Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I don't think we will see any real copycats for the simple fact that a big part of the appeal is the really complicated simulationism of it, down to having to load bullets into magazines which are persistent items that must be loaded into guns etc etc. Doing this kind of thing takes a lot of development time and resources, which makes it less appealing to copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

The gameplay loop of the original Hunt: Showdown mode was at least somewhat similar albeit with a singular objective for the map rather than quests and just earning money to buy weapons instead of looting. There's still the mix of PvP/PvE, getting to an extraction point, and losing your character/their equipped gear when you die.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Is vector good y/n

Also can anyone afford to fire it yet

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Like others have said, this game is niche popular, but it's popular with the right FPS streamers and people like to play what they play. If there were no bigger streamers playing this game it would have never gotten as popular as it is. Not saying i'm not a fan of the popularity at all, but it makes sense why it became popular.

Wish I was playing right now to loot all these AKMN's from the new years gift.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

kru posted:

Is vector good y/n

Also can anyone afford to fire it yet

https://streamable.com/rsyp2i

(9x19mm version)

This was just using PST Gzh. Right before this I iced two other PMCs in level 4 armor. I think you can remain competitive right now with PST Gzh because the high RPM is going to give you a shot at either totally destroying someone's armor or hitting them all over their body. I think you can tell by the way the PMC and player scav I killed in this reacted that they were also surprised as hell when they got hit, but that's getting shot by pretty much any gun in Tark!

Later in wipe you'll definitely need better ammo to remain competitive against armor level 5 and above. But with a super-low baseline vertical recoil this thing is a laser and a good choice early wipe.

Has anyone else been having a lot of questionable deaths since the wipe? I've had a lot of examples of player scavs (generally) just knowing exactly where I am and hunted me down when I haven't moved or made a sound for several moments. I've been playing this game for four years now and have a pretty high bullshit threshold, but I've had some really suspect encounters just in the few days since wipe.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

DrPop posted:

Has anyone else been having a lot of questionable deaths since the wipe? I've had a lot of examples of player scavs (generally) just knowing exactly where I am and hunted me down when I haven't moved or made a sound for several moments. I've been playing this game for four years now and have a pretty high bullshit threshold, but I've had some really suspect encounters just in the few days since wipe.

I think it’s mostly that the type of people who grind tarkov instead of doing things with loved ones for the holidays tend to be pretty good at the game

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Simon Numbers posted:

Is that the streamer that gets away with not having a personality because he's a attractive?

This is the weirdest way of admitting you're crushing on a guy I've ever seen.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Neon Belly posted:

I’m surprised we haven’t seen copycat games take off yet in the same way we did for battle royales.

SovietWomble did a pretty good video on this subject recently. A lot of the wave of survival or battle royale type games we've seen in the last few years owe their origins to DayZ with each taking different aspects from it. PUBG took the pvp aspects while ditching about everything else, tarkov is realistic pvp and survival, rust is base building, etc.

There are a few tarkov style games but none with gunplay anywhere near as satisfying. Deadside is probably closest.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Mae posted:

I think it’s mostly that the type of people who grind tarkov instead of doing things with loved ones for the holidays tend to be pretty good at the game

👍

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Stux posted:

tarkov is like, niche popular, also i feel like a lot of people only watch the game and dont play it

Considering how actively hostile the game itself is to new players i do not doubt this.

Picked up this game because my girl is absolutely obsessed with it. Watched some starter videos, downloaded some maps. Picked one map to start with and get real comfy with - customs (maybe a mistake?). Played for a bit, mostly hiding among the npc the trashmen. Ran a scav game with her, she ends up two shooting my dome 5 minutes in.

"You moved just like a scav! I couldn't tell!" Welcome to Tarkov

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I think a portion of the popularity can also be attributed to the loot you can acquire and the mindset of wealth. I can't think of many FPS titles where there is an economy and you can show off your big dick by being rich. With that wealth comes access to that good gear. You read a lot about people who hate taking stuff into a raid because they could lose it. They even have a term for it: gear fear. So there is definitely a mindset of "I want to gain wealth and not lose it". Obviously you have to get over that, but if you are a good player you can gain a bunch of wealth and always run the best gear, which does give you an advantage. For sure, you can still get head tapped by someone with a pistol, but you can prevent many deaths by rolling with the best armor and superior firepower. If I have money, I can use more ammo than you, a better ammo, and throw more grenades at you. I can get even more of an advantage on you by being a good player and amassing wealth.

Not a lot of games have that and it's something I think a lot of players get attached to.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

My Gimmick Name posted:

Picked one map to start with and get real comfy with - customs (maybe a mistake?)

Not a mistake at all, you'll be spending a TON of time on Customs with early and mid game quests, and overall it's a great map since they expanded it with solid loot and interesting battlegrounds to kill mans and get killed by mans.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don't know how to describe it but the ultra high crispy textures and combat detail is such incredibly well done. None of these elements on their own are big but combined together it's such an amazing force multiplier. The map design is absolutely one of the best.

I will however admit, there's a large gambling component in the game.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

New Woods is insane(ly good). It actually feels like a preserve. It also feels like a Vietnam simulator

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Does it just take forever to join games now or what?

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

DrPop posted:

New Woods is insane(ly good). It actually feels like a preserve. It also feels like a Vietnam simulator

the one time I've played woods since the patch I spawned next to the minefield, walked a little bit, went prone to check a map and got blown the gently caress up as soon as I stood up despite being a good 10 feet from the danger sign

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Gabriel S. posted:

Does it just take forever to join games now or what?

Each raid fully waits for every player before starting in order to eliminate late spawns. It’s a bit annoying but late spawns were worse so I’m ok with it.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

i vomit kittens posted:

the one time I've played woods since the patch I spawned next to the minefield, walked a little bit, went prone to check a map and got blown the gently caress up as soon as I stood up despite being a good 10 feet from the danger sign

making newbies go to the woods for all these low level quests is some real Welcome Bear bullshit

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Each raid fully waits for every player before starting in order to eliminate late spawns. It’s a bit annoying but late spawns were worse so I’m ok with it.

I'm so happy they made this change. The game is much better for it.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Felt medium bad about this one

https://streamable.com/7yh88j

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Big Kobe energy there, nice play.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
some goons helped me do some things like unlocking jaeger and doing some interchange runs, and even though i only have a few hundred thousand rubles, i have more guns than i know what to do with, half my stash filled with armor and tac vests, and helping me get my bearings in the maps. interchange is a mess, but i've run customs enough to actually get a feel for where i spawn in at within a few seconds and survive firefights on my own.

games good, y'all

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

interchange is a mess

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Played in a group larger than 2 for the first time tonight and the game really is completely different than solo; I didn't die a single time in 3 raids. I feel like solo players (or at least me) are a lot less inclined to open fire on 4 people running around which means you pretty much have free reign to sprint everywhere until you run into another squad. The compass is also a great addition for being able to actually call out directions when you do get shot at.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

i vomit kittens posted:

Played in a group larger than 2 for the first time tonight and the game really is completely different than solo; I didn't die a single time in 3 raids. I feel like solo players (or at least me) are a lot less inclined to open fire on 4 people running around which means you pretty much have free reign to sprint everywhere until you run into another squad. The compass is also a great addition for being able to actually call out directions when you do get shot at.

3 is the sweet spot - any more than that and you really need to either be on the same page with callouts and comms or constantly push so hard that It’s obvious that the dudes barreling forward full speed are with the party

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I had no idea what was going on and I got separated once or twice, but even as a noob I was able to not TK the goons who were with me in a 5 stack.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The Power of the Glock 18C cannot be denied.

https://streamable.com/x79rf0

(use it for Stirrup)

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Apparently cultists ARE in the game now:

https://escapefromtarkov.gamepedia.com/Cultists

They look loving terrifying. Jesus.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Hell yes that's awesome. This guy has a video with a firefight with em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1evNqXfYO8

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Sometimes you do very well at Tark 14 raids in a row, sometimes/always your survive streak is ended by you doing something extremely dumb

https://streamable.com/7058m5

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

this has been my favorite wipe yet. questing on new woods has been super fun, and I've been ambushing people poking around the new loot area to great success.

also--took on a 3 man camping factory extract (????) as a PPSH scav, and murdered them to a man. get good, kids.

e. they all had fort redut armor, too, lol

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 29, 2020

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

ShowTime posted:

How's the hacking? Still problematic? I heard the release date went really, really well, with like no issues.

they've added sanity checks and are actively stopping ways to cheat the game

it's far better than it's ever been, they're actually pushed a fix semi recently to combat lagswitchers and easy aimers that is so rigorous it can affect normal people's hit reg

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Just went into a scav run on Customs because I'm a complete noob at this game, I got lucky on the RNG because I got a cool-looking scav character with a dope AK and a halloween mask. I decided to make it to the extract no matter what so I can get this gun and add it to my small collection.

The game starts, I run from all the firefights around me and from any sounds, all the way to the crossroads extract (the furthest one, apparently) and successfully got the gently caress outta Tarkov. My heart was beating hard the entire time, what an odd feeling.

Anyway, when I'm on the item screen I noticed that not only did this scav have an awesome gun, but had also tucked away a labs keycard on his pocket. I had no clue it was there and I feel like it was better that I didn't know :shrug:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ghost of RBG posted:

Just went into a scav run on Customs because I'm a complete noob at this game, I got lucky on the RNG because I got a cool-looking scav character with a dope AK and a halloween mask. I decided to make it to the extract no matter what so I can get this gun and add it to my small collection.

The game starts, I run from all the firefights around me and from any sounds, all the way to the crossroads extract (the furthest one, apparently) and successfully got the gently caress outta Tarkov. My heart was beating hard the entire time, what an odd feeling.

Anyway, when I'm on the item screen I noticed that not only did this scav have an awesome gun, but had also tucked away a labs keycard on his pocket. I had no clue it was there and I feel like it was better that I didn't know :shrug:

:shobon:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Game what the gently caress. I went to Customs as scav to learn places. I shoot some scav assholes, two at least are clearly players. End result: I fix myself on top of a railroad next to a body. Lost 4 limbs and stuff. One guy had a lab card and I thought welp I'm not crawling alive to exit with this "vision" (everything was a bloody mess) so I ditched the card to a bush.

Of course I crawled to the exit. It took ages and I killed one scav which ran right to my drum mag AK... I always kill people running straight towards me. Maybe he tought I was a NPC scav since I was moving sooo loving slowly. RIP him.

Question is, why I always survive when the odds seem to be lowest? :v:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Why would you ditch the card? Just some weird "if I can't get out with it I'm gonna make sure nobody else does either" thing?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Why would you ditch the card? Just some weird "if I can't get out with it I'm gonna make sure nobody else does either" thing?

Yes of course. I was 100% sure I am not getting out alive. There was no chance to stay alive. There was no point keeping the card, why would I want to donate it to someone else?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

owning myself just in case someone dares loot a lab card if i die

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ihmemies posted:

Yes of course. I was 100% sure I am not getting out alive. There was no chance to stay alive. There was no point keeping the card, why would I want to donate it to someone else?

Well you sure made it 100% sure you weren't getting that card lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

stick it in your alpha you goof. even to traders it's good money for a one slot.