Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Sentinel posted:

In Houston I was doing some work for a company and one of the jobs was at this older black couples house.
The husband was an old preacher I believe and he had 2 glass cabinets *or curios as he called them.
loving full to the brim there had to have been 500 easy of those Precious moments dolls/ figurines. *except of course all these were black instead of the typical white ones.

Anyways dude had probably 20ish just like the picture you posted. The job was to box and move all that stuff. I remember distinctly holding one and being like "wow this is offensive as gently caress."
I really wanted to ask the guy why he had them or what his thoughts on them were but I never asked.

They not only ugly as gently caress but also pretty racist.
So being made/sold in the deep South checks out

I read once, and am assuming is true, that Oprah Winfrey has the worlds largest collection of antique blackface curios and knickknacks and such. The pictures accompanying the article showed some pretty horribly offensive poo poo - think worse than the ‘Coon’s Chicken’ poster from Ghost World. The thought that they’re still making a lot of it is pretty terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Dear Watson posted:

Turkish delight has dozens of fruits and nuts they add to it I do not believe there are any restrictions on what fruits you may add.

Also applets and cotlets were created by some Turkish immigrants and it says their story right on the box on how calling it Turkish Delight was too foreign for people in the middle of Washington state.

My favorite Turkish delight is pistachio.

When I was a a little kid in the late 70’s/early ‘80’s, they also made Grapelets, which were a little better than A&C, but they didn’t do well and went away.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

That Formica with the boomerang-design on it is really neat.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

The vacuum cleaner museum closed in April 2019, even before COVID. :smith:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Navy beans

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I suppose Canadiana also counts, since this place is in BFE, BC. :)

I’ve driven by it about a hundred times when I used to drive freight for Costco from Oregon to various cities in Canada. Kinda wish I’d have stopped, but I was always in a hurry, trying to get to or from Calgary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Outrail posted:

Are there any super liberal left leaning redneck small towns in nowhere USA? Do the look any different to the rest of rednecklandia?

Arcata, California(not to be confused with Arcadia, which is 700 miles away) is about as lefty as you’re going to find, most likely due to the state university being located there. Drum circles in the town square, places selling tie-die, the whole hippie panoply.

I’m pretty drat lefty, and although the semi-comprehensible stoned-out hippie rhetoric can grate after awhile, it’s a helluva lot nicer place than, say, Fortuna, 45 minutes down the coast, which is largely populated by right wing ex-loggers.