Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

That70sHeidi posted:

Something I noticed today while driving seemed appropriate for this thread - houses with in-ground flagpoles.

What's that about? My neighbor has one that has a little solar powered light on top so the flag and the marines flag under it are lit at night. Other houses fly the flag and the POW flag, or the flag and thin blue line version, or even one with the regular flag then the Steelers logo. There's so many in ground flag poles here, I counted 5 in a stretch of about 35 homes. On my main route home along a 2 mile stretch there's probably 3.

Do other countries put in flag poles in their yards?!

Late reply but I thought technically you were supposed to lower the flag at night? Googled it and if properly illuminated you can leave it up.

Giant extruded aluminum flagpoles aren't too expensive, it's phallic and perhaps oppressive. Not painting with a wide brush but it seems like it's only common in some sections of the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Getchur Prozac here! We got methadone, antidepressants, cannabis, whatever you need!

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

This truck goes 0->pussy in .5, what's yours?

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

My wife said she was going to make some yan luo bo/pickled Daikin radish. Not familiar with it so she did her thing and made a number of jars.

After a couple of days I am become americana.jpg - the whole floor smelled like farts, straight up. Didn't want to accuse my wife of farting up the house but it intensified over a week. Eventually I figured out it was the radish. Wife claims they didn't smell at all/smell great.

Thankfully had a separate fridge to move them into basement but 2 years later the ghosts of those fuckers linger.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Has someone shared images of the behemoth of All American foods that is Cincinnati style chili?

It's really awesome but you have to be taught like a baby to eat it properly if not born and bred there. Couple drops of hot sauce on the crackers while waiting, sideways dish, the whole thing. It's a controversial food for lots of reasons but it is so unique its not surprising.

When I visit home I can crush a large 3 way and 3 coneys and then crave it. It makes an impression.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Goosey Lee posted:

I didn’t think I could smell thoughts until I thought of being coated in fishdust. :gonk:

I have no further questions at this time.

I visited a very cool antique glass museum in New Bedford Massachusetts a number of years ago and was directly across from a fish processing plant? Not sure on terminology but I'm sure that it fuckin reeked like being punched in the nose then kicked behind the knees.

Can't imagine how anyone can work in that miasma. Totally respect it though, that's heavy duty.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

CPL593H posted:

If you don't mind my asking, how did you end up in New Bedford?

I lived in the riv and new beige for a number of years in my 20s due to the insanely low cost of rent. As a single adult male it's not too bad as far as low rent neighborhoods go.

When I got serious about wife life I knew I had to leave though, the creep of crime from the Flint in Fall River was pushing right against my edge of the neighborhood.

I'll always miss the bodegas and bakeries. Some of the hits: Sam's bakery (the Lebanese meat pie place), jjs hotdogs, the Belmont, the feasts at local churches where you just go dance because you don't speak portuguese.

Both cities have their charms if you are willing to engross yourself in the cultures. Sometimes you have to know you keep your hood down and and just ignore the chaos.

It's been a while since I've thought about that time, I assume they've changed significantly.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

I never went to the big one, I'd go to the smaller ones at a local church. Never any incidents but they were 100% Portuguese speaking and older neighborhood people. Great parties, great food, very friendly despite my obvious out of place.

Those same neighborhood people would buy live chickens and butcher them in the backyard with all the spectacle you'd imagine though, heh.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Tex Avery posted:

I wish more people knew what that song was actually about.

he might be a senators son though, hes def very proud of himself

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

Heh, idiots, that's why I trained my OWN rear end to eat, so it can eat others asses sensually without fear or risk. You idiots.

Imagine how many people eat rear end daily and dr fauci hasn't had to switch from corona to butt talk. Eat rear end

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

also

ohio has some real desolate wasteland vibes sometimes

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

There is a localish flea market here in MA that has your typical tons of Ali stuff, knives, nachos and vhs tapes.

Outside however is a different story - they sell a weekend pass for random people and it's a gold mine of esoteric poo poo. I've purchased everything from framed prints of ancient Japanese books about rural life to giant metal breaker bars.

Haven't been since covid so who knows but it was extremely america for MA, where it's usually just racist and not folksy.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

I'm the fading bud light sign

That place is up there in bad names, simply because it's so derivative

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Where is that?

Raynham flea market:

Not an ssl website because why the heck would it be: http://raynhamflea.com/

Also good idea of what is inside:

https://www.tauntongazette.com/article/20140623/NEWS/140628662

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Oh I know that one. I've been there a lot. That guy Wayne with the big record booth is a complete loving dickhead.

The good stuff is in the dudes with absolutely stuffed vans they make park out by the rear parking lot. Gotten some gems there.

There is one out on the cape too, maybe Wellfleet? Near the old drive in movie theater. That one is much more bougie but its nice if you are out there for another reason.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

so good. looks like a cesspool but tastes like the peak of the appa lachias. aroooooo

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

real deal buttermilk biscuits are super american and absolutely delicious. made with lard though, seriously.

in cheese news though:

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

If I ever found one of those, a quaalude, or an OC80 I would get it encased in resin and display it on my mantle

This is pretty americana: I knew a guy that would go down to florida and would doctor shop and came back with an incredible amount of OCs. So many he got an old gumball / candy machine and would fill it up and people would gamble on if they'd get an 80 or a 20 don't remember the specifics. I think the dude saw it in a movie or something.

Most of those people are dead now, unsurprisingly. I never liked opiates but woo boy! The opiate crisis is America as you can get. Still happening! No end in sight!

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Ben Quebec posted:

But the whole point of savory and sweet is for the opposing flavors to intersect and runaway syrup is the medium in which it does.

Precutting your food is for children or the bulimic

Somehow the quebecois is correct. Lift the cake, add a little, repeat.

Then you have maple bacon, maple eggs, maple eyes, maple legs. Eventually you just move to Vermont and have maple wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

noone outpizzas the hut