Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
https://streamable.com/fc8ppv

i just go here, afk till i hear footsteps, tab back in, and get a kill

extract and repeat, it's just infinite money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

https://streamable.com/fc8ppv

i just go here, afk till i hear footsteps, tab back in, and get a kill

extract and repeat, it's just infinite money

you can't just get kills without a vector

think about it if you stand across from a vector in an open corridor its going to out dps you :pensive:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Toalpaz posted:

you can't just get kills without a vector

think about it if you stand across from a vector in an open corridor its going to out dps you :pensive:

:smith:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

why more people don't use shotguns with fuckshot is beyond me

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

But that's not tactical! :qq:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

On the topic of gunchat, what do people like in the lovely lower tiers before you unlock the flea market and stuff? I've mostly been sticking with one of the seven billion AK variants, but those feel kind of bleh. Generally serviceable, but they have a surprisingly snappy recoil considering they don't seem to hit all that hard. Should I just stick with the chunkier semi-autos instead, or are the cheapo SMGs worth anything?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The mp5 and kedr are okay for leveling recoil control and murdering scavs. Use them to collect mp153s and then use those with buckshot.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Perestroika posted:

On the topic of gunchat, what do people like in the lovely lower tiers before you unlock the flea market and stuff? I've mostly been sticking with one of the seven billion AK variants, but those feel kind of bleh. Generally serviceable, but they have a surprisingly snappy recoil considering they don't seem to hit all that hard. Should I just stick with the chunkier semi-autos instead, or are the cheapo SMGs worth anything?

prior to flea market you don’t have great options, it’s pretty much the best of whatever you have to hand, and frequently that means whatever shoots 7.62 PS, even if it’s an SKS

even once you get to flea you’re probably using various mediocre AKs because 5.45 BT is “good enough” and incredibly cheap on flea, while 7.62 BP is actually good and also not $Texas to run

cheap SMGs are indeed viable, but better at the start of wipe than now, and *much better* if you can spray heads with Pst Gzh (though if you like leg meta time of wipe doesn’t matter much and Quakemaker is PK 2, potentially meaning level 10), but they’re *very reasonable* to run pre-10 (and post-10!) if you keep their limitations in mind

also note that 9x19 AP 6.3 and .45 AP are both PK level 3, which only requires *level 18*, so you can get good ammo to use with the associated SMGs quite quickly in the leveling process overall (and I’ll say that the UMP, while very much not a good gun, is actually a cheap automatic worthy of consideration vs. 5.45 AKs running BT - I’ve been using them as a backup gun when doing Tarkov Shooter/SBIH quests with good success)

LGD fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 21, 2021

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Played my first raid in awhile and died to a Shturman minion sprinting around the silver shed, spotting me with his peripheral vision 50 meters through a bush at night, and shooting me 3 times in the torso with 7.62x51 before I could even scope in. It's like Nikita wants me to uninstall.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Scav AI is so unpredictable at night. Sometimes it feels like you can run right up to them without a reaction, other times they start firing at you from miles away, through the soupiest of mists

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Bohemian Nights posted:

Scav AI is so unpredictable at night. Sometimes it feels like you can run right up to them without a reaction, other times they start firing at you from miles away, through the soupiest of mists

Sometimes this can be explained by a weapon attachment. It seems like they can see a laser or an IR spotlight like it's a flashlight

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Speaking of flea market. I hit 10 this weekend and finally feel like the game is opening up a bit for me. Access to better ammo and the ability to tune the weapons (i still mostly use found AKs) a bit is great.

But what helmets would you guy recommend for in the cheap to mid-budget range?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Trump posted:

Speaking of flea market. I hit 10 this weekend and finally feel like the game is opening up a bit for me. Access to better ammo and the ability to tune the weapons (i still mostly use found AKs) a bit is great.

ssh-68, aka the Penis Helmet is super good for the price. It's only class 3 but it it has a high ricochet chance, which has saved me many many times. I use it unless I need a helmet with optics mounts until I can afford the expensive T4+ helmets.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Bucnasti posted:

ssh-68, aka the Penis Helmet is super good for the price. It's only class 3 but it it has a high ricochet chance, which has saved me many many times. I use it unless I need a helmet with optics mounts until I can afford the expensive T4+ helmets.

hot tip pay 10k extra for the olive drab green or wear a bandana instead lol

e: whenever i see a penis helmet every instinct in my body says that I can kill that guy, its like seeing a potato face. Your mileage may vary but it's shorthand for lightly geared dude, easy kill.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 22, 2021

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Trump posted:

Option 1 - None. Most the time you take a headshot, it won't matter anyway.
Option 2 - SSh-68 penis helm. It's cheap, rarely stolen, repairs well, high ricochet chance
Option 3 - 6B47 Ratnik. Doing the bleach barter trade, it's also very cheap, can mount your NVG stuff if you go that route, high ricochet chance.

It's pretty rare the armor class on the helm saves you from more than scav rounds unless the ricochet happens, so until I'm money flush that's pretty much all I buy. Once I get the cash, I move onto the options with facesheilds, although only about 50% to stop the bullshit buckshot to the face from 100m scavs :)

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Whats the wisdom on helmets with visor then? I'm not a place where i can run it constantly, but I've scrapped up enough that i can do a semi-tryhard run once in a while.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Trump posted:

Whats the wisdom on helmets with visor then? I'm not a place where i can run it constantly, but I've scrapped up enough that i can do a semi-tryhard run once in a while.

The lower end is there to prevent random bullshit deaths from some scav with buckshot or handgun rolling a natural 20 and hitting you right in the eyes/jaw. Anything better than a Kolpak-1S is usable if you are doing budget runs in factory. Just remember that they tend to not be compatible with a headset so people will hear you before you hear them.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Triple A posted:

The lower end is there to prevent random bullshit deaths from some scav with buckshot or handgun rolling a natural 20 and hitting you right in the eyes/jaw. Anything better than a Kolpak-1S is usable if you are doing budget runs in factory. Just remember that they tend to not be compatible with a headset so people will hear you before you hear them.

the good news is that people tend to make a fair bit of noise on factory, and a lot of other people are essentially naked so on balance you're gaining significant advantages over those guys if you're rocking a Zsh-1 or w/e (since they tend to be using buckshot or 9mm handguns) and aggressively getting on top of them

I tend to view that less as "semi-tryhard" though, and more as a considered choice when doing pvp quests via attrition - i.e. a Zsh-1 + class 4/5 armor is highly recommended for "Tarkov Shooter - Part 3" b/c spending the roubles to improve your chances of living long enough to get follow-up bolt action shots is going to greatly reduce your frustration (and very possibly cut down on total expenditure if it improves your survivability enough)

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
No helmet or killa helmet. There is no middleground.

e: Middleground is a shattered mask

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 22, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I've stopped wearing helmets unless I'm bringing in NVGs or I want to wear my full Mando mask on Factory stacks. It's kind of freeing, really.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I usually rock a ULACH because it's stopped a fair number of headshots for me in the past but that's the only helmet I'll buy. Otherwise I just wear what I find.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Probably a minority opinion but I think if it won't drive you broke the Altyn w/ mask is 100% worth it. It'll set you back a few hundred K but it's much more likely to save your life than most other helmets and if it gives you even one extra extract it'll have paid for itself.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I like the 6B47 helmet simply because it's very cheap as a barter and cheap on the flea. It doesn't weigh much, it works with headsets and you can put some NVGs on it. Otherwise, it's on par with any other hat when it comes to people who actually use real ammo.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
Rock the shattered so your dumbass team members can ID you in a firefight

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Lucca Blight posted:

Rock the shattered so your dumbass team members don't wing you in the face with buckshot

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Trump posted:

"The wisdom" seems to be always bring hearing, which excludes most good visors. I've survived firefights a couple of times because my visor ate a shot or two, most noticeable a Kiver visor (class 3) bouncing an Igolnik round, but on the other hand it's impossible to say how many times I survived a firefight because I heard the other guy earlier than I would have without hearing.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I just bought a 78.71€ certificate that says I'm bad with money.

My god what do you guys do with all this stash space?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Malefitz posted:

somehow it fills up with poo poo immediately, alternatively they slowly start shrinking your stash space after upgrading

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

You are better off tossing a Kolpak or Djeta instead of wearing them. They will not stop pretty much any round and they seriously impede your hearing ability.

I'll wear whatever 3+ helmet I have in my inventory. I like the 4+ ones that cover your hears but don't prevent you from wearing headsets. I'll wear a 3+ visor if I'm going to Resort or Factory. If I have an Altyn or Killa helmet/Maska I'll take it into Factory, too.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Malefitz posted:

You'll be real surprised how fast it fills up I promise you.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Malefitz posted:

If you play this game with regularity you're gonna fill that bad boy up real quick. My friends say I'm a hoarder while I think I'm holding on to rigs and whatnot that I'm actually going to use and I've gotta do some serious cleanup every few days. Enjoy EOD man, I've never regretted buying it because of how much I love this game lol.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Malefitz posted:

I have made the same mistake. I assume this stash space is like a flat surface in a shop, instantly covered with junk from a project and never touched again.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

wew labs is unplayably filled with hackers, 6 games out of 12 with BLATANT cheaters, not even just suspicious deaths, but the ones where you just know

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I'm happy labs are there to contain them, since I never go there.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I decided a very long time ago that the only way I was going to make labs profitable was by selling key cards on the flea market. Glad to hear I made the right choice.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
As someone who can barely get through Woods: What is even in labs that justifies the price of the keys?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Lots of high end loot and all the scavs in there are raiders who tend to be much better equipped. The map itself is pretty cool but it's a frustrating place to go. You'll always make it out stuffed with loot if you survive though.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

and labs has no time of day or weather randomness

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

As someone who can barely get through Woods: What is even in labs that justifies the price of the keys?

The price of the key isn't really even a factor unless you're hatchet running labs. Loot of a single raider can cover the entire cost of the keycard - if you can get it out.

The bigger issue than the key card is that insurance does not work on labs.

So you are consigning your entire kit to the void if you die to raiders or players alike. Back when I used to give a poo poo about labs, we'd go in with 4 and of those 4 one dude basically with absolute trash gear with the expectation that they would gear up from the first raiders or PMCs we killed...or much more likely - from a dead squad mate - it isn't coming back so they may as well wear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

FileNotFound posted:

The price of the key isn't really even a factor unless you're hatchet running labs. Loot of a single raider can cover the entire cost of the keycard - if you can get it out.

is is totally untrue, most raiders don't drop enough loot to cover the cost of a keycard, the vast majority don't actually.

some do, that's for sure, but 70%+ don't.

FileNotFound posted:

The bigger issue than the key card is that insurance does not work on labs.

this only matters if your gear is inordinately expensive, which it shouldn't be. high end armor is highly overrated when a rat laying down with flechette can kill you in 3 shots no matter your armor.