windows. It's definitely the nerdier way, but seems to give a good resolution

Pull up a picture review, then hit F12 and you should get to something that looks like this:

You want to get to lh3.ggpht.com > P > whatever photos you want. These don't populate until you start clicking the thumbnails on the left side. In the list you'll have both a full size and a smaller thumbnail size. I circled the resolution at the bottom. When you find the one you want, right click it in this sidebar, and it'll give you options for copying URL, saving, open in a new tab. Then just send it to your photo host of choice.

I suppose you could hotlink it too since I'm sure google could handle the stress of GBS looking at their pictures.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

Windham County, Connecticut
Area: 521 mi²
Population: 116,782

You've found the Quiet Corner of Connecticut (because nothing happens there).

I'll use this to plug one of my favorite stops in CT, even though it's technically not in Windham county (by like 2 miles). The Traveler Restaurant. Its only advertisment is a big yellow sign on I84 that says FOOD AND BOOKS. It's a diner and huge used bookstore, and you get to take a couple free paperbacks with you if you buy a meal.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I've seen those a lot around New England and upstate New York, but I don't remember any around the parts of Virginia and the Carolinas that I've been in. There's definitely lumberjack competitions up here too.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

dustin.h posted:

We return again to Farmington, Maine:

This was a cool post. I just moved to ME (York County) a few months ago and I love seeing how different things get when you're far away from the shore.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Connecticut didn't allow alcohol sales (except for bars/restaurants) until 2012. One of the arguments against repealing that law was that smaller liquor stores would lose money because they would have to be open 7 days a week to be competitive. Also a bunch of regular "alcohol is the devil" arguments.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Being open on Sundays literally doubled a lot of package stores’ weekend business and they all hired new people, at least in my neck of the woods. Im sure it’s leveled out in the ten years since but it definitely didn’t put a single liquor store out of business.

Yeah, I didn't think it would, but that was the only semi-sane argument I ever heard. I don't remember any stores going out of business in Fairfield County either.

If you can get through the NY Times paywall, this article has some fun lines:

Some Minister posted:

“We live in a society that has no self-control. I’m not saying people shouldn’t drink at all; even Jesus advocated ‘a little wine for the stomach,’ and could ‘turn water into wine.’ But the way our society is these days, I think alcohol sales on Sundays is going to lead us down a very slippery slope.”

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If you're looking for New Hampshire suggestions, do either ##Coos County (the northern tip of the state) or ##Sullivan county (since that seems to have nothing interesting, which this thread loves).

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

my son Rich Killed him at 130 [???]

I think it's either 130 PM or 1300 M (as in meters, which someone with guns would brag about)

Aardvark! posted:

E: oh there's text on the 9/11 board too. i can't read that either :stare:

We Will
Remember
Every
Person (?) Who died on board ?
Every family that grieves
The fire and ash
The last phone calls

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The Providence posting made me realize that New England just fuckin loves hot dogs:

RIP

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Blue Moonlight posted:

Now that is an avatar-worthy hot dog logo.

Here's a better shot if anyone wants to go for it

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

A bunch of the towns in Coos County let you ride your ATV on the road as a way to generate tourism:

Also for the non-locals: Berlin, NH is pronounced BURlin instead of the German burLIN

And this is in Carroll County, but close enough:

This one was posted by the owner:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Outrail posted:

"Dinner"

Blue cheese dressing, celery and choice of sauces.

Does this imply that not ordering the dinner gets you plain, unsauced/unseasoned wings? Does anyone actually order that?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Sgt Chowdown Jr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

Pleasants County, West Virginia

Does everything along the Ohio River look the same? I assumed this was Point Pleasant until I actually read the map