Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Keeping on brand with this thread, it really sounds like this is a booth at a county fair.

This kind of thing was, in all seriousness, one of the big social functions of county fairs way back when. A way for people from different villages and towns to meet each other, since they're usually so far apart and travel so slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The only good British food I've ever had was in pubs. Forget proper restaurants, just get beer with your fish and chips.

Seriously, Brits. If you want a reputation for good food, stop shagging your sheep and start eating them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Or if you live in areas where goats are commonly farmed. I've been to North Carolina and seen goat and lamb in restaurants.

Thing is, the US is rather large. With that size comes an astonishing range of climates and living conditions. You name a plant or animal commonly cultivated for food, it's probably a local specialty somewhere in the US and you'll find it on the menus there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've seen meat raffles in the rural parts of Florida, too. Again: deer, sometimes other game like boar.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/O8uy3pl.mp4

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

no pubes yet sorry posted:

so good. looks like a cesspool but tastes like the peak of the appa lachias. aroooooo

Known in some circles as the dish 'poo poo on a shingle.'

But good chunky gravy on a good, soft biscuit? Heaven.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

No self-respecting southerner has a "grandma"

Now a "mee-maw", maybe.

"Granny" is also acceptable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
We make wine from sea grapes here in Florida.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I have never seen these in the house of anyone under 60. I have never seen a pantry of anyone 60 or over without these.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Man the 80s had a lot of odd sodas, but some good ones as well.

RC Cherry cola tasted like an actual fountain cherry coke it was amazing. 7-Up Gold was kind of a 'spice soda' that I couldn't tell if I liked it or hated it; one of those weird flavors that you couldn't stop trying. But the strangest was Nehi Peach soda at that time had some kind of chemical additive that after you swallowed a sip it felt like peach fuzz in your mouth for a moment. Later that was gone iirc. The chemical probably causes cancer or something.

Fresca. My mom was addicted to that when I was growing up and I could never decide if I loved or hated it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Speaking of old sodas, anyone remember Surge? It was all over the place for a while in the 90s, a lemon-lime drink that turned your tongue yellow, and then it just kind of vanished.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Spanish Matlock posted:

As an American living abroad the first meat pie I had blew my mind. We can't have them because everyone would be dead within weeks.

Shut your lying mouth, chicken pot pie is delicious.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I suspect they offer the New York strip here.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the burning of the school!
We have tortured every teacher, we have broken every rule!
When the principal tried to stop us, we just tied him to a stool!
The school is burning down!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blue Moonlight posted:

I had always assumed “Alien Pizza Planet” was prime Americana in that some restaurant is actually named “Pizza Planet”, predates Disney/Pixar putting it in their movie, and are aggressive (well, no more so than Disney is) about trademarks.

It's a sci-fi skin on American franchises like Chuck E. Cheese.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Literally almost all popular ethnic foods in America are changed from their home countries. Many immigrants that came here didn't have the stuff to work with that they usually do and made substitutions. So many Chinese, Italian, Jewish, Mexican dishes are Americanized.

It's really neat to be honest.

Most of them are also snapshots of cuisines popular in a specific geographical area and time that saw most of the immigration, which makes for some fascinating ethnographic history.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Yeah. Dunno about "American" Chinese food. But there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that most "Australian" Chinese food, especially in country towns comes from Fujian. As opposed to the rest of China.

Likewise, American-Italian food is primarily Sicilian (and to a smaller extent, Neapolitan) in origin. And pretty much anything on the menu with tomato sauce or a lot of meat in the dish is guaranteed to be at least American-influenced.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Cuban bread at least has the excuse that it's made using ingredients that are a bit different from normal white bread - lard or shortening is incorporated into the dough before baking.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Big Beef City posted:

...I've seen this sandwich sold in many other places than Philly. Source: I've never been to Philly and seen that stupid bitch of a sandwich elsewhere.

Same. I'm in Florida, and my local deli calls it a 'Philly rueben.'

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

halokiller posted:

I could feel my bowels already clenching just looking at those pics.

I just had a rancid, bowel-loosening fart out of sheer reflex looking at those.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

uber_stoat posted:

i'll take the chicken noodle soup but waiter, hold the soup.

Looks more like chicken and dumplings, which usually has super thick dough/"noodles" and little to no water. Popular dish in the South.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I lived in Fort Myers for six years.

I still can't tell you anything about it. There is just nothing of interest there and nothing to do.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I've never heard of a white bbq sauce. Is it just mayo? I could imagine Midwesterners dunking their bbq in straight mayo.

It's bbq sauce with a mayo base. It's... odd. Very much a weird little thing of its own. I see it sometimes here in the South.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The only wrong opinion with BBQ is thinking that a dry rub is sufficient. A dry rub can be a good steak or ribs or what have you, but it is not BBQ.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A request: ##Union County, Florida.

Of all the in-person job interviews I've had, the one I had in the biggest town in Union County was the one I'm happiest they never called me back about.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive the ignorant question, but is that common in America? Calling chickpeas "garbanzo beans"?

I had heard of it, but most Americans I have met on my many and varied travels have called them "chickpeas".

Is it a regional thing? A class/wealth thing? Or maybe even a bullshit political thing like "freedom fries"?

It's a regional thing, yeah, mainly in the Southwest. It comes from the Spanish name for chickpeas, so it crops up in places with large Mexican (or in this case, genuine Spanish) immigrant populations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, in all seriousness, the largest employer in Lake Butler, Union county's largest town, is the prison there. It's one of Florida's largest prisons, and it completely dominates Lake Butler's economy.

Jesus, interviewing at the Lake Butler Public Library for a job was depressing.