Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Not really small town, but this thread reminded me of a tourist attraction from my hometown:

Featuring the world's largest wurlitzer organ.

Request a song and maybe they'll even have some cats dance along.

Experience it with this guy who describes it as "American eccentricism at its best".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ3w7tdh5to

I spent a few birthdays at this restaurant, I mainly just remember the dancing cats and that the organist knew every song ever. When I expressed my amazement my dad said, "He doesn't know everything! Try requesting some Cosmo Topper!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Little known band that my dad loves.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pgoFY8V_0SI

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

isn't frozen milk basically ice cream

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I took this photo a couple years ago.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

norton I posted:

Years ago my sister bought a light up baby jesus so she could give it glowing red eyes, something we'd always joked about. The Amazon listing for it was "Replacement Baby Jesus" because so many of them get stolen.

I think it's probably because you normally buy a complete manger set, so if you're only buying one piece it's a replacement. You can probably find replacement sheep too.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Mustard potato salad is awesome. :shrug:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

TheAardvark posted:

Depending on the size/permanence of the fair, there is nearly always a ferris wheel of some type and maybe some ride a carnie put together yesterday that probably won't kill anyone

If you think that's scary you should see the carnival helicopter rides, and I don't mean this:

I mean an actual, literal helicopter that's maintained and flown by carnies. $20 to get flown around the carnival for 5 minutes.

I went on a date at a small carnival in Texas and there was a helicopter pilot flying like a psycho, flip flopping around and flying very low over the crowds and rides. We weren't even on the helicopter and we were terrified and thought we were going to die. We left immediately.

All I could find was this terrible video of a central Florida fair helicopter ride:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjPfau0bnaE

And some photos of a man absolutely loving his ride at a fair in South Carolina:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Picnic Princess posted:

Speaking of Calgary, don't just go to Banff. Go to Drumheller too. Best dinosaur museum on the planet. That's where this guy is too. You can climb a staircase up through the leg and belly and hang out up in it's mouth.

This made me think, "Oh, I've been in that dino's mouth."

Turns out he's actually based on this other big dinosaur with a staircase up to its mouth.

Which is, of course, at a creationist museum. Americana as gently caress.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I don't know if I've ever had an elephant ear or funnel cake, but all this talk of fried bread is making me want Navajo bread. I grew up in Arizona and it was always a delicious treat with a little honey, and also great as a Navajo taco.

I haven't had it in 25 years but just looking at that makes my mouth water.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Goosey Lee posted:

Here’s a fiddle made from the jawbone of a mule:

The Museum of Appalachia in Tennessee holds this and hundreds more intriguing artifacts from increasingly long ago, like Casey Jones’ The Devil he found in a walnut tree:

(Please do *not* touch The Devil)

From the same museum:

The tag is hard to read but it says:
CHILD BRIDE
"Saved by the Sheriff"

Also this:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

sliami posted:

why the bed

Meth head = death bed

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The_Franz posted:

i remember teachers getting really mad about kids not standing for the pledge. i don't recall if anyone ever actually got in trouble for it, but apparently forcing people to say the pledge has been illegal since the 1940s as the supreme court ruled that it violates freedom of speech. i doubt anyone actually knew that as you couldn't just google this stuff back then

Around 3rd grade I decided the pledge of allegiance was dumb and refused to do it. The teacher got really mad and yelled at me and cajoled me but couldn't get me to do it.

I told my dad about it and he suggested that I should stand up with my back to the flag, put my left hand on my chest, and speak gibberish.

I did that once and suddenly the teacher was very receptive to the idea of me sitting through the pledge quietly like I had been trying to do.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Benny Harvey posted:

E: do you remember what gibberish you said?

No clue.

Also you guys had it easy, my grade school principal regularly made the school listen to the entirety of the Boot Scooting Boogie.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

ARMBAR A COP posted:

https://internetkhole.com/ It's a bunch of old photographs that have been scanned, and it encapsulates life in America in the ~80's. It can sometimes be :nsfw: so keep in mind you might see a boob or two.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Pug Rodeo posted:

I grew up in SW MO, which has been the influence on the photos I’ve posted so far. I’d float the Buffalo River a lot and had to drive thru Harrison to get there. Always an adventure.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

But can we get the chicken wings into the crust somehow, and maybe use the pizza itself for a burger bun? These are the hard questions america is willing to tackle. :thunk:

Seems more like a question for Japanese Pizza Hut to answer.

Behold the "Authentic American Hotdog Hamburger Pizza:

Oh God it's so beautiful :911:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

LifeSunDeath posted:

I miss Sizzler

Sizzler still exists, you can find their nearest location on their site:
https://www.sizzler.com/

Up until very recently there was a Sizzler near my house, and a woman I was dating insisted that we go there because she hadn't been to one in decades and she was nostalgic.

I said ok but predicted it would be both depressing and disgusting. Turns out I was right!

I never had any nostalgia for Sizzler because I loved Bonanza as a kid, and my Bonanza got turned into an inferior Sizzler.

Nothing more Americana than a buffet steak restaurant named after a Western TV show.

Edit: lol that there were multiple Ponderosa/Bonanza posts while I was writing this (they're the same place).

TIP fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 11, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Suspect A posted:

Yeah, I used to pass by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiles%2C_Texas (population 4). Reading about the history of that area was pretty interesting.
the only building that's not a trailer.

This kinda reminds me of the tiny town in Texas that my uncle used to live in. Not even really a town, an "unincorporated community" that peaked in the 40s at about 200 people and now has a quarter of that.

My sister and I walked around there and found an old one room schoolhouse hidden inside a thicket of trees. It had no roof and there were trees growing through it but it was still full of old school desks.

It looked really cool, unfortunately this was 20 years ago when you didn't carry a camera with you everywhere so I have no pictures.

I looked it up on Google maps hoping someone else might have taken some pictures and uploaded them but there were only 2 for the area:

I did manage to find it on Google Maps, it was a little hard to find a building that's completely engulfed by trees but it was helped by there only being like 5 roads. I managed to get street view shots from both sides of it.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I prefer the subtle insanity of BEST.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

It was probably thought up by a flag tycoon looking for ways to boost revenues and get people to buy new flags.

"Oh your flag is torn? Well it would be unpatriotic to keep flying it in that condition!"

"Your flag touched the ground, if you don't burn it and buy a new one you hate America!"

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tarkus posted:

I'm the kind of person who reads newspapers from the last 70 years for fun every day and I've never seen or heard of this company. These are some of the most brilliant storefronts I've ever seen, super loving cool. Where did you get these images from?

I had never heard of them myself or seen any of their stores and when I learned about them it felt like I'd stumbled onto something from an alternate universe. There were 169 (:nice:) stores across 23 states and they didn't go out of business until 1997 so it seems like something that would be more known.

I got the pictures from the architecture firm that did all of their buildings, the very cool SITE (Sculpture in the Environment):
https://siteenvirodesign.com/content/best-products

There are some pictures in there that I didn't include, and you can find even more if you Google around. It was a very interesting company, worth reading up on.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Palpek posted:

Those BEST buildings are actually fairly well-known to architecture history. We're talking 'you may be taught about them at universities in European countries' kinda well-known.

Yeah, one of the buildings I posted supposedly appears in more 20th century architecture books than any other modern buildings.

It's part of why it felt so odd to learn about it, it feels like it should be common knowledge but I somehow missed any and all references to it for a long long time.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

colonelwest posted:

I saw some acquaintances of mine from the military sharing this on Facebook.

Everytime a soldier gets blown up an angel gets its wings. :911::angel:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

BalloonFish posted:

And no amber turn signals, just red ones shared with the brake lights - why, America, why?

It's great because if you've got a broken brake light you can just pump the brakes and pretend like it's a turn signal.

I had a friend in high school that had a broken brake light for seemingly forever, and anytime a cop was behind him and he had to use his brakes he'd do this and immediately take a right turn. You'd think the cops would be suspicious of no brakes being used to turn, but it worked. :shrug:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Just ran across an article about someone buying a box of slides at a Dutch flea market and discovering they were mid-century photos of Alaska.

They put it all up on this Google drive and it's pretty cool.

Here's a few pictures I grabbed from it.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Bismuth posted:

my loving god, imagine sitting for a modelling sesh and this is what the artist produces

I used to model for a first level life drawing class and most of the drawings were worse than that.

A couple people kept drawing me with the proportions of a grizzly bear and it started to gently caress with me.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I find the pills don’t work particularly well as pills. I’ve had luck grinding them and adding them as a powder during cooking.

I recently found out that if you grind up two of the pills and put them into a gallon of milk you'll have lactose free milk the next day. So much cheaper than buying lactose free milk.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this is actually literally how they make lactose free milk

except w cheaper lactases

You forgot the most important step of making lactose free milk, doubling the price.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

There's a Swedish restaurant in Wisconsin named Al Johnson's, who's main claim to fame is that the roof of their restaurant is covered in grass and goats.

They have multiple live webcams of the goats during goat season (sorry, goat season is late May to mid October).
https://aljohnsons.com/goat-cam/

They also have a video that explains where the goats live, how they get them onto the roof, and why they have goats on the roof:
https://youtu.be/jZY9xGd2uaM

When I tried to find pictures most of them came from articles about someone challenging their trademark on having goats on the roof (don't worry, the trademark stands).

The inside isn't nearly as exciting.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Collapsing Farts posted:

As a Swede, this confuses me greatly

Goats are cool though I guess

Why would you be confused? According to the website you should be nodding along and saying, "Oh you mean Sister Bay in Door County?"

In an interview shortly before his death this past June 12, Al Johnson spoke about his goats, laughing heartily the entire time, and what they have meant to his restaurant’s world-wide renown: “It doesn’t matter where I’ve been — and Ingert and I have traveled the entire world — but everybody knows about those goats. If I mention to someone overseas that I’m from Sister Bay in Door County, Wisconsin, they usually say the same thing: “Oh, you mean that place with the goats on the roof?”

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I've seen lots of places that claim some aspect of their restaurant is world famous, but I never would have guessed they'd be laughing on their death bed saying poo poo like, "I've been all over the world and one thing is true, when I say I'm from Harper, Pennsylvania they say, 'The home of the world famous bacon chip pancakes!?', there isn't a corner of this globe that isn't obsessed with my pancakes."

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

CPL593H posted:

I knew it was one or the other because you know what linguica is. I'm in Southern Mass, I raise a glass of coffee milk to you!

Is linguica extra popular there? Because I think it's generally available, my normal rear end grocery store in Oregon always has it.

I had never heard of it though until a Hawaiian girlfriend introduced me to it. Tasty stuff, very good with some eggs and toast.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

This reminds me of armadillo racing, you gotta blow on their ears.

:patriot:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Also I'm pretty sure all those butters are available at my grocery store, so it seems weird to pick your butter dish based on regionality.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Code Jockey posted:

hulk_hogan_restaurant_dresscode.jpg

e. in case anyone hasn't seen it

"This is a beach party and beach attire is required!"*

* beach attire is strictly forbidden

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Blue Moonlight posted:

A bunch of those items were in my public high school dress code as recently as 2004.

They also banned Dickies brand clothing and buttoning only the top button of a shirt to fight the scourge of the gangs of Eastern Oregon.

I moved to a tiny town in Texas in 8th grade and a couple weeks into school I got called to the vice principal's office. He told me that he knew I was a gang leader in Arizona and that I was trying to bring it to Texas, and the proof was that multiple teachers reported me wearing black arm bands.

First off, I don't think black arm bands are a gang thing anywhere. It's a sign of mourning.

Second, I have never worn a black arm band.

I told him that I've never worn one but I do wear black t-shirts, he excitedly asked, "More than one at once!?"

Dude would not let me leave his office until I promised that I would not bring my gang to this tiny town.

When I told my friends about it they immediately wanted to start wearing black arm bands. :doh:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Szyznyk posted:

King of the Mountain was the most violent game we ever played, especially if your mouth caught the corner of the picnic table and you lost a couple of teeth.

In high school they tried to keep us safe by having a prom after party with free food and games all night. One of the games was a giant inflated pyramid that was labeled "king of the hill". Within a couple hours the entire thing was covered in blood.

They also had an inflated rock climbing wall with no attendant. I tried to climb it and it fell over on top of me because no one secured it to a wall.

We probably would have been much safer drinking out in a field.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Snowy posted:

Now that I’m eating too much garlic I want to try this

My dad once got a pizza that had like an inch of garlic on the top, he knew a guy in the kitchen and had it specially made for him and his best friend.

For the next month garlic was just radiating out of my dad's pores, he was a cloud of garlic smell and my mom refused to touch him or let him sleep in their bedroom until he worked it out of his system.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is there some offensive word for tundra I don't know about

BFE is kinda offensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.