Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Collapsing barns are a big thing here in Michigan. There was some dumb deconstruction law that you needed to have a contracting license to tear it down. When they need a new barn, they just cut through the supports of the old one and let the elements collapse it. Not usual to see a brand new silo / animal enclosure a few dozen feet away from one that's at a 45 degree angle.

Bonzo posted:

¼ cup of baking soda
1-2 teaspoons of mild dishwashing detergent
1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution

Trust me.

This man knows his stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

Also Texas. Redneck Heaven. They celebrate someone’s birthday by whipping him with a belt.

Girls are way too good looking to still be from that town. That dude has more money than you think.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

LOL, this pic brings back so many memories. I always loved to try new restaurants, but they always had the same decor of "random outdated pop references and antiques" nailed and strung up to wherever the eye can see. I swear when one of these places goes out of business, they just put it all in a giant crate and give it to the next guy opening a restaurant.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
All of my friends’ parents had bar basements! They were there for social reasons, but everyone kinda discovered that the house where they played poker was the only one that actually got used, and being the guy who owned that bar got expensive pretty fast.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

youre dick posted:

My friend's house was that house. The first time i puked, at age 14, was at his house, we decided to drink his dad's Yankee Gold vodka. They were immigrants from Poland and he bought it by the case

The first time you ever puked was at 14 :confused:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

BrigadierSensible posted:

Re garlic:

Not American, but the best Garlic is black garlic. I lived on an island off the south coast of Korea where they grow/make it. If you eat it raw, it's softer and has a more subtle flavour than normal garlic.

They also make black garlic juice. And on the island's annual Octoberfest party, they make garlic beer. (Which is just cheap beer with Garlic juice poured into it.) Tastes like soup.

They sell this at higher end grocery stores. Was in one last week and thought about picking it up. Didn't know about eating it raw. I'd hope it's more subtle than fresh garlic's OH GOD THE PAIN

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There's decent plant protein that apes beef iirc, like the Butler Foods soy curl stuff.

Speaking as someone who hasn't been cooking meat at home for years now, it's probably best to just learn to enjoy plant base foods on their own instead of trying to chase meat analogues.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Just to be clear, the sixer was for the first sentence, and not the second?

The second I completely agree with. There are some new-ish vegan foods that were made to try to replace the staples... some of them are actually pretty tastey, but they are in no way a substitute.

Honestly, weird vegan foods that come from years experimenting in a lab is actually modern Americana.txt

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

mds2 posted:

I'll have the Big Gene.

Extra funny to me because my brothers name is Gene and he a big dude.

I'm the sign that tells people you cannot come back with an empty cup and get a free refill :(

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Times have changes since we used to just slide our foot under the bathroom stall wall.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

SirPablo posted:

At the 10:40 mark, is that a massive slathering of mayo on the underside of the top bun?

Either egg or cheese. He puts it on with a spatual and the spatula comes away dry.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Porfiriato posted:

I'm not normally one to cast aspersions but i gotta question how you can do not one but two posts full of Golden Corral pics without including the most americana.jpg part of all, the Chocolate Fountain:

Just in case it's not clear for our foreign guests in this thread, friends, that chocolate is in motion.

Fondue pots/fountains are actually Swiss. some of them use cheese.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

Don't know about Europe, but America can definitely say its still got some racially themed product names.
Uncle Ben, Aunt Jemima, Mrs. Butterworth.
There are probably others.

Gone now, because of Millennials :911::yeshaha::911:

Lots of wines are produced from fruit other than grapes. You never hear about them because they don't fall into the same categories as grape wines. Like a dog breed that isn't in the agreed upon list for show quality.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gutter Phoenix posted:

PAAS my egg whole

I saw one of these yesterday and legitimately wished I'd had a kid so we could dye easter eggs together. :(

Then I remembered kids are alot of work and money and got pissed at my brother for not having a kid so I could just be a cool uncle instead. :mad:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Detroit may be unique in that it's the only economically healthy city in recent history that was just wholesale abandoned due to demographic shifts.

There was no massive flood or economic devastation, no famine, no pestilence, no war, people just heard that schools were being desegregated so they moved nine miles away to Oakland County. It's wild.

The Detroit metropolitan area is home to 3.7m people and a $267b/yr economy. They all just got up and went to other school districts and left Detroit proper to rot.

Both sides of family are from Detroit. Both sides left the city after the riots. It was really the triple whammy of rising crime, insane interest rates on loans/mortgages, the ability to get insurances, and some of the worst political leadership in the country that lead to the mass exodus from Detroit. My grandparents decided to move when there was a guy killed by automatic fire gun (either an Uzi or a Tommy gun, depending on which of their neighbors you believed) at one of the bus stops, and none of the cops would even show up.

After the riots, the cost to get anything done sky rocketed, and there wasn't really anything Detroit offered to make it worth staying, so all injection plants left for Dearborn, the concrete plants left for the Northwest, the scrappers, smelters, and forges either moved closer to the oceans or just lost their shirts altogether to a rebuilt Europe, Russia, and Japan, and we even lost our shipping yards to Chicago's much better planned management. Those were the fatal blows that made it go from a metropolis with a segregated populace to a Scooby-Doo ghost town. Continued mismanagement made sure Detroit stayed that way (with a handful of exceptions).

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tip posted:

guess I'll stick by the rocks and tall weeds since the rattlesnakes stay away from them

:confused:

:lol::lol:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

That's a perfectly acceptable plate, with the exception being the mostly eaten mozzarella sticks/ poppers. That man has no business flipping them off.

Harold's looks pretty bottom of the barrel, but their prices match that. I respect the more frugal of us.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

LifeSunDeath posted:

Ok this isn't a bad idea, every year for xmas and thanksgiving I make a cheeseball and it's basically the same thing but more creamcheese and almond.

It sucks so much that awesome food has calories. wtf God

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bouillon Rube posted:

Construction-grade mayonnaise

Tuna Stucco > Tuna Salad

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bismuth posted:

our HOA doesnt let us park in our driveway so we have to keep our junk inside the house instead of the garage :argh:

wtf?!

You can't park in your driveway?!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

uber_stoat posted:

my sister's husband got the vaccine early because of his BMI. he's a 6'4 jacked up weight lifter.

There's literally a check box for about a dozen different things. I feel like even if you check it or not, it doesn't really effect your odds. They also never require any documentation that you have any of those conditions. I'm technically not obese, but I checked the drat box anyway. Maybe I just look really fat :(

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

uber_stoat posted:

yeah, i've always seen chicken fried steak as being hammered out but i guess maybe some people don't do it that way.

it's better that way, but lotta places are lazy and will just roll multiple thin pieces at once with this pokey rolling pin thingie. Dunno the word to describe it

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Man, the last few restaurant posts have had post-covid prices. I ordered a cajun chicken sandwich, some onion rings and a pop from my favorite diner not too long ago and it was $16! Granted it was an American sized portion of food, but jeezus christ!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
These would have looked better 20 minutes ago when they were still hot.

As for songs? Probably a poo poo load of Christmas songs and the New Years song that everyone knows the tune to but not the words. That's pretty American, but we've spread that far and wide.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tip posted:

in american schools they teach us all this song:

jingle bells
batman smells
robin laid an egg
batmobile lost it's wheel
and the joker got away

You forgot the first verse:

Batman's in the kitchen,
Robin's in the hall
Joker's in the bathroom
peein' all over the wall

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

Miss susie had a steamboat

The getting away with technically not saying bad words song

I know this from being in a camp ground next to the womens' showers, and two girls sang this non stop for 20 minutes.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
That kid preparing his cheeseburger gives me flashbacks.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Fresh produce is not Americana.

Now, everything in that photo except the tomatoes can easily come from a jar or a can. The tomato is also served with minimal preparation, which is also a very American thing to do. The customer may have specifically asked for NO CILANTRO, in which case the cilantro makes sense.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bismuth posted:

When I went to memphis the offerings at the grocery stores were pretty poor, the grapes were squishy, everything was a little wilted, and the fruit all looked a couple days past its prime. It was weird. States that dont touch an ocean are weird

Depending on what chain you went to, your mileage may vary.

There's a massive squeeze right now for grocery stores between high end retailers (whole foods, etc), subscription stores (costco/sam's club), and all the dollar stores. Some of the grocery chains end up buying only what's left after the first two take their pick, which sometimes leaves them with really sad produce when the growing season is not in its prime.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

This is the truest most depressing Americana.jpg, because I've witnessed this happening 4+ times in real life.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Southern barbecue places often add a couple pieces of white bread for reasons I don't funny understand (wiping up leftover sauce maybe?). Don't understand it here at all though.

Onion, pickles, and white bread are pallet cleansers for different types of smoked meats.

...but most people use them to make sandwiches.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The eating with small bites to curb your appetite is a real thing. Your saliva is the first step in digestion. I would tell you to chew your food as biology intended, but this is the :911: thread, so biology can kiss my 'meriken rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

LifeSunDeath posted:

I know a guy that got his head bashed with a plastic pitcher like that. He deserved it.

How the hell would that work? My mom had a pitcher like that when I was a kid, and we used to drop it and it'd bounce all the way across the kitchen. It's made a weird stretchy plastic that has a ton of give.