Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
On one hand, I hate everything in this thread. On the other, seeing this just made me instantly nostalgic for about 50 different moments and relatives and trips to see grandparents and family vacations simultaneously, so maybe I actually love all of it?

Also South of the Border is amazing because I always wanted to go there after seeing it talked up in Jean Shepherd's Great American Fourth of July or whatever it was called, and when I finally went there with my girlfriend we took some pictures and wondered how it stayed in business with no customers and left because we, too, like the Zugzwangs, were concerned about getting hepatitis at the diner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Professor Latency posted:

Of course this isn't a universal experience, just my Midwest poo poo hole
I heard someone talking about not having any time to date a woman who still hung out at her mother's house all the time, and that led me down an introspective rabbit hole where I eventually realized there is seemingly a direct and nearly perfect correlation between "people I know who went to college beyond four years" and "people who moved out of our small Midwestern hometown." Again hardly saying it is impossible to be happy staying in your hometown, but I even wanted to stay there and had to accept there was absolutely nothing there for me

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

limp_cheese posted:

Its a pretty awesome place that happens to be in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin off the interstate.
I hardly think the main road from Appleton to Escanaba is nowhere, donchaknow

:Yooper: :UP: :funnyemote:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Speleothing posted:

Yeah some places in the Upper Peninsula will have second-floor entryways for this situation.
You take that back, the Upper Peninsula is 100% populated by cyborg snowblowers who would never need such a thing

Really I am just jealous my grandparents' house did not have one. Though I assume that was why all the entrances had staircases leading up to them.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Zugzwang posted:

It was fine. How's the Indian pizza? Never heard of such a thing.
The Indian pizza at one of the half-dozen Indian places in my Central Illinois hometown (also home to State Farm Corporate Headquarters, home itself to enough Indian immigrants to have a cricket league in town if you were wondering how we have six Indian restaurants) was an interesting mixed bag. I did not try all the flavors while they were still making it at the buffet, but the "literally chicken tandoori with like tikka masala sauce on naan" was.... ...... well. Exactly as delicious as eating those three things in conjunction normally was. So I can imagine why they stopped because you might as well just put some stuff on the naan yourself

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Hasturtium posted:

I miss laughing at the Yankee Chili Cook-Off, where the winner one year was a pot of ketchup and green beans and every entry is a deliberate travesty.
This is on the largely innocuous side of the Southern Feelings continuum that has some very scary things on the other side

(Boiled peanuts rule though, first encountered them like ten years ago at BANDANA'S which passes for acceptable barbeque I guess)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
They are soggy. For "texture people," yes. My wife loathes so many foods just on arbitrarily not liking their texture, and I have no idea how anyone like her could eat a boiled peanut.

But for those of us who can eat crisp or chewy or squishy foods and it is basically all the same as long as the flavor is appropriate to the texture: yeah, they rule.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

bob dobbs is dead posted:

gatorade was unpopular owing to it being brutally undrinkable until they got it to a product designey person who dumped sugar in it
I can never remember whether Gatorade actually tasted good when I was a child or whether I just really, really thought it must taste good and was never allowed to have any to find out

Because it sure does not taste good no matter how much sugar is now in it

Also V8 rules and I refuse to believe it is not healthy. I mean it sure beats drinking a gallon of sweet tea, which is what I normally do if a small can of V8 is unavailable

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

norton I posted:

Years ago my sister bought a light up baby jesus so she could give it glowing red eyes, something we'd always joked about. The Amazon listing for it was "Replacement Baby Jesus" because so many of them get stolen.
Also an excellent handle

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Proud Midwesterner here who has never liked any potato salad beyond "eh, that is fine I guess," but I have liked nearly every egg salad I have ever had, on at least a "heyyy!" level.

I think coleslaw is vile. Except one kind I had at a rotisserie place in Québec; it was not too bad.

I am not convinced ham salad is real.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I found the aforementioned quote. It is actually seemingly a woman saying it about another woman, which is even stranger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJXI10O_o58&t=894s

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Requiescat in pace

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Someone with the last name Spears, no less. That even beats "Crystal Spear" as far as my favorite spear-based-full-name combination

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Slumpy posted:

leviathan is a unironically sick loving name
There are some names that are absolutely badass but are still too dangerous to name your child in case the physical form does not work out.

Leviathan for an athletic dude? Probably gonna be the coolest person around.

Leviathan on a fat guy? Oh no. I feel sorry for even this imaginary person.

I would love to see the statistics on how people named things like Leviathan, Hercules, Adonis, or similar turn out.

Oh hold on, right, .jpg, a couple from my personal collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

dr_rat posted:

wait myspace still... exists? Dear god why.

Like do people still use it? Who? Again why? So many question!
I am not entirely sure the site still works in any meaningful fashion, but I was definitely confused to find that the link still worked. I took that picture not long after it was written and I remember already being surprised the link worked then

Edit: Glad to hear someone is Happy Fuckers