Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Monkey Fracas posted:

trawl about on this website fore a while: https://www.roadsideamerica.com/

It's where I found Big Hotdog Man

This fella is along Route 66, and interestingly enough is not the only casting of it on the road. In Illinois (iirc) there's a giant spaceman holding a rocketship that's just this sculpture with a helmet and remodelled hotdog. Also the roadside burger place it's connected to does loving /amazing/ milkshakes.

I think there's a third one somewhere along the route as well, but my memory is failing me.

Also everyone should drive the length of Route 66 once in their lives. Absolutely amazing, and probably the best holiday I ever took.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

bellows lugosi posted:

that reminds me there's the really weird american ideal of what route 66 was, perpetuated by people who were not alive in its heyday at all. idyllic visions of service stops, sock hops, motor motels. reconstructions of things that quite frankly were never real in the first place, meanwhile major sections of route 66 are in total decay, superseded by the modern interstate system

Yeah, in some sections we spent most of the day driving along the side of the Interstate because we were anal about following the older route.

Still was amazing. This was in 2009 though, so I suspect it wouldn't be the same nowadays, especially some of the more rural and poor parts of it.