Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I have been laid out post surgery for about a week and I started playing this because my brother called it the hardest video game/most likely to make you want to flip the desk.

It's been tough. I have been at this for I think four days ish and I'm about to hit level 12. a few of my buddies also started at the same time and they are absolutely struggling to get past four or five and it's hard to get everyone lined up to play together right now.

I apparently did everything backwards I did a lot of scav runs on factory to just snag kits and then I have been doing money runs on reserve and more recently interchange but I've never been inside. The economy in this game is wildly broken. It's really fun I'm enjoying the high stakes but at the same time, starting midwipe was apparently a bad idea but whatever.

Also I just discovered shotguns, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Toalpaz posted:

i killed a lv 40 the other day running factory with three grenades and a grache :xd:

I know they're just trying to get the grenade quest done but it was fun slowly walking away from the grenades before they explode.

I'm really enjoying this game because of the stakes. There were a few times on woods that I drink so hard when I got shot that I tossed my headphones off my head. Just a few minutes ago I shot a guy in the face in customs while we were both running with the mosin and I was so excited about it that I ran right into a scav and got merked. Not even mad.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
A lot of these lobbies I look like one of only a few people who isn't running an edge of darkness account. Is that just my lobbies or is that just kind of the general state of the game?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I'm having a pretty good time. Woods is my favorite, but I like the sneeky shooty.

I committed what I have found out is a classic tarkov sin of accidentally bringing my entire bag stack into a raid and then immediately getting clapped trying to get out. That wouldn't have been a big deal except for there were four fuel in the bottom most bag and my found in raid flash drives. Agg.

I'm sneaking up on lvl 15 feeding customs all my gear. It's so active.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 28, 2021

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I bought the day before the sale. Womp womp

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
They have been doing server updates today and a couple days ago and think tomorrow night late. They put it out on Twitter and on their website. It's down right now for a few hours.

I'm getting better at this. I think I've had the game for 10 days and I'm level 18 and struggling to kill pmcs with a pistol. But this game is fun I've not had one that got my heart rate up in a long time.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I continue to get straight up whooped in pvp. This is why folks hide.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I absolutely loathe shoreline. It is a garbage map. it is nothing but three funnels in the center and every single task you have to do makes you go through a funnel where there is somebody camping every single time.

I'm pushing on level 20 and I just refuse to do anything on shoreline at this point. It's obnoxious.

Here's a task do one thing on one side of the funnel and one thing on the other side of the funnel. Go around back of the resort? You get annihilated by some walking tank, go around front of resort same thing.

go all the way to the bottom and there's somebody sitting there every single time. I just died seven times in a row on shoreline. seven times in a row on factory I don't mind, factory's fast resets are fast getting to where you need to get or not is fast. But running across loving shoreline and then getting shot because I have to go through a spot where I know somebody's watching but there's no way of telling from where that's pretty much trash.

I get people's complaints, the high-tier armor needs to go away. That poo poo breaks this game. I have it, I can afford it, I can buy it, and I still think it breaks the game. This isn't a get good situation, I'm 13 days into my first wipe and I can put a pretty serious hurting on most people tactically. This is just abject frustration. Every map is just a bum rush to the highloot areas by folks who have insane armor on with insane guns. It's stupid, it doesn't exist in real life, there's no reason for it to be here.

I'm spending the first 10 to 15 minutes of every raid just in a bush. It's the only way I can get tasks done. Yeah I can spam their legs with fleshettes or put an eight round mag on a shotgun and fill it full of AP 20, and I've done that. I have a pretty good kill to death ratio and I have a pretty good survival rate for my first wipe, but this is not the game I want to play. I wanted to play a hardcore shooter with survival aspects. Not some sort of retarded magical armor Pirate game.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 6, 2021

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I started playing this with four other dudes, and other than one who occasionally plays with me when he can, I'm the only one who still plays only two weeks later. I get it.

If you read around there's a lot of people who have a lot of complaints and most of them are about guns or about the Bitcoin farm and both of those are kind of valid because this game just ignores recoil and I can see how that can be frustrating, but really the armor is what makes this game hard to keep playing.

I can move around the space laser bullshit guns, and I can leg somebody some of the time, but I keep losing fights that I have every advantage because the person I'm fighting can just soak up 90% of what I throw at them and as far as I can tell the only reason those folks are playing is to go get loot so that they can afford to feed their space laser guns.

That's whatever. I'm going to go find something that's not on shoreline to play.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 7, 2021

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Toalpaz posted:

tbh there are gun people on youtube who say that recoil on AK's are actually even easier to manage in irl.

I've only ever shot the 7.62 whatever AK variant auto in real life and hipfire it was pretty manageable but at the shoulder it was a mess. But that's not really what I meant. Some guns have a lot of recoil that is an issue and some of them are water hoses and it makes zero sense. For instance I've shot a full Auto Glock. It was everywhere. I had a farm for quite a few years and I have a friend who is one of those GunBroker dudes so I've shot a lot of stuff (+a couple enlistments). It basically breaks down to this: you either get recoil and a bullet that does damage or you get no recoil and a super low velocity bullet. Sometimes you get a little bit of both like with ar variants, but even then, three round burst is generally a straight line up. Auto is best done from the hip.

It's really neither here nor there because I'm still talking about armor.

You know what happens when you take a .38 to the chest while wearing a Marine corps interceptor plate body armor? You get knocked on your rear end and have broken ribs.

it's a video game, it's just a point of frustration for me.

And shoreline. *shakes fist*

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 7, 2021

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

The problem is less the armor than it is the fact that 90% of ammo types for any given caliber in this game are worthless. Which is a legitimately stupid thing that I wish they would address because it mostly only functions as a trap for new/low-info players.
I think this circles back around to the armor thing. It doesn't really matter I was just venting.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I didn't mean never build it, I just think it shouldn't be a high priority for a newer player who probably isn't going to be able to hoover up 25 more graphics cards in any reasonable amount of time.

I have had 2 by level 20, haha.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I think I'm about done with this game for a while. Just hid in bushes to get through my shoreline quests, but now it's just factory and dorms. I'm 10-0 on factory right now. Can't get any further without getting through factory.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 8, 2021

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I am just going to exit camp everybody for about a week. I think that's just going to be what I do. since there seem to be so many people who want to exit camp me I figure I'll get a couple of them over a week and maybe I'll get some of my long shots done. (Not really, but come on)

I mean really. If I'm exiting with the bag full of trash, nothing if I have anything decent there's always somebody there perched up waiting. Manhole on reserve is the absolute worst.

Anywhere on shoreline is the second

I get a few good runs, a few good deaths and then trash.

95% of this game I really like the last 5 though is absolute poo poo.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 10, 2021

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Bussamove posted:

The highs are very high and the lows are frequent.

Been trying to get the secure folder on Woods the last couple days and every time I try I get gunned down by about fifteen sweatlords swarming me like a pack of wolves.

I did that one by running without armor and just an smg.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 10, 2021

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Still dying over and over. Pretty frustrated. I was hiding in the bushes trying to get my iron sight bolt action kills on scavs, some player started zapping me while I was relocating so I killed him, I let two players pass and then another one started shooting at me as I was trying to move to extract.

Killed him, and then got laser gunned buy some rear end in a top hat at the outskirts extract. I just want to extract I'm actively trying to avoid everybody.

Also still level one with Jager. That's kind of annoying.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 10, 2021

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

How long are you in raids? Outside boss going mans I rarely see more then one pmc or hear more then 3. Youre somehow seeing like 3 just going for extract. Take 5 to learn some stashes before you go for the exit?

I think that most of my issue is that I'm running into teams a lot. There's a ton of folks just rushing the bosses. I'm not hurting for rubles or guns, but drat I cannot keep armor and backpacks. I'm hung up on some quests so I have to buy armor on the market for the most part, not that it seems to matter much.

I have three quests in dorms and four quests in factory. I spammed factory for a few hours yesterday and fed lovely kids in the killed killa 100 times tracksuit.

I'm still really jumpy on this game. It's a really long load up load in and then nothing for a long time.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
In the open I do ok pvp. On woods or shoreline and on some of customs I take my pound of flesh. On factory I just don't play fast enough. My best bet is to 3rd party someone. I'm on the pistol kills and kill 6 players near the office. Not a great spot to fight. Counterstrike was a long time ago. If I can move around and get some space to fight its ok.

Just getting space lasered (face,eyes) while trying to leg someone to death is frustrating. Also helmets don't do jaaaaaack.

I don't mind losing fights because the other person was better than me. I totally had a clever girl moment on shoreline last night and I wasn't mad at all. that dude clapped me straight up. I just find the super high-end impossible bullets and armor stuff frustrating. So much of this game goes for realism and then you just have this fantastical Star Trek crap.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I enjoy the slow game. The sneaking and circling each other before a gunfight when you know you've each seen each other but you definitely both have something in your bag you want to get home. That's where the stakes are for me. I have a ton of keys but I am either not good enough or not armored enough to handle the hallway fights. So I don't usually get to use them.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

pocket pool posted:

What keys are you trying to use? I feel like the most popular locked rooms are very spawn-dependent - if you are too far away it's very risky to rush to the area only to be the second or third person in (let alone needing to traverse significant portions of the map).

Additionally, it can be difficult to solo take those rooms without a squadmate.

Out of curiosity - are you all just playing the same gun/ammo setup most runs? I have an inventory of random guns and I've been feeling like I want to just buy like 8-10 of a particular kit and run it for a while to see if I like it. The way my inventory is now, I simply grab whatever gun is on the top of the pile which means I end up jumping around a lot.

Inspector_666 posted:

What kind of guns and bullets do you usually bring?

Well for a hot minute there I was running shotguns but now it is generally AK variants although I have been playing with a VSS and Hunter on woods a bit. I have a fistful of AR and they are very in sitting in the bottom of my stash but I never seem to make it to them. I generally run good ammo bs bp whatever high pen stuff.

I also want to run some identical kits but I've been saving up for a while. I'm going to do some questing and then I'll see you about getting my money right.

There are a few folks that I play with but, only one of them has gotten past level 10 and this is everybody's first wipe so at best I can use them as a distraction/ablative armor and that's not fun for folks. I have both marked room keys for reserve but getting out of there still a bit of a struggle for me.

I have managed to upgrade my stash size get a bunch of cases and finally upgrade to the bravo container in the last week and that's been really nice.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

FileNotFound posted:

If you play evening US EST, I can throw some gear your way or help you with quests. At worst you'll have a lvl 46 loot pinata with you so if we both die, you'll know you'll get your poo poo back cause they will be busy dividing my kit up....

I might just take you up on that. My hours have been kind of irregular but it would be fun to play with someone who knows what's what instead of just figuring it out on the fly.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Gay Hitler posted:

Merking lvl 50 space marine chads with nothing but a 20k ruuble mp153 and a pocketful of flechette will never EVER get old.

Nice slick. Excuse me while I triple tap you in center mass

Game owns

The fleshette is my favorite ammo by far because I'm still kind of jumpy and it gives me a chance to Wing somebody and still hurt him enough to make them reconsider. I'll join the discord when I get home tonight I'm floating down the lake drowning bait right now because work is stressing me out.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Does anyone use soundlock or anything like that? I have a ton of hearing loss from my flight deck years, so some ranges are dead to me unless I have the vol cranked. Then I get shot in the head and blow my ears out.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

TheTofuShop posted:

There's a good set of baseline settings for soundlock and equalizerAPO in the discord useful links

Thank you. I just started messing about in the discord

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I am just stalled out. I don't seem to be getting any better and I can't keep up with the cash flow. Not sure what to do.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Oh yeah, for sure. I just squirreled away a few rubles but that's been the play loop as of late. I quest with some kits, get slapped and then scav and stash run. But that's blunting my desire to keep playing. I was progressing for a while, but now I'm doing the same cycle.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
ok.

Naked, armed, and in the dark.

After dinner.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 14, 2021

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Get bushwhacked by a high level duo on woods

Keep rotating on them till I get both of them after a protracted fight.

Watch the bodies for 5 min to make sure I don't get 3rd partied

Drop all my gear and snatch theirs as fast as possible

Dive into a bush to search

Clip through the map

Tarkov

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I just got back from break and some of the folks I play with are yelling about stuff that changed? I saw some barters and stuff but nothing earthshaking.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I don't know, this is my first wipe and I'm only a few weeks into it. Going out to find the spark plug was my first real task and it's fairly common. Even once after I had one and had a generator it was just a place for me to put a fuel I didn't know how to do any of this stuff.

On the other side of that I still haven't finished golden swag because of the amount of guys who live in the dorms. I'm a 27 now and It's kind of a bummer because all of the peacekeeper quests are behind that. I guess I'm going to start pistol running it pretty soon because I am getting a little low on funds and those ultra sweaty dudes go right through me.

The money is nuts in this game.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 20, 2021

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Ok, fair. I'm still low enough that none of that effects me yet. I've only ever seen one Tetris and two graphics cards. One that I just bought on the flea market with the last of my money to have something to put into my Bitcoin farm so I can have a coin once every 27 hrs. Ouch.

I'm not trying to make fun of anyone who is upset, I just got back to a solid page of rants from the two guys I know who play this a lot who already have more money than god.

I'm not here to upset folks or argue. That's not my way. It seems like it was a big deal, my bad.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 20, 2021

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I would think I would mostly be an issue for the interchangeable tech rushers. I'm still out here questing and don't come across them much. But yeah, I get it.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I have died more trying to get golden swag than anywhere else in the game. You want to talk about frustrating, none of that holds a candle to puting an early quest objective in the most camped spot in the game. Early, late, doesn't matter.

I tried at 3am texas time, in a night raid. The first two I spawned in the middle of other players. The next two I got shot after laying in a bush for 15 min.

I just tried with my best stuff, killed one on my way up, made it to the door and got lit by two separate people.

All of these barter problems aren't real if you can't even get early stuff done. The factory quests are worse. I finally asked for help on the discord, but it's doesn't need to be this way. Ah yes, do a bunch of plant tasks on a map the size of one building while hyperactive dorks in tracksuits and ultons gun you down.

One time, a gameboy spawned in the back of oli or something and I got it, never seen one any other way. Same with a graphics card. Found one in the power station on interchangeable on a scav run. Only time I've ever seen one.

Bitcoin is annoying, but as an actual new player on a base account who is putting time in, these are my issues.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I just thought Labs was a money sink

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Ok, I'm level 33? Ish. I just clicked over.

The first ten levels were brutal. Everything I saw killed me. Then flea and I could at least kill someone but really, it was still leg meta or headshots if I'm lucky. Solo most of the time, sometimes a duo with someone who is worse than me. I have the bitcoin farm and enough money that I can keep playing and carry my brother a few nights a week while he gets his rear end kicked.

A couple observations.
The bitcoin farm solves nothing for top tier dudes. They still rush tech spawns instantly on any map. Dorms is still best to try and quest at night at the end of the raid, even now I get slapped around hard regularly. Same with resort. Reserve is kinda a shitshow and everything at woods is grinding the boss. Any tasks in these areas are done with minimal gear and armor, as it doesn't help when a squad spams nades and impossible ammo at every moment. Infinite rubles and still sitting on all the high value loot. I'm crafting my graphics cards 72 hrs at a time because I've only ever seen one by happenstance. Same with the gameboy, I found my first last week because someone missed it, and if you don't want to hatchet run, you fight 3-5 man tank squads. Sometimes you win, but if your buddies aren't bushing your gear, it gets expensive quick.

This brings me to my second point, insurance with squads. That's super broken. I played with the goon group a couple weeks ago and other than once, I got all my stuff back when I was dropped. Five people, someone survives. Everyone else gets picked over. That's an issue.

The impossible armor and impossible bullets are silly, but it's a videogame. The market is horribly broken and even then, it doesn't change what it hopes too. Dynamic loot would help a ton.

I really like the game, I took out two 50+ levels the other day with a shotgun from a scav because I was mad that I got one tapped with a full load out the raid before. Sometimes that happens, but it's not normal. There should be a high level advantage, but it's a little silly right now.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Is this a joke or will it really wipe on Thurs?

Issajoke

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I started a few weeks ago as well and if you go back a couple of pages you can see me making almost the exact same aggravated post. I had some of the guys on the goon discord help me through a couple of the dorms quest because they can be really brutal everybody loves to fight there.

That said, I know it sounds stupid, but everything is map knowledge. The good thing is is you just get killed all the time so there's not a lot to risk. And honestly even now where I'm level 35 and working on some higher level quests I still have better runs with crappy gear. It's more fun to just try and bum rush people and shoot them in the face with a pistol or a crappy shotgun with fleshette than to get poppped by a quite scav with a million ruble load out.

It's definitely a persistents issue. It took me 2 weeks to get to level 10 and next time I'll be able to do it in a weekend. Now I'm looking for magical ledxs. And getting slapped around by guys with thousands of hours in the game and hundreds of millions of rubles. And I take some of them with me sometimes.

If you want to play with somebody who also is not good at the game and will die with good gear on him regularly but knows a few maps and is also kind of helping some of my other buddies who are pushing for level 10 hit me up. I play most evenings and I find the large group play to be really really terrifying so duos and trios are the max I can handle because I spend all of my time worried about team killing.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 5, 2021

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Bussamove posted:

It’s good to hear other people are having the same struggles while being in the 30s that I’m currently having— I feel like I’m way behind the rouble curve and just spent a huge chunk to upgrade my hideout fully but that’s just some scav runs away. The last few nights have been awful for running in to parties or getting sniped from odd angles though, so I’ve been super pissed at the game. That and I went to cosplay Killa on IC as bullshit fun with a friend and didn’t even make it into the drat mall.
I just did the same thing. I have been flat broke for weeks maxing out The hideout but now I have hit the part where the snowball is rolling.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

pnutz posted:

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I've ended up mia-ing to complete that because of people camping the area outside that room right to the last minute of the raid, and was happy to do it because it was Just That Awful to do the factory part :negative:

I honestly didn't have a ton of issues with message from the past. I was spamming factory for a few things and ran it while I was hot.

I've been baiting scavs to help my buddy get to level 10 real quick with just a shotgun. No armor, no helmet. Works great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

You'd think that with the amount of money they've made on this game they would hire at least one english-speaking person to re-write all the Google translated nonsense in the quests. Half the time I just straight up have to look the missions up because the descriptions are just complete word salad and the objectives aren't clear.

Even if it was crystal clear everything is really really vague in this game, I think by design.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 11, 2021