Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This is likely to be a big eye opener to anyone not from the American south but a lot of places have these unusable tables set for ARE TROOPS and it's the most embarrassing performative religious faux patriotism

The last one is at loving chick fil a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

Tourist sits down at an empty table, carefully tucking the comically large flag themed novelty napkin into his collar before noticing the room full of wall eyed stares.

Was zum Teufel machst du?

Aardvark! posted:

lolling imagining Mr. Bean picking up the lemon slice and looking around smugly before biting down on it

:laffo: this is the content I crave

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aardvark! posted:

what's the deal with the lemon

It's an old tradition dating back to the first political parties in America. It's all explained in detail at lemonparty.org

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My mom grew up in Punxsutawney and left in her early twenties and hadn't been back for 40 years until someone died

She said it was worse in a lot of ways, performatively rural, when before it was just actually the sticks. Definitely willful ignorance trump country now

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive me if this is a rude question. But what do you mean by the bolded part?

People wearing extra big cowboy hats and chewing on stalks of wheat? Peppering conversations with "Y'all"s, ""Howdy stranger"s and "You aint from round here are ya boy?"? Does it also mean they are performatively conservative/racist/homophobic/xenophobic as well? Or something else?

Again, sorry if this is a stupid, or rude question.

No it's not stupid or rude and I could have been more clear

When she was growing up in the 50s it was rural in the sense that her family was the only one on her street that had indoor plumbing. People had outhouses. She did not see a non-white person until high school. People ate possum and bear and poo poo because they just hunted that stuff and there wasn't a supply of much else, certainly no seafood or anything. It was a one horse town. It looked NOTHING like the city shown in Groundhog's Day.

Now it looks more like that, they have national chain restaurants and supermarkets and it's just like everywhere else in a red county, but there is still crushing poverty and a massive opioid crisis.

But the people she interacted with ACTED more "country" than they did when she was in high school with them. People used to have guns because that's just what you did, you hunted. Now they have guns because WHERE YOU FROM BOY. They never had confederate flags because they're in the loving north, but now they're everywhere because the redneck lifestyle has taken hard hold. People had much stronger accents and played them up at her.

People in rural places have been intentionally pitted against urban folks so those in power have a scapegoat for why their lives suck and a lot of them buy into it HARD. It's not an "act" exactly, it's a choice to concentrate and rarify a certain type of ignorance and revel in it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BrigadierSensible posted:

Thank you for the explanation.

So kind of "country" as an act of self-identification, as opposed to just living out in the country.

Yeah and everything that comes with that. Performative ignorance, bigotry, etc

NOT saying all rural folks are ignorant bigots, far from it. But these types idolize a false idea of what it means to be rural and that involves guns, rolling coal, thumping bibles, and saying the n word. Essentially the people that "chud" has been used to describe recently.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

The word everyone is looking for is "cosplay".

Cosplayers are playing

Even the civil war guys take that poo poo off and go home eventually

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol that's like a midsize SUV at best

Not that your observations aren't correct, mind you

also lol that your drivethru menu is tiny text and not a hundred big screen TVs with full color pictures of all the food

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 23, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thanksgiving dot jpg

:shrug:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

withak posted:

I'm the grown man drinking a glass of milk.

Very America

My chud boss only drinks whole milk and heinekens

(Not together)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

more like

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Many years ago when I was driving from NH to AZ, I stopped at any tourist trappy thing that wasn't expensive, especially in the boring west-of-the-Mississippi states

This included the Petroleum Museum in Midland Texas (home of presidents!)

It was actually really cool despite being a barely-disguised advertisement for the fossil fuel companies that funded it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't remember about the toyl spill but lol

Friend posted:

also lol at "facts and fantasies about oil and gas"
FACT: OIL IS VERY VERY GOOD
FANTASY: CLIMATE CHANGE

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

:munch:

Trash Can V Garbage Bin.

Wastepaper Basket

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yikes! posted:

Lamb is definitely eaten at Easter, but I rarely see it on menus outside of that.

1. Jesus was the lamb of god
2. Eating his body is holy
3. Therefore

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yikes! posted:

Ok what is the single way white people make lamb that’s really bad

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

How the gently caress are none of those butter lambs???

I think the second one is just a frosted puppy

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

When pigs fly

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Beef City posted:

They don't do lobster tanks anymore do they?
At least, I don't think I've seen one anywhere in at LEAST 15 years or so.

I'd like to think it's an animal cruelty thing, but I'm guessing they just weren't profitable? Or maybe they're still extant in parts of the country that I'm not in?

I mean every Red Lobster still has one. It isn't a big novelty any more.

I know a place with a lobster CLAW GAME where you put in $1 or something and if you can get a lobster they will cook it for your dinner

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Beef City posted:

Well no, I mean like every grocery store used to have them not just a 'pick your lobster and then we'll cook it for you' type place.

Yeah that used to be a lot more common, but I think it probably turned out to be an unprofitable fad. I can't remember the last time I saw that at a regular grocery store either

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

This except mine is really short only 20 feet specifically made for the area I go to. Its way simpler than this so I can use it from the shore, instead of needing a rowboat. They are legal in MD with a cheap permit and I should probably just get a crab pot already lol. But yeah its a crab noose.

I've only heard the word SNOOD to refer to a beard hair net

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Deeters posted:

You guys wanted some lobstah?

They got tanks of it:

God I loving miss Newicks

There is nothing like it

Once got three lobsters for $20

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We didn't do crawfish growing up but "clambakes" which are very similar:

steamer clams
maybe mussels or quahogs
potato
corn
kielbasa or linguica or even just good hotdogs
onion

a lobster if you were being really fancy

it's ALL for eating and it was the goddamn best

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
New England Clambake variants ahoy

I have now given myself serious cravings and hunger

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Grinders are GRILLED or TOASTED subs/ heroes/ hogies

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I suppose there have probably been posts that were more wrong but I ain’t ever seen one.

Fight me in the parking lot of the d'angelo's

I'll be holding the del's lemonade and eating a johnny cake

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

That’s a Philadelphia definition. In New England we don’t make that distinction.

Yeah well in my neck of the woods in the 90s people did

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

Southern Mass or Rhode Island?

Rhode Island

Actually literally Aquidneck Island, in fact

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Whether for a hot dog or a lobster roll, the New England style flat side bun, grilled, is the very best vessel

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They had really good clam strips.

Like, for a chain restaurant in a landlocked state.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Code Jockey posted:

I thought this was when you'd have someone or multiple people lined up on a wall and you'd throw a ball at them

or am I thinking of a different homophobically named schoolyard game

This just sounds like some variant of dodgeball.

The smear "game" in my experience was just attacking whoever had the ball to make them jettison it and then you grab it and run like hell

I said the thing in elementary school but I had no notion that it had anything to do with sexuality, it was just a vaguely forbidden word that rhymed

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

Isn't it a violation of the flag code to leave it out at night?

It can be out at night if it has its own spotlight on all night.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah you fly a banner so that people know you're home.

I just hang a sock on the door

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

I tape an "x" on my window with duct tape

the sex-files

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

America did not invent baby diarrhea

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

Tater tots are just where French fries go to die.

Tater tots are heaven, confirmed

The thing is, the best fries are better but fries are way easier to gently caress up so the median tot is better than the median fry

When I was growing up there was a console war between calling them tater tots or potato puffs

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aardvark! posted:

Snacking on croutons? that sounds like heaven

I have bought big bags of croutons to crunch. A lot fewer calories than chips. Very tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Play posted:

I've never even heard of scrapple and I'm American. Looks like an east coast thing

I was aware of it growing up in RI as a curiosity that I would :pwn: at in certain grocery stores. I never knew anyone irl that admitted eating any