Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

When there were five in the bed and we all rolled over I said nothing, because I would not fall off.

Robo Reagan posted:

up to 75% of african americans and 90% of asian americans are lactose intolerant

Lactose free milk exists and honestly they should make all milk products lactose free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

When there were five in the bed and we all rolled over I said nothing, because I would not fall off.

I find the pills donít work particularly well as pills. Iíve had luck grinding them and adding them as a powder during cooking.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

What is ďAmericanĒ gravy?

Yeah I mean American gravy ranges from like sawmill pepper to giblet mushroom to like Cajun stuff to even seafood based stuff . We make a large diversity of gravy in the states.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

Itís really locational in the US. If you live in an area with Nigerian immigrants for example you can get goat.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Goat is pretty good, I wish it was more readily available.

Not many people eat tongue either. I miss cold tongue sandwiches on light rye.

Yeah thatís my big miss from being able to take a train into NYC pickled tongue deli sandwiches. You can get tongue in the south in more rural grocery stores. Iíve also gotten tongue and roasted head meat tacos in taquerias in rural areas with immigrant farm workers.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

Benny Harvey posted:

Is roasted head meat anything like head cheese?

No. Basically they roast the head for a long time and then pull the meat off the face / head. What I had was in a street taco.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

Lamb got a bad rap historically in the states because there because period of time where it wasnít lamb it was mutton being sold as lamb at the grocers, and it wasnít even good mutton either. But that would have been like in the time of most of threads grandparents or great grandparents.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

I like bbq boar. boar taint ainít no thang.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

Weka posted:

Does the crab just stumble into the noose, like it's not baited or anything? There must be a heck of a lot of crabs there. Do you mostly catch them by the pincers?

This thread is just confirming for me that I need to do a food tour of America.

Some people take a turkey neck and tie it to a thin rope. Throw the neck into the water, crab grabs turkey neck. Pull crab out of the water and put in bucket. Repeat until crab bucket is full. Used to watch kids do it when I lived in Baltimore.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

Collapsing Farts posted:

There are? Maybe out in the wastelands of the countryside I suppose. I live in Stockholm and I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

Reading up on it it would appear to have been a thing for Norwegians back in the day;

I think you are missing something here; there are Norwegians and then there are Norwegians same for the Swedes, Finns and Germans.

The Midwest Scandinavian ethnic groups do a lot of things that the Scandinavians donít do anymore.

I mean Norwegians do things like eat lutefisk in WI and MI, thatís basically died out in Norway.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

Careful they can transmit leprosy. Also if you ever catch one by the tail turn the feet away from your body.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

I grew up in Venice. Florida and old Florida especially has its charms. It also has its racism. For an interesting drive take 301 instead of 75 when driving up and down on the gulf coast.

If you do... Donít speed. Really.

I got married in a local park with a event building in Port Charlotte on the water. I grew up futzing around in a trailer park on the Myakka. The festivals and parades in Venice on the island are very Americana. I did so many flag ceremonies during parades growing up. The original planner for Venice island was John Nolan who was under Frederick Law Olmsted. I think Nolan also planned Longview, WA

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

Ivars Acres of Clams

https://youtu.be/uUANmtaY1lQ

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

I like auctions, especially the rural ones with food.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

Maíam maw.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

"We have so much poo poo, just endless piles of it! this means we are really good at making the best poo poo" - yet another proof the American mindset makes making good cheese impossible.

The best beer and cheese and wine are coming from the US right now. And more cheaply and accessible than from Europe.

Hell beer and wine alone, WI by itself has got the whole of the continent beat.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

I mean I guess when you spend your whole life eating chlorinated chicken and HFCS infused everything else, it's bound to lead to some combination of sensory and generalized neurological damage.

Bet the notion of protected geographical origins is just out of frame, laughing too.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

nah it says its really from champaigne right here on the label this is a real bottle of the real deal

It was smuggled into champaigne by criminal gangs from the Netherlands and is actually protectionism of inferior quality.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

Weka posted:

I would have thought Wisconsin was on the cold side for wine production.

Ehh meant cheese.

There is a reason that WI has the best cheese too, CA and NY. The basing point for milk prices is Eau Claire. The further one is from Eau Claire the more ones milk sells for by law. CA and NY have never let this be changed and it would take a law to change.

So milk is cheaper to buy in WI but the farmers canít make as much money as farmers in CA and NY selling it. Hence the cheese value add.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

Dreddout posted:

Not knocking WI, just seems to be extremely archaic legal practice

1930ís it was a depression response. Milk prices collapsed and farmers were going bankrupt. Most of the milk over production was coming from WI. Hence doing the basing from there to discourage WI production. Then CA and NY just never let it be reversed.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

This thread should watch nomadland its Americana as all hell.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

Brain In A Jar posted:

I have a question Ė why did meat pies never take off in America? They seem perfectly suited, it's hot meat and gravy in a portable container that you can eat while you walk or drive, what's not to like

They did ( just not everywhere ) pasties are a thing in / around Duluth.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

Waterbed Wendy posted:

There's the Australian Bakery Cafe in georgia where you can get authentic meatpies. We used to go in the summer and see shakespeare in the square in marietta square. They were always delicious and I had never had anything like them before, they also sold australian candy and soda. A lot of fanta flavors you couldn't get anywhere else besides australia I assume.

Can confirm good pies there. Savannah also has a kiss rear end pie shop: The Pie Society

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

When I think cruise ships, I don't think America.

As a matter of fact, don't most cruise lines specifically not set up shop in America for tax reasons? So it's more Americana to be a cruise line in a different country to avoid taxes than to be actual Americana.

Most of their real headquarters are in Florida. There is the nationality of the company, where the actual poo poo is run (Ft. Lauderdale for several of them ) and then the flag states of the vessels ( BAH, PAN, LBR, etc).

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

If Canada counts then have this pic I took

I once saw an old man in the Villages try to drive his golf cart into a liquor store. It wouldnít fit though the doors and the clerk asked him to leave politely. He drove off angrily screaming ďIíll have you fired!Ē

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

...well did he?

No idea. But I told my dad who was a liquor lead in another store down the road and this was neither a shocking or surprising anecdote to him.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

Iím big fan of a quick sautť in bacon fat. Collards are great.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

Play posted:

Do people even eat those anymore?

Succotash is definitely Americana.

And now Iím thinking about butter beans too.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

lil bip posted:

And Oakland for whatever reason

Iíve seen that blue house. I think that is still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 21, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Must have been a drat fine cup of coffee there. Did they have pie, too?

Twedeís does have good coffee and pie. Lynch set Twin peaks in North Bend for a reason. When itís nice itís Elysium. Mountains on three sides. Blue sky, rivers meeting. Hint of weirdness. Herd of elk that occasionally passes right through town. CCC lodge turned into the community center on a nice park. Wide open and beautiful.

When itís not nice the clouds descend like a lid pushing down into a bowl. They swirl rapidly between the mountains (little si and big si). Eventually this goes all the way to ground and you canít see much other than your own house, alone trapped with only your immediate family.

Itís a weird place. Out walking once we met an old lady who insisted on blessing my children. There are long time residents who go by, Peg Leg, Long John Silver, Walking Man. Once walking along the river (like a baseballís throw from downtown) I saw a tall thin blonde woman bathing naked in the river. The head of Nintendo occasionally measures things around town when he visits the distribution center near town. You can find old signpost trees in the woods. About once a year the terrain or animals kill somebody hiking. And kids do die occasionally jumping off that railroad bridge.