Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

naem posted:

factories shut down overnight and employees returned to padlocked doors and a sign saying “you’re fired,” and none of those jobs have ever been replaced.

every single one of those now jobless people faced starvation and homelessness with no warning, and anyone who possibly could packed up and left as all hell broke loose.

the entire upper midwest is called the rust belt for a reason, it’s all the abandoned former manufacturing that once employed the entire region’s populous

Most of Detroit's hollowing out started in the late sixties / early seventies after the riots, and most of those people just moved into nearby suburbs.

The factory closings didn't start until later.

Same thing happened in Pittsburgh after school desegregation, hundreds of thousands of people moved out of the city into the inner ring suburbs in the early seventies, a decade before the steel mills started closing.

Deindustrialization is always used as a post hoc justification for why these cities hollowed out, but the hollowing out started during the civil rights era.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

wilderthanmild posted:

Every single one of you should watch this film.

It's a truly unique experience.

"Mousie's getting dick tonight"

I grew up in an area very similar to what's portrayed in that film and the focus is spot on. They're not dumb, they just know that life is short and they're on the bottom of the ladder and there probably won't be a tomorrow, so get what you can today.

It's played off as exploitive but it's a window on how dire life can be in this country for working class people.

Apr 7, 2003

Apr 7, 2003

I want a hot dog now.

Apr 7, 2003

Cool, a mezuzah for shitheads

Apr 7, 2003

You know you're in Real America when the signs only show the seven digit phone number.

That and live bait at gas stations.

Apr 7, 2003

The drop ceiling + fake wood panelling look is going to be hard to beat as far as Americana goes

Apr 7, 2003

Change those sunglasses to aviators and it's absolutely perfect.

Apr 7, 2003

To be completely honest Guns n' Roses still kicks rear end

Apr 7, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Port of Miami 20071208
Marc Averette, CC BY 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Cruise ships seem very Americana. Huge, garish, full of drunk old people pretending to travel the world even though they never get off the boat until back in Miami. Some of the pictures of purestrain Americana food in this thread could easily have come from a cruise ship. Sure, the companies are mostly not headquartered in the USA, which is also Americana as hell - dodging taxes is the real national pastime for people rich enough to buy baseball teams.

A cruise ship is essentially a floating self-contained mall where the passengers get to spend more money on goods and services for a week after paying a huge cover to get in, which is really the height of the American experience if you think about it.

Apr 7, 2003

cult_hero posted:

But it's all designed to cater to the worst of America, those who fear the foreign, crave the familiar, demand excess, and love to be able to show others that they are better. Cruise ships are the microcosm of Americana distilled, with a little bit of norovirus to show what it really all amounts to....

This is also why it's more expensive to visit Disney World's recreations of world destinations than it is to actually just visit the world destination.

Apr 7, 2003

I don't even own a garage. Street parking

Apr 7, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Hate to break it to you, but the structure your workshop is in is not a "garage". Unless this is a "car".

Ah, they finally made a Mercedes I can afford

Apr 7, 2003

Apr 7, 2003

Pasketti posted:

You come here to post Konebel's and all you have is a nondescript ice cream???
Time to dig up some old photos...

I grew up near Knoebel's, one of my brothers kept working there in the summers well into his twenties after he got his degree because all of his friends were still working there.

Apr 7, 2003

zedprime posted:

Tex Mex is a really meta example where it's an american food culture born out of neighboring food culture that has been Americanized on top of again. There is arguably such a thing as traditional tex mex that you can find and eat and it's fairly different from what you get from something calling itself a Mexican restaurant.

It's cool that new immigrants to the US from Mexico actually have a higher life expectancy than Americans in general, but after eight or so years of adjusting to our lovely lifestyles it drops to our baseline.

Apr 7, 2003

Apr 7, 2003

Appropriately American since the 1911 is an oversized, overweight, obsolete gun

Apr 7, 2003

SavageMessiah posted:

That's not a 1911 but everything you said still applies lol

Yeah, I realized after I posted that it doesn't have the 1911 safety but it's some kind of exposed hammer 1911-alike?

e: looks like Beretta m9, nm, lol.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 1, 2021

Apr 7, 2003

Apr 7, 2003

Apr 7, 2003

Prince Reggie K posted:

You can get deep fried perogies and they are amazing.

Please watch the amazing commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5tKIFwZe5w

I moved across the state a long time ago but I still miss Yocco's

Apr 7, 2003

We have the Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe here but it's not the same, and also it's run by right wing lunatics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GadFm4n_yKE

Apr 7, 2003

Apr 7, 2003

Outrail posted:

A buddy and I have processed several deer in my garage and I did one on my own last year. neither one of us had done it before and had no idea what we were doing beyond a basic understanding of food safety. It's really not that hard at all once you get over being squeamish about it all.

A guy I worked with back in 1999 or so did part time deer processing in a property his dad left him

He made enough from deer season work to pay for two nascar race vacations a year and his main job paid another $45K on top of that, which was a huge amount of money in rural PA back then.

Apr 7, 2003

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

As a dirty european, the square layout of some parts of rural America has always disturbed me.
Cant exactly put my finger on it, but every road being straight on this scale just feels incredibly weird to me.

Yeah, anything west or south of Pennsylvania makes me feel sick.

Apr 7, 2003

Grids can gently caress off

Apr 7, 2003

good normal organic intersection growth.

grids are unnatural.

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

Also: Lake Death Butt
turn on your monitor

Apr 7, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

I mean, aside from the goopy gravy in the last pic and the questionable customers there's not a person on this planet that would look at that food and say "Ok alright" after a long day.

I haven't eaten in a restaurant since march of 2020 and I'd eat everything in all of these pictures, including the customers.

Apr 7, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Is that all just jarred minced garlic? :stare:

I'd eat it

Apr 7, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

I had to wait a further 1/2 an hour for the train that dropped me off in what to me at the time seemed like a seedy, run down part of Miami nowhere near anything of note. I was expecting the cool pastel coloured art-deco buildings and palm trees that you see in the movies.

This is the American experience in a nutshell.

Apr 7, 2003

Thinking about those wieners

Apr 7, 2003

There was one Ruby Tuesday in my area and they closed over a decade ago. No idea where they are now.

Apr 7, 2003

$9 mozz sticks. Very sad

Apr 7, 2003

i'll take my hashbrowns scattered sucked and hosed

Apr 7, 2003

The Postman posted:

Oh god those hotdogs just reminded me of this place in Washington, PA called Shorty's Lunch. This guy stands at the window by the grill and lines up several hotdog buns along his bare, sweaty arm while the hotdogs cook. Once the dogs are ready he'll place them on the arm buns and then put them on a plate so someone else can put some slop on them.

I drove down there to eat once since someone told me it was good.

It wasn't.

Apr 7, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

I forgot about Hollywood Video. My favorite thing was that back home, when they tanked, somebody bought their retail space to open a liquor store and repurposed 1/2 of every sign to brand the place as Hollywood Liquor :v::911:

One dying mall here had the Manchu Wok location occupied and repurposed by changing the "chu' to "ny's"

Apr 7, 2003

Mama mia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

AARD VARKMAN posted:

north-central Pennsylvania

My mom grew up in this exact town and it's worse than the pictures show