Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Kiwsine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Doc Fission posted:

The American salad creation method of hucking mayonnaise on stuff is baffling but I will say egg and potato salads are pretty alright. German potato salad is best because vinegary stuff is always superior to the alternative, and egg salad is best on a sandwich IMHO.

More importantly:

I had to Google this one and

Oh my.

Lol I grew up in semi-rural Pennsylvania and ham salad was definitely a thing. My grandmother used to make it and it was just as disgusting as it looks. It’s literally just ham and a bunch of mayonnaise. Even today when I go back to my hometown local delis will have it for sale.

In defense of fat Americans and our predilection for slapping mayonnaise on something and calling it salad, you can dress it up with spices and make something pretty good. Curried chicken salad is delicious. But most American cooks, unless they’re South American/Asian descent don’t understand the meaning of the word seasoning.

Relevant Simpson’s clip.

https://youtu.be/kPA90uCyc7A

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 10, 2021

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Bloop posted:

I miss living in New England and going to the Big E : The Eastern States Exposition

It is a SIX-STATE state fair and has a street of miniature versions of all six New England capitol buildings, with cool exhibits and signature food from each state

Go get a baked potato and a blueberry pie in Maine, and some clam cakes and Del's Lemonade in RI

Great poo poo

Man that looks cool as hell. I’ll have to try to go to that sometime.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I have been to not one, but two [animal] pie bingos. One with a cow, one with a goat.

Here's an example if y'all haven't seen this before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhkxsBcQluA

The cow took his sweet time choosing a winner while the goat produced immediately.

The Pennsylvania farm show is a great time.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Bonzo posted:

Calgary is a perfect example of urban sprawl. Do yourself a favor and drive into Banff. And yeah, Alberta is a political shithole right now.

All that I know about Canada comes from this movie.

https://youtu.be/IWpThrDfQEI

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

In Point Pleasant, West Virginia there is a statue of “Mothman” a ridiculous local Appalachia legend of a half man/half moth monster.

They even made a terrible reality show about a bunch of rednecks trying to catch it. Mostly they just ran around the woods at night with lights and cameras.

https://youtu.be/49c0bw76cPw

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

zedprime posted:

The real american dream is a bar that is a trailer prefab where you feed raccoons out the front door and buy weed from the staff but they also let you kiss ladies and gentlemen of various skin complexions.

:911:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

This is a real bar in Wisconsin, I only know about it because of Red Letter Media

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Don’t doxx me bro!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lol there’s a Mission BBQ down the street from me, they’re all over Northern Virginia. The Military/Police worship is way over the top, and I’m saying this as someone who spent 4 years in the Army and now works as a DOD contractor. I mean in the end it’s just a job that people do for extremely selfish reasons like any other, it’s not some mystical higher calling.

But they do have pretty good food.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

This should be on the official Seal of the United States

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Tip posted:

Seems more like a question for Japanese Pizza Hut to answer.

Behold the "Authentic American Hotdog Hamburger Pizza:

Oh God it's so beautiful :911:

Hell just put that on the US flag, I’d salute the poo poo out of it.

It reminds me of an really old gag from The Onion.

https://youtu.be/31JNEVHZxO8

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

BalloonFish posted:

For me (as a non-American - a Brit, no less) those sorts of scenes are peak Americana. A small rural town somewhere flat and full of corn, cold in winter, hot in summer, one main street lined with independent shops ('Drug Store', 'Bar', 'Merv's Diner', 'Byzewski's Hardware Store', 'Chevron Gas') and a John Deere dealership overlooked by a water tower, lined with blue mailboxes, red fire hydrants and giant cars with too much chrome and fake wood on the side parked to the curb/kerb, with a brick courthouse with a civil war cannon and an American flag on a pole at one end. There's something so neat, snug, prosperous and friendly about such scenes when you see them on sunny days preserved on Kodachrome - almost enough to make you forget the litany of bad poo poo that was around in the 50s and 60s...

Imagine my displeasure when I first went to America and found out that those sorts of main streets haven't existed for about 50 years! The first time I actually found a small town which came close to my stereotype it was in Canada!

They still exist, and small town main streets have had a big renascence in the last decade. Near cities a lot of metropolitan areas have grown around them, so they’re surrounded by suburban sprawl, but they’re still there if you look for them. And out in the country there are still a lot of really cool small towns.

Leesburg, VIrginia

Emittsburg, Maryland

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Code Jockey posted:

I... can't recall? Specifically I'm talking about McMinnville's Turkey-rama, I don't remember a porcupine race but man does that sound like classic small town Oregon :allears:

e. it really sucks to me that those Malheur militia idiots and more recently Trump nazis have given Oregon such a bad name. To me, Oregon will always be a vast land full of Red Green type dudes selling homemade wood art and living in the forests in either decaying mobile homes or bizarrely constructed shacks, a land of small diners where perhaps you're rolling the dice on getting food poisoning but it's absolutely worth the risk, a land where it's absolutely dead silent at night except the occasional pack of coyotes awoo'ing at the moon. Small towns that weren't just insular, dying holes full of racists, but just places where people just lived quiet lives, working at the local grocery or the library or the school, and had funny, dorky stuff in their small front yards. Maybe that's just me remembering my childhood with the ignorance and innocence that that implies, but I still miss it so much.

It’s the same with most of rural America. It’s gotten a bad name and everyone thinks it’s just wall to wall MAGA CHUDs and militias. But it really does have its charms, and most of the people you meet are really cool. If I wasn’t forever tied to the DC area because of my career, I would happily move out to some small town near the mountains in a state like Wyoming.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Bloop posted:

This is likely to be a big eye opener to anyone not from the American south but a lot of places have these unusable tables set for ARE TROOPS and it's the most embarrassing performative religious faux patriotism

The last one is at loving chick fil a

LOL it’s the loving worst. Dinning halls on actual military bases will have a table like this, but it’s often only setup around Memorial Day, and its in a special roped off area. But then you go to a Chick-fil-a off post and they’ll have it all year in the middle of the dining room, and people’s kids will be running around it as they scream and throw fries at each other. Most of the time it’s not even setup correctly.

But it’s “4 TEH TROUPS!” so :911:

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 21, 2021

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Aardvark! posted:

what's the deal with the lemon

The table is round – to show our everlasting concern.

The cloth is white – symbolizing the purity of their motives when answering the call to serve.

The single red rose reminds us of the lives of these Americans….and their loved ones and friends who keep the faith, while seeking answers.

The yellow ribbon symbolizes our continued uncertainty, hope for their return and determination to account for them.

A slice of lemon reminds us of their bitter fate, captured or missing in a foreign land.

A pinch of salt symbolizes the tears of our missing and their families.

The lighted candle reflects our hope for their return.

The Bible represents the strength gained through faith to sustain us and those lost from our country, founded as one nation under God.

The glass is inverted – to symbolize their inability to share a toast.

The chairs are/chair is empty – they are missing…………….. (moment of silence)

It’s much more a relic from the Vietnam era and concern over POW/MIA service members, than it is a memorial to those KIA. And the POW/MIA stuff was often tied to post-Vietnam conspiracy theories about the Vietnamese still secretly holding onto US prisoners after the the end of the war. Though a civilian defense contractor/Navy Veteran is still being held by the Taliban right now.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Outrail posted:

American: How to gently caress can anyone live 20 miles from the nearest store? How could you possibly attain the necessary supplies to sustain a life?

Also American: Welp, time for my daily 2 hour commute to the office.

Yeah I get it too, I live in a small but it's a holiday destination so we have two supermarkets and all the usual stuff. But living in some two house town with nothing but sketchy hillbilly neighbours is a step I'm probably not willing to take just yet.

When I was in the Army, I was stationed in Colorado Springs, and one time my unit went to Fort Hood (Which is near Austin, TX) for a training exercise. We piled onto tour buses and did a long rear end drive down through Southern Colorado, into the Texas Panhandle and then Central Texas. We went through hundreds of miles of flat, dry and empty prairie. Sometimes we’d pass tiny towns with a few houses and almost no businesses, other than maybe a half-defunct bar. I’d jump on my phone and Google the nearest grocery store, and often it would be an hour and a half away.

I don’t think I could ever live like that. But I do really like decent sized country towns, where it’s still rural but you have some civilization and basic necessities.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 22, 2021

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Robo Reagan posted:

my extended family lives either in the deep south or PA and absolutely nowhere else. Is PA the Alabama of the north?

I grew up in Pennsylvania and out of the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic states I think it has the most stark urban/rural divide. Pittsburg and Philadelphia are completely different worlds compared to the middle/North of the state. It gets rednecky out there in a weird and depressing way.

There is a larger portion of depressed and hollowed out former industrial and mining towns, compared to say central Virginia which has a lot of really nice small towns that are still vibrant. There are places like Ashland that are almost lost in time.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 22, 2021

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I grew up right up the road from Ashland on Rt. 61 and that entire area is a hole. Anyone who wants better out of life than that area can provide ends up moving and what's left are people who genuinely like wallowing in the poo poo that those areas represent. It's a self-reinforcing downward spiral.

I still have a lot of family in that area but they're mostly younger and grew up in the internet area where you can shut out the world beyond your front door much more easily than I could in the nineties.

drat that’s rough. I’m from Perkasie which is about an hour outside of Philly. It’s an old post-industrial town in a pretty rural area, but it has remained middle class because it’s a bedroom community for people who work in Philly.

But I have extended family in Ashland, and I have been there a few times. My great grandfather who was a Russian immigrant, died there in the early 1920’s after a coal mining accident.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I saw some acquaintances of mine from the military sharing this on Facebook.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Anyway on the lighter side of small towns, my hometown of Perkasie, PA has the oldest Christmas tree lighting ceremony in the country (continuous for 111 years), a distinction they desperately cling to and hype. In recent years it’s actually grown into a pretty big deal, and thousands of people from around the area come for a big old cheesy time.

This year they had to live stream it. And the two dads who usually MC it, had a good time being corny.

https://youtu.be/O9bnkEInT1s

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 23, 2021

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

CPL593H posted:

What's up with all the dick waving between the different branches of the military. I've never understood that. I know Marines are supposed to be the "toughest", but is that even true? Do they have much more intense training and higher standards than the army or it's it just a bunch of grown rear end men with guns being a bunch of mean girls? After all, everyone is supposed to be on the same team to defend Are Freedoms™.

Coming from the Army and now working for the DOD as a civilian, I’d have to say yes the Marine Corps is the toughest overall branch in general. They have the most intense basic training and the highest physical standards. The Army is much much bigger and is more about numbers, so it’s has to have more lax standards for regular soldiers to ensure it always has enough bodies. But it also has elite units like the Rangers and Special Forces that have much higher standards than the regular Marine Corps.

The military day to day though is more like a big dumb bureaucracy than anything else, it’s like if you armed the DMV and gave it some vague mandate to “defend” the country. It’s also extremely diverse both in terms of the service member backgrounds and the wide scope of jobs. There’s everything from intelligence nerds like me to plumbers.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 24, 2021

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

CPL593H posted:

That all makes sense but I still don't understand the pissing contest between the different branches.

It’s exaggerated, and mostly a tongue-in-cheek thing played up for esprit de corps purposes. The branches work together all the time with few problems, joint operations are the cornerstone of the US military. The competition is mainly at the highest levels (chief of staff/service secretary) and is over funding whenever the defense budget comes up in congress.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

withak posted:

I'm the grown man drinking a glass of milk.

SOY BOY SPOTTED!!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lamb is great, and I don’t get it nearly enough. But you can usually find it most places in America. Greek/Caribbean/Indian/Nepalese restaurants will all serve it. When I lived in Colorado Springs, it was more common because it’s grown out there. A lot of places served lamb burgers which are pretty great. There is a decent sized Nepalese community out there too and their restaurants served a lot of Yak.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

It’s kind of straw man version of American food being talked about here. It’s really a huge blend dozens of immigrant cultures. I can walk down my street and get food from at least six different countries.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Found in a news article about some guy catching a 150 pound alligator snapping turtle somewhere in the dirty south

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 2, 2022

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Bloop posted:

Bob's Burgers is still $5.95 and if that place was anywhere I've ever lived it would be constantly slam busy at that price

I always look at those prices with envy.

A gourmet burger like that would be at least $15 where I live.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

They were selling frozen Bob’s Big Boy burgers at the grocery store last time I went but yet there is no information on this product online :thunk:

Unless it’s a Big Bob Pataki Burger, I’m not interested.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

AARD VARKMAN posted:

sorry to bump w/out pics but this guy's YouTube is pure distilled Appalachian americana. He has nearly 1000 videos, including hundreds of mostly fast food reviews. there are just the first few that hooked me. there is one outlier in that he eats spicy food but :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dilo1pUm4eQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPPZCSJ4r_s

Lol I’m absolutely entranced by this. It has to be a joke right?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Pouring chili over random poo poo is the laziest American diner food possible.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Jelly posted:

Is it because it looks like bad barbecued pork, or is barbecued pork really a Pacific NW only thing?

It comes with hot chinese mustard and sesame seeds usually. I've never seen it with ketchup.

You can get it at the grocery stores fresh made in a little tray for like $4-$5 and it's a really tasty snack. You just eat it cold.

My family loved this stuff when I was growing up. Sometimes it would be a lazy substitute for a real meal (like pizza or whatever).

There are different versions of it throughout the country. But it’s all basically just slow cooked pork shoulder with different seasonings/sauces.

Even in Hawaii they have their own take on it called Kalua Pork.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Don’t doxx me bro!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Circle Nine posted:

I'm only like halfway making my way through this thread, so apologies if this has been brought up, but I want to bring up Club Applebee's. From what I can tell, this stopped being a thing about two years ago, and it seemed largely confined to Florida, but I swear I remember them being more widespread at somepoint.

This last guy is me just trying to get some fuckin' apps on the cheap.

Lol I never knew this was a thing. The Applebees in the mid-Atlantic are the dullest places imaginable.

So did they have specific club nights or did this happen after a certain time?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Wendigee posted:

grayest steak with sear marks ever served

It looks like they boiled it and then slapped it on a grill just long enough to give it marks.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

gently caress yes! :911:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

There’s a pizza place in Pittsburgh that’s known for serving cold cheese and toppings on top of what is otherwise a hot pizza. Everyday we stray further from god…

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

AARD VARKMAN posted:

ive seen memorial tables but this is the first full 12-pack e:13? :thunk:

Lol I bet they’ve already ditched the Bud Light.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

This is the ideal American male body. You may not like it, but this is what peak Southern diet looks like.