Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

Devils Affricate posted:

Come on down to South of the Border!*

*not actually south of the border, don't drive too far south!

It is immediately south of the border, in fact

The NC SC border

And it's wonderfully, hilariously terrible. I wish I could have seen it in its heyday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

TheAardvark posted:

It's definitely a mixed bag of feelings. Being raised in small towns makes a lot of the poo poo I've posted give me nostalgia, but my life is unquestionably better having gotten out.

I don't know that I really want to move back, I'm sure it's rose tinted glasses, but it grows ever more tempting now that remote jobs are more acceptable.

If you can make NYC money and live in BFE you've got it made, as long as that slow, sparse lifestyle appeals to you

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

fyi this guy is called Rex and he used to be part of a long gone mini golf course. He's been saved from destruction by developers multiple times due to public outcry and now has his own little fenced in yard in front of a strip mall

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

No one out-dildos the Hut

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

gently caress everyone who does anything stinky on an airplane. Don't spray perfume in an enclosed space and don't drink loving tomato juice six inches away from a stranger

I never see anyone drinking that poo poo anyplace else

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

TheAardvark posted:

Tomato juice isn't stinky. It's delicious. You have inferior olfactory receptors and your offense is noted and disregarded.

Stinky and delicious are not contradictory concepts

I wouldn't eat sardines on a bus

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

Zugzwang posted:

Deep fried pecan pie on a stick is the best. They have to fry it straight from the freezer or else it’ll melt.

Pecan pie is already one of the highest sugar/fat pies, so I feel like the deep-fried version is something they should offer at Heart Attack Grill.

I can't even imagine a more calorically dense food

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

Dear Watson posted:

Go to any state fair. They will deep fry you a whole stick of butter

sure and shots of straight olive oil would be the highest but a stick of butter or a cup of oil don't really feel like food per se, just ingredients

I would eat a fried butter stick though. Probably only once, but I would.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

I miss living in New England and going to the Big E : The Eastern States Exposition

It is a SIX-STATE state fair and has a street of miniature versions of all six New England capitol buildings, with cool exhibits and signature food from each state

Go get a baked potato and a blueberry pie in Maine, and some clam cakes and Del's Lemonade in RI

Great poo poo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

Grimdude posted:

State fairs are such a weird microcosm of capitalism too. Like they're designed for the express purpose of lower to middle-class people to spend their excess income. Pay for some disgusting food that only tastes good for two bites! Pay for a 3D wax sculpture of your hand! Pay for a picture taken with some barnyard animals! Pay to ride the questionable Ferris wheel! Not to mention the dozens of "merchandise" stalls or tents or whatever they set up. It almost seems like any and all of the fun comes from spending money.

If you live in the Midwest, it's like taking all the stereotypes of the Midwest and condensing it into one outdoors event and then paying to participate even though you live it every day. Maybe they're more fun for city people to experience as like a novelty?

I mean yeah it's capitalism but a lot of the fun at good fairs comes from seeing things you don't see every day. Gigantic pumpkin! Ride a camel/elephant/deathtrap! Stunt shows!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

Woop woop

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

]

oh... er...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

Casu Marzu posted:

loving huge muskie at the freshwater fish hall of fame or whatever in Hayward

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

I thought these were cool as hell since PeeWee

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

This game is a crystallization of "Americana" kitch

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

Elephant ears are also called dough boys or just the vague "fried dough" regionally

They're both good, just different.

Funnel cake gives you more surface area crispiness

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

I remember the commercials vividly

They would often start with the introduction
" A building 19 cheap commercial "

And they were frequently sock puppets

https://youtu.be/7VC_5cnd1vs

The second location was called building 19 1/2

Then 1/3 , then 1/4.

I once went to Building 19 1/32

What a glorious poo poo show it all was

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

Trump fans are proof against satire

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

500excf type r posted:

Lol what the gently caress, I assumed wyoming or some garbage

There are a lot of very interesting rural/hunter chuds in NH

And it has nothing on Maine

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

Yeah I lived in NH for most of a decade and there are a lot of things I miss and also many things I still don't understand

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

McGavin posted:

Much like how the Inuit have 40 different words for snow, New Zealanders have 40 different terms for loving a sheep.

This can't be true because New Zealand doesn't actually exist.

I've checked several maps!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

naem posted:

there are two parts of the midwest-

1. places where manufacturing used to be
2. corn

There's also soybeans!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

Waterbed Wendy posted:

chicken-fried burger ham.

Well I know what all these words mean individually

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

Bonzo posted:

I can feel the texture of the crushed ice and can smell Pizz Hut just looking at that.

Same gave me flashbacks to when going to pizza hut felt like a big deal as a kid, and you bought soda by the pitcher

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

Aardvark! posted:

wtf? That shits thinner than a tortillã

Lack of pizza rules is a double edged sword

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

LifeSunDeath posted:

Pizza Sovereign Citizens

My red checkerboard tablecloth has a gold fringe, motherfucker

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

Bonzo posted:

Years ago I stopped in a place like that in some random small town. It was 5:30pm, the place had about 6 tables, all full of people eating, wait staff serving food, cooks cooking, etc. As soon as we opened the door, everyone stared at me and then cashier yelled, "Sorry! We are closed!"

Are you a minority

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

doctorfrog posted:

I guess "no bad neighborhoods" was too subtle.

The target audience is extremely dim, yes

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

Casu Marzu posted:

It's cuz the line cook getting $7 an hour doesn't care enough to clean the rims of plates before they go out

Also because the waitress (and let's be real the server is a woman there) carried all the sides piled on top of the food on the way to the table

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

Odd posted:

is no one going to explain what a botato is

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

5er posted:

What in the Grover-loving gently caress is going on here?

a living metaphor for fascism

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

LifeSunDeath posted:

I miss Sizzler

Same but Ponderosa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

Ultra Carp

CPL593H posted:

I never understood why burning a flag as an act of protest or whatever is bad but then they also "retire" a flag by burning it. Either you can burn the loving thing or not.

Not defending flag worship weirdness here but surely you are aware of the concept of context?

There are many, many actions that are extremely bad and wrong in some circumstances that are good and virtuous in others from crossing the street to killing another human being